Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

BJJ34

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by BJJ34 »

Does anyone blame Godwin for not resigning given the QB situation? He’s seen Trask in practice.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:35 pm Does anyone blame Godwin for not resigning given the QB situation? He’s seen Trask in practice.
Ultimately, we don't know what motivates a man. Does he want every last dollar? Does he want to maximize his stats? Does he want to win another ring? We don't know. There are plenty of dudes in the league who make each of those their priority.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:35 pm Does anyone blame Godwin for not resigning given the QB situation? He’s seen Trask in practice.
That logic falls apart when you consider that Godwin didn't sign an extension last year either, when Tom frickin' Brady just got him a Superbowl ring.

Something is going on in the negotiation room that's fucky. It could be a compensation issue, in which case either Godwin is way overestimating his worth or the Bucs are underestimating it, and neither of those are good. Or maybe he just wants to play for someone else, who knows.

At least he's being a professional about it.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:56 pm
That logic falls apart when you consider that Godwin didn't sign an extension last year either, when Tom frickin' Brady just got him a Superbowl ring.

Something is going on in the negotiation room that's fucky. It could be a compensation issue, in which case either Godwin is way overestimating his worth or the Bucs are underestimating it, and neither of those are good. Or maybe he just wants to play for someone else, who knows.

At least he's being a professional about it.
The uncertainty of Brady’s tenure could have been a huge factor in him NOT signing the extension. Maybe Brady told him privately he was leaning to an earlier retirement.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:22 pm Oh noes, we paid Godwin $32M over two years! Boo hoo.

Wake up. That's a bargain. It really sucks he got hurt last year but there's a reason people around the league and not just on this board say he's better than Evans (not me), there's a reason our staff loves him (I do too), and a reason its so hard to sign him.

Yesterday's price ain't today's price.

Don't kid yourselves we're running an offense with two #1s. The market price for a #1 today is $25M/year. Adams will push for $30M. Mike Williams is at $20M. Only two WRs finished ahead of Godwin in catches per game, Kupp and Adams. Five WRs ahead of him in yards per game.
You. Are. Insane. One WR, ONE, makes 25/year. and nobody is going to pay any WR 30MM, or even close to it!
nybf

Post by nybf »

That's his MO. Every post the numbers change in his favor. Remember when the rams were going to score anyway because they started first and goal? Yeah, well that WR that we left wide open because it doesn't matter now makes $40 mil / yr.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:22 pm Oh noes, we paid Godwin $32M over two years! Boo hoo.

Wake up. That's a bargain. It really sucks he got hurt last year but there's a reason people around the league and not just on this board say he's better than Evans (not me), there's a reason our staff loves him (I do too), and a reason its so hard to sign him.

Don't kid yourselves we're running an offense with two #1s. The market price for a #1 today is $25M/year. Adams will push for $30M. Mike Williams is at $20M. Only two WRs finished ahead of Godwin in catches per game, Kupp and Adams. Five WRs ahead of him in yards per game.
$32M over two years AND he's still a FA next offseason. Rewind to the 2019/2020 offseason after Winston's last season and right before we signed Brady that March. It would've been way smarter to lock up Godwin with a 5-90 type deal at the time instead of finding ourselves in this current situation.

If the market price for a WR1 is $25M (which it's not), why did you follow that with Mike Williams getting $20M like it somehow validated something?

Godwin is a really good player and he's a great fit in the role Arians has him in. A role that Hines Ward and late stage Larry Fitz were also uber productive in.

But the reality is Godwin essentially never faces the opposing CB1 due to playing with Mike Evans and Evans being the true X WR (traditional WR1 in any offensive scheme). Furthermore due to Godwin always being in the slot and/or crashing down near the LoS he is mostly matched up with nickel CBs, LBs, or Safeties.

So the idea he's capable of being a WR1 in an offense and able to be productive as an X WR going against the opposing CB1 every game is completely theoretical.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The value was he knew he would get the ball in 2.5 seconds and Mike didnt. Couldnt
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:47 am The value was he knew he would get the ball in 2.5 seconds and Mike didnt.
Aaaaand mdb is officially back because I don't know what the hell this means.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:48 am
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:47 am The value was he knew he would get the ball in 2.5 seconds and Mike didnt.
mdb is a notorious Mike Evans hater. :D
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:56 am

It was an educational statement.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How do you write an educational statement?
General Guidelines
Make your Teaching Statement brief and well written. ...
Use narrative, first-person approach. ...
Be sincere and unique. ...
Make it specific rather than abstract. ...
Be discipline specific. ...
Avoid jargon and technical terms, as they can be off-putting to some readers. ...
Be humble. ...
Revise.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:56 am

Yea because he's a bum who only catches 57% of his passes :lol: :lol:
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:02 am How do you write an educational statement?
General Guidelines
Make your Teaching Statement brief and well written. ...
Use narrative, first-person approach. ...
Be sincere and unique. ...
Make it specific rather than abstract. ...
Be discipline specific. ...
Avoid jargon and technical terms, as they can be off-putting to some readers. ...
Be humble. ...
Revise.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Alright children, back to talking about what the internet tells you to talk about!
Snake

Post by Snake »

On that note, and a quick aside:

People used to bang on Mike Evans because he only would catch 55% of targets from JaMiss Winston.

