Justin Fields: Shittsburgh Steeler

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Justin Fields: Shittsburgh Steeler

Post by Doctor »

There's still plenty of time for Fields. In the right situation, which I think pit can be, he can still turn it around. And if Wilson never gives him a shot, he gets to be a FA soon. Controlling your own location is huge for a player, especially QB, looking to redo.

I don't think he'll do it, because the NFL is just hard, but the story is far from written on Fields.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You're quite the optimist, aren't you, Doc?
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s easy to dream on Justin Fields. Crazy arm talent. One of the 10 or 15 best physical athletes at the position, in the history of the sport.

He’s also a great example of how physical talent can be rendered relatively ineffective when you run a mental 6.45.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Is that suppose to be like a slow forty metaphor or out of 10?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Both are applicable tbh.

(40 time)
BuccaNOLEer

Re: Where will Justin Fields land?

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:40 am So, it was a 6th and he’s likely a backup. I guess the NFL has spoken.
I said this in another thread. Horrible, horrible trade. You have a guy you spent a first rounder on that has some potential still and all you can get is a sixth round pick??

I can take a shit and get a sixth round pick out of it. Chicago's GM is softer than a rotten peach.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Fields is that bad.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:40 am So, it was a 6th and he’s likely a backup. I guess the NFL has spoken.
I said this in another thread. Horrible, horrible trade. You have a guy you spent a first rounder on that has some potential still and all you can get is a sixth round pick??

I can take a shit and get a sixth round pick out of it. Chicago's GM is softer than a rotten peach.
Maybe, but he's built a fantastic roster for Williams. I can't remember a situation where a 1st overall QB had a better team.

They've added o line, rb, 2 WRs to go with Moore and Kmet, and had a decent defense already.

Poles has done a fantastic job rebuilding that team on paper.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

Maybe, but he's built a fantastic roster for Williams. I can't remember a situation where a 1st overall QB had a better team.

They've added o line, rb, 2 WRs to go with Moore and Kmet, and had a decent defense already.

The Bears know they did a terrible job putting a team around Justin Fields. That's why they worked overtime building that offense. Fields and Luke Getsy were the scapegoats.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Big Ben walked into a stacked roster.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

The Bears know they did a terrible job putting a team around Justin Fields. That's why they worked overtime building that offense. Fields and Luke Getsy were the scapegoats.
Do you feel the same way about Justin Herbert?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:46 am
Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

Do you feel the same way about Justin Herbert?
The Chargers had way more talent around him than the Bears did Fields. They also put resources into getting pieces around him. It hasn't hurt Herbert in anyway as he now makes more than $50mil/year.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

For you all haters

First look at Justin Fields in his Steelers uniform
The manual states: "Players must tuck in their jerseys, refrain from wearing bandannas, and ensure that their stockings meet specific color and length requirements. Specifically, stockings must be white from the top of the shoe to midcalf and in an approved team color from midcalf to the bottom of the pant leg, extending below the knee."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

That boy is stout
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Nice camel toe.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I wasn't a Fields believer when he came out. Still am not one now. I was a big Wilson believer in both Seattle and Denver, obviously wrong on the latter.

With that said, I LOVE what Pittsburgh is doing. It's exactly what you're supposed to do. You didn't like your QB options in the draft, do you just roll over, call the season a loss, and prep for the tank? No.

You grab the best dice rolls you can and roll your roll. Reviving a former SB MVP? A former top pick? Both have been done before. Maybe they do it too.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:28 pm I wasn't a Fields believer when he came out. Still am not one now. I was a big Wilson believer in both Seattle and Denver, obviously wrong on the latter.

With that said, I LOVE what Pittsburgh is doing. It's exactly what you're supposed to do. You didn't like your QB options in the draft, do you just roll over, call the season a loss, and prep for the tank? No.

You grab the best dice rolls you can and roll your roll. eviving a former SB MVP? A former top pick? Both have been done before. Maybe they do it too.
Who's this former SB MVP?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:28 pm I wasn't a Fields believer when he came out. Still am not one now. I was a big Wilson believer in both Seattle and Denver, obviously wrong on the latter.

