The Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:09 am
MJW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:10 pm

I don't give a shit whether they love him, hate him, or laugh at him.

I give a shit that he's a lousy coach with a 5 year track record of coaching mediocre, unprepared teams.

The guy was handed arguably the greatest "coaching transition" situation since probably Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin. He had the greatest quarterback of all time. He was in one of the worst divisions in recent NFL history. And he went sub-.500. This is after posting 3 losing records in 4 years with the Jets.

He's a terrible head coach. The end.
Players loving the coach means nothing. Players loved Raheem so much they went to Drake concerts together in the offseason. Bowles will be judged on his ability to win games as a HC, not his ability to get players to re-sign. If this were the NBA, that would be a different story though.
Yeah, defending him because "the players love him" is worthless. Not a ton of guys over the years seemed like they loved Belichick. I haven't heard a ton of guys talk about how much they love Shanny Jr. Or Shanny Sr. for that matter.

Do the players listen when they talk? Are they able to communicate effectively when they do talk? And are they confident enough in their hires that they can delegate to their assistants?

Those are more important than being "liked."
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:35 am MJ has this reasoning that you can pay a coach enough to not want to be here.
Yay! An mdbism. Dig it...
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doooshnzl wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am
mdb1958 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:35 am MJ has this reasoning that you can pay a coach enough to not want to be here.
Yay! An mdbism. Dig it...
You seen the tree video yet?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's not so much "like" as it is "buy in". BB is quite disliked but most of the time, at least on defense, players are bought in because it works. Having a locker room like and support you are icing on buying in, do they want to learn, be coached, fix what they were doing wrong. Listening to defenders speak they seem really bought into Bowles scheme. They are very confident in themselves and their ability to defend anyone. Homegrown and developed one of the best secondaries in the NFL. We lost our sack leader, yet we were able to finish 7th in the league in sacks through sheer creative scheming and distribution. All while getting very little help from their offense last year.

And now I think we just had a fantastic draft for the defense. I often speak of BPA for the draft, finding guys who can possibly be Ring of Honor guys for your franchise. I think we got 3 guys with that kind of upside, Kancey, Dennis, and Ramirez.

Three guys that have eerily similar size to other buc legends. You can only control your size so much, but far more important, everything they CAN control is dialed up to a 10. Their technique, work ethic, and love of their craft is everything you want. They have similar interviews as well, most notably how hungry they are to dial up the one thing they can control but isn't at a 10 at the moment- the digesting of the playbook. You add pro strength, conditioning, and nutritional guidance as they finish growing into their adult bodies, you have three guys I believe are truly going to be great starters for us for a long time.

The key to a great defense isn't simply having great players but complementary players. Players that feed off each other, work off each other, and maximize each other. As Tampa fans we know the insane ripple effect a fantastic 3tech can have on the rest of the defense. The return of Shaq can be huge, but even if we temper it there we have other positions to be excited about. Our prized project Joe "Almost Got There" Tryon has been developing well and seems to elicit excitement from guys like Bowles and new LB Coach George Edwards. While not as notorious as the Arians offense the Bowles defense has quite a learning curve as well, but when digested it can be devasting. Rotational roles for SirVocea and Jose to learn to process and execute the scheme behind probowl leadership is about as ideal of a situation as you can ask for. When these guys can play fast it's going to be something wonderful to see.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:33 pm And now I think we just had a fantastic draft for the defense. I often speak of BPA for the draft, finding guys who can possibly be Ring of Honor guys for your franchise. I think we got 3 guys with that kind of upside, Kancey, Dennis, and Ramirez.

Three guys that have eerily similar size to other buc legends. You can only control your size so much, but far more important, everything they CAN control is dialed up to a 10. Their technique, work ethic, and love of their craft is everything you want. They have similar interviews as well, most notably how hungry they are to dial up the one thing they can control but isn't at a 10 at the moment- the digesting of the playbook. You add pro strength, conditioning, and nutritional guidance as they finish growing into their adult bodies, you have three guys I believe are truly going to be great starters for us for a long time.

