Rodgers: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Rodgers: PAID

Post by Doctor »

Doctor

Re: Rodgers: PAID

Post by Doctor »

At the end of the day diva's gonna diva.

I think he realized that, money being equal, the Packers remain the best place for him to win. He tries to scapegoat them for his losing but the reality is GB is about one of the finest franchises to have a career as there is in this league.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Boy that Jordan Love pick was a great idea, huh
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean if we're going to play the silly hindsight game, no.

But given how hard it is to hit on the QB position, I'm never going to be too mad at a franchise taking a QB they like when they can because you never know when you'll get such an opportunity again. Especially when you're currently leaning on one of the most fickle diva's in the game.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:42 am At the end of the day diva's gonna diva.

I think he realized that, money being equal, the Packers remain the best place for him to win. He tries to scapegoat them for his losing but the reality is GB is about one of the finest franchises to have a career as there is in this league.
Rodgers is an interesting guy. Smart, sensitive, arrogant, funny. Date starlets. Goes on popular podcasts.

But I read he likes to hole up in his house and not really go anywhere. If playing ball is the number one concern, Green Bay seems as good as any.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

This is the point where I question if even a franchise QB is worth that cap hit. Even a stud QB like Rodgers needs a team around him

This just made our search for Bradys replacement a lot more interesting. Even if we traded for a guy like Wilson, his agent isn't going to shut up about 50 mill a year.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Rodgers is a fucking whack-job. A rich whack-job, but a whack-job none-the-less. Looking forward to him choking in the NFCCG for the next several years.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I remember when Aaron Rodgers disowned his entire family because they did not approve of him wanting to marry a clout chasing Hollywood whore. Who later went on to prove that’s exactly what she was. LOL!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

PetePierson wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:05 pm Other than the Rams (whom I expect to have worse title defense than the Yucks), who the fuck does he have to worry about in the NFC?

They won 13 games, what? 3 seasons in a row?

Smart move oh and the $150 million bones.
According to history, whoever he's playing in the NFCCG
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

McAfee saying it’s fake news and he talked to Rodgers directly.

I would imagine they backloaded the contract and that Rapoport is actually right.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Oh it's gotta be backloaded af.

It's a copy cat league. Last two champs were "all in" kinda teams.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:07 pm I remember when Aaron Rodgers disowned his entire family because they did not approve of him wanting to marry a clout chasing Hollywood whore. Who later went on to prove that’s exactly what she was. LOL!
The version of events I've heard whispered is, Rodgers is gay, and his family is the kind of old-school Christian who thinks that's worse than Hitler, and that's where their divide comes from. No idea if it's true. I do know that if it does turn out Rodgers is gay, it'll be the least surprising closet exit since Elton John.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:42 am Boy that Jordan Love pick was a great idea, huh
They should trade him for picks ASAP.

Rodgers and Adams are like $70M in cap space by themselves. Packers need alot of 1st contract players to fill out that roster.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Dread wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:42 am Boy that Jordan Love pick was a great idea, huh

Rodgers and Adams are like $70M in cap space by themselves. Packers need alot of 1st contract players to fill out that roster.
He wouldn't save them much, but the assets they could acquire would be useful to fill out the roster, because they have a TON of savings to be made with some of the guys on the team. If they cut the Smith Rushers, Adrian Amos, Randall Cobb, Dean Lowery, Mason Crosby, and Billy Turner, they'd save a combined $41 mil or so. Not saying they will or should cut all those guys, but there will be bloodshed.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Define "great idea."

Did it work out? It doesn't appear so. Love looked horrible in his audition, and Rodgers did a 180 on his plans.

Was the thought process solid? Yes. Assuming LaFleur liked him (safe assumption.) They had a grumpy 36 year old starter who was already whining about his future and his money and everything else. With a late 1st, they added a QB they liked who they'd have dirt-cheap team control of for four years, plus reasonable team control for two years after.

Is your argument, "they should have passed on a QB they liked because they should have assumed Aaron Rodgers would a) still be playing great at 38, b) completely change his mind about wanting to be there the rest of his career and c) known Love wouldn't develop as they'd hoped?"