You grab the best dice rolls you can and roll your roll. Reviving a former SB MVP? A former top pick? Both have been done before. Maybe they do it too.
@CannonFire Basically offered options like Russell Wilson on the cheap or trading for Fields and drafting a rookie in both cases and you're...applauding a team with Fields and Wilson that didn't draft a QB? So, I am guessing if we signed Wilson and traded for Fields BUT didn't draft a QB to all 3 compete to be our QB you would be happy? I just confirming the vibe this post sending
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:56 pm

@CannonFire Basically offered options like Russell Wilson on the cheap or trading for Fields and drafting a rookie in both cases and you're...applauding a team with Fields and Wilson that didn't draft a QB? So, I am guessing if we signed Wilson and traded for Fields BUT didn't draft a QB to all 3 compete to be our QB you would be happy? I just confirming the vibe this post sending
Yeah, weird huh? :lol:
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

The Steelers are doing with Wilson/Fields what we did with Mayfield/Trask in 2023. @CannonFire 's options were after Mayfield already turned in a great season for us. If Wilson or Fields do the same for the Steelers they'll likely sign that player to an extension ala Baker.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:35 pm

The Steelers are doing with Wilson/Fields what we did with Mayfield/Trask in 2023. @CannonFire 's options were after Mayfield already turned in a great season for us. If Wilson or Fields do the same for the Steelers they'll likely sign that player to an extension ala Baker.
Which is debatable.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:48 pm It’s easy to dream on Justin Fields. Crazy arm talent. One of the 10 or 15 best physical athletes at the position, in the history of the sport.

He’s also a great example of how physical talent can be rendered relatively ineffective when you run a mental 6.45.
Great runner. Amazing hands. Very good balance. Complete route tree.

Yeah that'll make a fantastic QB in this league.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The vibe should be similar to the vibe from this post last year.
Doctor wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:32 pm The QB Competition
And we have finally arrived. The position everyone zeroes in on- the QB. As the league keeps pushing the offense and passing attack we keep hearing “You need an elite QB to win”… hog wash. Elite QB duels are great for ratings and the league, but don’t be fooled by this previous SB shootout. Our very own win saw the best QB in the league held to just 9 points. And while we did have the goat on our side, you don’t need a super star to beat 9 points. Before that Jimmy G was 3 minutes away from also beating that same God-mode QB and the SB before that was a 13-3 slugfest. Shoot outs are fun, but they don’t hold a monopoly on chips. Despite the marketing pitch.

However, your QB still needs to at least play well when the time comes. The beauty about our situation is that even IF our answer isn’t on the team, the rest of the team is well set up to welcome the answer when they arrive. See the Steelers when Ben arrived, the Seahawks when Wilson arrived, or our very own Bucs just 3 years ago when Brady arrived. These guys were all able to hit the ground running and have quick success because of what was ready for them. If nothing else we got that. But before we start looking for the next new thing, let’s take a closer look at what we have here.

In the Blue Corner
The already dismissed Kyle Trask. The irony here is that if he would’ve taken over for Brady last year as planned he’d have all the hype of other “groomed transition QB”, yet for some reason a year delay has caused that all to evaporate. And while super athletes are all the rage right now, we have a long list of QBs from Brady to Cousins to Purdy having success in the right systems. Trask has Bull energy, which makes some cringe. I don’t care. We’re winning on defense. Bowles holds the Chiefs to 9 points, we can Brad Johnson another chip. His career thus far is a cliché of “waiting for my shot”. Well this is it for him now. Remember this guy was hand picked for intangibles by the QB whisperer to take over for Brady. He was a Heisman finalist that had 5 losses in college, 77 TDs to 15 INTs, and broke the single season TD record at UF. He really just hasn’t done anything lately is all. But this could be the where all that changes.

In the Red Corner
I’m so glad we aren’t just handing the job out. The irony is that the ideal QB for this kind of situation would be a Jameis Winston- someone who still has believers in NOLA. We got someone else’s Winston. A first overall pick with all the talent and moxy in the world at the feet of a series of unfortunate events. After leading the hapless Browns to their first playoff win in forever they couldn’t help but trade up for Watson. Off field issues outside, no one can disagree this was just a good football move. He went to an equally hapless Panthers team before finally landing with a good staff in McVay. Hopefully this is another good staff. An ideal spot to reclaim a career. We were talking Brad Johnson earlier, remember he had 3 teams before us as well. With all the talent of a rookie savior you can ask for, Baker Mayfield is here to win this job.
The vibe is that of, "Hey, you got a hole a QB, maybe there's something in one of these two". Had the Baker bet failed, and we also weren't for this QB class, then yes, this Wilson/Fields experiment is about as good of one you can have to shake out and answer. That is NOT at all what CF has been saying.

