Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

Swashbuckler

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Swashbuckler »

Redrum wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:32 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 pm Brady
Evans
Godwin
Gage
Gronk
1st round WR
2nd round RB
3rd round iOL

I think we should get a better swing tackle in the event Wirfs or Smith miss an extended period of time. I'm all for overkill on offense.
Not to shit on the most beautiful parade we've had since the Lombardi was tossed down Channelside, but we just lost the best guard we've had in years. Shaq Mason was a HUGE acquisition. Good. Now get more linemen. We NEED to do this

All the talent in the world on offense means nothing unless the big nasty bastards are blocking for Brady or the RB

Defensive line too. MOAR gladiators
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:56 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:59 pm
Yes. $25M is the new going rate for a #1 WR.
A great #2 is $20M easy.

So yeah, it just depends on how you see Godwin. With no injury, I have no doubt someone see's him as a #1.
Ironworker808 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:42 pm Three years,
60million.

EDIT: 40 mill guaranteed.
I guess the Bucs and Godwin himself feel he is a #2.
Not really, we used the tag and put pressure on Godwin, he split the difference. A smart and common choice.

1. He gets the goat for at least 1/3 of it, maybe 2/3 of it, maybe all of it.

2. He is already tagged for this year. He shallows getting 80% of the current $25M market value for a 2nd and 3rd year, he can lock up a fat guarantee today protecting him against a down year or reinjuring.

3. He gets to hit the market again in his prime for that "super max" FA contract.

4. He reworks his cap hit to help the team be in better cap shape, sign better players, help get him more rings.

Overall a great win win deal for all sides and another home run by Licht.

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:44 am Why do people act like giving Godwin $19M is breaking the cap? Also, wtf you think he's making in the open market? If not for his injury I would've expected him to be pushing $25M/yr easy. Getting him at 19 is a bargain.

Also it gives us a ton of leverage in further negotiations. We can extend him further on a tag and OBP would have the leverage. Godwin knows he's hurt, he could come in and have a down year and be looking at "prove it" deals next year anyway. Worst still if he gets hurt again. When faced with that or an even moderately reasonable extension, it's not hard to see where the pressure will be.
Very much a reasonable extension that put enough pressure.

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:32 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:40 pm

How is that more likely? We can only negotiate with him until July 15. If we tag him a third time he will get 27.62 million on the third tag. That good money. If we did tag him a third time, he will never re-sign with us. Please explain how this will coerce him. It did nothing to coerce Kirk Cousins.
Coerce is an interesting word choice.

Cousins took the gamble and won. Great for him. Doesn't stop making it a gamble.

The onus is on him now. If he wants to cash in now we're his only option, if not he has to risk it all in another year. He isn't going to sit it out. Which means he's at risk of going out there and getting hurt again or playing but having a down year.
We've just become his only ticket for cashing in big, for sure, today.
He cashed in. And will again. Smart moves.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I hope Chris retires after this contract with some of his brain still intact. A trend I’d like to see established for guys who get really rich before 30 in the league.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Doctor I literally could have posted a string of a dozen emails where you said he was pushing for 25 million minimum and 20 flat is "splitting the difference" but please double down on you 12 to 15 shitty takes on why we couldn't get a deal done.

The truth is he he believed he was worth 25 mill. He wouldn't have taken a 20% paycut over 3 years. I pushed you on this more than once you pounded your chest multiple times. Just take the loss.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:46 am
kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:56 pm

I guess the Bucs and Godwin himself feel he is a #2.
Not really, we used the tag and put pressure on Godwin, he split the difference. A smart and common choice.

1. He gets the goat for at least 1/3 of it, maybe 2/3 of it, maybe all of it.

2. He is already tagged for this year. He shallows getting 80% of the current $25M market value for a 2nd and 3rd year, he can lock up a fat guarantee today protecting him against a down year or reinjuring.

3. He gets to hit the market again in his prime for that "super max" FA contract.

4. He reworks his cap hit to help the team be in better cap shape, sign better players, help get him more rings.

Overall a great win win deal for all sides and another home run by Licht.

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:44 am Why do people act like giving Godwin $19M is breaking the cap? Also, wtf you think he's making in the open market? If not for his injury I would've expected him to be pushing $25M/yr easy. Getting him at 19 is a bargain.