Outcome =/= thought process. The thought process made sense then, and it still does. It's impossible to predict 3 years in the future in the league, so you prepare.
Let's roll another joint
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:26 am
Dread wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:18 am

He wouldn't save them much, but the assets they could acquire would be useful to fill out the roster, because they have a TON of savings to be made with some of the guys on the team. If they cut the Smith Rushers, Adrian Amos, Randall Cobb, Dean Lowery, Mason Crosby, and Billy Turner, they'd save a combined $41 mil or so. Not saying they will or should cut all those guys, but there will be bloodshed.
Just what assets would they get for him? No one is just going to throw a first or second round pick on him. In the 1 1/2 games he played last year, he was 29/51 324 yards, 2 TDs and 3 Ints. That was his second year in their system. The scouting reports when he came out said he had poor decision making, ignored rotations in coverage, and threw YOLO balls. No one other than Green Bay looked to want to take him in the 1st round. What exact assets do you think they will get?
Dread

Post by Dread »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Just what assets would they get for him? No one is just going to throw a first or second round pick on him. In the 1 1/2 games he played last year, he was 29/51 324 yards, 2 TDs and 3 Ints. That was his second year in their system. The scouting reports when he came out said he had poor decision making, ignored rotations in coverage, and threw YOLO balls. No one other than Green Bay looked to want to take him in the 1st round. What exact assets do you think they will get?
Washington just gave up two 3rd rounders (maybe a 2nd and 3rd) AND agreed to pay Wentz $28M

A team would give up atleast that for Love considering his cheap contract the next 2 years and the cost control.

The Packers are cap strapped so they need talented young players on 1st contracts. That value is found in rounds 2-4, which Love can get you a couple extra picks in that range.

What's he doing on the bench behind Rodgers while his contract expires?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Uh uh. I wasn't suggesting they're going to get the Hershel Walker package for him. But a 3rd/4th, considering his youth, draft profile, and affordability? Absolutely.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s gotta go and he will go.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 pm He’s gotta go and he will go.
Probably not anytime soon.

Love costs $3.3 million against the cap this year, which is pretty cheap for a backup quarterback. They lose cap space if they cut him after June 1st, and gain less than $2 million in relief with a trade after the same deadline. Any veteran quarterback worth the roster spot is likely more expensive than Love would be.

I'd be surprised if Jordan Love isn't on the opening day roster for the Packers come Week One.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:04 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 pm He’s gotta go and he will go.
Probably not anytime soon.

Love costs $3.3 million against the cap this year, which is pretty cheap for a backup quarterback. They lose cap space if they cut him after June 1st, and gain less than $2 million in relief with a trade after the same deadline. Any veteran quarterback worth the roster spot is likely more expensive than Love would be.

I'd be surprised if Jordan Love isn't on the opening day roster for the Packers come Week One.
You wouldn't do it because it's a bad situation. You'd do it either because Rodgers made a point of it during negotiations (this just SOUNDS like something Rodgers would do, doesn't it?) or more likely, because they're going to cut A LOT of people to get under the cap, and the pick you'd get for Love (like I said, I'm guessing a 3rd or a 4th) is more valuable than a backup QB.

Most likely you're right, though. If anything, they're probably hoping they get a chance to showcase Love next year and he plays better, so they can deal him for value after the season.
Let's roll another joint
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:23 pm

Uh uh. I wasn't suggesting they're going to get the Hershel Walker package for him. But a 3rd/4th, considering his youth, draft profile, and affordability? Absolutely.
When you said assents, I thought you meant multiple picks.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:33 am
Define "great idea."

Did it work out? It doesn't appear so. Love looked horrible in his audition, and Rodgers did a 180 on his plans.

Was the thought process solid? Yes. Assuming LaFleur liked him (safe assumption.) They had a grumpy 36 year old starter who was already whining about his future and his money and everything else. With a late 1st, they added a QB they liked who they'd have dirt-cheap team control of for four years, plus reasonable team control for two years after.

Is your argument, "they should have passed on a QB they liked because they should have assumed Aaron Rodgers would a) still be playing great at 38, b) completely change his mind about wanting to be there the rest of his career and c) known Love wouldn't develop as they'd hoped?"

Outcome =/= thought process. The thought process made sense then, and it still does. It's impossible to predict 3 years in the future in the league, so you prepare.
Right on the money.

Seems like some fans like to judge things compared to the ideal, with hindsight, possibility that could've been.