2024 post-draft sentiment

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

2024 post-draft sentiment

Post by Snake »

How does this one land?
Snake

Re: 2024 post-draft sentiment

Post by Snake »

Feels like 2021, to me.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

A+

One of the most top heavy drafts in history and we chose to sign Baker Mayfield and compete in 2023 instead of reloading in 2024. So we picked at 26 and we got a blue chip Center.

Then the rest of the talent got drafted before our next pick and we took a bunch of lottery ticket players.

What else did people expect?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm A+

One of the most top heavy drafts in history and we chose to sign Baker Mayfield and compete in 2023 instead of reloading in 2024. So we picked at 26 and we got a blue chip Center.

Then the rest of the talent got drafted before our next pick and we took a bunch of lottery ticket players.

All lottery ticket type players after round 1. That’s a winning strategy right there.

Inb4 Doctor: “it’s all lottery tickets !!1!”

I don’t know if I would actually characterize them as lottery ticket type players. I see a limited ceiling for many of them.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 pm A+

All lottery ticket type players after round 1. That’s a winning strategy right there.

Inb4 Doctor: “it’s all lottery tickets !!1!”

I don’t know if I would actually characterize them as lottery ticket type players. I see a limited ceiling for many of them.
The well was tapped. Every pick past like 40 overall is a lotto ticket this year
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Despite the fact that this team was one of the last eight standing, they had a lot of holes to fill. Every pick was an attempt to fill one of those holes except the RB from Oregon.

Very good draft. Let's see how Licht does with the UDFAs
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This is the type of draft you'd put together if your roster didn't have a ton of holes.

We came into this draft with more question marks on the roster than we've had in a very long time. Quite a few guys we moved on from with no real solution in sight. Just guys who haven't shown much but will be handed a role whether they are ready or not. A number of spots with incumbents who we should be trying to replace but don't have a choice because of various reasons.

Coming into the draft, the major needs were C, G, EDGE, ILB, CB, DE. Coming out of the draft, C was addressed beautifully. EDGE, maybe depending on where Braswell is in his development. Maybe a 6th round pick can earn a starting job at G but I doubt it.

We HOPE Logan Hall doesn't have a 3rd straight year of regression. We HOPE Zyon McCollum can replace Carlton Davis and we also HOPE he or Dean don't get injured because we don't have anyone else at corner who can play outside. We HOPE KJ Britt improves in his contract year or we HOPE Sirvocea Dennis does something. We HOPE LG gets figured out. We HOPE Cody Mauch improves at a position he's not really a fit for. Just a lot more questions now than you'd expect coming out of the draft.

We know it's not realistic that all draft picks make the final 53. So hopefully the UDFA period yields one of those hidden gems. But again that's a HOPE.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

OBP is very happy with their draft and so am I. Not gonna lie, I would've gone in a different direction on multiple picks but the guys they did pick weren't far behind alternative picks for me. Sucks seeing Eagles get all my crushes though.

Some I didn't know much of, like the Washington WR or Georgia DB, but I absolutely love what I've seen looking them up. More than anything you see a really strong thread of dudes who aren't afraid to put in the work and compete. Who take pride in their crafts.

Loving this Buc culture.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Cautiously optimistic

The first rounder feels like a pretty safe bet, which is nice. Something went very wrong if he’s not a day one contributor.

Hopefully a few of the other guys can at least flash for us next year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm OBP is very happy with their draft and so am I. Not gonna lie, I would've gone in a different direction on multiple picks but the guys they did pick weren't far behind alternative picks for me.
Has a team ever not said they were happy with their picks, ever?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm OBP is very happy with their draft and so am I. Not gonna lie, I would've gone in a different direction on multiple picks but the guys they did pick weren't far behind alternative picks for me.
Has a team ever not said they were happy with their picks, ever?
We could've traded up into the top 10 for a kicker in round 1 and given up our 2nd this year and 1st next year, Doc would've been "happy" with the draft.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We might get some low hanging fruit from last year but the problem is (and it always turns out that way) we have to wait for the final cuts and they miss our camp.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

It ain't easy picking the bottom half of the draft. Successful franchises who pick the bottom half and stay relevant hit on these pick, so have to hope ours did.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Barton: Instant starting center who should be a huge upgrade and stick around for a long time.

