2021 draft class revisted

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: 2021 draft class revisted

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:02 am So who are the plus players in the 2021 draft
There's a few. Jaylen Waddle,Micah Parsons, Penai Sewell, Devonte Smith, Patrick Surtain, Jevon Holland Creed Humphrey, Talanoa Hufunga, Landon Dickerson to name a few.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:42 pm Yes, the 2021 draft....the one where we could've literally forfeit all our picks and our season/roster would not have been affected in the slightest. In fact, had we skipped the draft we would've need to fill those roster slots with other UDFAs/FAs which would've almost certainly net us more than the 0 return we got from that rookie class.

Pathetic.

Btw, I remember calling out that dogshit draft the weekend it happened, especially the Trash pick. Many disagreed with me....
Yes, it was a bad draft. Some of them just are. Even with the benefit of hindsight it’s difficult to go back and say, “we should have drafted this guy or that guy” from our tier being the last pick of each round.

Should have traded up for Rousseau! Should have traded up for Creed Humphrey! I knew Amon RA St. Brown would be the 2nd best WR from this draft. Come on… I’ll give it to @Nobody though. He definitely called Humphrey. Went one pick before Trask. :shrug:

Pretty much every single player outside the top 20 from that draft has been a borderline non-factor.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:32 am
Pretty much every single player outside the top 20 from that draft has been a borderline non-factor.
That's ironic coming from you. There are players in that draft that are head and shoulders better than players on this team that you absolutely gush over.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Amon-Ra St Brown is a top 5 WR at this point. I'd take him on this team.

I'd take Nico Collins over Trey Palmer. Hell, I'd take him over Chris Godwin.

I'd take Christian Darrisaw over Luke Goedeke.

I'd take Nick Bolton & Jeremiah Owusu over whoever is playing next to LVD.

We'd all take Travis Ettine over Rachaad White.

We'd all take Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson over our IOL.

But sure....Borderline "non-factors".
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:48 am Amon-Ra St Brown is a top 5 WR at this point. I'd take him on this team.

I suppose the argument can be made that if we picked the right guys in 2021 we could have made another run to repeat.

However at this point we can't pay all of them unless we're trading them for picks. We would have to. Even though this class wasn't good, right now we don't have much cap and still trying to resign Wirfs and AWJ.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If only we could draft with the benefit of three years worth of hindsight data. Makes it pretty easy to cherry pick the handful of guys that have been impactful.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 am
Bootz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:48 am Amon-Ra St Brown is a top 5 WR at this point. I'd take him on this team.

I suppose the argument can be made that if we picked the right guys in 2021 we could have made another run to repeat.

However at this point we can't pay all of them unless we're trading them for picks. We would have to. Even though this class wasn't good, right now we don't have much cap and still trying to resign Wirfs and AWJ.
Usually you can go back if you whiff on a pick and find that player we “should have taken,” but I don’t feel that way about this draft if I’m being objective.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lets play Bootz favorite game.

239 players drafted after the top 20.
Bootz named 8 players to "disprove your point."

8 players out of 237 = 3%
Yet Bootz is implying there was totally meat on the bone and that 3% is more than enough to debunk a "after top 20 the rest were borderline non factors" comment.

Yet when someone pointed out to him Liam called plays for the Rams to disprove his "he's only called plays in college" comment, he raged at how calling 5% of plays doesn't count.

So a coach can't take credit for doing 5% but a GM can totally take blame for missing on a 3%.

Bootz math.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 am

NOT extending AWJ & Wirfs right is why we don't have much cap room.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:12 am If only we could draft with the benefit of three years worth of hindsight data. Makes it pretty easy to cherry pick the handful of guys that have been impactful.
You said every player outside of the top 20 was a borderline non-factor. You don't need hindsight to see who's a difference maker from that or any draft today.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Why do I keep bothering with Graham and Doc nonsensical posts?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:19 am Lets play Bootz favorite game.

239 players drafted after the top 20.
Bootz named 8 players to "disprove your point."

8 players out of 237 = 3%
Yet Bootz is implying there was totally meat on the bone and that 3% is more than enough to debunk a "after top 20 the rest were borderline non factors" comment.

