The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:38 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:06 pm

All I see is you making excuses for a QB in his 6th NFL season. Brady had no issue taking shots his first year in Tampa after 20 with the Patriots. He had to learn a new system, OC, HC, new town, the works. No one needed to make excuses for him because he knew wtf to do. I guess Mayfield needs to have another 10+ seasons under his belt before the excuses can stop, eh?

The End
He just needs more time?
It's sad that this jaded tank loving fanbase has made this a punchline, but yes. The pipe dream that some new kid will walk in and make life all better is just not base on reality. Yes, growing pains take time.
Snake

Post by Snake »

you realize the chances of Baker Mayfield being the quarterback next season are low, yes?

Making all of this “investment” a waste.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yes, because there's only 1 player on offense.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:56 pm

What I can appreciate is results. Production. If it leads to winning football, then his praises will be sung. Until then, not a note will be sung.
Still not singing
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:14 pm “You see there are great shots there to take, but Baker doesn't (too scared, trying to protect the ball)”

If Baker does not play this way, it’s going to be turnover central. Bad things happen when he gets the green light, it’s that simple.

This is the issue. You’re either going to get neutered Baker with limited upside, or slinging Baker who’s gonna turn it over a bunch.
I’d turn him loose. Sink or swim, bitch.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Canales needs to do something about this
ucs' offensive drives since tying the game at 10:

29 yards, punt
18 yards, punt
9 yards, punt
6 yards,
https://x.com/gregauman/status/17177323 ... UWvIIdVFCw

Run,run, pass

He remind me of Dungyball. It doesn't end well.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I see a lot of criticism of Canales across local and national sports media for not getting the ball to Evans often enough. Is it fair criticism? I am not sure it is.

Since Brady era began I've realized why Brady never had strong chemistry with Evans unless big plays were needed. Evans is more a VJax type tall, physical speedster than he is a polished, agile route runner like Davante Adams is or Brandon Marshall was back in the day. Someone like AJ Brown, who can be a big play receiver, also is great in short, high traffic areas. Guys like Diggs, Jefferson, Chase, Kupp and even rookie Jordan Addison often seem to possess a great blend of agility with acceleration, straight line speed and/or strength.

I feel like Evans is quite different from those receivers who are high volume targets. They may be schemed open more effectively, but they also are smoother athletes that don't have to rely on shoving the defender to gain separation.

I think Canales is rightfully increasing focus on Godwin being that primary guy on money downs as a chain mover. It isn't a coincidence that this trend was what we had for 3 years of Brady.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I'm not 100% sure and I could be absolutely wrong here but we've had a lower tier run game since Arians came here and brought his staff and even now the run game is absolutely abysmal.

Could it be possible that some of the problem with the run blocking be the o-line coach? Hasn't he been one of the hold overs during this whole time?

Maybe the concepts and techniques aren't being coached well enough and if thats the case, wouldn't that contribute to some of the issues?(aside from white being blind when holes are actually open)
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

We've spent a lot of time patching up the run game as opposed to making it a priority. Our focus has mostly been on defense since the day Bowles walked through the door and it makes sense to me. Our defense has kept us in games for years and years and offensive execution has left something to be desired. But on offense it's not like we had no talent or don't have talent now. Right now we're in "He just needs more time" with our defense giving up 21 points versus "He just needs more time" giving up 30. They're going to do something about the run game to alleviate the symptoms of what's happening here. But it's hard to do when you're like $77 million in the hole, lost Marpet, Smith and Jensen. We will know by this time next year if the process is going to work. Teams go through seasons like this all the time. We haven't seen it in 20 years because all we've known is "Win Superbowl" or "Goddamn it we're picking number 1 aren't we?"

The last time we had any sort of situation like this was when we had Jeff Garcia and we have collectively forgotten what it's like
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I’m kind of sick of the commitment to the run game. But at the same time we have a trash QB, trash OL, and trash weapons outside of Evans/Godwin. Going into air it mode doesn’t do much either. Offense just desperately needs a lot of offseason love.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:26 pm I’m kind of sick of the commitment to the run game. But at the same time we have a trash QB, trash OL, and trash weapons outside of Evans/Godwin. Going into air it mode doesn’t do much either. Offense just desperately needs a lot of offseason love.
Are we really surprised that we cannot run block on the interior? Every member of our interior trio are converted offensive tackles. Two of them are inexperienced guys still on their rookie contracts who are both undersized for their position (the average NFL guard is 315lb, Mauch and Hainsey barely pass 300).