With Brady? North of 63%. I think part of it is accuracy, I think part of it is schematic. Less spray-and-pray throwing the ball 40 yards downfield because we’re down two touchdowns from pick sixes.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 am On that note, and a quick aside:

People used to bang on Mike Evans because he only would catch 55% of targets from JaMiss Winston.

With Brady? North of 63%. I think part of it is accuracy, I think part of it is schematic. Less spray-and-pray throwing the ball 40 yards downfield because we’re down two touchdowns from pick sixes.
Unless it is 3rd and 1...then chuck it 40 yards YOLO #InsideBA'smind
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If you're a top 5 guy, heck a top 8 guy, and you hit the market, you're usually reseting the market. Min your top 3. Even if you're actually not a top 3 WR. That's just the way it works.

Teams know that the actual top 3, 5, whatever WRs aren't going to hit the market. But they have a shot at this guy to be their #1. Teams pay.

How the heck do you think we got here? WR making what use to be QB salaries. QBs making $50M.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Dread wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am

$32M over two years AND he's still a FA next offseason. Rewind to the 2019/2020 offseason after Winston's last season and right before
This is the key part for me.

We could have given him a contract heading into the 2020 season that paid him $32 Mil over the first 2 years and gave us another 3 years of low cap-hit team control. Or we could have done that before the 2021 season.

The only time tagging a guy twice in a row makes a lick of sense is if his contract demands are insane, and make the tag a value by comparison, or if he's nearing the end of his prime (such as with a running back) and you don't want to commit long-term.

Paying Godwin $32 mil guaranteed for two years and then have no control beyond that, with him in his age 26 season, is failure.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 am
Dread wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am
$32M over two years AND he's still a FA next offseason. Rewind to the 2019/2020 offseason after Winston's last season and right before

We could have given him a contract heading into the 2020 season that paid him $32 Mil over the first 2 years and gave us another 3 years of low cap-hit team control. Or we could have done that before the 2021 season.

The only time tagging a guy twice in a row makes a lick of sense is if his contract demands are insane, and make the tag a value by comparison, or if he's nearing the end of his prime (such as with a running back) and you don't want to commit long-term.

Paying Godwin $32 mil guaranteed for two years and then have no control beyond that, with him in his age 26 season, is failure.
What you described to a T is Mike Evans' contract extension back in 2018. It's exactly what we did. High guarantees paid out in the 1st 2 years ($38mil to be exact) followed by multiple years of lower cap hits. Sure we've restructured his deal a few times, but that's the added benefit of having a top player signed long term. You can move money around to pay others and keep him paid as well.
BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:40 am
MJW wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 am

What you described to a T is Mike Evans' contract extension back in 2018. It's exactly what we did. High guarantees paid out in the 1st 2 years ($38mil to be exact) followed by multiple years of lower cap hits. Sure we've restructured his deal a few times, but that's the added benefit of having a top player signed long term. You can move money around to pay others and keep him paid as well.
We are probably going to have to restructure Evans again as well.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Despite the reports saying otherwise maybe Godwin truly never wanted to re-sign with the Bucs.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:40 pm Despite the reports saying otherwise maybe Godwin truly never wanted to re-sign with the Bucs.
How DARE you?
Push the damned button already!
Snake

Post by Snake »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:40 pm Despite the reports saying otherwise maybe Godwin truly never wanted to re-sign with the Bucs.
Grew up in Delaware. Went to Penn State. Wife is from PA. Maybe he’s tired of the heat.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:16 pm
Grew up in Delaware. Went to Penn State. Wife is from PA. Maybe he’s tired of the heat.
He's also said he and his now wife love it down here. He has always described Evans as his brother. That he has a lot of friends on the team. The fact is Licht doesn't like to overpay anyone on our team. I am sure Licht is thinking about how long it will take for recovery. how long until he will get in football shape and back onto the field. How many games he will actually play.

My feeling with how I have seen him negotiate in the past is that he hedges his bets. He rarely gives more than 2 years fully guaranteed. He wants longer term contracts. He was probably unwilling to give a big signing specifically because of his injury and the fact he missed time 3 years in a row. Players now are looking for shorter contracts so they can get that pay raise sooner. They want more guaranteed. I think the basic philosophy of current star and Licht's old school approach is why he is on the tag a second year.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Shut your whore mouth.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Well, what can we infer from this situation? IMHO, it exists because:

a) for reasons unrelated to money, Chris Godwin no longer wants to be a Buccaneer.

