Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

Doctor

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Doctor »

Occam's razor, Godwin thinks he can get a huge $25M/yr deal in FA, because he probably can. JL would love to keep him but needs to do it as cheap as he can to be able to pay others too. That's his job.

Some people think "market value is whatever my personal formula is for determining how much money a player's stats are worth", but it doesn't work that way. Market value is about what the MARKET is willing to pay. Keep an eye out for what Allen Robinson gets. Then ask yourself not if Godwin is better by your opinion, but rather if you think there are GMs out there that would be #TeamGodwin. GMs who think this guy can be their Kupp. I think there are. Godwin and his agent likely do too.

I think the FT has been a HUGE discount on Godwin for what the market would be willing to pay him. I want to sign him to a long term deal. I do. But I can't blame the dude for wanting "fair market value" nor Licht for tagging him back to back.

I'm also on board with trading him. It's why I wanted the non exclusive tag. Let him go out and see what he can negotiate and maybe it helps us maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't we get a nice return.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:59 pm Occam's razor, Godwin thinks he can get a huge $25M/yr deal in FA, because he probably can. JL would love to keep him but needs to do it as cheap as he can to be able to pay others too. That's his job.

Some people think "market value is whatever my personal formula is for determining how much money a player's stats are worth", but it doesn't work that way. Market value is about what the MARKET is willing to pay. Keep an eye out for what Allen Robinson gets. Then ask yourself not if Godwin is better by your opinion, but rather if you think there are GMs out there that would be #TeamGodwin. GMs who think this guy can be their Kupp. I think there are. Godwin and his agent likely do too.

I think the FT has been a HUGE discount on Godwin for what the market would be willing to pay him. I want to sign him to a long term deal. I do. But I can't blame the dude for wanting "fair market value" nor Licht for tagging him back to back.

I'm also on board with trading him. It's why I wanted the non exclusive tag. Let him go out and see what he can negotiate and maybe it helps us maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't we get a nice return.
We get it, but only you think market value is 25/year. Robinson probably only gets half of that
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:29 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:44 am

Well, what can we infer from this situation? IMHO, it exists because:

a) for reasons unrelated to money, Chris Godwin no longer wants to be a Buccaneer.

This strike me as somewhat unlikely. There's never been any reason to think he was unhappy here. He's a great locker room guy, a community guy, he seems to love his teammates, and he's thrived in this offense.

b) Chris Godwin either wants so much extra money, and/or a contract structure so unacceptable, that Licht can't sign off on it.

c) The Buccaneers are trying to lowball him.

Obviously, OBP and Godwin would have very different definitions of those two choices. I'm sure Godwin feels he's asking for what's fair. I'm sure OBP feel they're offering him what's fair. So here we are.

I'm going to hit you with a white-hot take right now:

I would be exploring trading him away. For a few reasons.

1) After 2 straight years being tagged, it's kinda reasonable to ask of these two sides can work out a new contract NEXT time. And we can't tag him again. How much faith can either side have that a deal will get done after 24 months of trying and failing?

2) We'd clear that $19 mil right off the cap, which, if we do this quickly, means we can bring back Davis. Probably Jensen too. Not ideal, but not bad.

3) Even coming off an injury, I 100% believe that teams like the Dolphins, Lions, and Titans would jump at the chance to send us their late 1sts and change to get him.

So to sum up, there are potentially three routes here:

1) We get a one year rental of Chris Godwin, and it costs us a couple guys we want to keep, and we're still a bad team, and we lose him for nothing but a comp pick next year.

2) We do that but we actually re-sign him long term which....again...to paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, if that shit was going to happen, it would have happened already.

3) We trade him (or his rights, I guess) right now to, say, the Lions for the #32 pick and a 6. We use the $19 mil in savings to re-sign Davis and Jensen and we have plus draft capital.
Much as it pains the fan in me to agree with you, this is a very logical move and one I could get behind. It boils down to which of the following options would you rather have:

Option A - Chris Godwin for a year.

Option B - Carlton Davis, either Alex Cappa or Ryan Jensen, and a late first-round rookie on a cheap deal

Gimme B all day.
I could be wrong. Maybe we do work out a long term deal with him in the next 12 months. But again, we've had two years and we couldn't do it. Either we undervalue him or he overvalues himself. Besides, isn't it the most Bucs thing ever? Miss out on bringing back key free agents to tag one guy, then having that guy walk after the year?

