Five worst Jason Licht draft picks

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Five worst Jason Licht draft picks

Post by Doctor »

nybf wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:03 pm as if it wasn't a 99.99% consensus pick.
You must have missed the countless pages of Winston vs Mariota vs trade back debate. It was anything but consensus.
Yes, on our little message board, sure. But in the overall football community, it was Winston going #1 all year long and even up to the draft.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 pm

You must have missed the countless pages of Winston vs Mariota vs trade back debate. It was anything but consensus.
Yes, on our little message board, sure. But in the overall football community, it was Winston going #1 all year long and even up to the draft.
I'm aware of no one outside this board who offered the opinion that the Bucs should take anyone else or any other position than Winston at QB and that includes a lot of people who didn't like him from around here.

I thought Winston was a Lovie pick all the way anyway. Maybe Licht agreed with it but I think Lovie was calling the shots at that point.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:41 am
Terry Tate wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:51 am

Maybe. But, for all of the issues Winston has had, he was a starter last year and Mariota wasn't. Winston may be a starter somewhere this year too. We picked the better of the two shit sandwiches/.

At the end of the day, it just shows what a crap shoot drafting a QB is. Look at the best QB's in the league right now, Out of the top 15 the only #1 overall picks are Murray and Stafford. We had the #1 overall in a trap year and it set us back half a decade.
What about Burrow? I would say even early on he's top 15 at least.
You have me there. I had forgotten about Burrow for a second. He isn't very far into his career but his accomplishments can't be discounted.

I likely forget him because the Bengals couldn't finish the job against those damned Rams.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lovie did have final roster say, but even I (a massive JL supporter) am not going to pretend he wouldn't have drafted Winston with that pick. I'd be SHOCKED if there was a single GM that year that wouldn't have taken Winston #1. I don't care how many pages a few accounts on a message board made a thread.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:03 pm as if it wasn't a 99.99% consensus pick.
While I wasn't on BZ or where ever you all were back when Winston was drafted, I thought both Winston and Mariota would be turds. I was really, really crestfallen when they picked Winston. I wanted them to trade out so much.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There are probably less than a handful of HC/GMs who have enough rope to pass on the league consensus top QB of a draft class on a QBless team and Lovie/Licht are not among them.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:04 pm There are probably less than a handful of HC/GMs who have enough rope to pass on the league consensus top QB of a draft class on a QBless team and Lovie/Licht are not among them.
Picking at 27th makes it very easy. Lovie Smith is taking for a QB next year.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:04 pm There are probably less than a handful of HC/GMs who have enough rope to pass on the league consensus top QB of a draft class on a QBless team and Lovie/Licht are not among them.
Yeah, it was never going to happen. It was Winston vs Mariota the entire time. Turned out, both would have been a mistake. So it goes.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nano

Post by Nano »

Tbh, it's curious who we even would've traded down for that would've worked. Some of the favorite players of the trade down group were Leonard Williams and Vic Beasly, both of whom have had weak careers.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:06 am Tbh, it's curious who we even would've traded down for that would've worked. Some of the favorite players of the trade down group were Leonard Williams and Vic Beasly, both of whom have had weak careers.
I wouldn't say Williams had a weak career. He's been a damn good player. Not an Aaron Donald Megastar, but an A- defensive lineman.

I think the biggest "what if" is the Chip Kelly/Mariota offer. As I recall, it was multiple 1sts, Sam Bradford, Fletcher Cox, and some additional picks. I'm sure that wasn't the only offer we got.

But again, I don't fault Licht for not taking it. We didn't have a QB. Winston (and Mariota) had franchise quarterback attributes. If we deal that pick away and that guy makes good, we're talking about it with the biggest bonehead moves in franchise history. And that's IF the Glazers had even let them make a deal.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yup. I also love how the same fans that believes there's only one way to rebuild (blow it all up and tank for a top QB) are the same fans saying they totally would've passed on Winston.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:22 am Yup. I also love how the same fans that believes there's only one way to rebuild (blow it all up and tank for a top QB) are the same fans saying they totally would've passed on Winston.
Where are these arguments?
BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

nybf wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:37 am
Terry Tate wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:51 am

Maybe.
Maybe what?
They were daily almost it seemed.