I know Licht feels clever drafting tackles and converting them to guard and center, but there has only been one Ali Marpet and not everyone who makes that switch will succeed as much as he did.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Cheb wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:40 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:26 pm I’m kind of sick of the commitment to the run game. But at the same time we have a trash QB, trash OL, and trash weapons outside of Evans/Godwin. Going into air it mode doesn’t do much either. Offense just desperately needs a lot of offseason love.
Are we really surprised that we cannot run block on the interior? Every member of our interior trio are converted offensive tackles. Two of them are inexperienced guys still on their rookie contracts who are both undersized for their position (the average NFL guard is 315lb, Mauch and Hainsey barely pass 300).

I know Licht feels clever drafting tackles and converting them to guard and center, but there has only been one Ali Marpet and not everyone who makes that switch will succeed as much as he did.
I have seen a number of posts stating that the Bucs need to have a more creative running attack. The problem with saying that is that you need Interior linemen who are quick and agile. The Bucs linemen can hardly get out of their way, much less leading a sweep or having a pulling guard to open running lanes.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Are we really surprised that we cannot run block on the interior? Every member of our interior trio are converted offensive tackles.
Did they convert them out of desperation?
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cappa.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Offence looking pretty good, no?

It was always gonna take some time, but I feel pretty good about our ability to put up points the rest of the way. Obviously the 9ers are an elite unit so unsure how this week goes, but think after the 9ers game we should see a pretty good offence leading us the rest of the way.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's coming along. People who have never been part of an ensemble think instant success and chemistry are the norm or standard. It's not. But that's okay. Despite the impatience of some, the truth is once you turn the corner it doesn't really matter how long it took.

I don't know if we've turned any corners just yet. But you SEE what they re trying to do. You SEE how and why they were missing what they were trying to do earlier as well as we why they are hitting on it more now.

The plays are there, the shots are there, the offense is there. Canales playcalling is still coming along. There is still a whole lot of growth to go, which kills the MoRe TiMe?? group, but you like what you see we can be.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:47 am It's coming along. People who have never been part of an ensemble think instant success and chemistry are the norm or standard. It's not. But that's okay. Despite the impatience of some, the truth is once you turn the corner it doesn't really matter how long it took.

I don't know if we've turned any corners just yet. But you SEE what they re trying to do. You SEE how and why they were missing what they were trying to do earlier as well as we why they are hitting on it more now.

The plays are there, the shots are there, the offense is there. Canales playcalling is still coming along. There is still a whole lot of growth to go, which kills the MoRe TiMe?? group, but you like what you see we can be.
If you want to look at a team that has turned the corner, the Vikings are a good example of that. Defeating a team that is as bad as the Titans are, does not mean the Bucs have turned the corner. If the Bucs can defeat the 49's next Sunday, then that would be turning the corner.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:47 am It's coming along. People who have never been part of an ensemble think instant success and chemistry are the norm or standard. It's not. But that's okay. Despite the impatience of some, the truth is once you turn the corner it doesn't really matter how long it took.

Yeah, it’s really gonna click next year when you have a new quarterback, three new offensive linemen, and a new WR1.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We've won with no offense, we've lost with great offense. Wins and losses are a poor metric to measure teammate chemistry and growth.

With that said, I agree. I don't think we've had a turn-corner moment or anything like that. What we have are guys who were more comfortable than the week prior. Particularly in hitting the big plays that are there for us to hit.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:19 am We've won with no offense, we've lost with great offense. Wins and losses are a poor metric to measure teammate chemistry and growth.

With that said, I agree. I don't think we've had a turn-corner moment or anything like that. What we have are guys who were more comfortable than the week prior. Particularly in hitting the big plays that are there for us to hit.
The turn the corner moment will happen when this team starts succeeding in running the ball
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake

Post by Snake »

dude really showed up to a press conference high. what a professional.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Is the church of Canales still in session?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 pm Is the church of Canales still in session?
It's still "coming soon".
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Don't waste my time Bootz. did I warn you I report you if you kept harassing me? Jesus Christ
Snake

Post by Snake »

Are you okay? Genuine question.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don't think it's any of your business, Snake.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Anyway, back on topic.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:49 pm Don't waste my time Bootz. did I warn you I report you if you kept harassing me? Jesus Christ
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Reported you don't learn.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:03 pm Reported you don't learn.
I'm not even sure what the lesson is.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

This offense has gotten progressively worse since the 9ers game.

The Church of Canales needs to be blown up with dynamite. In the most important game of this season, he chose to run at the most inopportune times into a brick wall, constantly putting Baker in 3rd and medium or long, knowing full well how average Baker is. Eventually the Bucs run game took over in a manner they never did the whole season, but it was an extremely risky bet with the season on the line.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We’re a 20 point team. They can get 20. If the defense can set us up for a few more then gravy.

I think this is about what everyone should have expected year one? Frustrating at times, but they’ve done some good things.