The Official 2024 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
mdb1958

Re: The Official 2024 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Post by mdb1958 »

Before hindsight even starts I wonder how good Darius Robinson will become. Same with Ruke and I'd still want those long arms of Myles Cole.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If the Bucs trade up and draft Cooper, JPJ, and Brooks , I will be extremely happy.

Blake Corum too
Snake

Post by Snake »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 am Interesting

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/400 ... lB5tnPJizt
Just to swallow the cap hit, I'd want their 1st's, 2nd's, & 3rd's for the next 3 years, before we can even talk about compensation for the player.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 am
I'm guessing the Niners were trying to get #34 for one of them, then package 31 & 34 to jump up into the top 15?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ve been thinking about quarterback. Obviously, Baker was just extended. Trask is under contract one more season.

I don’t think it’s bad practice to take a flyer on a guy in the mid/late rounds. Not gonna hit gold unless you dig for it.

Rattler is interesting. The lack of physical talent is going to push him down. I don’t think there’s a chance he goes in the first three rounds. He doesn’t throw a beautiful ball.

But he has some traits that I am pretty big on. When things are clicking for him, his pocket sense is really good. He is a touch over arm talent guy. Despite a barely sub 5-second 40, he’s shifty at the right times.

I see some Chad Pennington there. Maybe not a world beater but a guy you don’t feel bad about filling in in a pinch.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

No thank you!

AVOID!
Snake

Post by Snake »

And he has great footwork.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I wonder how far JPJ slides. I wouldn't hate it if Licht tried to move up for him. That would be a good problem to have at IOL.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

My brother preordered a McCarthy jersey and he was so excited and looking forward to this season.

I'm jealous
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 am I’ve been thinking about quarterback. Obviously, Baker was just extended. Trask is under contract one more season.

I don’t think it’s bad practice to take a flyer on a guy in the mid/late rounds. Not gonna hit gold unless you dig for it.

Rattler is interesting. The lack of physical talent is going to push him down. I don’t think there’s a chance he goes in the first three rounds. He doesn’t throw a beautiful ball.

But he has some traits that I am pretty big on. When things are clicking for him, his pocket sense is really good. He is a touch over arm talent guy. Despite a barely sub 5-second 40, he’s shifty at the right times.

I see some Chad Pennington there. Maybe not a world beater but a guy you don’t feel bad about filling in in a pinch.
Rattler has a top 3 arm in the draft as far as pure arm strength (Milton and Williams have a stronger arm...maybe Maye, but it's neck and neck IMO), but no doesn't throw a pretty ball at all.

I've seen him overthrow Legette by like 15 yards, 40 yards down field while moving back and getting hit, but for whatever reason on short/intermediate passes he throws off his back foot a lot and leaps like he's too short, which takes off that velocity.

We did have maybe the worst pass blocking in the P5.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 am I wonder how far JPJ slides. I wouldn't hate it if Licht tried to move up for him. That would be a good problem to have at IOL.
What about the cornerbacks and defensive ends on our roster? Cooper and Kneeland should fit in nicely
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:56 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 am I wonder how far JPJ slides. I wouldn't hate it if Licht tried to move up for him. That would be a good problem to have at IOL.
What about the cornerbacks and defensive ends on our roster? Cooper and Kneeland should fit in nicely
We'll have options. We do have quite a few needs.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

JPJ seemed to have a lot of people confused. ESPN's big board had him as the 55th best player, far behind Barton. I've seen other sites that had him at the very end of the 2nd and then NFL.com had him as a mid-1st.

Maybe that's because Center isn't as valuable? Not sure.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 am
Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 am I’ve been thinking about quarterback. Obviously, Baker was just extended. Trask is under contract one more season.

Rattler has a top 3 arm in the draft as far as pure arm strength (Milton and Williams have a stronger arm...maybe Maye, but it's neck and neck IMO), but no doesn't throw a pretty ball at all.

