Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:10 pm Baker is 2nd in plays over 40 yards and 4th in passing TDs and we've only recently started to really find our form.

But like, whatever.
Pointing out 2 favorable stats and ignoring how many other negative stats? You're really reaching. Being 2nd in plays over 40 yards and 4th in passing TD's doesn't mean very much when....

We're 19th in total scoring
We're tied for 27th in rushing TD's
We're tied for 27th in FG attempts

Despite having Mike Evans (10th in the NFL in yards/1st in TD's), Chris Godwin (leading the team in receptions), & Rachaad White (3rd in the NFL in RB yards from scrimmage/7th in the NFL), we only managed 36 total TD's which puts us tied for 18th in the league.

Apparently, 2 stats make Baker Mayfield look good, and in your opinion, worthy of promoting... while many other stats make the offense that he runs, look bleh. So, if it's not Mayfield's fault for out mediocre to below average scoring, who's is it? Bowles? Should he be fired for bringing everyone down? Canales? Should he be fired because the offense only makes 2 aspects of Mayfield look good?

Or should we realize that out mediocre offense is lead by a mediocre QB and we're producing mediocre numbers and a mediocre record?

Or do we just focus on 2 particular stats and say "But like, whatever"?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Dude brought up rushing TDs and FGs to show why the QB is mediocre.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

In terms of Fields, you know what you’re getting. Hes a solid qb with growing potential. But if you’re the Bears and think Caleb Williams or Drake Maye can be better than that, and a team inside the top 15 offers you their No. 1 and another pick for Fields (most likely the Falcons), you now have 3 No. 1s inside the top 10 or 15. Plus Carolina was stupid away to trade you DJ Moore and you can pair him with a Harrison, Nabors, or Odunze. The Bears D is also already vastly improving.

The Bears are a team I’d like to be right now.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:57 am Another day another Justin Fields discussion out of the blue by @acmillis. It's 2024, kiddo. Get a new act.
...and you brought up Herbert for no reason, huh?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Herbert is too light skinned.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Caucasian, Snake
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:00 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:57 am Another day another Justin Fields discussion out of the blue by @acmillis. It's 2024, kiddo. Get a new act.
Mentioned him as one of the very few prospects people would like here because he's perceived as being in the same company as guys like Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson, Hurts etc. Or do you hate him too, seeing as you hate nearly every player in the NFL
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 am In terms of Fields, you know what you’re getting. Hes a solid qb with growing potential. But if you’re the Bears and think Caleb Williams or Drake Maye can be better than that, and a team inside the top 15 offers you their No. 1 and another pick for Fields (most likely the Falcons), you now have 3 No. 1s inside the top 10 or 15. Plus Carolina was stupid away to trade you DJ Moore and you can pair him with a Harrison, Nabors, or Odunze. The Bears D is also already vastly improving.

The Bears are a team I’d like to be right now.
They are definitely trending in the right direction. 5-2 in their last 7 games after it looked like they'd repeat as being the worst team in football. Eberflus has definitely done well and earned a 3rd year.

Now they get another #1 pick, their own 1st and over $60mil in cap space. They have the resources to make a big jump this offseason.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:00 am

Mentioned him as one of the very few prospects people would like here because he's perceived as being in the same company as guys like Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson, Hurts etc. Or do you hate him too, seeing as you hate nearly every player in the NFL
Got it, so you brought him up for no reason.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:47 pm Schiano is/was a turd who isn’t meant for the NFL.

Josh Freeman didn’t have the mentality necessary to sustain a successful NFL career as a QB.

Both can exist.
I'm not disputing that both can exist. I was disputing that Freeman's problems were Schiano's fault. They weren't. They were Freeman's fault.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:43 am Dude brought up rushing TDs and FGs to show why the QB is mediocre.
Way to dodge the question. No, the dude brought up aspects of our team that aren't being productive. They're not being productive because the qb isn't generating the opportunities for them.

