Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Sanka

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Sanka »

Funny nobody mentions the 2016 class hahahahajahaha
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Seems we are out on Wilson and Rodgers. Basically the options are Watson, Trask/Gabbert, or another bum like Garropolo. Ouch
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:42 am With regards to all the questions we have about positional talent and where it leads I think any first year on the field QB will be on a ferris wheel that's getting it's brakes worked on all year long. Search for some talent? that we can have some fun with without high public expectations. Leave the expectations to the team and let them settle it (as always).
6 picks, that's all we got at the moment. People (some) are fine with trading our draft(s) away for a QB, I am not one of them. Would not of even had it done for Brady. Going hard in free agency - just more future bleeding and talks of we only need a few more pieces and we will be relevant. This is a high volume draft in regards to the amount of players.
I think the proper direction going forward is through the draft.
"Building the draft" is always ideal... but life is rarely ideal. I'm a Licht fan because he approaches things as I would, from the draft to free agency. And while the FO has hit on a ton of picks as of late, and we love to just give all that credit to him and "great evaluating", but there is still a substantial luck factor when it comes to the draft. And while we have (imo) a great process, that luck can vanish just as quickly as it came.

At the end of the day the draft remains more of a crapshoot than anything else.

At the right price for the right asset, I have no problem parting with draft picks.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Sanka is back. Maybe he can bring his boy Jason Bourne back as well?
Kress

Post by Kress »

Thread just got real.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

If we are really just going to let Gabbert and Trask battle for the job in camp then we just need to let most of our FAs walk and set ourselves up to be competitive in the future. I’m going to be legitimately angry if we continue to mortgage our future in a laughable attempt to win now with…Blaine Gabbert.

I’m starting to wish Bruce just retired and the organization start fresh. These last two years have been incredible, but reality is going to hit very hard very soon.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I miss the good, simple days when our biggest idiots were guys like BigTraG
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:39 pm If we are really just going to let Gabbert and Trask battle for the job in camp then we just need to let most of our FAs walk and set ourselves up to be competitive in the future. I’m going to be legitimately angry if we continue to mortgage our future in a laughable attempt to win now with…Blaine Gabbert.

I’m starting to wish Bruce just retired and the organization start fresh. These last two years have been incredible, but reality is going to hit very hard very soon.
There is something to be said for letting our players walk so we can reload with comp picks next draft and reset our cap.

If our head coach weren't going to turn 70 this fall, it might be a good play. As is, I doubt it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

You can’t be serious about competing next season and roll with the Gabbert/Trask platoon. Laughable. Best case scenario is that Trask is a bottom 3rd starting NFL QB aka not an obvious backup candidate like Gabbert. IMO.

So you have a bottom 3rd starting QB in an offense that requires a good one. And no run game.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why is letting our FA walk the best move? Say we go Trasbert, worst case is we literally suck. We get a top pick. Maybe a shot at a top QB. Why wouldn't you want that kid to come into a great situation with Cappa and Godwin, etc?

Also, why are we just assuming we know how this is going to play out? Gabbert, fine, I get it. Despite his cursed career start of 8 OCs in 8 years, he probably doesn't have much upside. Fine. But I don't get how some are just done with the kid.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:04 pm Why is letting our FA walk the best move? Say we go Trasbert, worst case is we literally suck. We get a top pick. Maybe a shot at a top QB. Why wouldn't you want that kid to come into a great situation with Cappa and Godwin, etc?

Also, why are we just assuming we know how this is going to play out? Gabbert, fine, I get it. Despite his cursed career start of 8 OCs in 8 years, he probably doesn't have much upside. Fine. But I don't get how some are just done with the kid.
Because the team’s cap space is going to become a big problem. We already mortgaged our future in a failed attempt to repeat as champions, we are going to be paying a lot of dead cap next year to players not on the team. Doubling down on that just hurts the future when the team isn’t in a position to win now anymore.

If Brady came back for one more go, then I say screw it and keep kicking that bucket down the road for another run. But we’re talking about starting one of the bigger draft busts of the decade now or a totally green young kid that the team doesn’t appear to be THAT confident in being the guy.

I’m not saying let everybody walk either. But spending all of our cap space to keep the team together around Blaine Gabbert is honestly laughable.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Trying to keep the talent around a combination of Gabbert/Trask isn’t a mistake if they think they can win with those guys. The division being down is inflating those chances, which makes it more difficult to embrace a full rebuild.

I’m on record saying they should rebuild/tank, but I understand why they wouldn’t want to. You play to win the game.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

From what I read, BA is planning to hand the reins to Trask.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

How is paying stars to stay in Tampa hurting our future?

Because then we won't have money... in the future... to maybe sign other people's stars when they are FA?