Also, as Graham has already pointed out, Baker had a great season. So no, as good as an experiment as the Steeles are running over there to find a QB may be.... everyone at OBP agrees we already found our QB.

I actually know that you can have success with retread QBs. CF believes they are all deflowered losers who can only be of use in helping you get a top pick so you may as well go with the cheapest one.

Thats not the same vibe.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I don't agree with what the Steelers did, quitting on Pickett only after 2 years. I actually think their QB situation this year is worse. It may look sexy on paper (because of potential) but Wilson is 37 on the down side of his career in a new offense and Fields is just awful. Their only hope is Wilson, honestly.

Wait why did they rid their first round QB?? :lol:
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:20 am

The vibe should be similar to the vibe from this post last year.
Doctor wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:32 pm The QB Competition
And we have finally arrived. The position everyone zeroes in on- the QB. As the league keeps pushing the offense and passing attack we keep hearing “You need an elite QB to win”… hog wash. Elite QB duels are great for ratings and the league, but don’t be fooled by this previous SB shootout. Our very own win saw the best QB in the league held to just 9 points. And while we did have the goat on our side, you don’t need a super star to beat 9 points. Before that Jimmy G was 3 minutes away from also beating that same God-mode QB and the SB before that was a 13-3 slugfest. Shoot outs are fun, but they don’t hold a monopoly on chips. Despite the marketing pitch.

However, your QB still needs to at least play well when the time comes. The beauty about our situation is that even IF our answer isn’t on the team, the rest of the team is well set up to welcome the answer when they arrive. See the Steelers when Ben arrived, the Seahawks when Wilson arrived, or our very own Bucs just 3 years ago when Brady arrived. These guys were all able to hit the ground running and have quick success because of what was ready for them. If nothing else we got that. But before we start looking for the next new thing, let’s take a closer look at what we have here.

In the Blue Corner
The already dismissed Kyle Trask. The irony here is that if he would’ve taken over for Brady last year as planned he’d have all the hype of other “groomed transition QB”, yet for some reason a year delay has caused that all to evaporate. And while super athletes are all the rage right now, we have a long list of QBs from Brady to Cousins to Purdy having success in the right systems. Trask has Bull energy, which makes some cringe. I don’t care. We’re winning on defense. Bowles holds the Chiefs to 9 points, we can Brad Johnson another chip. His career thus far is a cliché of “waiting for my shot”. Well this is it for him now. Remember this guy was hand picked for intangibles by the QB whisperer to take over for Brady. He was a Heisman finalist that had 5 losses in college, 77 TDs to 15 INTs, and broke the single season TD record at UF. He really just hasn’t done anything lately is all. But this could be the where all that changes.

In the Red Corner
I’m so glad we aren’t just handing the job out. The irony is that the ideal QB for this kind of situation would be a Jameis Winston- someone who still has believers in NOLA. We got someone else’s Winston. A first overall pick with all the talent and moxy in the world at the feet of a series of unfortunate events. After leading the hapless Browns to their first playoff win in forever they couldn’t help but trade up for Watson. Off field issues outside, no one can disagree this was just a good football move. He went to an equally hapless Panthers team before finally landing with a good staff in McVay. Hopefully this is another good staff. An ideal spot to reclaim a career. We were talking Brad Johnson earlier, remember he had 3 teams before us as well. With all the talent of a rookie savior you can ask for, Baker Mayfield is here to win this job.
The vibe is that of, "Hey, you got a hole a QB, maybe there's something in one of these two". Had the Baker bet failed, and we also weren't for this QB class, then yes, this Wilson/Fields experiment is about as good of one you can have to shake out and answer. That is NOT at all what CF has been saying.

Also, as Graham has already pointed out, Baker had a great season. So no, as good as an experiment as the Steeles are running over there to find a QB may be.... everyone at OBP agrees we already found our QB.

I actually know that you can have success with retread QBs. CF believes they are all deflowered losers who can only be of use in helping you get a top pick so you may as well go with the cheapest one.

Thats not the same vibe.
The irony of your post then and now, as it relates to Winston and Mayfield is that their numbers are virtually identical when you look at Comp%, TD%, Int%, y/a, & passer rating. Yet, you were happy to get rid of Winston (like most of us), and oddly happy with the Bucs re-signing Mayfield.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Mayfield has now taken two different teams to the playoffs and won playoff games.