The qb's job is to put the team into position to score. How do you do that? By moving down field. The Bucs are 23rd in yards, and 19th in points because Mayfield isn't good enough to use his weapons to move down field and put points on the board. That's why the lack of rushing TD's and FG's are a problem. It's because we're not an efficient or productive offense. Correct if I'm wrong, but a QB plays a big role in that, does he not?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:43 am Dude brought up rushing TDs and FGs to show why the QB is mediocre.
Apparently Baker isn't running it well enough.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:34 pm
Way to dodge the question. No, the dude brought up aspects of our team that aren't being productive. They're not being productive because the qb isn't generating the opportunities for them.

The qb's job is to put the team into position to score. How do you do that? By moving down field. The Bucs are 23rd in yards, and 19th in points because Mayfield isn't good enough to use his weapons to move down field and put points on the board. That's why the lack of rushing TD's and FG's are a problem. It's because we're not an efficient or productive offense. Correct if I'm wrong, but a QB plays a big role in that, does he not?
They're 15th in passing and 31st in rushing. I agree if they could run it better they'd be much better in total yards and points. I don't agree that Baker has much to do with the inefficiencies in the run game.

His passing statistics are top 10 in most categories.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Maybe we should try rotating the QB to keep the running backs fresh.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Pile of various and sundry to evaluate 2023 Baker Mayfield (these are not in order of my perceived importance):

Leads an Offense that is:

# 19 Points Per Game
# 23 Yards Per Game
# 15 Yards Per Play
# 25 Red Zone Scoring %
# 10 Giveaways Per Game
# 24 First Downs Per Game
# 11 Third Down Conversion %
# 2 Fourth Down Conversion %

Personal (of 32 qualifying QBs with minimum 250 Dropbacks):

# 10 Passer Rating
# 16 QBR
# 4 Passing TDs
# 18 Interceptions
# 8 Yards
# 10 Yards Per Attempt
# 19 PFF Grade
# 16 Big Time Throw %
# 24 Turnover Worthy Play %
# 1 Batted Balls
# 9 First Downs
# 16 % of Pressures with Some QB Responsibility

Deep Passing (20 +):

# 34 PFF Grade
# 22 Passer Rating

Intermediate Passing (10-19):

# 15 PFF Grade
# 14 Passer Rating

Short Passing (0-9):

# 9 PFF Grade
# 6 Passer Rating
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:43 pm Maybe we should try rotating the QB to keep the running backs fresh.
I wish there was an upvote button on this board...seriously.
Backside

Post by Backside »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:05 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:43 pm Maybe we should try rotating the QB to keep the running backs fresh.
I have great news!
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Backside wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:05 pm

I have great news!
hahahah wow, I'm an idiot!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:22 pm
Backside wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm

I have great news!
hahahah wow, I'm an idiot!
I'll upvote that
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:34 pm

They're 15th in passing and 31st in rushing. I agree if they could run it better they'd be much better in total yards and points. I don't agree that Baker has much to do with the inefficiencies in the run game.

With Kevin Stefanski, the Browns were 19-14 with Mayfield. He said, "no thanks" to having Mayfield and chose a guy who hadn't played the year before and will miss two-thirds of the following year. In 2022 with Jacoby Brissett starting 11 games and Watson starting 6, the Browns finished the year with 7 wins... 1 less than the prior year with Mayfield. They were also 18 in points scored and 14th in yards. The prior year with Mayfield (with Nick Chubb and Co, rushing for almost 2500 yards with 20 TDs), ranked 20th in points and 16th in yards. Even with Nick Chubb all 4 years, Cleveland's offense was never really better than mediocre. He comes here, has better receivers, and again, the offense is mediocre.

This year in Cleveland with Stefanski still at the helm, who didn't want Mayfield, lost Nick Chubb in Week 2, and is 11-5. Even Joe Flacco is 4-1. Interestingly enough, they're #9 in points scored and #11 in yards. Something Mayfield has never done. Nick Chubb down, with Mayfield, this years' Browns team probably has 5 or 6 wins right now.
Last edited by CannonFire on Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Just replacing Mayfield would do the trick... no need to rotate them.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So we’re looking to the Cleveland Browns as a model franchise now? They were a disaster organization well before Mayfield got there.

