Your top 5 WRs in the draft

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Doctor

Your top 5 WRs in the draft

Post by Doctor »

Who and why?
Snake

Re: Your top 5 WRs in the draft

Post by Snake »

Tons of good WRs coming into the league every year. I’d be hard pressed to pay more than one with all the young cost controlled talent coming out. Anyway, I won’t pretend to have thought out preferences or know the top 5 this season but Olave is my favorite. Fantastic feet. Apparently he’s fast as shit too.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We should sign David Durden and bring him to camp.
Dareke Young
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:19 pm Tons of good WRs coming into the league every year. I’d be hard pressed to pay more than one with all the young cost controlled talent coming out. Anyway, I won’t pretend to have thought out preferences or know the top 5 this season but Olave is my favorite. Fantastic feet. Apparently he’s fast as shit too.
Olave is also my favorite. I hope he is there when we pick.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I haven't done a ton of research on the top receivers because I think most of them will be gone, but my top five receivers in a vacuum are probably:

- Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson as my top two. Being a Michigan alum, I have been watching them a bit through their careers. They are both super talented. Reasonable people can prefer one over the other.
- Jameson Williams is number three, and he's only third because of his injury. If he were healthy, he's probably number one.
- At four I would put Treylon Burks. I really want to like him, as his YAC ability is very impressive and he's obviously a physical specimen. He could be the next Deebo Samuel and I mean that as a high compliment. That said, there's something about him that gives me pause. Maybe it's the limited route tree, maybe it's his sloppy routes, maybe it's his underwhelming underwear performance at the Combine; likely all three. He could be the best in this top five and he could be a total bust. As such, fourth for me.
- Fifth, Drake London. I've liked him since before his injury. He's a more finesse Mike Evans with the best contested ball skills in the draft, imo. If he were healthy, he'd be higher for me.
Last edited by Cheb on Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm going to go wild here. Brace yourself:

1) Christian Watson, North Dakota State. He's not Randy Moss, but he has some Randy Moss like qualities. He's 6'4 208 and he ran a 4.36 and he PLAYS at 4.36. He's effortless running down the field, with our without the ball in his hands. He leaps off the screen, literally. He's one of the best size/speed/explosive prospects to come into the league in years. There's definitely a projection here, because of the level of competition, but the things he can do - run by guys, extend, win 50/50 balls - translate just fine. It'll take some time for him to round out his game, but by all accounts he's the hardest working guy in the building. I think he's going to make the teams that pass on him feel silly right away.

2) Chris Olave, Ohio State. I like him a bit better than Wilson. To me, Wilson is more of a slot guy, while Olive can be a Pro Bowler playing anywhere. Fast, quick, great hands, great routes. He's a more physical DeVonta Smith, maybe. Like Smith, he reminds me a bit of Marvin Harrison. It's tough to imagine he won't be a great NFL receiver.

3) Drake London, USC. Someone told me to watch him more after I comped him to a Mike Evans type. I did, and I was impressed. Yes, the similarities to Evans are undeniable, and if he was 3/4ths the career, he'll be a great pick. But he has a suddenness that Evans never did. He's another guy with a very high floor.

4) Jahan Dotson, Penn State. I just love watching him play. He was born to play with Tom Brady in 2013 and catch 127 passes. His crisp routes and aggressiveness and the violence he catches the ball with...he's going to be a stud. He could be the next, less crazy Antonio Brown. There are physically more impressive options, but he will make any offense much, much better immediately.

5) George Pickens, Georgia. This dude plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's on the slighter side, but he expects to win every contested catch and he usually does. To me, at 6'3 200, he's just a prototypical #1 option split end. To me he's another Chad Ochocinco.

Guys On Your list But Not Mine:

- Jameson Williams, Alabama. He could be #1 on this list, but I have that blown knee on my mind a bit, as well as some hesitation about Alabama guys translating (some do, some don't.) He'll go in the 1st and I have no problem with that. He's not quite that guy for me right now.

- Garrett Wilson, Ohio State. I like him fine, but I like some other guys better. It's that simple. He'll be a productive NFL receiver. Not sure he'll be a great one. A big part of it will be where he lands. He'd be best in a fast-break offense. Less so in a more traditional one where he's lining up against perimeter corners.

- Treylon Burks. I'm not his biggest fan. I think he'll be a good NFL receiver, not a great one. Allen Robinson is a good comp. That's not an insult. Robinson is a very good receiver.