Yeah, I'd be shopping him. Off the injury, I'd be looking for a late first or early second, plus maybe the 6th we're missing. Clear that $19 mil, sign CD at the 11th hour, etc. We can say whatever we want, but letting a top ten corner walk out the door at age 25 with no compensation is a goddamn disaster. I can count on one hand the number of times a corner as good and young as Davis has hit the open market.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:40 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:59 pm Occam's razor, Godwin thinks he can get a huge $25M/yr deal in FA, because he probably can. JL would love to keep him but needs to do it as cheap as he can to be able to pay others too. That's his job.

We get it, but only you think market value is 25/year. Robinson probably only gets half of that
Robinson is only going to get Gallup money? Okay...

The Franchise Tag had done a great job suppressing WR values the last couple of years, particularly Adams, ARob, and Godwin, but the bill is coming due.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:52 pm Thought they’d use the tag on Davis. Doesn’t make much sense to tag Godwin again from any perspective.
Looking more likely than not that Davis will be signed by another team in 10 days.
I have a little dick!
Last edited by nybf on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Привет из России
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:34 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm

Looking more likely than not that Davis will be signed by another team in 10 days.
I have a little dick!
Was @nybf hacked by a russian?
nybf

Post by nybf »

The mods think they're funny.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 am
acmillis wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:40 pm
Robinson is only going to get Gallup money? Okay...

The Franchise Tag had done a great job suppressing WR values the last couple of years, particularly Adams, ARob, and Godwin, but the bill is coming due.
Christian Kirk screwed up the numbers already. Now, it's not as bad as it looks. The REAL contract is a two year deal worth about $35 mil if I'm reading it right. But still, it's a ton of money for a nice #3 receiver.

The Zay Jones deal is batcrap too. Zay Jones is awful. Bad hands, makes all his plays at or behind the LOS, not particularly dangerous or explosive, shit route runner. I wouldn't even give him a camp invite in Tampa. But both of these deals came from the Jaguars, who are deciding to be this year's "We have money so let's sign a bunch of guys to shit contracts and then cut them in a year" team.

Robinson will be an interesting case because he was so invisible for the Bears last year (single game highs - 6 catches and 68 yards.) Will GMs write that off to Bears disfunction and pay him based off 2020, when he went 80-1400-14?
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

👀
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:06 am👀
736D1FF1-DF21-42A4-BA87-5DB632D37C7E.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I think Christian Kirk's contract just set Godwin's market at 5 for $125M. I think they need to let him walk after the season. I'd be ok with taking a WR at #27 to replace him. It really sucks, but I just can't rationalize $25M AAV for a WR.
MJW

Post by MJW »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:53 pm I think Christian Kirk's contract just set Godwin's market at 5 for $125M. I think they need to let him walk after the season. I'd be ok with taking a WR at #27 to replace him. It really sucks, but I just can't rationalize $25M AAV for a WR.
I think we may see one of those rare instances where agents acknowledge an outlier contract without too much of a fight. Otherwise no deals are going to get done. If Christian Kirk is really worth $21 mil for these purposes, Davante Adams is worth $30 mil, and that's not happening right now.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Tom Brady: You traded Godwin? I retire again. Bye.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It doesn’t mean the Bucs will TRADE him, it’s just a speculation..

In Licht we trust
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:21 pm It doesn’t mean the Bucs will TRADE him, it’s just a speculation..

In Licht we trust
Like clockwork, there's a new false narrative this board drives up at the start of another season. This year, it's this false narrative that the NFL salary cap isn't real and teams can keep any and everyone they like.

Greg wasn't even suggesting that Godwin was a trade piece but he's not stupid enough to believe all options won't be explored.

Additionally if the narrative NOW is that Brady needs Chris Godwin or he's out, then why would you call him the GOAT to begin with. I believe Brady ideally wants Godwin on this team but not for 1 second do I believe he wouldn't be successful without him. I seem to remember him winning 6 Super Bowls without Chris Godwin.

Back to Godwin, we have a ton of resources devoted to the WR position. Do I believe he'll be traded? No. But do I believe this is a discussion that's happening within the walls at OBP? Absolutely.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Greg also stated that wasn't sourced, just something he postulated...also added that no one has come out and outright rejected it.

There's a chance that Evans, Shaq, or Smith won't restructure and we would be forced to cut or trade someone. Many players refuse restructures, even if it's the same money or even guaranteeing more money. I think Tyreek Hill has rejected it twice.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:48 pm Greg also stated that wasn't sourced, just something he postulated...also added that no one has come out and outright rejected it.

