Your Bucs Big Board

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Doctor

Your Bucs Big Board

Post by Doctor »

Draft is a week away, what is your Bucs Big Board looking like?

Blue Chip Tier:
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Jalen Carter
Brian Branch
Bijan Robinson
Broderick Jones
Paris Johnson Jr

Great Tier:
Will Anderson
Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Darnell Wright
Nolan Smith
Will McDonald
Calijah Kancey

Good Tier:
Anthony Richardson
Will Levis
Peter Skoronski
Tyree Wilson
Lukas Van Ness
Myles Murphy
Bryan Bresee
BJ Ojulari
Anton Harrison
Last edited by Doctor on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Re: Your Bucs Big Board

Post by Phantom »

You lost me on Peter Skoronski

He’s the best OL
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You lost me when you didn't share yours.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don’t need to

Google him..

Your list is wack
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think JSN (WR) is blue chip. He was arguably better than Wilson and Olave when healthy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:52 pm I don’t need to

Google him..

Your list is wack
There’s a long list of players who dominate in college that don’t in the NFL. His measurables do matter.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Now that the combine is over and done with, and we've had plenty of time to think about these things, here's my big board sorted roughly into tiers of reaction:

Dance to the Podium (1-3):
- Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama. Best player in the draft, instant 10+ year starter at a huge need, would be tickled pink.
- Bryce Young, QB, Alabama. I've eaten burritos bigger than Bryce Young, but he's a very talented QB and imo the best in the draft.
- Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois. Best cover guy in the draft.

That's a Hell of a Pick (4-11):
- Brian Branch, DB, Alabama. The biggest hole in our secondary is nickel corner and we would get an excellent one in Branch.
- Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon. Second best corner in the draft imo with athletic upside for days, may not be a natural nickel corner but we could work with that given his athletic tools.
- Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson or Peter Skoronski, LTs, Georgia or Ohio State or Northwestern. Any of the Big Three LTs would be solid pickups and day one starters at imo our largest team need at the moment.
- Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson. Does he fit our scheme, not really, but he's a good edge rusher and we could make it work.
- Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech. Won't fall to us but it'd be nice if he did, good pass rusher who could play 3-4 end in base (probably) and still give nice reps on the edge in nickel.
- Darnell Wright, RT, Tennessee. A great tackle that plays on the right, which would force Wirfs to move to left tackle which I think would turn out okay. Honestly I like Wright's game a bit more than I do like the Big Three LTs, would be glad if we drafted him.

Mixed Feelings (12-22):
- A Trade Down. I don't think there's a large difference between the talent at #19 overall and for example the first part of the second round, and we have a ton of holes on the roster. If we can swing a trade down in our favor by a half round or so I'd be all for it to add more draft capital in the second and third rounds.
- Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland. He's good with solid size and athleticism but I don't think that he's a slot corner in the pros. I'd question the fit a bit but would trust the process and the talent to win through.
- Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma. He's a step below Jones/Johnson/Skoronski for me at LT and certainly not as good as Wright. Would be glad that we got a solid tackle but this feels like a reach to me.
- Will Levis, QB, Kentucky. He has tools I suppose, and there's an argument to be made that a guy like him could do well in an offense like ours; outside zones, rollouts, max protects, and unleash the dragon deep shots would be right in his wheelhouse. Not who I would pick but I get it.
- Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh. He would be in the running to be the best interior rusher on the team day one, but he gives up so much in the run game that he's an active liability. He should be a fulltime 4-3 undertackle, and we would ask him to be something else. Still, would trust Bowles and friends to make it work.
- Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame. He's good and all, but is he the best use of our first rounder, arguably not. We aren't losing games because of poor tight end play. And to be honest, I still feel a bit burned by OJ Howard.
- Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State. Like Banks, he's good but he's a more natural perimeter player, and I would wonder if he would do well in the slot where we would ask him to play. I'd trust we could make it work though.
- Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas. He's a very good player who shows three-down versatility and can make his own bread if the blocking ain't there... but he's a running back in the modern age. I can hear the boo-birds now if we draft him, and I can't really argue against their logic.
- Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia. He looks better on a combine track than he does on a football field, and I can't help but think of Noah Spence when I watch him play. Still, he has rare athletic traits for the position and I'd hope that he makes good.
- CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State. Honestly, outside of Bryce Young any first round QB would be a disappointment to me, and I'd rather we went in a different direction to make the team stronger. Nothing personal against Stroud, or Levis or Hooker or Richardson for that matter.
- O'Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida. He's the best guard in the draft but I worry about positional fit. He wins by size and not by athleticism. Moreover, is drafting an interior offensive lineman the best use of our first round pick? We have a bit of a logjam at the interior right now, and I feel we could make bigger waves elsewhere.
- Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia. Se Michael Mayer's entry above.