The key to a great defense isn't simply having great players but complementary players. Players that feed off each other, work off each other, and maximize each other. As Tampa fans we know the insane ripple effect a fantastic 3tech can have on the rest of the defense. The return of Shaq can be huge, but even if we temper it there we have other positions to be excited about. Our prized project Joe "Almost Got There" Tryon has been developing well and seems to elicit excitement from guys like Bowles and new LB Coach George Edwards. While not as notorious as the Arians offense the Bowles defense has quite a learning curve as well, but when digested it can be devasting. Rotational roles for SirVocea and Jose to learn to process and execute the scheme behind probowl leadership is about as ideal of a situation as you can ask for. When these guys can play fast it's going to be something wonderful to see.
Just for posterity. I hope you’re right.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

mdb will go with we did what we could.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Either Vea or Kancey will demand a double team most plays. If Shaq can return to form and JTS can find it in year 3, that's a strong D-line.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Strong, deep, and versatile.

Hall, Daiby, Gaines, Vea, Kancey, Gill, Tryon, David, White, Dennis, Shaq, Nacho... that's a lot of different fronts right there.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:31 pm Either Vea or Kancey will demand a double team most plays. If Shaq can return to form and JTS can find it in year 3, that's a strong D-line.
If we cause QB movement early - the OLB's will feed. I really wanna see a four man rush on third down.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We were 7th in sacks last year with 45, led by our NT and the great Anthony Nelson. That is wild.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:39 pm Strong, deep, and versatile.

Hall, Daiby, Gaines, Vea, Kancey, Gill, Tryon, David, White, Dennis, Shaq, Nacho... that's a lot of different fronts right there.
Strong, deep, and versatile.

Campbell, Dupree, Jarrett, Goldman, Andersen, Carter, Ebiketie, Harrison...that's a lot of different fronts right there.

(By the way, Nacho isn't here anymore, Shaq and Gill are both coming off major injuries, I don't know who Dennis is, and I barely know who Gaines is. But the "name a bunch of names and people will think it's a good group" trick is one of my favorite language hacks so kudos.)
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

SirVocea Dennis
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Greg Gaines
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:57 pm We were 7th in sacks last year with 45, led by our NT and the great Anthony Nelson. That is wild.
But the coach sucks.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:16 pm SirVocea Dennis
Oh, right. The Day Three rookie.

It's weird how Doctor is so adamant about rejecting "rookie saviors" but then has no problem declaring rookies - especially day three rookies - as part of the solution before they've put on pads.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:57 pm We were 7th in sacks last year with 45, led by our NT and the great Anthony Nelson. That is wild.
But the coach sucks.
As a defensive coordinator, he's a great coach.

As a head coach, he's a great defensive coordinator.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Meant Nelson not Nacho.

I don't expect Dennis to come in and save the team like you do Caleb. I expect him to be a contributing cog to a much bigger machine.

I understand if you don't understand. Given your lack of high school reps and all.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 pm Meant Nelson not Nacho.

I don't expect Dennis to come in and save the team like you do Caleb. I expect him to be a contributing cog to a much bigger machine.

I understand if you don't understand. Given your lack of high school reps and all.
I'm guessing you spend a great deal of time explaining to women why they wouldn't understand something, like every other beta male feminist.

I'm also guessing you'd never heard of Dennis before we drafted him.

And yes, with the exceptions of lots and lots and lots and lots of highly drafted quarterbacks, highly drafted quarterbacks never help turn around franchises. Unless they've been dumped by at least three teams, like Baker Mayfield. Then they must be great.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:10 pm I do not think a female head coach would receive the level of respect required from the locker room to be effective in the job at this point in time. The "never taken a snap" element is part of that, but not remotely all.
😴
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm
But the HEAD coach sucks.
Don't tread on me