He’s a leader. The players respond to him.

Not everything is about statistics.

Had Winston owned his issues and quit acting like a douche off and on the field I’d have advocated for him too. He’s an extremely physically talented QB.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:24 pm Mayfield has now taken two different teams to the playoffs and won playoff games.

Had Winston owned his issues and quit acting like a douche off and on the field I’d have advocated for him too. He’s an extremely physically talented QB.
To be honest, I think Winston is a good quarterback if he cut down his Int.. Unfortunately, no one give him a chance to start but the Saints
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:27 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:24 pm Mayfield has now taken two different teams to the playoffs and won playoff games.

To be honest, I think Winston is a good quarterback if he cut down his Int.. Unfortunately, no one give him a chance to start but the Saints
His brief stint with Payton benefitted him. He was a different player under his tutelage. He could have been their answer long term if they had an opportunity to grow that relationship.

Devin White horse collared him and ended his starting career. Essentially.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That being said? Jameis should have just thrown it away. :shrug:
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Baker barely won the worst division in football on a roster that won a Superbowl just a few years prior. He took many, many unnecessary sacks and had some bad interceptions. He played with grit and was a leader on the field, making some good throws as well.

The sacks and turnover worthy plays are something he should have grown out of by now, but he hasn't. That's something you grow out of by your 3rd or 4th season. He's now on his 7th.

He looked really good in the playoffs, playing at an elevated level. But then he threw it all away on an awful, poor decision interception. Again, the type of throw he shouldn't be making in year 7. That's Baker Mayfield, and it doesn't seem like it will ever change.

In modern sports its essential to look past stats. We have the technology and resources to understand player performance at a higher level. Baker Mayfield performed at an average, below-average level last season despite the stats saying otherwise.

Jameis Winston led the league with 5109 passing yards and 30 TDs in 2019. So why wasn't he re-signed in 2020? Oh yeah because there's a bigger element than stats to judging player performance.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I believe Fields will succeed with the Steelers. I am excited to see how the Steelers utilize him. Will they use him in the Wildcat offense? Wide receiver role?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:04 pm Baker barely won the worst division in football on a roster that won a Superbowl just a few years prior. He took many, many unnecessary sacks and had some bad interceptions. He played with grit and was a leader on the field, making some good throws as well.

The sacks and turnover worthy plays are something he should have grown out of by now, but he hasn't. That's something you grow out of by your 3rd or 4th season. He's now on his 7th.

He looked really good in the playoffs, playing at an elevated level. But then he threw it all away on an awful, poor decision interception. Again, the type of throw he shouldn't be making in year 7. That's Baker Mayfield, and it doesn't seem like it will ever change.

In modern sports its essential to look past stats. We have the technology and resources to understand player performance at a higher level. Baker Mayfield performed at an average, below-average level last season despite the stats saying otherwise.

Jameis Winston led the league with 5109 passing yards and 30 TDs in 2019. So why wasn't he re-signed in 2020? Oh yeah because there's a bigger element than stats to judging player performance.
Brett Favre threw passes no one should have throughout his 20 year career. He AVERAGED nearly 17 ints every year and everyone is "OMG Green Bay had 40 years of HoF QB play!" Gunslingers and no one will confuse Baker of being anything but is a gunslinger. Get to the post season and anything can happen. Both Rodgers and Favre have exactly one Super Bowl win each. On pure talent and football IQ, that should be 0 to 3. If Baker like Flacco and other gunslinger get a random hot streak in the playoffs we can win a Super Bowl. Or he will be like Smokin' Jay Cutler who was Flacco without the hot streak.

So to all the Baker haters. If we can't make the playoffs 2 out of the next 3 years then yeah. You were 100% right. If we eek. Even eek into the playoffs 3 out of 4 years then he is our Favre. Our Flacco. Yes our Cutler. You never know how far we will go
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:04 pm Baker barely won the worst division in football on a roster that won a Superbowl just a few years prior. He took many, many unnecessary sacks and had some bad interceptions. He played with grit and was a leader on the field, making some good throws as well.

I mean, parts of this are correct. Baker's propensity for sacks in the maroon/green zone, the 20 yards before the red zone at the opposition's 20-40 yard line, were especially backbreaking.

That said, it was Baker's first year on the team in a brand new offense. I think his arrow is pointing up and he can win us ballgames.