Defense Front 7 - anticipated snap counts

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Defense Front 7 - anticipated snap counts

Post by Snake »

In another thread, Doctor posted the list of players likely to be in the defensive front rotation. Figured it's a decent time to look at returning contributors and playing time. The numbers might throw you off, because it's percentages of snaps played...if player suited up for those games.

e.g. shaq barrett played in 8 games, 382 snaps, and had 71% of snaps. Nelson? 17 games, 633 snaps, 57% of snaps. Shaq was heavier in the rotation when healthy. despite nelson having a larger raw total. savvy?

2022 - percentage of defensive snaps played

(returning players)
LVD - 96%
White - 96%
JTS - 75%
Vea - 59%
Nelson - 57% - (up 26% from previous year)
Hall - 36%
Senat - 20%
O'Connor - 9%
Britt - 6%

(players no longer under contract)
Nunez-Roches - 49%
Hicks - 55%
Gholston - 43%
Odenigbo - 47% (1 game in TB)
Nassib - 30%
Russell - 11%
Avery - 13%

(front seven additions + rookies)
Gaines - Veteran DT
Kancey - Rookie 3T
Diaby - rookie EDGE/5T type
Dennis - rookie ILB
Four practice squad guys who aren't worth mentioning...yet.

Thoughts:

3-4 DE aka 5T is a massive hole until proven otherwise. Logan Hall needs to play better this season, and Diaby better be ready to play quickly.

If LVD/White stay healthy, there isn't much room for LB snaps at all. Dennis seems like a special teamer, like Britt (80% of ST snaps guy), unless something changes.
Snake

Re: Defense Front 7 - anticipated snap counts

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 pm Meant Nelson not Nacho.

I don't expect Dennis to come in and save the team like you do Caleb. I expect him to be a contributing cog to a much bigger machine.

I understand if you don't understand. Given your lack of high school reps and all.
Took this from another thread

Not trying to play gotcha, but where do you see him fitting in given the snaps?

DW45 and LVD are never off the field unless injured. Which, admittedly, becomes more and more likely as both of them continue to accrue service time.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Part of the reason they (and AJW) played so damn much last year was a real lack of options. Even then I'm only expecting some relief and ST duties, more than enough year 1 as he learns the system.

Now JTS-Dennis-White-Ramirez does sound like a Bowles line up come 2024/25.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:30 pm Part of the reason they (and AJW) played so damn much last year was a real lack of options. Even then I'm only expecting some relief and ST duties, more than enough year 1 as he learns the system.

Now JTS-Dennis-White-Ramirez does sound like a Bowles line up come 2024/25.
I definitely think Dennis is projecting as starting in 2024, if Bowles is here. White and LVD are FAs.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Russell is still with the team. Curious to see if Mike Greene and Previlon get any playing time
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can we get to the QB with a four man rush on third down?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Depends on the four. But if two are Vea and Kancey I feel good about it.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I think that Greg Gaines and Logan Hall take most of those Nacho/Hicks/Gholston base defense 5-tech reps next season. Senat put in some good reps as backup nose last year and I hope his role expands this upcoming season. Patrick O'Connor can give folks a breather but not much else. Vita's gonna Vea at a frustratingly low utilization percentage.

While Kancey can contribute in base defense at least in a sub role, what I'd want to see from him and want him focused on the most are 3-tech reps in nickel and dime defense. If he gives us 5-10 reps in base D a game but plays every snap of nickel and dime with juice, I'd call that a resounding success. We need him to bring the thunder on passrushing reps, not be a warm body in the middle.

Edge is... interesting to say the least. While I hope that Shaq is back, I'm not holding my breath on it. Ditto with waiting for JTS to finally put it together and finish his reps. I like Anthony Nelson's consistency and thought he was our best edge last season.

I don't know what they plan to do with Diaby in base defense. They could ask him to stand up as an edge rusher at OLB, or they could bounce him inside at 5-tech and ask him to win with power. Both have their pros and cons. I'd see how well he moved at the former before trying him at the latter, and I imagine that Bowles sees Diaby as a chess piece moving forward who could do both based on the package called.

