***Official Free Agency Thread***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: ***Official Free Agency Thread***

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:08 pm

Palmer is our 3rd WR. He showed he belongs. Evans and Godwin are pretty close to the highest paid WR duo in the NFL. If not the highest. Adding another expensive player there isn't smart.

They can also draft someone to groom behind those guys in what is an extremely deep draft at the position.
A WR who averaged less than 10 yards/catch showed he belongs??

When Godwin & Evans were among the highest paid WRs, Licht had no issues giving Russell Gage $10mil a year, $20mil guaranteed. You can argue with the result all you want in hindsight but clearly he saw WR as being a need area.

No arguments about this draft being deep. But you're pretending that finding a good WR is a guarantee without providing a name. Another example of you offering extremely vague POVs.
I'm not pretending anything. Reynolds is average. Why pay that for average when you don't need to? We have a player on the team that can replicate his production.

They were also running a different system when they signed Gage. We don't line up in nearly as many 11 personnel sets on first down as we did back with Arians/Leftwich. Our need for an impactful 3rd WR is lessened now. 66% in 2021 and 2022. Only 51% in 2023. Maybe that goes up with Coen though? The Rams run 11 personnel like 80% of the time.

I have given names of players I like in other threads. Javon Baker and Brenden Rice are on my short list. I'd like to land one of them with that late 3rd or 4th round pick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 pm WR 1:
On 64 targets
35 rec 565 yards 16.1 ypc 3 TDs
"Not worthy any money

WR 2:
On 64 targets
40 rec 608 yards 15.2 ypc 3 TDs
"Mediocre"

WR 3:
On 68 targets
39 rec 385 yards 9.9 ypc 3 TDs
"Showed he belongs"

All this according to @Grahamburn
You're making my point for me. Similar reception numbers. Same number of TDs. One was a rookie. The others multi-year vets. Why would you want to pay either of those players multiple millions when you can get similar or better production from your own guy for $950k?

I'd be quite confident Palmer outperforms both of them in 2024 assuming we don't draft someone in the first or second round.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:07 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm

A WR who averaged less than 10 yards/catch showed he belongs??

When Godwin & Evans were among the highest paid WRs, Licht had no issues giving Russell Gage $10mil a year, $20mil guaranteed. You can argue with the result all you want in hindsight but clearly he saw WR as being a need area.

No arguments about this draft being deep. But you're pretending that finding a good WR is a guarantee without providing a name. Another example of you offering extremely vague POVs.
I'm not pretending anything. Reynolds is average. Why pay that for average when you don't need to? We have a player on the team that can replicate his production.

They were also running a different system when they signed Gage. We don't line up in nearly as many 11 personnel sets on first down as we did back with Arians/Leftwich. Our need for an impactful 3rd WR is lessened now. 66% in 2021 and 2022. Only 51% in 2023. Maybe that goes up with Coen though? The Rams run 11 personnel like 80% of the time.

I have given names of players I like in other threads. Javon Baker and Brenden Rice are on my short list. I'd like to land one of them with that late 3rd or 4th round pick.
Changing your point from post to post. Doc does this act much better.

The system we run wasn't relevant to your point about not being able to afford to pay 1 position so much.

And what player can replicate said production that's currently on this team? Name him. Guaranteed his name is either Chris Godwin or Mike Evans.

It's likely a MAJOR reason we didn't run as much 11 in 2023 was we didn't have a quality 3rd WR after Gage got hurt in training camp. We had no issues keeping him on the team this time last year and likely would have this season if he didn't get hurt. At $10mil a year.

Are you saying Gage is a great player?
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:18 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:55 pm WR 1:
On 64 targets
35 rec 565 yards 16.1 ypc 3 TDs
"Not worthy any money

WR 2:
On 64 targets
40 rec 608 yards 15.2 ypc 3 TDs
"Mediocre"

WR 3:
On 68 targets
39 rec 385 yards 9.9 ypc 3 TDs
"Showed he belongs"

All this according to @Grahamburn
You're making my point for me. Similar reception numbers. Same number of TDs. One was a rookie. The others multi-year vets. Why would you want to pay either of those players multiple millions when you can get similar or better production from your own guy for $950k?