That's silly.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 am How is paying stars to stay in Tampa hurting our future?

Because then we won't have money... in the future... to maybe sign other people's stars when they are FA?

That's silly.
They have to want to be here as well. After 2 seasons with Tom Brady these guys, especially the ones on offense, may not want to hitch their future to a team without a clear plan at QB.

If Trask is the plan, great, make sure he’s set up with good players around him.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:50 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 am How is paying stars to stay in Tampa hurting our future?

That's silly.
They have to want to be here as well. After 2 seasons with Tom Brady these guys, especially the ones on offense, may not want to hitch their future to a team without a clear plan at QB.

If Trask is the plan, great, make sure he’s set up with good players around him.
Trask is the plan. Per BA, Trask is behind, "door #1."
Don't tread on me
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 am From what I read, BA is planning to hand the reins to Trask.
Given that Trask is the only quarterback on the roster, I'd agree.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:15 pm As Dread posted, both the Yucks and Human Turnover Machine are beyond done with one another.

If they ever seriously considered bringing that moron back, I'd never watch another Yucks Game again. And I have entire room in my house filled with shit and painted Yuck colors (odd that I'm single, I know) as well as front door is Creamsicle.

Fucking rather have Scam Newton.... so yeah.
Succinctly put, Pete.
I think Winston lost the locker room in Tampa with all the vapid, moronic, idiotic bullshit like "Eat a W!" And if your locker doesn't respect you, your team will quit when they are down by two scores.

Keep Winston the fuck outta here.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:17 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:50 pm

To be honest, I would expect him to say that as he is the only one on the roster right now.... If he doesn't talk Trask up now, what happens when he is the best option later??
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:57 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:17 pm

To be honest, I would expect him to say that as he is the only one on the roster right now.... If he doesn't talk Trask up now, what happens when he is the best option later??
That's very true. Do you think he's going to tell the fans while swigging from a bottle of Jack, "we don't have an option #1. God help us if we have to start Trask"?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

That's silly.
Cap space isn’t always about “signing other people’s stars” (which btw, we just did and won a Super Bowl), it’s also about having the flexibility to keep your own in the future too. Wirfs and Winfield will both be up for big deals very soon at the same time. We may not have the cap space to sign them back or have to gut the roster to do it because people are delusional about thinking we will be competitive with Blaine Gabbert.

People seriously buying into Gabbert being a playoff QB worthy of splurging your cap space and future for is silly to me.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:02 am

That's silly.
Cap space isn’t always about “signing other people’s stars” (which btw, we just did and won a Super Bowl), it’s also about having the flexibility to keep your own in the future too. Wirfs and Winfield will both be up for big deals very soon at the same time. We may not have the cap space to sign them back or have to gut the roster to do it because people are delusional about thinking we will be competitive with Blaine Gabbert.

People seriously buying into Gabbert being a playoff QB worthy of splurging your cap space and future for is silly to me.
Besides which, 14 teams make the playoffs now. Being "playoff worthy" isn't a good enough reason to torpedo your future for. I don't think going 9-8 and losing 37-3 in the wildcard is worth not being able to pay Antoine Winfield in 2 years.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So we let the very kind of star players we want to resign walk today because we may want to resign star players tomorrow?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Never change Pete
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

PetePierson wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:49 am No way Cool Daddy BA is going to coach a team with a "rookie" who couldn't even beat out Griffin to dress for one damn game and / or Gabbert.

Just hope he resigns prior to the draft.
That might hold water if the player in question wasn't drafted in the second round by this exact same staff less than a year ago. Obviously they liked Trask then, and per BA's public statements at the Combine obviously they like him now.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I need some Kyle Trask workout hype videos/stories.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I hear the baller in NOLA puts out some great ones
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:25 am So we let the very kind of star players we want to resign walk today because we may want to resign star players tomorrow?
You keep using the term star here but outside of Godwin, none of these players are actual stars. We can’t afford to keep all these players and we are wasting our time if we do because if Gabbert is our QB then we literally have the worst starting QB in the league.
Snake

Post by Snake »

#Malpractice as usual.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So Rodgers to Packers, Wilson to Broncos….

Deshaun Watson to ??
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:45 pm So Rodgers to Packers, Wilson to Broncos….

Deshaun Watson to ??
Jail?
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I have a feeling Carolina gets Watson. Rhule and company there are really desperate.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:45 pm So Rodgers to Packers, Wilson to Broncos….

Deshaun Watson to ??
...jail???
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:04 pm

Deshaun Watson to ??
...jail???
It was a quip. I'm aware that jail isn't on the table in civil trials.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/spor ... uston.html

But he's facing a grand jury on friday