This strike me as somewhat unlikely. There's never been any reason to think he was unhappy here. He's a great locker room guy, a community guy, he seems to love his teammates, and he's thrived in this offense.

b) Chris Godwin either wants so much extra money, and/or a contract structure so unacceptable, that Licht can't sign off on it.

c) The Buccaneers are trying to lowball him.

Obviously, OBP and Godwin would have very different definitions of those two choices. I'm sure Godwin feels he's asking for what's fair. I'm sure OBP feel they're offering him what's fair. So here we are.

I'm going to hit you with a white-hot take right now:

I would be exploring trading him away. For a few reasons.

1) After 2 straight years being tagged, it's kinda reasonable to ask of these two sides can work out a new contract NEXT time. And we can't tag him again. How much faith can either side have that a deal will get done after 24 months of trying and failing?

2) We'd clear that $19 mil right off the cap, which, if we do this quickly, means we can bring back Davis. Probably Jensen too. Not ideal, but not bad.

3) Even coming off an injury, I 100% believe that teams like the Dolphins, Lions, and Titans would jump at the chance to send us their late 1sts and change to get him.

So to sum up, there are potentially three routes here:

1) We get a one year rental of Chris Godwin, and it costs us a couple guys we want to keep, and we're still a bad team, and we lose him for nothing but a comp pick next year.

2) We do that but we actually re-sign him long term which....again...to paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, if that shit was going to happen, it would have happened already.

3) We trade him (or his rights, I guess) right now to, say, the Lions for the #32 pick and a 6. We use the $19 mil in savings to re-sign Davis and Jensen and we have plus draft capital.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trading him is the move.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Or we do shit like restructuring Vita and getting 7.64 million in cap space.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm thinking (really... "hope"), that the Bucs will give Godwin a long term deal, they just need time to get their ducks in order before they finalize the details.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a few teams still go after Godwin even with the tag. Teams like Miami, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit all make sense. All 4 of those teams have a big need for a WR and 3 of them have a pick at #25 and later where there's a 100% guarantee where they won't get a WR like Godwin. They'd basically would all be using their first round pick on a lock pro bowl WR. If they only have to pay an extra #1 in 2023 so be it. All 4 are likely to have a pick in the 20's next year as well because we all expect Miami, Buffalo, and LA to be playoff teams next year and the Browns have a shot. Why the Rams? Because the Lions have the Rams pick next year as well. The Lions can give the Bucs both of the Rams' 2022 and 2023 picks while keeping their own top tier picks.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:44 am
Well, what can we infer from this situation? IMHO, it exists because:

a) for reasons unrelated to money, Chris Godwin no longer wants to be a Buccaneer.

This strike me as somewhat unlikely. There's never been any reason to think he was unhappy here. He's a great locker room guy, a community guy, he seems to love his teammates, and he's thrived in this offense.

b) Chris Godwin either wants so much extra money, and/or a contract structure so unacceptable, that Licht can't sign off on it.

c) The Buccaneers are trying to lowball him.

Obviously, OBP and Godwin would have very different definitions of those two choices. I'm sure Godwin feels he's asking for what's fair. I'm sure OBP feel they're offering him what's fair. So here we are.

I'm going to hit you with a white-hot take right now:

I would be exploring trading him away. For a few reasons.

1) After 2 straight years being tagged, it's kinda reasonable to ask of these two sides can work out a new contract NEXT time. And we can't tag him again. How much faith can either side have that a deal will get done after 24 months of trying and failing?

2) We'd clear that $19 mil right off the cap, which, if we do this quickly, means we can bring back Davis. Probably Jensen too. Not ideal, but not bad.

3) Even coming off an injury, I 100% believe that teams like the Dolphins, Lions, and Titans would jump at the chance to send us their late 1sts and change to get him.

So to sum up, there are potentially three routes here:

1) We get a one year rental of Chris Godwin, and it costs us a couple guys we want to keep, and we're still a bad team, and we lose him for nothing but a comp pick next year.

2) We do that but we actually re-sign him long term which....again...to paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, if that shit was going to happen, it would have happened already.

3) We trade him (or his rights, I guess) right now to, say, the Lions for the #32 pick and a 6. We use the $19 mil in savings to re-sign Davis and Jensen and we have plus draft capital.
Much as it pains the fan in me to agree with you, this is a very logical move and one I could get behind. It boils down to which of the following options would you rather have:

Option A - Chris Godwin for a year.

Option B - Carlton Davis, either Alex Cappa or Ryan Jensen, and a late first-round rookie on a cheap deal

Gimme B all day.
Snake

Post by Snake »

There appears to be a # of good WRs in this draft. Licht has a good eye for WR…
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:38 pm There appears to be a # of good WRs in this draft. Licht has a good eye for WR…
Does he? It’s been 5 years since he last drafted a good one.