There's a chance that Evans, Shaq, or Smith won't restructure and we would be forced to cut or trade someone. Many players refuse restructures, even if it's the same money or even guaranteeing more money. I think Tyreek Hill has rejected it twice.
Probably do so for tax purposes. Especially if you play in a state with state taxes vs a state without. Players are taxed weekly depending on the state the game is played in.

Ultimately all options have to be on the table to get in a good enough position to round out the roster.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:55 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:48 pm Greg also stated that wasn't sourced, just something he postulated...also added that no one has come out and outright rejected it.

Probably do so for tax purposes. Especially if you play in a state with state taxes vs a state without. Players are taxed weekly depending on the state the game is played in.
Maybe.

I know we can basically get under the cap by just restructuring Smith and Shaq, but again...we can free up as much as 60 million with restructures...We'll find out in less than an hour. Some think we may cut Brate, too.
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

Auman spends all day on Twitter going through every possible tweet that would make you go hmm.

He entertains some dumb fans when he isn't putting actual news out.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

whistlepig777 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:01 pm Auman spends all day on Twitter going through every possible tweet that would make you go hmm.

It's what probably 99% of beat writers do. I think the only dumb ones are the ones who completely dismiss his subjective POV or take it as gospel truth.

What I can appreciate is he doesn't try to influence people's thinking and makes it very clear that for the most part it's an option of what could happen. Not like Stroud, who will report something as if he has an inside scoop.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

No way they trade Godwin. They are hoping to sign him to a Mike Evans type deal with a low base salary this season. That will give them some cap relief. Also, certain individuals will be asked to take pay cuts or get the ultimate cut.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:55 pm

Maybe.

I know we can basically get under the cap by just restructuring Smith and Shaq, but again...we can free up as much as 60 million with restructures...We'll find out in less than an hour. Some think we may cut Brate, too.
The re-structures don't need to be done prior to the deadline...with the exception of those needed to get under the cap for existing contracts. Deals agreed to may not be signed for days after todays deadline and it is only then that the re-structure of some will need to be done.
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:06 pm
whistlepig777 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:01 pm Auman spends all day on Twitter going through every possible tweet that would make you go hmm.

It's what probably 99% of beat writers do. I think the only dumb ones are the ones who completely dismiss his subjective POV or take it as gospel truth.

What I can appreciate is he doesn't try to influence people's thinking and makes it very clear that for the most part it's an option of what could happen. Not like Stroud, who will report something as if he has an inside scoop.
I follow him myself. He's not unreliable, but people run off with every speculative tweet no matter how much he says it's speculation.

Reading comprehension is hard for a lot of people. Especially on Twitter
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:06 pm

There's nothing dumb about understanding that Tom Brady would not have returned to this team without assurance Chris Godwin would be on it. It's asinine to suggest otherwise.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:59 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:53 pm I think Christian Kirk's contract just set Godwin's market at 5 for $125M. I think they need to let him walk after the season. I'd be ok with taking a WR at #27 to replace him. It really sucks, but I just can't rationalize $25M AAV for a WR.
I think we may see one of those rare instances where agents acknowledge an outlier contract without too much of a fight. Otherwise no deals are going to get done. If Christian Kirk is really worth $21 mil for these purposes, Davante Adams is worth $30 mil, and that's not happening right now.
This will be an issue for next year, not this year.
Ironworker808

Post by Ironworker808 »

Three years,
60million.

EDIT: 40 mill guaranteed.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

He'll be 28 when this deal is up. Wow! We did not get off cheap.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Nice, almost Christian Kirk money!

Happy to see him here long term.
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

And with that fat ass contract, Chris Godwin will take what he learned from Evans and restructure that into one fat paycheck at the start of every season for years and years.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 pm Nice, almost Christian Kirk money!

Happy to see him here long term.
He got more per year and more guaranteed in 3 years than Kirk got in 4.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I do think Chris wants to play somewhere else at some point. Which is totally fine. But the $ is the $, and we will end up with all his prime seasons at this rate.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

whistlepig777 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm And with that fat ass contract, Chris Godwin will take what he learned from Evans and restructure that into one fat paycheck at the start of every season for years and years.
Evans should take what he's learned from Godwin here and get as much as you can and wait out the market.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Just as long as neither are taking what they learned from AB
Snake

Post by Snake »

$40m is a lot of dog food