Justin Fields: Shittsburgh Steeler

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Where will Justin Fields land?

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am I hate these as it puts players in a vacuum that doesn't exist in real life. It's possible there's a system and OC that fits Fields and truly unlocks a winner, but are you going to find it?

Given we've seen Baker be a good fit already, I got to go that way.
You saw Mayfield being a good fit with an OC we don't have anymore.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 pm I like Fields on the Falcons.
Same. Keep them near the basement.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 am
Chicago must be terrible on 1st and 2nd downs making 3rd down extremely difficult to convert to a 1st down. While I understand the concept of EPA, it's so new it's still hard to easily wrap my mind around it.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The growing belief is that Chicago will not be trading Fields. Now that doesn't mean they have ruled out taking a QB 1st overall. But there's a sense that they won't get what they are asking for and will keep him.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

So he’ll be cut?

Fascinating.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:14 pm So he’ll be cut?

Fascinating.
Waived and hope a team picks up his contract. Either way they save absolutely nothing but cutting him, but the dead hit is only about $6mil
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

If he's cut, I say bring him in. Chicago didn't exactly surround him with receiving talent, nor did they invest in a good line to protect him. Fields to Evans sounds really nice.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I still think he ends up in Atlanta. It may not be for a 1st or 2nd rounder, but they'll get something for it. I think the Bears main goal out of this draft is to end up with Williams and either Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and add depth to their defense. There's also word that Josh Jacobs could land in Chicago at RB, which is another big piece to their puzzle.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:57 pm I still think he ends up in Atlanta. It may not be for a 1st or 2nd rounder, but they'll get something for it. I think the Bears main goal out of this draft is to end up with Williams and either Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and add depth to their defense. There's also word that Josh Jacobs could land in Chicago at RB, which is another big piece to their puzzle.
I think compensation is the sticking point. Chicago doesn't have have the leverage or a GM savvy enough to make this deal. So no reason to give up more than you have to.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 am
Not saying Fields is anything special, but the Athletic shows that in 2022 (0.04) and 2023 (0.08), Fields' EPA/att were positive (though extremely low).
https://theathletic.com/5204487/2024/01 ... tatistics/

Interesting that Daniel Jones is on the list.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:03 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:57 pm I still think he ends up in Atlanta. It may not be for a 1st or 2nd rounder, but they'll get something for it. I think the Bears main goal out of this draft is to end up with Williams and either Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and add depth to their defense. There's also word that Josh Jacobs could land in Chicago at RB, which is another big piece to their puzzle.
I think compensation is the sticking point. Chicago doesn't have have the leverage or a GM savvy enough to make this deal. So no reason to give up more than you have to.
…or, you know, the player sucks and no team thinks he is worth more than a hamless sandwich.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:03 pm

…or, you know, the player sucks and no team thinks he is worth more than a hamless sandwich.
You need help
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trey Lance landed a 4th
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don’t like Fields and still think he’s starting caliber. I’d give up a 3rd for him. Definitely.

A 2nd if Mayfield doesn’t sign.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Everyone will know what Fields trade value is before the 27th of April. (NFL Draft 25-27 April)
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Seems he could be what’s behind door #2 if we can’t sign Mayfield.

Obviously Mayfield is the preferred choice as we would be once again competitive and in line to have another good season, but I have to admit that the upside of Fields is highly intriguing. Seems he could be had for a 2nd rounder.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Las Vegas and Atlanta are both in running If they can't get Cousins.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:16 pm Las Vegas and Atlanta are both in running If they can't get Cousins.
Vegas has Getsy as their OC. Can’t see that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So, it was a 6th and he’s likely a backup. I guess the NFL has spoken.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:40 am So, it was a 6th and he’s likely a backup. I guess the NFL has spoken.
Yup. Fields was worth more than Winston, but a lot less than Garoppolo.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:40 am So, it was a 6th and he’s likely a backup. I guess the NFL has spoken.
WOW, that's rich! How is what happened with Fields different than Mayfield?

Mayfield was traded for a conditional pick that could be a 4th. After sucking, got benched and released. Then the Rams said "No thanks", and let him walk. A total of 0 teams the following season offered him a starting role.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 am

Mayfield was traded for a conditional pick that could be a 4th. After sucking, got benched and released. Then the Rams said "No thanks", and let him walk. A total of 0 teams the following season offered him a starting role.
They spoke on Mayfield as well and were wrong. Jury is still out on Fields. If he beats out Wilson, goes out and throws for 4,000 yards, accounts for 30 TDs, and wins in the playoffs for Pittsburgh I imagine they'll be happy and will extend him as well. What's your deal? How is this about Mayfield?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It ended up being a 5th round pick because he didn't mean the playing time threshold.