I've seen him overthrow Legette by like 15 yards, 40 yards down field while moving back and getting hit, but for whatever reason on short/intermediate passes he throws off his back foot a lot and leaps like he's too short, which takes off that velocity.

I appreciate the insight. I do see him throw too many floaters. I think some mechanical changes could help him drive the ball. And you’re right about him throwing off the back foot.

I like the prospect. I really do. He’s got that quick processing that is still underrated in quarterback evaluation.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 am
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 am

I appreciate the insight. I do see him throw too many floaters. I think some mechanical changes could help him drive the ball. And you’re right about him throwing off the back foot.

I like the prospect. I really do. He’s got that quick processing that is still underrated in quarterback evaluation.
I think it was Danny Kannell that said he's got a top 2 arm in the draft (exaggerated because that's what he does), but too often he doesn't use anything but his arm. He doesn't drive the ball (back foot, off platform), but one YT scout put almost all of that on how bad the pass blocking was and him being scared and even compared it to how poor Brady was 2 years ago.

There are some throws where he plants his feet and hits a curl, in timing, outside the numbers that show when things all click, he can really drive the ball.

Regardless, I think he's a good gamble prospect, but I have a hard time grading on a curve when someone has such poor protection...maybe with great protection they are great or maybe they are broken like David Carr forever?

Some of his throws last season, while getting hit, in tight windows were insane, but then he made some throws seeing ghost that just made me cringe.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Ladd or Dejean feel like my top targets right now.

Very little chance either fall to our 2nd pick.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Day 2 prediction

Cooper DeJean to the Bucs.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

It’s really stupid to me that round 2 starts so late.

The first round is the event for TV. Day 2 is not a prime time slot event, which I consider Friday evening to be. They should be drafting by noon PST today.
I want to follow the picks at work, not at happy hour :D
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

We could grab two defensive starters today if we are smart and/or lucky.

Every true linebacker is still on the board, as is every DT except Byron Murphy. Adisa Issac and Jonah Ellis are edges I like who are potential targets. Still lots of talent in the secondary as well.

I think Day Two today could be a goldmine, friends.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 pm We could grab two defensive starters today if we are smart and/or lucky.

Every true linebacker is still on the board, as is every DT except Byron Murphy. Adisa Issac and Jonah Ellis are edges I like who are potential targets. Still lots of talent in the secondary as well.

I think Day Two today could be a goldmine, friends.
I'm down with 2 defensive players and another IOL. I also like Marshawn Kneeland at DE
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Barton and JPJ would give us a sick interior oline.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I think JPJ would really be overkill at this point. I mean I guess if the value is just impossible to pass up. But that need was addressed with our prime asset last night. We have lots of other spots on the roster that need to be shored up.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I am a JPJ enjoyer, and I would be the first to say that interior offensive line was our greatest need entering the draft.

JPJ could be BPA by the time it reaches our pick in the second, and if he is I would be down with drafting him. I wouldn't zero-in on him, as it were, but if we want to make him our new left guard I would be okay with that.

That said, if there's a top defensive player available, like Edgerrin Cooper or Junior Colson who could put in 1000 snaps as a starting middle backer and be our defensive future moving forward, or a potential starting corner like Ennis Rakestraw or Kamari Lassiter, or any of another dozen dudes on defense... it would be hard to justify another interior offensive lineman.

Moreover, I think One Buc believes in Hainsey and probably shifts him to left guard.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I'm of the mindset that if we can make a particular unit of the team Elite, then that's what we should do. Especially if it's such a critical aspect of winning like the Oline. The more protection we give Baker the more value we'll reap from him.

I don't think we should lock in on him either but simply drafting Barton may not be enough to get our iol out of the gutter.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I'd say Baker's #1 flaw last season was taking sacks. The more we can do to keep him out of that situation the better our offense gets.