Surely You Can't be Serious (23-32):
- Jordan Addison or Josh Downs or Quentin Johnson or Zay Flowers or Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WRs, USC or North Carolina or Boston College or Ohio State. Drafting any receiver in the first round for this team at this juncture is poor resource management.
- Brian Breese, DT, Clemson. He's okay but I don't see anything special, certainly not a first-round talent.
- Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia. If he dropped down to #19, then there must be even more character issues we don't know about. I wasn't impressed by him in my pre-combine big board and my opinion of him has only lessened.
- Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Ohio State. He's good and all, but at #19 this is a reach imo.
- Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee. Question his goofy offense, his knee injury, and if this would be the best use of resources.
- Drew Sanders, LB?, Arkansas. A bit of an odd duck, not sure I am buying what he's selling as a pro prospect.

Frustrations Abound (33-35):
- A Trade Up.
- Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah. A move tight end in the first round, you gotta be kidding me.
- Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida. Tebow-esque accuracy.
- Lukas Van Ness, DL, Iowa. All sizzle and no steak.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think frustration may be in your future. Apparently, JL was trying to trade up since the 5th pick when we drafted Wirfs. He tight-lipped so hard when the OTs came up in the presser, he's got to be crushing hard on 1 or 2 of them. I'm seeing trade up hard.

But just like then it takes two to tango. Maybe no one trades down. And while I'd love to have two Day 2 picks in a draft like this, I'd gladly package them up to hop back in the bottom of the first for a few names. Like I'm hearing Brian Branch in the second? Goodness, trade up please!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Different scenario. That 2020 team had one weakness at right tackle and clearly a championship window. You don’t mind trading up in those scenarios.

I don’t think Licht has that luxury now with multiple areas needing to be addressed and still limited cap space into next season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think you are trying to apply your lens to someone else actions.

Whenever you hear JL speak it's not in those terms at all. He talks about BPA and "tiers". If there are a bunch of guys on the same tier you stay put or even try to trade back some, like the Vea draft. When there is one guy left on a higher tier, you try to trade up, like the Wirfs draft. If all we needed was "a RT" we could've stayed put for Austin Jackson or Isiah Wilson. But we wanted the guy we had on the highest tier.

It would not surprise me if JL has an OT or two on the highest tier. Or that he would pull the trigger to go up and grab one.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:15 pm I think frustration may be in your future. Apparently, JL was trying to trade up since the 5th pick when we drafted Wirfs. He tight-lipped so hard when the OTs came up in the presser, he's got to be crushing hard on 1 or 2 of them. I'm seeing trade up hard.

But just like then it takes two to tango. Maybe no one trades down. And while I'd love to have two Day 2 picks in a draft like this, I'd gladly package them up to hop back in the bottom of the first for a few names. Like I'm hearing Brian Branch in the second? Goodness, trade up please!
I could absolutely see a theoretical trade up into the "That's a Hell of a Pick" territory. I probably wouldn't like it in the moment, but I also didn't like it in the moment when the 49ers fleeced us for a third round pick for the privilege of moving up one spot to grab Tristan Wirfs, and that's worked out alright.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:17 am I think you are trying to apply your lens to someone else actions.

