2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Jonny

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:57 pm
Jonny wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:30 pm

We don't have to worry about this. I have been given assurance from a collection of optimists and realists that Bowles is a very good head coach. Good head coaches have their healthy team trounce on a team on a downward spiral like Philly. Prophets have spoken and I am going to abide by their wise words. Meanwhile, stop being a hater!!1!
Where will they move the goalposts to next?

Find out, on the next episode!
No moving goalposts on my part. Bowles deserves to come back. Not because it is unfair to fire him, but because this game tilts the scales significantly in his favor as a coach that overcame hurdles and had his team prepared with an excellent/aggressive as hell game plan on both sides.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Also no matter what happens the next game, you will not see me revisit Bowles.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I agree. After this win, I think Bowles is back 100%, and every win that stacks makes it more likely we keep LVD/Evans/AWJ/Baker.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

JL brought back the whole SB squad. If these guys want to play together next year they will be. I agree, every win helps.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:59 pm I agree. After this win, I think Bowles is back 100%, and every win that stacks makes it more likely we keep LVD/Evans/AWJ/Baker.

Agreed and we should be glad the market for a head coach is so deep this year. Someone might want to roll the dice on Canales.

I wonder what are the odds on Raheem landing a job this year? He's most likely just getting Rooney rule interviews right now but I think he is a guy who gets another shot. He clearly wasn't ready here.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Terry Tate wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:51 am
Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:59 pm I agree. After this win, I think Bowles is back 100%, and every win that stacks makes it more likely we keep LVD/Evans/AWJ/Baker.

Agreed and we should be glad the market for a head coach is so deep this year. Someone might want to roll the dice on Canales.

I wonder what are the odds on Raheem landing a job this year? He's most likely just getting Rooney rule interviews right now but I think he is a guy who gets another shot. He clearly wasn't ready here.
I would really love to see Raheem succeed in his second shot at HC. As long as it isn’t in Atlanta or Carolina.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Jim gets his jollies off more on being coveted than he does winning.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:56 pm
CannonFire wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:39 am

Rooney Rule candidate. The guy was in charge of an underachieving high powered offense from just the year before. There's no way anyone thinks he's a serious candidate. Odds are, if the Bucs win tomorrow night, he'll be fired anyway. They won't need to ask for permission.
#7 offense in the league is "underachieving"??

Doesn't bode well for 3/4 of OCs in this league.
LOL, you don't watch many Eagles games do you?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Sign Bowles to a 4 year deal. I think without cap constraints next year we will really see him do his master work. Sign Baker, try to get another edge Rusher in round 1.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:42 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:56 pm

#7 offense in the league is "underachieving"??

Doesn't bode well for 3/4 of OCs in this league.
You said having the #7 offense in football is underachieving. What does that say about other teams?
Most hated man in America.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:47 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:42 am

You said having the #7 offense in football is underachieving. What does that say about other teams?
Don't care what it says about the other teams. Their season on offense took a real turn for the worse after the bye. They went from averaging 28 ppg in the first 9 games (they were 8-1), to 21 in the last 9 (counting last night), and went 3-6. In those last 9 games, they scored OVER 21 points 3 times... once against the Giants (LOL), the Cardinals (LOL), and the OT game vs the Bills. They were 2-1 in those 3... they averaged under 16 ppg in the other 6, they were 1-5.

They played an easier schedule this year than last year, and the offense got worse... the easier it got. Play calling was terrible and predictable. Game planning was terrible. Last year, in the first half, the Eagles were the #1 scoring offense in the league... this year, 13th. They averaged 18.5 points in the first half last year and 11.7 this year. Scoring a TD less per game in the first half with an easier schedules does NOT look good. Second half scoring was up less than 2 points from last year, makes sense because last year they were just in cruise control while this year the games were closer.

This years offense was not as good as it should've been. There were many up here who thought Johnson should've had his play calling duties stripped. Whether those people are right or wrong, the Eagles offense definitely underachieved for the talent they have. It even could mainly be because that it was Johnson's first year calling plays. I don't doubt that... and even think that's more likely, but as I said, the optics are not as good as you think they are, while just looking at the box scores. I live up here, with Eagles fans, and watch their games. Their offense isn't that good. It's great against bad defenses, but outside of that, they're "meh". That was certainly not the case last year. They punched everyone in the face.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:45 am Sign Bowles to a 4 year deal. I think without cap constraints next year we will really see him do his master work. Sign Baker, try to get another edge Rusher in round 1.
They signed him to a 5 year deal in 2022. It would make sense to try to align Baker and Mike through 2026 as well. They all feel like a package deal. Basically, take your shot at a championship in this window. We believe in you.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bowles isn’t the greatest head coach and I’d be lying if I said I don’t think the team would have been better off with some other candidates last season and this with the talent on the team.