Also, there’s a better than zero chance the Bucs will be a game better this year than they were with Brady last year.

I’m no hopeium addict, but dumping Mayfield because of his record with the Browns makes no sense.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:18 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 pm

With Kevin Stefanski, the Browns were 19-14 with Mayfield. He said, "no thanks" to having Mayfield and chose a guy who hadn't played the year before and will miss two-thirds of the following year.
Which has/will go down as an all time terrible acquisition and management of resources.
This year in Cleveland with Stefanski still at the helm, who didn't want Mayfield, lost Nick Chubb in Week 2, and is 11-5. Even Joe Flacco is 4-1. Interestingly enough, they're #9 in points scored and #11 in yards. Something Mayfield has never done. Nick Chubb down, with Mayfield, this years' Browns team probably has 5 or 6 wins right now.
I COMPLETELY disagree. What is the argument for this? With a way better defense behind him Baker would have 3-4 more losses? How does that math work?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cleveland is dominant on defense. That’s why they’re winning.

I’d tank for Myles Garrett.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:33 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:18 pm

With Kevin Stefanski, the Browns were 19-14 with Mayfield. He said, "no thanks" to having Mayfield and chose a guy who hadn't played the year before and will miss two-thirds of the following year.
Which has/will go down as an all time terrible acquisition and management of resources.
I COMPLETELY disagree. What is the argument for this? With a way better defense behind him Baker would have 3-4 more losses? How does that math work?
Maybe will be the worst... but the team is still better because of it. You do know that prior to the injury, the Browns were 5-1 with Watson, right?

What argument can I make? This year, the Browns are 11th in points against and 1st in yards against. In 2021, when the Browns were 8-9 (6-8 with Mayfield, 2-0 with Keenum), their defense was 13th in points against and 5 in yards against. The two teams weren't all that far apart.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:38 pm Cleveland is dominant on defense. That’s why they’re winning.

The Browns are giving up 1 less point per game this year than when Mayfield was there in 2021... when they went 8-9. The Browns are dominant? They're giving up 20.7 ppg (11th)... we're giving up 20.3 (9th). Are we dominant too?
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm
Backside wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:33 pm

Maybe will be the worst... but the team is still better because of it. You do know that prior to the injury, the Browns were 5-1 with Watson, right?

What argument can I make? This year, the Browns are 11th in points against and 1st in yards against. In 2021, when the Browns were 8-9 (6-8 with Mayfield, 2-0 with Keenum), their defense was 13th in points against and 5 in yards against. The two teams weren't all that far apart.
I don't think they are better because of it. Clearly a QB off the scrap heap can be successful on that team. So paying the most guaranteed money of all time and a bunch of draft picks for a mediocre QB did not make them better. They are a good roster with a good coach, that is a good situation for a QB.

2021 Baker is not 2023 Baker. I don't know how you can watch the Browns QB play this year and think Baker would be some massive downgrade for them. In fact, a very common narrative this season has been how awful the Watson trade was when the Browns could have just kept Baker. Because the TEAM is so good.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:10 pm Baker is 2nd in plays over 40 yards and 4th in passing TDs and we've only recently started to really find our form.

But like, whatever.
Pointing out 2 favorable stats and ignoring how many other negative stats? You're really reaching. Being 2nd in plays over 40 yards and 4th in passing TD's doesn't mean very much when....

Despite having Mike Evans (10th in the NFL in yards/1st in TD's), Chris Godwin (leading the team in receptions), & Rachaad White (3rd in the NFL in RB yards from scrimmage/7th in the NFL), we only managed 36 total TD's which puts us tied for 18th in the league.

Apparently, 2 stats make Baker Mayfield look good, and in your opinion, worthy of promoting... while many other stats make the offense that he runs, look bleh. So, if it's not Mayfield's fault for out mediocre to below average scoring, who's is it? Bowles? Should he be fired for bringing everyone down? Canales? Should he be fired because the offense only makes 2 aspects of Mayfield look good?