Whenever you hear JL speak it's not in those terms at all. He talks about BPA and "tiers". If there are a bunch of guys on the same tier you stay put or even try to trade back some, like the Vea draft. When there is one guy left on a higher tier, you try to trade up, like the Wirfs draft. If all we needed was "a RT" we could've stayed put for Austin Jackson or Isiah Wilson. But we wanted the guy we had on the highest tier.

It would not surprise me if JL has an OT or two on the highest tier. Or that he would pull the trigger to go up and grab one.
There was a consensus tier for the tackles in 2020. If they feel the same way this year I won't disagree as it appears there are 3-4 that look to be top 20 picks.

I just think they have a lot more needs this time around. Moving up a few spots to grab a top tier tackle for a 3rd round pick didn't hurt us much in 2020. In fact it turned out to be a brilliant move.

That 3rd rounder could be a starter or very important depth for us in 2023 though.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He could be, but he's more likely to be a bust. I get wanting to get as many hits as possible, I also get wanting to take as many swings as possible. Especially in a draft class like this that looks thick at Day 2.

But the main thing is hitting. Especially hitting big. That's what the draft is for. Finding your future RoH guys.

And sometimes you really really like a guy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You're trading the chance to draft Chris Godwin.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You're not wrong. We're also particularly good at hitting in the 3rd.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:44 pm You're not wrong. We're also particularly good at hitting in the 3rd.
Had a long run of dorfing in the second round back in the day.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Ideally I’d like to go OL or TE. Mayer can be a difference maker for our offense. We desperately were missing Gronk last year and he’s as close to him as you’re going to yet. I would be good with Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright or Paris Johnson if they fall to us for our OL.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 pm Ideally I’d like to go OL or TE. Mayer can be a difference maker for our offense. We desperately were missing Gronk last year and he’s as close to him as you’re going to yet. I would be good with Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright or Paris Johnson if they fall to us for our OL.
Not sure how much TEs will be used in the passing game with the new offense.
Unless its going to be a big part of the offense, I'd rather use it on the trenches.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 pm Ideally I’d like to go OL or TE. Mayer can be a difference maker for our offense. We desperately were missing Gronk last year and he’s as close to him as you’re going to yet. I would be good with Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright or Paris Johnson if they fall to us for our OL.
Gotta add Anton Harrison to the mix as well. One of those four should be there at 19. Whether our franchise QB is on the roster already or will be next year, gotta have his protection in place. Especially with Fat Smitty gone.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

For what it's worth I see a trade down just as likely if we miss out on the top tier.

I think we're doing our due diligence checking out guys like Levis and Hooker, but overall the chances of anyone in this class or on our roster being "the guy" is like 14-25%. And I think Baker easily comes in 3rd in this class, if not higher. Which means a lot of this QB talk is just trying to bait a trade with a team like the Vikings or Seahawks. To either hop us and further push down a real target or to trade with us.

All smoke and mirrors right now.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

There are like 5 players in the top forty that would stop me from trading back. Well that and trade down partners.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Pffft, bunch of casuals talking about rookie saviors. Something Something Madden Generation.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:53 pm There are like 5 players in the top forty that would stop me from trading back. Well that and trade down partners.
Trade down partners are the key. If you can trade down 2-3 spots, pick up an extra late day two or early day three pick, and still get the guy you want, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:37 pm Pffft, bunch of casuals talking about rookie saviors. Something Something Madden Generation.
Thou shalt not covet thy first round pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:37 pm Pffft, bunch of casuals talking about rookie saviors. Something Something Madden Generation.
"ToiletBowles wouldn't know what to do with my top 20 picks anyways" something something Caleb gluck.