Also it gives us a ton of leverage in further negotiations. We can extend him further on a tag and OBP would have the leverage. Godwin knows he's hurt, he could come in and have a down year and be looking at "prove it" deals next year anyway. Worst still if he gets hurt again. When faced with that or an even moderately reasonable extension, it's not hard to see where the pressure will be.
Very much a reasonable extension that put enough pressure.

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:32 pm
Coerce is an interesting word choice.

Cousins took the gamble and won. Great for him. Doesn't stop making it a gamble.

The onus is on him now. If he wants to cash in now we're his only option, if not he has to risk it all in another year. He isn't going to sit it out. Which means he's at risk of going out there and getting hurt again or playing but having a down year.
We've just become his only ticket for cashing in big, for sure, today.
He cashed in. And will again. Smart moves.
That’s some BIG mental gymnastics right there. You said market value was 25/year. You were wrong, no need to try and justify your wrongness.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 pm Nice, almost Christian Kirk money!

Happy to see him here long term.
He got more per year and more guaranteed in 3 years than Kirk got in 4.
3/60 > 4/84?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:20 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm

He got more per year and more guaranteed in 3 years than Kirk got in 4.
3/60 > 4/84?
3/60 > 4/72.

Anymore questions?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Yeah, where did the other 12 go?
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:38 am Yeah, where did the other 12 go?
Can I have it?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

You should know that since you're so smart ;)
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

Loving the embedding here.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:02 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:57 pm Things have certainly changed. Dead money used to be viewed as the real Satan.
It's amazing that this use to be a franchise that prided itself on having as minimal dead cap money or singing bonuses as possible.

Now we basically hand out both for every contract signed.
It's evidence of what I've said about the "two states" a franchise should be in.

You're either legitimately a threat to win the Superbowl.

Or

You're doing everything possible to join that first group as soon as possible in the future.

When you're in the non-contender group, you should do exactly what Licht did. Avoid potential dead money like the plague. Do nothing to tie up future cap space in a few years when we might need it.

When you're in the second group, as we are now, you don't worry too much about kicking the cap can down the road. Which Licht doesn't.

IMHO, he handled both of these situations well (besides a few missteps.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:02 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:57 pm Things have certainly changed. Dead money used to be viewed as the real Satan.
It's amazing that this use to be a franchise that prided itself on having as minimal dead cap money or singing bonuses as possible.

Now we basically hand out both for every contract signed.
And, interestingly enough, they also started winning when they threw that strategy out the window. Yes, we all know the piper gets paid eventually (you're no guru here), but even that can be handled without diving into the dumpster for years (see NE Patriots). That's why people like me, @uscbucsfan, and @Dread get such a kick out of the hand-wringers when they start moaning about the cap situation.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

whistlepig777 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:40 am
Can I have it?
Ask boots. 52 mil is the same as 30, so giving out 12 should be no big deal.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am
whistlepig777 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:40 am
Can I have it?
So this is where you also tell me how 72 & 84 are the same as well huh?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:08 am But...but...but.... BootziszGottaJabooGrownish told us all that Godwin was getting traded to free up cap space.

So confused since she is the best capaologist not in the NFL?

Weird.
He did? Show me.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 am
nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am

No, I'm actually asking why that guy says 72 when all the other reports say 84.

But if that's the route you want to go, 72 is a whole lot closer to 84 than 30 is to 52 no matter how you look at it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:15 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 am

No, I'm actually asking why that guy says 72 when all the other reports say 84.

But if that's the route you want to go, 72 is a whole lot closer to 84 than 30 is to 52 no matter how you look at it.
I never made any definite claims about Miller's deal being 2/30 though. You made a definite claim about the 4/84, going off of reports instead of the actual deal.

And that guy says 72 because that's the number.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Let me course-correct here after years of dissatisfaction with Licht. After this ridiculously well-played Free Agency period, I'm officially pro Licht.