I'd be quite confident Palmer outperforms both of them in 2024 assuming we don't draft someone in the first or second round.
You're living on an island of delusion. Palmer had more opportunities and did less. But showed that he belongs while the others showed they didn't or were mediocre? Common sense clearly ain't common but let's see if you can make that make sense.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:07 pm

The system we run wasn't relevant to your point about not being able to afford to pay 1 position so much.

And what player can replicate said production that's currently on this team? Name him. Guaranteed his name is either Chris Godwin or Mike Evans.

It's likely a MAJOR reason we didn't run as much 11 in 2023 was we didn't have a quality 3rd WR after Gage got hurt in training camp. We had no issues keeping him on the team this time last year and likely would have this season if he didn't get hurt. At $10mil a year.

Changing my point? God, you're the worst. Done after this one.

Also, never did I say we couldn't afford it. Paying 3 WRs that much is a misallocation of resources though. I'd rather spend it elsewhere.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That's why I suggested bringing in an experienced wide receiver like Josh Reynolds. But @Grahamburn think otherwise.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 pm

Changing my point? God, you're the worst. Done after this one.

Also, never did I say we couldn't afford it. Paying 3 WRs that much is a misallocation of resources though. I'd rather spend it elsewhere.
But it wasn't a misallocation when we were running a different system?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:27 pm That's why I suggested bringing in an experienced wide receiver like Josh Reynolds. But @Grahamburn think otherwise.
That's why most teams would want to have veteran players at certain positions that don't cost a ton.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:27 pm That's why I suggested bringing in an experienced wide receiver like Josh Reynolds. But @Grahamburn think otherwise.
Technically, Palmer is experienced now. But, I digress.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:29 pm
Do you honestly believe he'll step in after Godwin leaves? I don't see it, he's good enough to be the third or fourth wide receiver on the depth chart, nothing more.

My concern is what if our top wide receivers are injured? Do we have good weapons to throw to? I don't

We definitely need a TE.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Player D:

Rookie Year - 34 receptions, 525 yards, 1 TD

2nd Year - 59 receptions, 842 yards, 7 TDs
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm Player D:

Good on Chris Godwin.

Now guarantee Palmer will do the same.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Do you honestly believe he'll step in after Godwin leaves? I don't see it, he's good enough to be the third or fourth wide receiver on the depth chart, nothing more.

My concern is what if our top wide receivers are injured? Do we have good weapons to throw to? I don't

We definitely need a TE.
I’ve said multiple times in this thread that they can and should target a WR in this draft.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

One of our potential fourth or fifth wide receivers

https://www.buccaneers.com/team/players ... m-jarrett/
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Good on Chris Godwin.

Imagine if we’d signed Josh Reynolds instead of letting him develop.

And a guarantee? I can guarantee Reynolds will produce 600 yards. At absolute best.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Panthers and OLB Jadeveon Clowney have agreed to terms on a 2-year, $20M deal with a max value of $24M. (via Ian Rapoport)
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm

Good on Chris Godwin.

Imagine if we’d signed Josh Reynolds instead of letting him develop.

And a guarantee? I can guarantee Reynolds will produce 600 yards. At absolute best.
See, and there you have deflection. Please get a new act. You make a case that we should stick with a player and then you're too cowardly to support it.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

I'd be very disappointed if Palmer is our #3 next season. He's not consistent enough and isn't a good route runner. Moore looked better in the very limited time he got, shoulda used him more tbh. Yes he was a rookie but why limit ourselves waiting for him to improve if we can get someone better. I'd rather get a real #3, and Palmer will still get his opportunities when we need his speed. #3s are basically starters in today's NFL and I don't see him as a near every down player.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Palmer is a stereotypical #4 receiver. Elite long speed, iffy hands (both drops and fumbles). A chess piece you can move around.