Fields career isn't dead. Like Baker it could take him a few bites of the apple before he's able to become a reliable starting QB. He's still just 24. The guy in front of him is 35 and on a 1 year deal. There is time still.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 am

It ended up being a 5th round pick because he didn't mean the playing time threshold.

Fields career isn't dead. Like Baker it could take him a few bites of the apple before he's able to become a reliable starting QB.
I agree, but he said Fields is "likely a backup." That "the NFL has spoken". I said that about Mayfield and he got all bent out of shape. I'm just calling him out on his hypocrisy not trying to make another Mayfield comment.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 am

Fields career isn't dead. Like Baker it could take him a few bites of the apple before he's able to become a reliable starting QB.
I agree, but he said Fields is "likely a backup." That "the NFL has spoken". I said that about Mayfield and he got all bent out of shape.
I wouldn't take what he says with much more than a grain of salt. Guy just last week said Stefon Diggs was both in his prime and on the decline within the span of 3 or 4 posts and then admitted his fault. His "opinion" will change like the win to fit whatever argument he's trying to make.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I agree, but he said Fields is "likely a backup." That "the NFL has spoken". I said that about Mayfield and he got all bent out of shape. I'm just calling him out on his hypocrisy not trying to make another Mayfield comment.
All of what I said in that post is accurate. He went for a 6th round pick and has been told he'll enter the year as the backup to Wilson. He has to win a job now and perform just like Baker did.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

What you said is far from accurate.

The Bears also say they didn't take the best offer because they wanted to do right by Fields and send him somewhere he wanted to go. It was stupid on their part but there are teams who offered more.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:11 am What you said is far from accurate.

The Bears also say they didn't take the best offer because they wanted to do right by Fields and send him somewhere he wanted to go. It was stupid on their part but there are teams who offered more.
So we're taking what teams say as gospel? You can't be serious. Reality is he was traded for a 6th round pick and has been told he's the backup. For a guy typically hellbent on black and white that's a pretty gray take from you.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The Bears 'claimed', but there has been no proof that there were other better offers. I have seen articles claiming five teams expressed interest, but NO article made the claims you just made. None. In fact, most would assume that the Bears did take the offer that was best for them.

I find that you have been far less accurate than @Grahamburn has said.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:16 am

So we're taking what teams say as gospel? You can't be serious. Reality is he was traded for a 6th round pick and has been told he's the backup. For a guy typically hellbent on black and white that's a pretty gray take from you.
@Bootz has never been black and white. He has always argued his point regardless of the facts in front of him. He took seven years to admit that casual fan opinions are just as valid as expert opinions. Dude is hopeless. Discussions with him are less fruitful than talking to a wall.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

@Snake, the title of this thread needs to be updated. :D
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:38 am @Snake, the title of this thread needs to be updated. :D
Done
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:09 am

All of what I said in that post is accurate. He went for a 6th round pick and has been told he'll enter the year as the backup to Wilson. He has to win a job now and perform just like Baker did.
Not completely accurate. Mayfield went for a 5th but conditionally can become a 4th. Fields was a 6th conditional to a 4th. You're leaving the condition out.

Also, my point on your hypocrisy was for the comment you chose to ignore... "likely a backup....the NFL has spoken". I said that about Mayfield you got butthurt, but with the same conditions involving Fields, you have no problem saying that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:09 am

Not completely accurate. Mayfield went for a 5th but conditionally can become a 4th. Fields was a 6th conditional to a 4th. You're leaving the condition out.

Also, my point on your hypocrisy was for the comment you chose to ignore... "likely a backup....the NFL has spoken". I said that about Mayfield you got butthurt, but with the same conditions involving Fields, you have no problem saying that.
You're right. I did not include the conditional part.

Your takes on Mayfield and our correspondence has been entirely after the 2023 season. I don't know how that's relevant to Fields nor do I think these are comparable situations when you consider Mayfield's accomplishments in 2023. How teams felt about him after 2022 does not matter anymore. You kept bringing it up like it does. It doesn't.

And, I'd say the same for Fields. The NFL has spoken on his current value. If he can put up a season like Mayfield just had he'll shut me and the NFL up. The same way Mayfield should have in your case. I wouldn't keep doubling down on it they way you are with Baker like it somehow matters how he played in Cleveland or Carolina or that the Rams didn't sign him.