That being said, he’s clearly got the respect of the players on the team. That’s a helluva thing after the adversity the last two seasons.

Do like that he has seemed to be more willing to change things up second half of the season.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm Bowles isn’t the greatest head coach and I’d be lying if I said I don’t think the team would have been better off with some other candidates last season and this with the talent on the team.

That being said, he’s clearly got the respect of the players on the team. That’s a helluva thing after the adversity the last two seasons.

Do like that he has seemed to be more willing to change things up second half of the season.
Last night was definitely his best coaching performance yet. He had us ready to play like I've never seen this team. I said before the game it was a statement game...and boy, was it a statement. I still don't think his resume suggests he's a great head coach, but his resume does suggest he's 'growing" as a head coach and getting better. That was progression last night, something I've been waiting to see all year and it showed last night. I was nervous after the last two games where we looked pitiful that we were going backward again, but last night made up for that.

On the other side of the coin, if I'm Jeffrey Lurie, I fire Nick Sirianni today. If I'm an Eagles fan, I'm humiliated (but I share no pity for them). That reminded me of the Bucs' last game in the Raheem Morris era where the team just absolutely quit on their HC. Kudos to the Bucs for taking advantage who obviously played hard for their HC last night. I remember Hurts' look on the sideline one time when Goedert was screaming and it was that "I don't care" look. That last TD by Godwin, the defender didn't even try for the ball and then tried to take a cheap shot at him. I don't care how good they were last year and the first 11 games this year. When your team performs like that, it's a sign the coach has lost the team.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Barring a snag in negotiations or a future development (still have to get a signature), I’m expecting Bill Belichick to become the next head coach of the NFC South* Atlanta Falcons. His previous rapport with #Falcons CEO Rich McKay creates comfort he can’t mimic in any other building with a current vacancy. Owner Arthur Blank is very skilled at being convincing and selling the benefits of coming to Atlanta—as I learned from Calais Campbell. The GM dynamic in Atlanta is presumably more palatable for Bill in Flowery Branch than it would be in Philly, and as mentioned both sides have been talking about this through for a while; thus my previous reports. I expect Belichick to reunite with some members of his former staffs whenever he makes it official.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm Barring a snag in negotiations or a future development (still have to get a signature), I’m expecting Bill Belichick to become the next head coach of the NFC South* Atlanta Falcons. His previous rapport with #Falcons CEO Rich McKay creates comfort he can’t mimic in any other building with a current vacancy. Owner Arthur Blank is very skilled at being convincing and selling the benefits of coming to Atlanta—as I learned from Calais Campbell. The GM dynamic in Atlanta is presumably more palatable for Bill in Flowery Branch than it would be in Philly, and as mentioned both sides have been talking about this through for a while; thus my previous reports. I expect Belichick to reunite with some members of his former staffs whenever he makes it official.
After seeing how Belichick's teams have done since Brady left, not as upset about this as I would have been a couple of years ago. Been apparent for a while he's not great on the GM/talent evaluation side of things but also looking like the game might have passed him by at this point. Big question will be how well he works with Fontenot and who he brings in as OC.

Also, Belichick's inner circle has been saying he's mostly wanting to get the wins record at this point. Not sure that equates to the focus needed to win a SB.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:40 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm Barring a snag in negotiations or a future development (still have to get a signature), I’m expecting Bill Belichick to become the next head coach of the NFC South* Atlanta Falcons. His previous rapport with #Falcons CEO Rich McKay creates comfort he can’t mimic in any other building with a current vacancy. Owner Arthur Blank is very skilled at being convincing and selling the benefits of coming to Atlanta—as I learned from Calais Campbell. The GM dynamic in Atlanta is presumably more palatable for Bill in Flowery Branch than it would be in Philly, and as mentioned both sides have been talking about this through for a while; thus my previous reports. I expect Belichick to reunite with some members of his former staffs whenever he makes it official.
After seeing how Belichick's teams have done since Brady left, not as upset about this as I would have been a couple of years ago. Been apparent for a while he's not great on the GM/talent evaluation side of things but also looking like the game might have passed him by at this point. Big question will be how well he works with Fontenot and who he brings in as OC.