I would've preferred a veteran at #3. But those seem gone. and oh, the money thing.

Evans
Godwin
???
Palmer
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

No way we start the season with only three receivers and the rest of trash receivers . I hope Licht makes a bold move with the draft and brings in some good receivers
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 pm Palmer is a stereotypical #4 receiver. Elite long speed, iffy hands (both drops and fumbles). A chess piece you can move around.

I would've preferred a veteran at #3. But those seem gone. and oh, the money thing.

Evans
Godwin
???
Palmer
That would seem to make WR a strong possibility on day 1 or 2.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:14 pm No way we start the season with only three receivers and the rest of trash receivers . I hope Licht makes a bold move with the draft and brings in some good receivers
Signed, our team last year.

Personally I'm not too worried about our receiving room. Of all the offensive skill positions, it's where I have my least amount of concern. Mike Evans is the best Buc who ever did it, Chris Godwin is second best right there behind him, and Trey Palmer had some solid snaps as a rookie. The guys behind them are suspect, but the same can be said for our second offensive string everywhere.

Honestly, it depends on what Coen wants the offense to look like this season. The data that we have on his offenses is sparse, only Kentucky last year and three years ago really. Based on that, they spread the ball around last season but fed their star three years ago, so we could go either way.

What I do notice about Coen is that the man puts together a solid run game, and that more than anything is the key to unlocking our offense. If we can climb out of the gutter to being even league average, that would have huge downstream effects on the passing game, play action, third down efficiency, time of possession, and also knock-on effects for the defense.

Would I welcome a new receiver? Sure. Was a lack of receiving talent holding us back last year, and will it likely be the thing holding us back moving forward into next season? No.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:02 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 pm Palmer is a stereotypical #4 receiver. Elite long speed, iffy hands (both drops and fumbles). A chess piece you can move around.

Evans
Godwin
???
Palmer
That would seem to make WR a strong possibility on day 1 or 2.
Since Coen is moving Godwin back to the slot (makes sense, best run blocker at WR), if we take a first round WR, a legit top 32 player, that would definitely help our running game if we play 11 as much as McVay does. We still badly need iOL, but if JPJ is gone and it would be a reach for an edge then I would be happy with it
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

We can easily add a WR in the first three rounds and be completely fine

I mean we’re fine right now as is. But
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Bucs will finish with a 25th to 32nd rushing attack again. Just wait.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 pm We can easily add a WR in the first three rounds and be completely fine

I mean we’re fine right now as is. But
Since it keeps coming up that Houston picks Jalen Coker I might have to keep track of whether CJ likes him since we can't draft him.

Sigh, there will be a boatload that we can't draft.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Good on Chris Godwin.

No, you guarantee he won't.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Solid move by the Jets. Giving up a pick 2 years from now.

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Good on Chris Godwin.

I guarantee Trey Palmer won't have 59 catches & 800+ yards. @Grahamburn knows it too but he's too afraid to say so.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm Solid move by the Jets. Giving up a pick 2 years from now.

I heard future picks are worth the same as current picks.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm Solid move by the Jets. Giving up a pick 2 years from now.

Smarter than you think.

The Eagles chose after ARodgers is most definitely retired.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm

So does the value of a pick diminish because of time? You think 2022 picks are worth more than 2024 picks?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Tom Brady post Patriots: Immediatley wins a Super Bowl.

Bill Belichick post Patriots: Writes a Book
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That must be a 2025 3rd, right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

I guarantee Trey Palmer won't have 59 catches & 800+ yards. @Grahamburn knows it too but he's too afraid to say so.
I’m trembling with fear. Nobody said Trey Palmer would have 800 yards.

I do think he’ll be on par with anything Josh Reynolds will/would produce, which was the entire point of the conversation.

So, if the Bucs move forward with Palmer as their WR3 I’ll guarantee he has about 600 yards. Give or take.