Elden Ring Support Group

itsabucslife.com is not responsible for ensuring validity of any transaction.
Primeminister

Elden Ring Support Group

Post by Primeminister »

Okay so we just started Elden Ring tonight and…it’s as hard as some people said. Mrs PM and I are going to stick it out for a few days with this to see if we start winning easily. Have any of you played it yet?
Last edited by Primeminister on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Buc2 »

I haven't played it, but I'm intrigued by it and may buy it after reading some about it.

From what I read in the below article, winning isn't going to ever be "easy" per se. But the article does include a lot of links where you can go to get some help with the game without giving it away. If I do buy this game, you can bet I'll be taking advantage of some of those links.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog ... lden-ring/

The game asks you to remember what you’re doing if you don’t want to die constantly, so it tends to be more enjoyable if you can stay tuned in, recall details or make notes about details, and keep track of your own progress.
You can learn to be patient. Soulslike games have a reputation for difficulty that can be off-putting. There is truth to the idea that Soulslike games are hard, but I prefer to think of them as exercises in patience. You’re going to die a lot, but the trick is to rewire your brain to care less about death. It’s fine! You’ll die. Elden Ring is often about watching an enemy, learning its patterns, and then attacking when it’s safe, almost like a puzzle. It’s also about knowing when you’re outmatched, and knowing when to run away.
It sounds like it is a lot harder than games like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or Witcher: Wild Hunt. Both games I loved playing.
Don't tread on me
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Eh I don't play FromSoftware games because their PC ports are garbage, but it sounds like its a good one.
PanteraCanes

Post by PanteraCanes »

After watching others play it basically at any level anything can kill you. Though if you treat everything seriously as you level up then things get less tough.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Gonna follow this one here. I enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion and this seems to have a similar appeal. Is this any good?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:18 am Gonna follow this one here. I enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion and this seems to have a similar appeal. Is this any good?
I’ve only been playing it for a couple days now, but so far we are enjoying it. I’ll update as I get further into the story.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 am I haven't played it, but I'm intrigued by it and may buy it after reading some about it.

From what I read in the below article, winning isn't going to ever be "easy" per se. But the article does include a lot of links where you can go to get some help with the game without giving it away. If I do buy this game, you can bet I'll be taking advantage of some of those links.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog ... lden-ring/

The game asks you to remember what you’re doing if you don’t want to die constantly, so it tends to be more enjoyable if you can stay tuned in, recall details or make notes about details, and keep track of your own progress.
You can learn to be patient. Soulslike games have a reputation for difficulty that can be off-putting. There is truth to the idea that Soulslike games are hard, but I prefer to think of them as exercises in patience. You’re going to die a lot, but the trick is to rewire your brain to care less about death. It’s fine! You’ll die. Elden Ring is often about watching an enemy, learning its patterns, and then attacking when it’s safe, almost like a puzzle. It’s also about knowing when you’re outmatched, and knowing when to run away.
It sounds like it is a lot harder than games like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or Witcher: Wild Hunt. Both games I loved playing.
Thank you. I’m going to use those links as well.
uscbucsfan

Re: Elden Ring Support Group

Post by uscbucsfan »

I bought it digitally and returned it. It's not the difficulty (it was insanely difficult), but the mechanics and the lack of real storyline. I'm sure some will love it, but it just wasn't fun, especially just coming off the Witcher 3.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:36 pm I bought it digitally and returned it. It's not the difficulty (it was insanely difficult), but the mechanics and the lack of real storyline. I'm sure some will love it, but it just wasn't fun, especially just coming off the Witcher 3.
I forgot that you guys strongly recommended Witcher 3. Thanks for the reminder.
Nano

Post by Nano »

It's insanely difficult, but fun as hell when things start to click.

Just like all the Soulsborne games, you're never really going to ever become an in-game god(Unless you're "Let me solo her"). You might destroy the minor enemies, and even do well against the sub-bosses, but the moment you reach the story boss/new area...you're back to being bottom of the food chain. Your progression comes through with how you learn as you get your ass handed to you.

Honestly, using a guide could be good for you. From Soft does absolutely no handholding(ever) and you'll miss a ton if you don't know where to look. This game is made to explore, so don't always just follow the grace sites. Don't be afraid to use spirits either, as they can draw attention away from a boss for even a little bit.

Lastly. Try Finger, but hole.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:09 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:36 pm I bought it digitally and returned it. It's not the difficulty (it was insanely difficult), but the mechanics and the lack of real storyline. I'm sure some will love it, but it just wasn't fun, especially just coming off the Witcher 3.
Just started (yet another) fresh playthrough on Sunday, on PC using the "Netflix and Chill" Mod collection, without the character visuals change. Trying my hand at a Death March run. Strugglebus is real.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:55 pm

Just started (yet another) fresh playthrough on Sunday, on PC using the "Netflix and Chill" Mod collection, without the character visuals change. Trying my hand at a Death March run. Strugglebus is real.
You started Witcher or Elden Ring?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

And here I am getting high and taming crabs in No Man's Sky.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:06 am

You started Witcher or Elden Ring?
Witcher 3
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Using the Euphoria build Death March on NG+ has been pretty easy so far.

It does feel like cheating...I'm basically invincible and just whirl around killing everything in sight with Aerondight and Toussaint Knight's Steel Sword.

I played about an hour of NG+ with a Piercing Cold/Sign build, but then I read about the new DLC coming out in May/June and wanted to try to get through DM prior.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 am

Using the Euphoria build Death March on NG+ has been pretty easy so far.

It does feel like cheating...I'm basically invincible and just whirl around killing everything in sight with Aerondight and Toussaint Knight's Steel Sword.

I played about an hour of NG+ with a Piercing Cold/Sign build, but then I read about the new DLC coming out in May/June and wanted to try to get through DM prior.
I’ll probably add the DLC that gives the MW Witcher armor sets at some point because fuck those treasure maps, but yeah, refreshing everything before new content is a dopamine injection.

Team Triss or Team Yen?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Yen...not even close.

I don’t even have a desire to try with Triss.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I played Ninja Gaiden and didn't like that either. If a game is gonna be that difficult, I need a great story to make it worth it. to me.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 am I played Ninja Gaiden and didn't like that either. If a game is gonna be that difficult, I need a great story to make it worth it. to me.
Same here and there's almost no story.

If the fighting mechanics were better, I would have tried more, but they are PS2 level as far as chaining strikes, dodge, roll, etc...which is fine...IF the timing was absolutely consistent. It's not, it's off and sometimes delayed and that's why even the best Elden Ring players lose to bosses they've beat thousands of times. To me that's not an increase in difficulty, it's just poor development making poor controls a reason for increased difficulty.

Seems like this is a pretty common complaint even from people who love the game.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:46 am
Snake wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 am I played Ninja Gaiden and didn't like that either. If a game is gonna be that difficult, I need a great story to make it worth it. to me.
Same here and there's almost no story.

If the fighting mechanics were better, I would have tried more, but they are PS2 level as far as chaining strikes, dodge, roll, etc...which is fine...IF the timing was absolutely consistent. It's not, it's off and sometimes delayed and that's why even the best Elden Ring players lose to bosses they've beat thousands of times. To me that's not an increase in difficulty, it's just poor development making poor controls a reason for increased difficulty.

Seems like this is a pretty common complaint even from people who love the game.
My favorite fighting system is the chains of chaos in God of War. I was monumentally disappointed at first to not see them in the last game, but audibly cheered when they showed up.