Other Guys I Really Like A Bit Later:

- Kyle Phillips, UCLA. He's a superior version of Hunter Renfrow. In the 3rd/4th, he'll be an insane value.
- Wan'Dale Robinson, Kentucky. GBR! Kinda! I think he's either a poor man's Tyreek Hill, or a rich man's Mecole Hardman.
- Velus Jones, Tennessee. He was on my radar even before his strong combine. If he was 22 instead of 27, he'd be a top 50 pick.
- Michael Woods, Oklahoma. Not sure why he's not rated higher. He's going to be a very good NFL receiver if he can expand his route tree.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

I saw Wan'Dale Robinson in person and he stood out against good competition. Had some bad measurements (hilariously short arms) at the combine but you aren’t drafting him to be a jump ball 50/50 guy. Always a tough call with spark plug types. Some are game breakers, others are out of league in 2 seasons. Vision, CoD, all that plays a factor.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:25 am I'm going to go wild here. Brace yourself:

1) Christian Watson, North Dakota State. He's not Randy Moss, but he has some Randy Moss like qualities. He's 6'4 208 and he ran a 4.36 and he PLAYS at 4.36. He's effortless running down the field, with our without the ball in his hands. He leaps off the screen, literally. He's one of the best size/speed/explosive prospects to come into the league in years. There's definitely a projection here, because of the level of competition, but the things he can do - run by guys, extend, win 50/50 balls - translate just fine. It'll take some time for him to round out his game, but by all accounts he's the hardest working guy in the building. I think he's going to make the teams that pass on him feel silly right away.

2) Chris Olave, Ohio State. I like him a bit better than Wilson. To me, Wilson is more of a slot guy, while Olive can be a Pro Bowler playing anywhere. Fast, quick, great hands, great routes. He's a more physical DeVonta Smith, maybe. Like Smith, he reminds me a bit of Marvin Harrison. It's tough to imagine he won't be a great NFL receiver.
Smart putting Watson first, he had a fantastic combine but he is more likely there are 27 than Olave.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

2023 Bump!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's another really good year for WRs and there could be a real stud there for us at 19.

Evans is going into his final year at age 30. His playing style could lend itself to playing long past that, but his yips last year doesn't inspire much confidence. Godwin second year return from injury should be back to his baller self, but he's going into his penultimate year himself.

Getting a true weapon on a rookie deal for 5 years would be great.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Right now...admittedly I haven't studied 'em yet:

1) Quentin Johnston. I said elsewhere, he reminds me of a 6'4 CeeDee Lamb.
2) Jalin Hyatt. Highest boom or bust factor in this group. Floor is John Ross. Ceiling is Desean Jackson. Maybe Tyreek.
3) Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I think he's a better prospect than Wilson or Olave. He just didn't provide any tape this year.
4) Jordan Addison. Knocking him down because unlike the other guys, he's probably spending his career in the slot.
5) Rashee Rice. I love his game. Effortless, confident, and nuanced.
Let's roll another joint
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:01 pm Right now...admittedly I haven't studied 'em yet:

1) Quentin Johnston. I said elsewhere, he reminds me of a 6'4 CeeDee Lamb.
2) Jalin Hyatt. Highest boom or bust factor in this group. Floor is John Ross. Ceiling is Desean Jackson. Maybe Tyreek.
3) Jaxon Smith-Njigba. I think he's a better prospect than Wilson or Olave. He just didn't provide any tape this year.
4) Jordan Addison. Knocking him down because unlike the other guys, he's probably spending his career in the slot.
5) Rashee Rice. I love his game. Effortless, confident, and nuanced.
Checkout Parker Washington. Very interesting build at like 5'10" but his weight is listed anywhere from 207-215 lbs. Very stout WR with great short area burst.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

It’s a really good WR class once again. My top 5 are QJ, JSN, Addison, Hyatt and Zay Flowers but order is undetermined.

QJ is the rawest but has the highest upside at 6’4” with 4.4 speed and is elite after the catch. He’s got AJ Brown upside if he can refine his game.

JSN is an Amon Ra St Brown clone. Not big and not fast but just does everything right, knows how to get open, catches everything, and is great after the catch himself.

Addison is my pick for the Bucs as he’s got speed and he’s got the route running we need to complement Godwin and Evans. He’s the perfect fit. He’s a lot like Stefan Diggs.

Hyatt is an absolute speed demon, I think he runs in the 4.2s. He’s also got decent length and great hands. He could torch the league ala rookie Randy Moss or he could be John Ross. Likely somewhere in between like a taller Desean.

Zay Flowers is a personal favorite. He reminds me of Antonio Brown. He’s just got that swag and is just so well refined and explosive but isn’t a headcase.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Enjoyed reading last years projections and after seeing how they turned out.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Damn MJW, for someone that was wise to Christian Watson last year I'm disappointed you're missing out on Kayshon Boutte.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:57 pm Damn MJW, for someone that was wise to Christian Watson last year I'm disappointed you're missing out on Kayshon Boutte.
I'm a fan TBH. Frankly I'll take my chances with LSU's receiver room whenever possible. Boutte is a guy we should definitely be looking at in the 2nd.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How does Boutte translate to Watson
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:26 am How does Boutte translate to Watson
Is this mdb's take on innuendo?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:52 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:26 am How does Boutte translate to Watson
I'm asking if Doc thinks these two players play similar.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:18 am
acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:52 am

I'm asking if Doc thinks these two players play similar.
Look at those two names, say them out loud, and then think about it for a minute.... Do you get the joke now??