Donovan Smith signs with Chiefs

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Al Bundy

Donovan Smith signs with Chiefs

Post by Al Bundy »

Looks like Smith is going to have some competent coaching this season.
mdb1958

Re: Donovan Smith signs with Chiefs

Post by mdb1958 »

Al Bundy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 pm Looks like Smith is going to have some competent coaching this season.
How much? Could that help with a comp pick?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Don't think this needed its own thread but hey, we're here now.

I guess the Chiefs didn't get the "Anybody is better than Smith" message.

Also, for comparison we got 8 years of Smith for $60M. Hate on the dude all you will but that's a lot of value for a long time... and oh yeah, a chip.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“Up to $9m” is operative phrase. Same way Baker Mayfield was paid “up to $8m.” How much, if any, was fully guaranteed?

Make the team first.
Last edited by Snake on Wed May 03, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We will get to see how he performs with a mobile QB anyways.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

I seriously doubt this will happen but if his play improves in KC, then our O-Line coach should be given his walking papers.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:55 pm “Up to $9m” is operative phrase. Same way Baker Mayfield was paid “up to $8m.” How much, if any, was fully guaranteed?

Make the team first.
It should tell you something that the SB winners gave what people describe as a 30 year old failure at LT MORE potentially than a team in need of a QB gave a former #1 overall pick.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

"It should tell you something" is this years "misallocation of resources"
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 pm
Al Bundy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 pm Looks like Smith is going to have some competent coaching this season.
How much? Could that help with a comp pick?
No, because the Buccaneers released him.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Best of luck Donovan.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:51 pm Don't think this needed its own thread but hey, we're here now.

I guess the Chiefs didn't get the "Anybody is better than Smith" message.

Also, for comparison we got 8 years of Smith for $60M. Hate on the dude all you will but that's a lot of value for a long time... and oh yeah, a chip.
OBP has NINE RINGS and cut Donovan Smith. I think I'll listen to them over you. Sorry.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not sure what you're arguing, but I appreciate the free rent.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:46 pm Not sure what you're arguing, but I appreciate the free rent.
I think you're pretty clear on the point I'm making.

In any case, Donovan Smith is terrible.* But he's a predictable terrible and Andy Reid is the best shot he has at being slightly less terrible. Good luck to him.

* - That's only if you go by your eyeballs, his PFF grade, his sack and pressure stats, and, of course, his league-leading penalties. Just those things though.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Funny how terrible* keeps finding a starting job and a pay day. Ever consider maybe you're a bit dramatic when it comes to hating on players?

Smith is the definition of a stopgap. Just barely good enough but you can't wait to replace, only you can't seem to find a replacement (despite how much the "Anybody but" crowd yells). He's the tallest midget. The one you pick for your dodgeball team once everyone you would want is gone and you see what's left.

After countless "We're never winning with Smith at LT" posts, you still haven't gotten all that egg off your face.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

It's rare that you can sign a veteran free agent after the draft to be your presumptive starting left tackle, but the Chiefs seemingly just did so. Donovan Smith's biggest competition is that rookie from Oklahoma, the guy who isn't Anton Harrison, who I know nothing about. I'd presume that Smith wins the job.

Who knows, maybe Donovan has a Donald-Penn-to-the-Raiders resurgence to his career. Maybe he shakes that unspecified off-field monkey off his back that was an issue last season and he gets back to Superbowl form. Or maybe he sends Mahomes to IR.

We'll see.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 pm I seriously doubt this will happen but if his play improves in KC, then our O-Line coach should be given his walking papers.
People are going to quickly realize Smith was not even that bad when we watch whatever we wheel out at RT/LT this season in comparison (that's not Wirfs)

Was a solid NFL starter. At worst. We won't be wheeling out a solid starter in his place
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Barnzy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 pm I seriously doubt this will happen but if his play improves in KC, then our O-Line coach should be given his walking papers.
People are going to quickly realize Smith was not even that bad when we watch whatever we wheel out at RT/LT this season in comparison (that's not Wirfs)

Was a solid NFL starter. At worst. We won't be wheeling out a solid starter in his place

Donovan, thank you for starting to help us get out of debt.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

You say this as if Smith wasn’t the worst starting LT in the league last year, we were already getting that horrible level of play you are attempting to warn us about from Donovan.

Even if we get bad tackle play, we are getting it at a cheaper price than if we decided to keep Donovan.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

So you are of the opinion that Wirfs will not succeed at LT?
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:42 am

I dunno. I'd be told to re-read the post.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:51 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:42 am

Oops. Good point. I missed his qualifier. My morning postings are done hastily since I am not, like you, retired.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:59 am
mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:51 am

Oops. Good point. I missed his qualifier. My morning postings are done hastily since I am not, like you, retired.
Hey, I just cleaned up a broke vise and now need to find a circlip for it - you don't know what you're missing.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:59 am
Hey, I just cleaned up a broke vise and now need to find a circlip for it - you don't know what you're missing.
Buy a better vise next time.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:13 am
mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 am

I'm sorry, does the US still make them?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:14 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:13 am
I'm sorry, does the US still make them?
https://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-shop-tools-vises.html
Don't tread on me
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:29 am

You say this as if Smith wasn’t the worst starting LT in the league last year, we were already getting that horrible level of play you are attempting to warn us about from Donovan.