Jose Ramirez I expect to be a sub-package edge rusher if he sees the field at all. It's hard to find his stuff to see, so I don't have much of a strong opinion on him. What opinion I do have is that I doubt he sees the field over the above guys outside of injury. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Assuming White plays for us, I think that he and LVD are stonecold locks at ILB, and both Dennis and Britt can focus largely on specials on Sunday.

As far as percentages go, I have little to no idea beyond MLB being set. What I do know is that there are snaps to win in our front seven, and plenty of them to go around. The cream will rise to the top.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I have a sneaking suspicion that JTS breaks through this season and gets 15 sacks.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I can't really see Shaq back at all. The physical issues of rehabbing his injury now coupled with the mental/emotional tolls he's experiencing are a lot to overcome.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And this is why you have to get the bag while you can.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

13F11B wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:49 am I have a sneaking suspicion that JTS breaks through this season and gets 15 sacks.
JTS really is the new Gaines Adams. Plays the exact same way (always running themselves out of the play), but every year is going to be the year they breakout.

I wish I had your optimism over JTS.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:15 pm
13F11B wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:49 am I have a sneaking suspicion that JTS breaks through this season and gets 15 sacks.
JTS really is the new Gaines Adams. Plays the exact same way (always running themselves out of the play), but every year is going to be the year they breakout.

I wish I had your optimism over JTS.

We could of picked Tuipulotu instead of Mauch - that would have lit a fire.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Where is this suspicion coming from?

People like to complain that Devin White runs himself out of plays, JTS does so with much more consistency. He is very easily confused on play fakes. Doesn't possess much of a pass rush repertoire. Hand usage is still non existent with him as well.

He's looking more and more like a guy who will have his 5th year option declined.
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:31 am
Where is this suspicion coming from?

People like to complain that Devin White runs himself out of plays, JTS does so with much more consistency. He is very easily confused on play fakes. Doesn't possess much of a pass rush repertoire. Hand usage is still non existent with him as well.

He's looking more and more like a guy who will have his 5th year option declined.
Gut feeling based on what I have seen on the field. Nothing more. I am not a coach. However, I had similar feeling about Ronde Barber and John Lynch back in the day when people were saying they sucked. I may very well be wrong, but it is just a feeling.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

JTS was a developmental pick, something that usually drives fans of bad teams mad as they demand instant production, and tend to be at high risk of busting the moment there is a regime change (also common for bad teams). He was a raw one year wonder, took the COVID year off, and then joined the bucs. We've been grooming him for two years, refining a lot of his flaws which were really just lack of coaching, practice, and playing time.

This doesn't need to be a gut feeling or anything, there is a lot on the table to like about JTS's development. You can hear the coaches talking about it. In addition to having improved his positional craft they all (and Joe) speak to being able to think less and play faster having had more reps in what is not an easy scheme.

I suspect JTS will be a lot of people's break out darling this year.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:56 am JTS was a developmental pick, something that usually drives fans of bad teams mad as they demand instant production, and tend to be at high risk of busting the moment there is a regime change (also common for bad teams). He was a raw one year wonder, took the COVID year off, and then joined the bucs. We've been grooming him for two years, refining a lot of his flaws which were really just lack of coaching, practice, and playing time.

This doesn't need to be a gut feeling or anything, there is a lot on the table to like about JTS's development. You can hear the coaches talking about it. In addition to having improved his positional craft they all (and Joe) speak to being able to think less and play faster having had more reps in what is not an easy scheme.

I suspect JTS will be a lot of people's break out darling this year.
I hope you're both right.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Cheb, Adetomiwa Adebawore would have been a great 4th round pick for us if we had traded down.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:57 pm @Cheb, Adetomiwa Adebawore would have been a great 4th round pick for us if we had traded down.
Yeah? What tiny college did he go to?
Don't tread on me