I've loved a lot of Licht's moves over the years (particularly the moves/acquisitions of Mankins, Marpet, Godwin, Vea + trade, Davis, LVD extension, Evans extension, Wirfs, Winfield, Barrett, JPP, Brady, and several UFA moves), but the Winston pick that set the franchise back 5 years + overall FA misses (both who we invested in and who we passed on) + drafting through 2017 left me ill. Then came Jones, Stewart, White, SMB, Vaughn, and last year's 2nd and onward draft class. Then there is the status of Special Teams (which is a byproduct of poor late drafting or UFA moves). Despite a crazy amount of draft capital and FA capital compared to the rest of the league, we still sucked out loud.

However, the trajectory has been upwards since 2018 culminating. On top of that, in the history of the NFL, I'm not sure I've seen a victory snatched away from the jaws of defeat by a front office like this. The Shaq Mason trade, the Godwin Tag and extension, the CD3 contract, Brady returning (yes, this is Brady re-upping, but confidence in Licht to reassemble a team around him...and make no mistake, there was a shit-ton of work to do to get that done), Jensen resigning (I would have been against this if Brady wasn't coming back...keep Cappa if no Brady...but with Brady, its Jensen all day long), the Gage signing. Just absolutely brilliant stuff.

So yeah.

Given the trend-line and this unprecedented FA period by Licht et al, the resume speaks for itself. While I'm sure I'll be annoyed about this or that pick in this coming draft, the guy deserves full-throated support. He's up there with the best of the best in the NFL. Neck and neck for top dog at this point.
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:19 am
I never made any definite claims about Miller's deal being 2/30 though.
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:30 pm
It's also probably something like 2yrd/$30mil with a lot of fluff.
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:39 pm Yup.

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Theme song for this latest nybf/bootzy feud...

Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

When the basis for post whoring is arguing all sides to cover all your bases, yeah

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:23 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:19 am
I never made any definite claims about Miller's deal being 2/30 though.
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:30 pm
It's also probably something like 2yrd/$30mil with a lot of fluff.
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:39 pm Yup.

Yea again you were the only one who took an arbitrary figure to heart. Nuance is completely lost on you. No surprises there.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

whistlepig777 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 am
The lack of capitalization in that post is driving me fucking nuts. Like why even capitalize "I" if you're not going to capitalize anything else? Fucking millennial basic white bitches.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The Outsider wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:40 am
whistlepig777 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 am
The lack of capitalization in that post is driving me fucking nuts. Like why even capitalize "I" if you're not going to capitalize anything else? Fucking millennial basic white bitches.
The random punctuation dumps, especially around the ampersands, caught my eye.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:07 am @Doctor I literally could have posted a string of a dozen emails where you said he was pushing for 25 million minimum and 20 flat is "splitting the difference" but please double down on you 12 to 15 shitty takes on why we couldn't get a deal done.

The truth is he he believed he was worth 25 mill. He wouldn't have taken a 20% paycut over 3 years. I pushed you on this more than once you pounded your chest multiple times. Just take the loss.
I mean if you really need some internet message board win for validation, have at it. It's yours. But it isn't a 20% cut over 3 years- just 2. He was locked into the discounted rate in year 1 via the franchise tag.
acmillis wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:12 am
That’s some BIG mental gymnastics right there. You said market value was 25/year. You were wrong, no need to try and justify your wrongness.
I don't think you understand how a market (or tag) works. If he was on the market right now he'd totally be pushing for his market value, ~$25M, just as Adams would be pushing for $30M.

But he is not on the market. So he needs to settle. He can settle for two options
1) One year, $19M and maybe be on the market next year and cash in full
2) Three year, $60M, and maybe hit the market again when in your prime to cash in

Godwin getting his true market contract of say 4 year $100M was NEVER going to happen this year because.... WE TAGGED HIM TO KEEP HIM OFF THE MARKET! If we were going to offer and pay him that kind of contract we would've done so before the tag. Do you think the FO just offered this 3/$60M deal for the first time this week? Of course not. That offer has been sitting on Godwin's desk for weeks.

The only thing that changed recently was Godwin's chances of hitting the market dropping to 0% once he got officially tagged. That's the only change, and with it Godwin's options change and he had to weigh them accordingly. He knows exactly how risky playing out the tag and trying to hit that money market is... he just lived it in 2021 and got hurt.