Additionally, our run game was crap largely due to piss poor blocking by our IOL. I'm all for going hard at our IOL to get it better.

Imagine Wirfs, Barton, JPJ on one side of the line.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Sdbucs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm Imagine Wirfs, Barton, JPJ on one side of the line.
Sounds very nice. But then I imagine our CB and WR depth in this scenario.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Backside wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm Imagine Wirfs, Barton, JPJ on one side of the line.
I'm much less worried about our WR depth as I am other positions personally. We are very poor in IOL, very poor at TE, poor at DE, poor at CB.

One of our next few picks should go to IOL, TE, and DE IMO. Then fill the rest with RB/CB/WR lotto tickets.

Evans/Godwin/Palmer is still a top tier unit.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 pm I am a JPJ enjoyer, and I would be the first to say that interior offensive line was our greatest need entering the draft.

JPJ could be BPA by the time it reaches our pick in the second, and if he is I would be down with drafting him. I wouldn't zero-in on him, as it were, but if we want to make him our new left guard I would be okay with that.

That said, if there's a top defensive player available, like Edgerrin Cooper or Junior Colson who could put in 1000 snaps as a starting middle backer and be our defensive future moving forward, or a potential starting corner like Ennis Rakestraw or Kamari Lassiter, or any of another dozen dudes on defense... it would be hard to justify another interior offensive lineman.

Moreover, I think One Buc believes in Hainsey and probably shifts him to left guard.
Huge irony in saying that OBP "believes" in a guy when they just drafted his replacement.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 pm
Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 pm I am a JPJ enjoyer, and I would be the first to say that interior offensive line was our greatest need entering the draft.

Huge irony in saying that OBP "believes" in a guy when they just drafted his replacement.
Good point.

They did a similar thing last year, too. Nothing but public support for Logan Hall, then drafted Calijah Kancey in the first round.

Maybe all that public support was bluster, and I mean why wouldn't you gas up your guys in public?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm

Good point.

They did a similar thing last year, too. Nothing but public support for Logan Hall, then drafted Calijah Kancey in the first round.

Maybe all that public support was bluster, and I mean why wouldn't you gas up your guys in public?
Do sports organizations ever bad mouth their own players? Feel like you never hear anything but hype and praise
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm

Good point.

Except Kancey & Hall play different positions (3T vs 5T). Hall was never our 3T his rookie year, that was Akeem Hicks. We drafted Kancey to replace Hicks.

I don't recall seeing or hearing public support for Hainsey. Maybe he's thrown into the competition mix at LG but I don't see any indication that OBP is ready to hand him the job on a silver platter.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Sdbucs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:59 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm

I'm much less worried about our WR depth as I am other positions personally. We are very poor in IOL, very poor at TE, poor at DE, poor at CB.

One of our next few picks should go to IOL, TE, and DE IMO. Then fill the rest with RB/CB/WR lotto tickets.

TE pool is weak this year. Unless we go with the Texas TE, not sure we’re gonna find anything that’s an upgrade to Otton. May have to wait until next year.

I think we need to put some focus on the secondary and LB corps. I think we’re okay at WR…next year might be the year to find Evans’ heir. Addressing OL in round 1 was big. I doubt we’ll
look at qb.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:59 pm

TE pool is weak this year. Unless we go with the Texas TE, not sure we’re gonna find anything that’s an upgrade to Otton. May have to wait until next year.

I think we need to put some focus on the secondary and LB corps. I think we’re okay at WR…next year might be the year to find Evans’ heir. Addressing OL in round 1 was big. I doubt we’ll
look at qb.
Basically the only TE prospect Id want in the next 3 rounds is Ben Sinnot
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm It’s really stupid to me that round 2 starts so late.

The first round is the event for TV. Day 2 is not a prime time slot event, which I consider Friday evening to be. They should be drafting by noon PST today.
I want to follow the picks at work, not at happy hour :D
I enjoy it more. Lots of surprises.