Grade: A+

Braswell: Put up good numbers at one of the best programs in the country. Has good technique but lacks bend around the corner.

Grade: B+

Smith: Undersized but physical playmaker. Will push for time at Nickelback.

Grade: B

McMillan: Solid all around WR with the potential to take over the slot job early and move outside next year.

Irving: Great college production but undersized.

Grade: C

Klein: Position of need. Ok potential.

Grade: C+

Culp: Fast TE. I didn't feel like we needed a TE in this range.

Overall: B-
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I have to look up the last two
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Redrum wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 pm Barton: Instant starting center who should be a huge upgrade and stick around for a long time.

Grade: A+

Braswell: Put up good numbers at one of the best programs in the country. Has good technique but lacks bend around the corner.

Grade: B+

Smith: Undersized but physical playmaker. Will push for time at Nickelback.

McMillan: Solid all around WR with the potential to take over the slot job early and move outside next year.

Irving: Great college production but undersized.

Klein: Position of need. Ok potential.

Grade: C+

Culp: Fast TE. I didn't feel like we needed a TE in this range.

Overall: B-
Seconded. This is about where I'm at.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Not unhappy with any of the picks. They filled spots where we need to improve. Will these guys improve those spots?? We'll find out
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

A true evaluation of the draft picks can't be made until at least the season starts. And it is not just the draft picks, but all the moves made in the off season. For it to be a successful off-season Barton has to play better than Hainsey, Mauch has to improve and either the 6th round pick Klien or some of the off-season Guard signings have to make the offensive line much improved. The Bucs had the worst run game for the last 2 seasons. That was on poor offensive line play. Unless the line play is much better next year, the Bucs will once again be one dimensional.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Eagles, Cardinals, and Bears have a good draft damn. . Barton is the only one I like from all the Bucs' draft this year.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

My snap reaction is it feels like Licht has stayed with the consensus board this year more so than previous years. I feel similar or slightly better to how I felt about this years crop. Last year turned out better than expected due to Kancey squashing any size concerns and Diaby coming on faster than expected as a very raw prospect. Izien come in as an UDFA to boost the crop also.

Barton feels safer than the boom or bust Kancey, McMillan you can't really find anything bad on him and even some have said a value pick.. I feel like I know what we will get from Barton and McMillan. Tykee Smith from all I read and heard seems a safe nickel slot selection. Again, nothing amazing but can be a solid starter. The draft's success will come down to the upside of Braswell and Bucky Irving.

Braswell I am really unsure on. Very stiff in the hips and bend concerns. Premium pick spent there so he needs to work out. My immediate concern is the front office was high on Kneeland and immediately panicked when he was snapped up 1 pick earlier. That panic turned to picking the next best edge instead of the next best player. Kneeland was mocked and linked to the Bucs a lot.

Bucky is a 5'9 190 pound RB with 4.55 speed. I mean, the measurables are a worry immediately. The film and grades are good and he was mostly mocked in the 4th to 5th round. I am very unsure of his fit and if the breaking/avoiding tackles trait he has translates vs way better NFL athletes. If it doesn't, he has no size or speed to fall back on. Licht has an obsession with smaller slow RB's and it just hasn't worked in his tenure.

Overall a B grade. Don't see any home run picks but no classic Licht way off the board reaches either. I don't see a lot of upside in any of the picks besides Barton though. That's the main criticism. They have angled for a lot of role player types to fill holes. Not a bad thing but it depends how you look at it.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

PFF:

Bucs - A

Barton — Tampa Bay is set at tackle with Tristan Wirfs and Luke Goedeke, so Barton is sure to play inside. He has experience at center and enough athleticism to play anywhere up front. Barton earned an 88.7 overall PFF grade across the last two seasons, which stands as the fifth-best among all FBS tackles in that span.

