Mike Evans Signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Mike Evans Signed

Post by Snake »

I mean, aging curves do exist and teams are well aware of them.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Didn't see this elsewhere but Evans is $6.9mil vs the cap this season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm Didn't see this elsewhere but Evans is $6.9mil vs the cap this season.
His contract is actually $5.5mil vs the cap. He does have a dead cap hit of $12.1mil.
Most hated man in America.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Glad he's back.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Mike and Licht (say it out loud and chuckle) are doing their presser right now.

Mike was asked about the opportunity to be a FA: (not verbatim) When anyone plays for one team for so long, you always think about what it'd be like to play elsewhere, but Tampa is my home.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm Mike and Licht (say it out loud and chuckle) are doing their presser right now.

Mike was asked about the opportunity to be a FA: (not verbatim) When anyone plays for one team for so long, you always think about what it'd be like to play elsewhere, but Tampa is my home.
Like I told @Bootz, it was probably more than money for Mike. Just because Bootz is only about the money doesn't mean everyone else is or should be. That doesn't make Evans a "bad businessmen." It only means he weighed things on a different scale than more money hungry players.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm Mike and Licht (say it out loud and chuckle) are doing their presser right now.

Like I told @Bootz, it was probably more than money for Mike. Just because Bootz is only about the money doesn't mean everyone else is or should be. That doesn't make Evans a "bad businessmen." It only means he weighed things on a different scale than more money hungry players.
He represents about less than 1% of the players in his range of skill and productivity who care more about "family and loyalty" than money. Good for him. There's a reason our #2 WR has made more than him over the past 3 years but isn't anywhere near as talented.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I guess we may roll with Trask. YUCK!

Last edited by Phantom on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:04 am
Four Verticals wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm Didn't see this elsewhere but Evans is $6.9mil vs the cap this season.
His contract is actually $5.5mil vs the cap. He does have a dead cap hit of $12.1mil.
Spotrac and OTC have different cap hits. OTC has an "other bonus" charge of $1.3mil which is the difference. I couldn't figure out where that number would have come from as all of the other numbers added up.
Last edited by Four Verticals on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:36 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm

He represents about less than 1% of the players in his range of skill and productivity who care more about "family and loyalty" than money. Good for him. There's a reason our #2 WR has made more than him over the past 3 years but isn't anywhere near as talented.
You're pulling that # out of your ass. You have no idea what a player prioritizes or the weight they give those priorities.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Also, if he signs with a team in a state with state income tax….
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:15 pm I guess we may roll with Trask. YUCK!

If Mayfield goes elsewhere, I doubt Kyle Trask is plan A at QB1, and I'd imagine that we select a QB in the first two rounds of the draft if we don't add a veteran free agent to compete with Trask for the starting role.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

In order to outbid the Bucs for Evans services, not only does a team need to pay a difference equal to whatever their State taxes are, they then need to offer Evans more money on top of that in order to become the better financial option.

So really, Evans has to compare whatever the amount of money he's going to get over and above the State tax difference vs staying in Florida where all his foundation and connections he's built over the past decade are located. And of course Evans has always had incredible character, so him being loyal to the team that drafted him and changed his life forever is just par for the course for Evans.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:26 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:36 pm

You're pulling that # out of your ass. You have no idea what a player prioritizes or the weight they give those priorities.
It was so obviously an arbitrary number. But of the players I'd say are in Evans category, players like Adams, Hill, Cupp, Brown, which of them took less money?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:30 pm
Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:15 pm I guess we may roll with Trask. YUCK!

If Mayfield goes elsewhere, I doubt Kyle Trask is plan A at QB1, and I'd imagine that we select a QB in the first two rounds of the draft if we don't add a veteran free agent to compete with Trask for the starting role.
Agreed
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:29 pm Also, if he signs with a team in a state with state income tax….
I think history, in all sports, tells us this isn't as important as people like us (the everyday person), thinks it is. The guys making "bank", don't really need it. The upfront and guaranteed cash seems to be the #1 motivator. The only time the no state income tax would come in to play is when all things are equal. If another player is getting Evans' deal where $11M are in incentives and LBTE's... what if KC who only pays 5% in state income tax guaranteed all $52M? You think that $2.6M in state income tax is going to matter?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:39 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:26 pm

It was so obviously an arbitrary number. But of the players I'd say are in Evans category, players like Adams, Hill, Cupp, Brown, which of them took less money?
I couldn't tell you.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:59 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:39 pm

I couldn't tell you.
Well I can tell you, no they didn't.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:28 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:59 pm

I couldn't tell you.
Well I can tell you, no they didn't.
Perhaps because money is all that’s important to them. They did them, Evans did Evans. You do you, I’ll do me.
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:29 pm Also, if he signs with a team in a state with state income tax….
I think history, in all sports, tells us this isn't as important as people like us (the everyday person), thinks it is. The guys making "bank", don't really need it. The upfront and guaranteed cash seems to be the #1 motivator. The only time the no state income tax would come in to play is when all things are equal. If another player is getting Evans' deal where $11M are in incentives and LBTE's... what if KC who only pays 5% in state income tax guaranteed all $52M? You think that $2.6M in state income tax is going to matter?
I work with enough high income earners to say that it definitely matters. Whether it would make someone move from or to a different state is a separate question but people who make a lot of money are concerned where that money goes and none of them seemed to be jumping up and down about it going to the government.