Horse Racing

Buc2

Horse Racing

Post by Buc2 »

Yet another black eye for the "sport" of horse racing.
Medina Spirit's 2021 Kentucky Derby win has been nullified and horse trainer Bob Baffert is suspended
By David Close, CNN
Updated 3:07 PM ET, Mon February 21, 2022

(CNN)The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission announced Monday that Medina Spirit's victory at the 2021 Kentucky Derby has been disqualified.

The horse failed a drug test after crossing the finish line first at the Derby.

Medina Spirit died in December. The thoroughbred was finishing a workout when he collapsed near the finish line at the Santa Anita Park racetrack.

The KHRC also announced a 90-day suspension for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, who trained Medina Spirit, and fined him $7,500. Baffert said he plans to appeal the decision.

"I am very disappointed in the ruling," Baffert said in a statement provided by his spokesperson to CNN. "It runs contrary to the scientifically proven facts in this case and the rules of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission. We will be filing an immediate appeal."

The commission said the winner's purse of $1.86 million must be returned.

Churchill Downs, where the famed race takes place, said Mandaloun is now the winner of the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby.

"Today Churchill Downs recognizes Mandaloun as the winner of the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby and extends our congratulations to owner/breeder Juddmonte, trainer Brad Cox and jockey Florent Geroux," Churchill Downs said in a statement Monday.

"Winning the Kentucky Derby is one of the most exciting achievements in sports and we look forward to celebrating Mandaloun on a future date in a way that is fitting of this rare distinction."
Don't tread on me
Crocaneers

Re: Horse Racing

Post by Crocaneers »

If we never had another race again, I would be all for it.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Since the tickets are already cashed, no one gives one single shit who they declare the winner to be.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I know we're all pretty hard on horse racing, but I have to admit that this Kentucky Derby was pretty damned amazing. At 80-1, Rich Strike comes from the back of the pack to win. Longest odds since 1913 when 91-1 Donerail won.

Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:56 pm I know we're all pretty hard on horse racing, but I have to admit that this Kentucky Derby was pretty damned amazing. At 80-1, Rich Strike comes from the back of the pack to win. Longest odds since 1913 when 91-1 Donerail won.

Watching how he came from nowhere was pretty damn awesome. 80-1 odds? Sheesh!
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

This video shows the overhead video which makes that run look even more impressive. It's like that horse had a whole other gear.

Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:27 pm This video shows the overhead video which makes that run look even more impressive. It's like that horse had a whole other gear.

That view is incredible. I've always thought horseracing was a bit of a crap shoot, because you just get blocked by everyone in front of you, but he hit the superchargers and just started weaving through. Amazing.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kress wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:21 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:27 pm This video shows the overhead video which makes that run look even more impressive. It's like that horse had a whole other gear.

That view is incredible. I've always thought horseracing was a bit of a crap shoot, because you just get blocked by everyone in front of you, but he hit the superchargers and just started weaving through. Amazing.
That view gives you appreciation for the jockey’s vision and ability to weave through traffic. It’s like seeing an awesome breakout run on All 22.