Braswell — The Buccaneers pick up a consistent power-based outside linebacker in Chris Braswell. He isn’t as explosive as his Alabama teammate Dallas Turner, but he led the SEC in pressures in 2023 and provides a solid anchor on the edge in the run game. He is likely to be an immediate starter for the Buccaneers.

Smith — The second Georgia safety to come off the board, Smith is the perfect player to stack the box and add aggressiveness to a defense. Smith will have no problem setting the edge in the run game and graded well in the SEC, earning the third-best run-defense grade among safeties (84.0). He lacks the long speed to be a deep coverage player but has a role in the Buccaneers' secondary.

McMillan — McMillan is the 15th receiver off the board and finds himself in a great situation in Tampa Bay. A weapon out of the slot, he recorded 14 touchdowns since 2022, most among Power Five receivers. In an offense with big-time playmakers, McMillan was prioritized in Washington. A nuanced route runner, he’ll need to lean into that strength, as he doesn’t have the top-end speed to take the top off defenses.

Irving — The Buccaneers add one of the toughest running backs to tackle in this draft, as Irving forced 136 missed tackles over the past two seasons to rank second among Power Five running backs. His 96.1 PFF rushing grade in that span also ranks second.

Klein — Klein wasn’t on the PFF big board or consensus board, but he did post some impressive numbers as a pass blocker in his final season at UTEP. He earned a 93.5 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2023, allowing just three total pressures from 372 pass-blocking snaps.

Culp — Culp was limited as a receiver, catching 16 passes for 208 yards on 23 targets. He was solid as a run blocker, though, earning a 73.2 PFF run-blocking grade in 2023.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 pm A true evaluation of the draft picks can't be made until at least the season starts. And it is not just the draft picks, but all the moves made in the off season. For it to be a successful off-season Barton has to play better than Hainsey, Mauch has to improve and either the 6th round pick Klien or some of the off-season Guard signings have to make the offensive line much improved. The Bucs had the worst run game for the last 2 seasons. That was on poor offensive line play. Unless the line play is much better next year, the Bucs will once again be one dimensional.
Not sure you can say Barton has to play better than Hainsey since we do not know that is where Barton will play yet. What we can say is that the OL has to get better in both the run game and the passing game.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

13F11B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am
GreatTimes wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 pm A true evaluation of the draft picks can't be made until at least the season starts. And it is not just the draft picks, but all the moves made in the off season. For it to be a successful off-season Barton has to play better than Hainsey, Mauch has to improve and either the 6th round pick Klien or some of the off-season Guard signings have to make the offensive line much improved. The Bucs had the worst run game for the last 2 seasons. That was on poor offensive line play. Unless the line play is much better next year, the Bucs will once again be one dimensional.
Not sure you can say Barton has to play better than Hainsey since we do not know that is where Barton will play yet. What we can say is that the OL has to get better in both the run game and the passing game.
Licht has already called him a center.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Barnzy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:01 am Bucky is a 5'9 190 pound RB with 4.55 speed. I mean, the measurables are a worry immediately. The film and grades are good and he was mostly mocked in the 4th to 5th round. I am very unsure of his fit and if the breaking/avoiding tackles trait he has translates vs way better NFL athletes. If it doesn't, he has no size or speed to fall back on. Licht has an obsession with smaller slow RB's and it just hasn't worked in his tenure.
I tend to agree with you on this one, but watching his film and reading about all the broken tackles kinda gives me a Warrick Dunn feeling. The biggest difference is that Dunn was much faster than 4.55.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am
13F11B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am

Licht has already called him a center.
I get that. Still to early since Licht does not coach. Still to early since training camp has not taken place. His pick has to improve the OL. Does not matter what position he plays. As a first round pick he needs to start and the OL play has to get better.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Yahoo Sports gives the Falcons the worst grade in the draft with a D-. Bucs with a B+.
2024 NFL Draft grades: Falcons earn year's worst grade, while Eagles strengthen and Bears build bright outlook
Charles McDonald NFL writer
Sun, Apr 28, 2024, 9:11 AM CDT·27 min read
NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Overall Grade: D-
Baffling. Pretty baffling use of the eighth overall pick. After signing Kirk Cousins, it was a bit of a shocker for the Falcons to use the pick on a backup quarterback rather than opt to take someone who can play this year. Unless the Cousins signing is a total disaster, it will be years before the Falcons see Michael Penix on the field. Time will tell how that works out, but this team is not ready for a resource allocation like that. They also failed to grab a cornerback in this draft, but they did make some very solid picks along the defensive line that should help them finally stabilize that position group. The defensive line picks are the only thing keeping this from being an F grade.