Those saying we paid a whole lot are kidding themselves. We got a freaking bargain because we were able to leverage the Franchise Tag- the thing the NFLPA and players hate for this exact reason. There are articles written outlining this (and why the FT is awful) every year. This was a textbook case.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Nobody wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:21 am Let me course-correct here after years of dissatisfaction with Licht. After this ridiculously well-played Free Agency period, I'm officially pro Licht.

I've loved a lot of Licht's moves over the years (particularly the moves/acquisitions of Mankins, Marpet, Godwin, Vea + trade, Davis, LVD extension, Evans extension, Wirfs, Winfield, Barrett, JPP, Brady, and several UFA moves), but the Winston pick that set the franchise back 5 years + overall FA misses (both who we invested in and who we passed on) + drafting through 2017 left me ill. Then came Jones, Stewart, White, SMB, Vaughn, and last year's 2nd and onward draft class. Then there is the status of Special Teams (which is a byproduct of poor late drafting or UFA moves). Despite a crazy amount of draft capital and FA capital compared to the rest of the league, we still sucked out loud.

However, the trajectory has been upwards since 2018 culminating. On top of that, in the history of the NFL, I'm not sure I've seen a victory snatched away from the jaws of defeat by a front office like this. The Shaq Mason trade, the Godwin Tag and extension, the CD3 contract, Brady returning (yes, this is Brady re-upping, but confidence in Licht to reassemble a team around him...and make no mistake, there was a shit-ton of work to do to get that done), Jensen resigning (I would have been against this if Brady wasn't coming back...keep Cappa if no Brady...but with Brady, its Jensen all day long), the Gage signing. Just absolutely brilliant stuff.

So yeah.

Given the trend-line and this unprecedented FA period by Licht et al, the resume speaks for itself. While I'm sure I'll be annoyed about this or that pick in this coming draft, the guy deserves full-throated support. He's up there with the best of the best in the NFL. Neck and neck for top dog at this point.
You look at the hits/misses in comparison to other franchises and GM's around the league. He's been astounding. He took some outside the box chances on some guys that didn't work out, but he's more than made up for them with the other moves you mentioned. He'll always be able to say he built the roster Tom Brady wanted to come to.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:11 am
Nobody wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:21 am Let me course-correct here after years of dissatisfaction with Licht. After this ridiculously well-played Free Agency period, I'm officially pro Licht.

So yeah.

You look at the hits/misses in comparison to other franchises and GM's around the league. He's been astounding. He took some outside the box chances on some guys that didn't work out, but he's more than made up for them with the other moves you mentioned. He'll always be able to say he built the roster Tom Brady wanted to come to.
I likened his early miscues to being a first-time GM. Fortunately for us, the Glazers gave him time to learn and grow into the position when many were calling for his head.
Don't tread on me
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:19 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:11 am

I likened his early miscues to being a first-time GM. Fortunately for us, the Glazers gave him time to learn and grow into the position when many were calling for his head.
I mean, also sometimes when your team is as bad as we were you just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. I agree that the Glazers did a great job in not getting trigger happy after some early blunders, though. All around competence from our franchise, never thought I'd see that.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No GM bats 1.000. Not even Licht, not even now. I bet if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have been so committed to "bringing the band back together". It didn't work out. We have about $12mil in dead cap space attributed to 2 players we might re-sign anyway, which is going to balloon their cap #s. It becomes more difficult to keep good players. Think he wouldn't have wanted to keep Whitehead or Cappa? We barely have room now and have at minimum 6 starters to replace or re-sign still.

No it's not perfect. But overall he's doing a great job.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hearing "no GM bats 1.000" from Captain Ideal Hindsight himself...
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

At this point I will argue that Licht is the best in the league.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:53 pm At this point I will argue that Licht is the best in the league.
Having the best player of all time helps everything make sense. Having a good enough team in place to entice said player to sign there reflects well on the GM, to be sure.

Only 3 teams being interested in TB12 when he hit UFA is the part that’s hard to believe.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 pm
Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:53 pm At this point I will argue that Licht is the best in the league.
Having the best player of all time helps everything make sense. Having a good enough team in place to entice said player to sign there reflects well on the GM, to be sure.

Only 3 teams being interested in TB12 when he hit UFA is the part that’s hard to believe.
I think the job he has done rebuilding this team in the past week is equal to the job he did building it in the first place. Licht is everything you want in a GM.

He drafts fairly well and can make good FA deals.