Yet when someone pointed out to him Liam called plays for the Rams to disprove his "he's only called plays in college" comment, he raged at how calling 5% of plays doesn't count.

So a coach can't take credit for doing 5% but a GM can totally take blame for missing on a 3%.

Bootz math.
I did say "to name a few". But you wanted more so let's go.

Amon-Ra St Brown
Christian Darrisaw
Travis Etienne
Jevon Holland
Landon Dickerson
Christian Barmore
Creed Humphrey
Nico Collins
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramiah
Talanoa Hufunga
Nick Bolton
Pat Friermuth

Those 12 get us to 5%, which by your standards is more than enough seeing as you equated Liam's calling of 5% of the Rams plays ad sufficient evidence of him being an NFL player caller.....And unlike Coen's 5% which is capped, there are more than 12 good players who were drafted after pick 20 in this draft.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Would we say that’s more/less/average for any given draft in terms of impact players? Feels like way less to me.

And you’re listing several players we had no chance of acquiring.

Every GM missed on St. Brown. Even the Lions’ GM missed on him at least twice. The DLinemen they took in rounds 2 and 3 have 68 career tackles combined. Is he getting blasted because they didn’t trade up for JTS? JTS has 72 and 13 sacks.

No, because they got Sewell and St. Brown in this draft. I’m sure they’re thrilled. They picked 7th overall.

I’d argue any draft that gets 3 starters is a good one. Even if they’re average starters. Especially when you pick last.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Now, 2022? I’ll complain about Logan Hall. A bunch of players we could have had in that tier have made a difference.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bootz wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 pm Speaking of which, the 2011 draft as a while was one of the most talented drafts top to bottom. And we came away with absolutely nothing.
6 DEs in that draft went on to be pro bowlers. We picked two with our first two picks; Adrian Clayborn and DaQuan Bowers. Lol.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some of you are ridiculous. The draft romanticism is nuts.

Half the first round, the "cream of the crop", bust. A damn coin flip and it only gets worst from there. Your chances of getting heads 3 times in a row flips is 12%.

So with 3 first round picks you have a 12% chance of coming away with three non busts.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:53 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 pm Speaking of which, the 2011 draft as a while was one of the most talented drafts top to bottom. And we came away with absolutely nothing.
6 DEs in that draft went on to be pro bowlers. We picked two with our first two picks; Adrian Clayborn and DaQuan Bowers. Lol.
2 guys with medical red flags. What could've possibly gone wrong?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:28 pm Now, 2022? I’ll complain about Logan Hall. A bunch of players we could have had in that tier have made a difference.

That is of course if you don't think different teams could produce different results
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:41 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:28 pm Now, 2022? I’ll complain about Logan Hall. A bunch of players we could have had in that tier have made a difference.

That is of course if you don't think different teams could produce different results
Also a factor of course.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Could this be the year where Tryon and Hall feel competitive urgency - they are still young.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm for more competition so Licht bring in Joshua Zekiah Pryor to see if he can bring it.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Tryon-Shoyinka reminds me of Gaines Adams. Can blow right by their blocker and just end up pushed out of the play. He was a talented enough player to take a flyer on at 32 but just didn’t work out.

Trask however was a bonehead move, I said it before and after we drafted him. Just don’t think he had enough upside to justify sitting behind Brady when we could’ve used more significant depth elsewhere to try and win another Super Bowl. Hainsey I really liked but he sadly hasn’t worked out so far. Maybe being moved from center can unlock something out of him on a contract year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I defend the Penix pick because QB is the one position that breaks all the rules. Where "bad" is a kiss of death. And it can be years before you even have a class where there's an opportunity to get an answer, and then you gotta hit it. If you think you got it in Penix, pull the trigger.

Trask was the 64th pick. Like come on. Not to mention had a beautiful bread basket deep ball that would've been biscuits for Bruce Arians. So it didn't happen. Get over it.

People expect front offices to find franchise QBs without turning over more than one rock. I like the fit we have now. Liam-Baker works and their both here now. That's solving the QB position. That's what matters.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

The same guys who say “I’d take a QB every year” probably then turn around and trash the Trask and Penix picks.