Favorite Pick: Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon (109th overall)
Least Favorite Pick: Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington (8th overall)
Their grades on the rest of the South:
Panthers: C
Favorite Pick: Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina (32nd overall)
Least Favorite Pick: Jonathan Brooks, RB, Texas (46th overall)

Saints: B-
Favorite Pick: Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina (150th overall)
Least Favorite Pick: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (41st overall)

Bucs: B+
Favorite Pick: Graham Barton, OL, Duke (26th overall)
Least Favorite Pick: Chris Braswell, Edge, Alabama (57th overall)
Don't tread on me
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Is OBP just praying all our CBs stay healthy for the first time ever? I don't hate the draft, and glad we addressed OL with our top pick, but it's baffling we got rid of one of three outside CBs and decide not to bring anyone else in. I'm not even sold on zyon, teams went at him when he replaced CD/JD and he struggled. I don't get it.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Biggest miss was not getting an inside LB. I thought Trotter Jr, or Payton Wilson would have been a great choice in the middle rounds. Lavonte is bound to be done this year, and we do not have a viable option after him. Not to mention the depth at that position is pretty bad.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

bucarican wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 pm Biggest miss was not getting an inside LB. I thought Trotter Jr, or Payton Wilson would have been a great choice in the middle rounds. Lavonte is bound to be done this year, and we do not have a viable option after him. Not to mention the depth at that position is pretty bad.
They had multiple opportunities to get both of those players. They must be happy with who they have in house.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm
bucarican wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 pm Biggest miss was not getting an inside LB. I thought Trotter Jr, or Payton Wilson would have been a great choice in the middle rounds. Lavonte is bound to be done this year, and we do not have a viable option after him. Not to mention the depth at that position is pretty bad.
They had multiple opportunities to get both of those players. They must be happy with who they have in house.
I must say that I also found that I was at first surprised then incredulous then grumpy about the Bucs not adding a middle linebacker in the draft this year. But stepping back and looking at the larger picture, I think we will be okay.

LVD is an ageless wonder, and perhaps we will be blessed to see him do his thing for another full and healthy year. But even if LVD trails off or what have you, KJ Britt and SirVocea Dennis were drafted by this regime to play in this defense, both fifth round picks to groom and train up into starting caliber players for those middle spots. KJ had a half dozen starts last year after he took Devin White's job, including both playoff games, and while he had his share of errors I thought he was remarkably consistent all things considered. Dennis admittedly looked lost at times as a rookie, and that's okay, I didn't expect the world from him and I imagine he will only improve with further seasoning as MLB3.

If Bowles has confidence in those guys as the nucleus of our linebacking core, so do I.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Failure to address a position shouldn't be seen as an indication that the team is happy with what they have OR that it was the right choice. Resources can stretch only so far and we choice to use the majority of those on keeping players already on the team and adding to other areas.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 pm

Failure to address a position shouldn't be seen as an indication that the team is happy with what they have OR that it was the right choice. Resources can stretch only so far and we choice to use the majority of those on keeping players already on the team and adding to other areas.
Ok… They didn’t seem to see it as the major need others did because they made the conscious decision not to address it in free agency (beyond LVD) or over multiple rounds in the NFL draft and also let Devin White walk.

I take that to mean they liked what they saw in Britt/Dennis. But, others may feel differently.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Or at minimum want to give them the opportunity before investing in the position again.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Now the question is how many of these guys make the 1st final 53. Last 2 draft
fts 7 out of 8 made it. The only spot I really see a bit of a log jam in terms of current bodies are OG & CB. We'll have to let go of somebody, whether it be recent FA signings, recent draftees or rookies.