Fournette: Re-signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: Fournette: Re-signed

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm Eh. I'm usually all for paying and drafting a RB what is needed, but is Lenny that guy? He was productive, but typical good back on a star team productive. Nothing wild. For 7M I'd rather role the dice giving that contract to Barkley for a fifth. Or see what the draft has. I think Lenny was in the best shape of his life last year and still wasn't the wow weapon you'd want him to be. Honestly, I'd much rather have given Patterson 2 years $11M and played him at RB.
I'm glad he's back. And I'm going to withhold judgement on the deal until I read the details. But first blush, we overpaid.
For every action there is a reaction, we whittled ourself down to 4 picks and 2 that almost the last picks in the draft.
That can quickly leave us with very few options.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm

I'm glad he's back. And I'm going to withhold judgement on the deal until I read the details. But first blush, we overpaid.
For every action there is a reaction, we whittled ourself down to 4 picks and 2 that almost the last picks in the draft.
I wish we'd gotten that comp third for Leftwich. That would have helped. But yeah. Not a lot of draft capital. I could very much see Licht looking to drop down from #27 to add another pick or two. Our depth at a few spots...RB, TE, IOL, DL specifically...not good. I expect every pick we use this year to make the 53 unless we make a huge mistake on someone. All of these guys will play and see snaps next year (though hopefully not too many.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nano

Post by Nano »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 am
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm

I wish we'd gotten that comp third for Leftwich. That would have helped. But yeah. Not a lot of draft capital. I could very much see Licht looking to drop down from #27 to add another pick or two. Our depth at a few spots...RB, TE, IOL, DL specifically...not good. I expect every pick we use this year to make the 53 unless we make a huge mistake on someone. All of these guys will play and see snaps next year (though hopefully not too many.)
2023 might be a big draft for us. We're already sitting at 8 picks and scheduled for 2 more in comps. If Leftwich leaves for a HC job, we'd get another 3rd as well.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:44 am
MJW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 am

2023 might be a big draft for us. We're already sitting at 8 picks and scheduled for 2 more in comps. If Leftwich leaves for a HC job, we'd get another 3rd as well.
Didn't realize that. That's good news. Good luck trying to guess where we'll be at in a year, though (I don't really think Brady retires after THIS season, either, unless we win a ring.)
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'd much rather keep Leftwich as long as we can but okay.

I like the deal more than the player. $7M is cheap for the service Lenny provides. Only $9M guaranteed.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:10 am I'd much rather keep Leftwich as long as we can but okay.

I like the deal more than the player. $7M is cheap for the service Lenny provides. Only $9M guaranteed.
I just saw the details. It's basically a 2 Year, $12.5 Mil Deal, with $4 mil against the cap this year and $8.5 next year. If he's producing at an elite level, we can keep him that 3rd year for another $8.5 mil, but if he's fallen off, we save $5.5 mil by cutting him.

I can live with that. It's more than he's worth on the open market. But I can see how he's worth that to US, considering the continuity, knowledge of the offense, and trust Brady has in him.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't know if it's "more" than he's worth in the open market, I think it's pretty much market value. But if you're going to get market value where ever you go anyway why bother moving houses, paying taxes, or going from Brady to... not Brady?

Top backs make $12-15M. Outside of that, you're looking at about $6-8M for a legit starter not on a rookie deal. He thought he was the former. The market disagreed. He's still a legit starter tho.

The deal and structure is "fine" overall.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:54 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:10 am I'd much rather keep Leftwich as long as we can but okay.

I just saw the details. It's basically a 2 Year, $12.5 Mil Deal, with $4 mil against the cap this year and $8.5 next year. If he's producing at an elite level, we can keep him that 3rd year for another $8.5 mil, but if he's fallen off, we save $5.5 mil by cutting him.
For '24, if they don't want him it is a $7mil savings. It's bonus $4.5mil , salary guarantee $2.5 and $2.0. $9mil total guarantee. Even if they cut him after this season....which I'd hope won't be an issue....they'd save $3.5mil on the cap next season ($8.5 to $5mil). I suspect the cap hit next year was placed there to potentially re-do next off season if necessary.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean if someone comes steals his job, that's awesome. All the better. But despite everyone having a hard-on for "RB can be found anywhere" the truth is we've swung out a lot and overall there are far more misses than hits. That's just the numbers.

Until we hit, and I mean hit on a guy that can do all three phases very well, I'm happy with Lenny. Especially at $7M. I still think there's a very high chance we go RB if there's a guy we like on the board. They are cheap, long deals. It's very common for great RBs to split some time their first couple of years with a vet, I could name a ton of examples. Overall we have more freedom.
Last edited by Doctor on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Fournette pass pro grades via PFF. Trying to find the final grade for last season…

'17: 54.6
'18: 37.4
'19: 33.6
'20: 28.9
nybf

Post by nybf »

Are those grades acceptable to iabl? I mean.... You all swear PFF is full of shit for Devin White. What's the criteria for accepting their grades? "if it paints the player in a light I approve of, the grades are correct"?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I use them to disparage DW all the time!

Really though, for something like a RB’s pass protection, I’ll definitely take five years of an “ok” metric over some random fan’s intuition.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:50 am Are those grades acceptable to iabl? I mean.... You all swear PFF is full of shit for Devin White. What's the criteria for accepting their grades? "if it paints the player in a light I approve of, the grades are correct"?
You've pretty much summed up how PFF bullshit is used around here.

Ironically it's kind of fitting. No one can explain how PFF came to the grade so you can't really expect someone to use subjective metrics....objectively. So they opt for a "1 size doesn't fit all" perspective.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm Eh. I'm usually all for paying and drafting a RB what is needed, but is Lenny that guy? He was productive, but typical good back on a star team productive. Nothing wild. For 7M I'd rather role the dice giving that contract to Barkley for a fifth. Or see what the draft has. I think Lenny was in the best shape of his life last year and still wasn't the wow weapon you'd want him to be. Honestly, I'd much rather have given Patterson 2 years $11M and played him at RB.
I checked up on Patterson's blocking on pass plays. They pretty much said he's horrible at blocking on pass plays. Anyone bigger than a corner he can't block, and even then he wasn't good at blocking. That is the reason we didn't pursue him. Might as well just sign RoJo back in that case.