Also, Belichick's inner circle has been saying he's mostly wanting to get the wins record at this point. Not sure that equates to the focus needed to win a SB.
My thoughts exactly. I think no more/less of him than any other head coaching candidate based on the talen he's had in NE the last few seasons, and the talent he'll be inheriting in ATL, if he winds up there. Not scared one bit.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Looking like we will be playing against a BB coached team twice a year.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Backside wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm Looking like we will be playing against a BB coached team twice a year.
Maybe we can bring Brady in as a consultant when we have to prepare for those 2 games every year. :lol:
Don't tread on me
MRM

Post by MRM »

Word is Harbaugh to the Chargers is all but a done deal, but he's slow walking the process so there won't be a mess exodus from the Michigan roster. Once they get to a certain point soon, players won't be able to transfer until after spring practice. It may be quiet on that front for a bit longer.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MRM wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 pm Word is Harbaugh to the Chargers is all but a done deal, but he's slow walking the process so there won't be a mess exodus from the Michigan roster. Once they get to a certain point soon, players won't be able to transfer until after spring practice. It may be quiet on that front for a bit longer.
I thought I read that his buyout drops in the very near future. So waiting may save whoever is paying Michigan the buyout a few bucks.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MRM wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:37 pm Word is Harbaugh to the Chargers is all but a done deal, but he's slow walking the process so there won't be a mess exodus from the Michigan roster. Once they get to a certain point soon, players won't be able to transfer until after spring practice. It may be quiet on that front for a bit longer.
Harbaugh: I love these kids like they're my own, who has it better.....
Also Harbaugh: I'm gonna wait til they can't transfer, and then desert them so they can't leave the University.

cute.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So he's counting on his players, their parents and boosters not reading the news or social media like the rest of the world is?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:29 pm
Backside wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm Looking like we will be playing against a BB coached team twice a year.
Maybe we can bring Brady in as a consultant when we have to prepare for those 2 games every year. :lol:
Should bring Brady in just to mess with BBs' head. I still think BB is headed to the land of proving it was more Brady than BB.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

If Belichick hires a competent OC to manage Atlanta's offensive weapons, and works around building that defense, they could be quite good. Especially if the GM saves Bill from himself in regards to making bad personnel and draft moves.

Just saying.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 pm If Belichick hires a competent OC to manage Atlanta's offensive weapons, and works around building that defense, they could be quite good. Especially if the GM saves Bill from himself in regards to making bad personnel and draft moves.

Just saying.
If by competent OC, you mean Josh McDaniels then maybe.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I guess one optimistic view, besides his record post Brady, Bill has what 2, 3, maaaaaaybe 4 years left? Dude is in his 70s.

Even if he makes the Falcons better and a greater threat in the division, it’ll be short lived before they have another regime change.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Transfer portal opens for 30 days when a coach leaves, recently was done for Alabama players.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

haha oof
Former Cardinals’ HC Kliff Kingsbury, a senior offensive analyst and quarterbacks coach at USC, is expected to interview for the Chicago Bears’ offensive coordinator job, per sources. Kingsbury’s USC QB Caleb Williams is expected to receive strong consideration to become the Bears’ No. 1 overall pick.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 pm If Belichick hires a competent OC to manage Atlanta's offensive weapons, and works around building that defense, they could be quite good. Especially if the GM saves Bill from himself in regards to making bad personnel and draft moves.

Just saying.
This. Bill is still one of the 3 best defensive minds in football. He may still be one of the 3 best overall coaches.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Not liking the idea of BB to the Failcons at all.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm

Just saying.
This. Bill is still one of the 3 best defensive minds in football. He may still be one of the 3 best overall coaches.
BB's track record with coordinators (especially offensive ones) has not really been all that great. More you look at it, more it was Brady. None of them really had success elsewhere either as head coaches or coordinators. Not going to give him the benefit of the doubt there before seeing who they bring in (and who they take as a QB). Weis, O'Brien, Patricia, McDaniel, and Judge isn't exactly a murder's row of innovation. The ones that got to coach with Brady on the team had success, the rest not so much.

Not sure I'd put BB in the top three defensively or overall nowadays either. Defensively, I'd choose in no particular order Spagnuolo, MacDonald, Quinn, Glenn, Ryans and maybe Wilks over Belichick. Overall at this point I'd say Shanahan, Reid, Harbaugh and McVay would be definite choices before Belichick. Campbell possibly as well.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:07 pm Not liking the idea of BB to the Failcons at all.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He’s a good coach but he’s not the football god people made him out to be. I would be more concerned if they ended up with a good QB.