Or should we realize that out mediocre offense is lead by a mediocre QB and we're producing mediocre numbers and a mediocre record?

I posted them all. He is top ten in every stat passing other than QBR (13th), Completion %, TTT, and sacks allowed are in the 20s. So stop with that BS narrative that he has bad stats all around
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

We could miraculously win the Superbowl with Baker this year and people still say we need to tank to get a QB who can be a franchise QB.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:54 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:38 pm Cleveland is dominant on defense. That’s why they’re winning.

The Browns are giving up 1 less point per game this year than when Mayfield was there in 2021... when they went 8-9. The Browns are dominant? They're giving up 20.7 ppg (11th)... we're giving up 20.3 (9th). Are we dominant too?
Oh come on.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:57 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm

I don't think they are better because of it. Clearly a QB off the scrap heap can be successful on that team. So paying the most guaranteed money of all time and a bunch of draft picks for a mediocre QB did not make them better. They are a good roster with a good coach, that is a good situation for a QB.

2021 Baker is not 2023 Baker. I don't know how you can watch the Browns QB play this year and think Baker would be some massive downgrade for them. In fact, a very common narrative this season has been how awful the Watson trade was when the Browns could have just kept Baker. Because the TEAM is so good.
We'll see how it plays out. Personally, I think Watson is a jerk and I'd prefer that things don't go well for the team because of the signing, that said, he's produced in the past. Getting his legs under him and back into the flow of things may be all he needs to get back to star level production. If he does, that deal will most certainly be worth it. The best part of that deal though, was moving on from a guy who's a mediocre QB who people... for some reason, think he's better than what he is (wink, wink), and upgrade at the position.

You're right, Baker 2021 is not Baker 2023. Baker 2021 was coming off a playoff caliber season where from a QBR standpoint, was better than what he is now. In 2021, he was in the second year of the system and he regressed. Basically, we're getting Baker 2020. Next year, we'll get Baker 2021... if we stick with him. Yeah, I'll pass.

Yeah, that narrative is from people who don't like Watson on a personal level. I don't like him either, screw him... but the talent is there and not only the talent, the production (historically). Production that no one has ever seen from Mayfield.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:58 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am

I posted them all. He is top ten in every stat passing other than QBR (13th), Completion %, TTT, and sacks allowed are in the 20s. So stop with that BS narrative that he has bad stats all around
I didn't say he has bad stats all around. That's you creating my argument and debating against that. I've said all along that he's a mediocre QB who yields mediocre results. We're 8-8... I'm not sure how much more mediocre you can get than that. Our offense, which he leads, is mediocre. Our scoring, our yardage, our opportunities... they're all "meh". It's because he's a "meh" QB. Look, as a stop gap, he's fine. No problem. But he isn't a solution. Now, if the Bucs want to give him a 2 yr / $50M deal (no guarantees/no bonuses), with $20M in 2024, fine... as long as we draft his replacement. If he warrants keeping for 2025, then pay him the $30M and then move on to the kid in 2026. One thing that everyone will need to understand is that 2024 will be a carbon copy of 2023. We'll be a 7 to 9 win team where strength of schedule dictates whether we are 7 or less... or 9 or more, it certainly won't be because Mayfield was better or worse than this year. He was, is, and always will be a "meh" QB.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:54 pm

Oh come on.
Great point, I'm convinced!

The Browns do have a very good defense, it's not dominant.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:57 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm

Oh come on.

They lead the league in yards allowed. Lead the league in fewest first downs allowed and lead that category by a margin of 46. First in expected points contributed. Second in defensive DVOA. 3rd most turnovers created. They are most assuredly dominant.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:05 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:57 am

They lead the league in yards allowed. Lead the league in fewest first downs allowed and lead that category by a margin of 46. First in expected points contributed. Second in defensive DVOA. 3rd most turnovers created. They are most assuredly dominant.
Had to be a hard road against all those really bad/backup/rookie QB's they faced, huh?