Even if we get bad tackle play, we are getting it at a cheaper price than if we decided to keep Donovan.
Let's add some perspective to this. I like PFF's grade for OL/DL. They're unbiased and grade every snap. They were pretty spot on not rating Tryon and Hall not high in the draft as well (but that's a different topic).

60 grading is average starter/good backup, 65 is an above average starter, 70 is a good starter level player. Anything above 70 is very good starting level player and towards 80 is pro bowl level. With 90 being the best of the best.

Smith grades since being drafted:

2015 - 62.5
2016 - 63.9
2017 - 64.9
2018 - 66.4
2019 - 70.4
2020 - 71.8
2021 - 83.3
2022 - 58.1

Where is the outlier here? Hmm. For mine it's 2022. You could say 2021 sure. Even if you remove 2021's elite grading with Brady...before Brady they still rated Smith as a good starting level OL.

He improved EVERY single season up until last season. What happened last season? He was injured and out 4 games and carrying injuries in games he did play.

Chiefs are a pretty smart organization I would think. Not betting against Smith having a solid to good year for them.

Also, did I say the Bucs shouldn't of cut him? No. They had to cut him because they're one of the most cash strapped teams in the league. I'm just saying the replacement tackle we wheel out is likely going to get destroyed all year. That's just the way of the NFL. Would've thought people learnt that watching Josh Wells replace Smith whenever he missed a snap (I think our other tackle will be better than Wells but it's a good example for tackle drop off. Edges in this league feast on backup level guys).

We're about to wheel out one of our 32 inch guards at tackle because we have no other choice. Call it poor future planning, the cost of the SB, being unlucky with how the draft fell. Whatever it is, the reality at tackle this year besides Wirfs is grim.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Barnzy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:19 pm

Let's add some perspective to this. I like PFF's grade for OL/DL. They're unbiased and grade every snap. They were pretty spot on not rating Tryon and Hall not high in the draft as well (but that's a different topic).

60 grading is average starter/good backup, 65 is an above average starter, 70 is a good starter level player. Anything above 70 is very good starting level player and towards 80 is pro bowl level. With 90 being the best of the best.

2015 - 62.5
2016 - 63.9
2017 - 64.9
2018 - 66.4
2019 - 70.4
2020 - 71.8
2021 - 83.3
2022 - 58.1

Where is the outlier here? Hmm. For mine it's 2022. You could say 2021 sure. Even if you remove 2021's elite grading with Brady...before Brady they still rated Smith as a good starting level OL.

He improved EVERY single season up until last season. What happened last season? He was injured and out 4 games and carrying injuries in games he did play.

Chiefs are a pretty smart organization I would think. Not betting against Smith having a solid to good year for them.

Also, did I say the Bucs shouldn't of cut him? No. They had to cut him because they're one of the most cash strapped teams in the league. I'm just saying the replacement tackle we wheel out is likely going to get destroyed all year. That's just the way of the NFL. Would've thought people learnt that watching Josh Wells replace Smith whenever he missed a snap (I think our other tackle will be better than Wells but it's a good example for tackle drop off. Edges in this league feast on backup level guys).

We're about to wheel out one of our 32 inch guards at tackle because we have no other choice. Call it poor future planning, the cost of the SB, being unlucky with how the draft fell. Whatever it is, the reality at tackle this year besides Wirfs is grim.
Interesting.

2022 would absolutely be the outlier. Years 1-7 there was continuous gradual progression. Every year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Donovan Smith sucks.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You must be fun at parties
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Barnzy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:19 pm

2015 - 62.5
2016 - 63.9
2017 - 64.9
2018 - 66.4
2019 - 70.4
2020 - 71.8
2021 - 83.3
2022 - 58.1

Problem is he has now hit 30, and is massively overpaid. Usually when players hit that age and hit a steep decline, it’s not just because they had a down year. It’s rare you see players bounce back in their 30s.

The reality at tackle LAST year besides Wirf was grim because Donovan was playing as bad as anyone in the league while collecting some of the biggest checks on the team. You are acting like we created this situation out of nowhere when he’s the one that put us in this situation by being absolute asscheeks last year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It was smart for us to release him. It is smart for the Chiefs to sign him. Both things can be true.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:45 pm Donovan Smith sucks.
Doctor wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:02 am You must be fun at parties
Are you two married? God damn you go back and forth bickering every single day across every single thread.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hear me out...

Hall of Famer Donovan Smith.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

What's that PFF grade now?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Smith was getting his clocked cleaned in the first half, but to his credit was able to rally in the second half and OT.