Byron Leftwich: Hired

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BJJ34

Re: Byron Leftwich: Hired

Post by BJJ34 »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am Haven’t seen this from a major source like Rap or Schefter yet… Not believing it until I do.
Still true.

Sometimes these reporters are being used by executives to get their ideas out.
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:10 am

How strange for one of the worst coaching staffs in the league who should all be fired...
are you saying the coaching staff of the last Super Bowl champion team is one of the worst in the league?
BLT

Post by BLT »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:09 am
OneBuc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 am

That's what the Bucs did for Raheem.
Shitty franchises are that way because they make shitty decisions.

Not saying Raheem was a bad hire, just validating my point that it's dumb to trust a candidate to be the HC of the team but not let him pick his own staff.

It's poor leadership that you see in poorly run businesses
Raheem was a horrible hire and it was handled in an embarrassing manner by promoting him to DC before double promoting him to HC.
Dread

Post by Dread »

BLT wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:12 pm
Dread wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:09 am
Shitty franchises are that way because they make shitty decisions.

Not saying Raheem was a bad hire, just validating my point that it's dumb to trust a candidate to be the HC of the team but not let him pick his own staff.

It's poor leadership that you see in poorly run businesses
Raheem was a horrible hire and it was handled in an embarrassing manner by promoting him to DC before double promoting him to HC.
He was too immature for the job and probably didn't deserve it at the time, so yeah I can't disagree. I just didn't want to convolude the point I was making (Coaches should have the autonomy to hire their own staff) by passing judgement on Raheem as a Bucs coach.

The Glazer boys rushed the Raheem hire b/c they were convinced he was the next Mike Tomlin. He went from DB coach to HC in a month.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 pm
So it's not as beneficial for a franchise to have more than one minority staffer get hired away to HC or GM job per offseason?
That's my takeaway.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:21 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am Haven’t seen this from a major source like Rap or Schefter yet… Not believing it until I do.
Still true.

Sometimes these reporters are being used by executives to get their ideas out.
Yeah, looking again, I only seeing NBC Sports reporting what I was posting about. Seems like they are turning into an unreliable news service.
Nano

Post by Nano »

So...he's technically not hired as of right now. He wants the Job...according to sources, his two selections this offseason are the Jags or returning to us(Why nobody else has actually interviewed him, only the Saints have even requested).

Seems like an easy hire almost. Leftwich wants the Jags, the Jags do kind of want Leftwich(There is a deal worked out). The fans love Leftwich and want him to be their HC. It gives you a reason to get rid of one of the worst GMs currently in the NFL in Baalke. A story that writes itself.

Unfortunately, the Jags are stupid.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nano wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 pm So...he's technically not hired as of right now. He wants the Job...according to sources, his two selections this offseason are the Jags or returning to us(Why nobody else has actually interviewed him, only the Saints have even requested).

Seems like an easy hire almost. Leftwich wants the Jags, the Jags do kind of want Leftwich(There is a deal worked out). The fans love Leftwich and want him to be their HC. It gives you a reason to get rid of one of the worst GMs currently in the NFL in Baalke. A story that writes itself.

It sounds like Khan wants to keep Baalke.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Nano wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 pm So...he's technically not hired as of right now. He wants the Job...according to sources, his two selections this offseason are the Jags or returning to us(Why nobody else has actually interviewed him, only the Saints have even requested).

Jags going to Jag.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:09 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm

Jags going to Jag.
That’s about all you can say at this point. It makes no sense. Take the easy win.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So all this firing Baalke news was also crap?

I don't get it, Khan seems like a smart guy. WTF does Baalke have on him?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Making car bumpers isn’t running a football team. Rich smart guys aren’t smart at everything no matter how much they believe they are.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:01 pm Making car bumpers isn’t running a football team. Rich smart guys aren’t smart at everything no matter how much they believe they are.
I am good then. I am not rich so my delusions about being smart must be accurate. :D
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Lefty is pullin out

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I think Bisaccia deserves a shot, but Doug Pederson? How the heck does that guy get another shot?
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

13F11B wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:35 pm I think Bisaccia deserves a shot, but Doug Pederson? How the heck does that guy get another shot?
It's Jacksonville
Nano

Post by Nano »

While obviously you'd like the picks, good on Leftwich for sticking to his guns with that clown organization. I'm not sure Jacksonville knows what the fuck they're doing anymore.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:56 pm While obviously you'd like the picks, good on Leftwich for sticking to his guns with that clown organization. I'm not sure Jacksonville knows what the fuck they're doing anymore.
I really would like that pick. But I agree. They had the guy they wanted lined up - one of the few really beloved figures in the franchise's shitty history - and they blew it.

It reminds me a lot of something Hugh would have done.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

I read somewhere that Khan is joining interviews and asking HC candidates how they feel about the GM. With him sitting in the room. Now that can mean different things. Asking how a HC may respond to having XYZ control over personnel. Versus “so tell me your opinion about John sitting here.”

I guess the implication is it rubbed people the wrong way.

Khan is also supposedly talking to Spielman about taking a president role over the GM.

Maybe Spiels should be in these meetings. Not Khan. Khan is the one who handpicked Urban Meyer, after all.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:46 pm I read somewhere that Khan is joining interviews and asking HC candidates how they feel about the GM. With him sitting in the room. Now that can mean different things. Asking how a HC may respond to having XYZ control over personnel. Versus “so tell me your opinion about John sitting here.”

I guess the implication is it rubbed people the wrong way.

Khan is also supposedly talking to Spielman about taking a president role over the GM.

Maybe Spiels should be in these meetings. Not Khan. Khan is the one who handpicked Urban Meyer, after all.
It's pretty simple. If you're going to keep your GM, or you're inclined to, you know damn well what he thinks of each candidate before you call them in for the interview. You also probably know what the candidate thinks about working with the GM before you make the appointment. And if either party has a problem with the other, you don't set the appointment. Literally none of this should happen at the interview.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

And RE: Baalke, it's remarkable to me that the 49ers and now the Jaguars are willing to invest so much credibility and capital into keeping this man as the GM. The 49ers ran off Harbaugh for him. They figured it out later, and dumped him. The Jaguars have now run off Leftwich for him, even after the disaster with Urban Meyer. And it's not like Baalke has been Ozzie Newsome in talent acquisition.

There are probably 100 dudes working in front offices right now who have the capacity to be successful GMs who aren't huge pricks. Seems like these owners should maybe target one of them.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Baalke is trash but it works in our favor.

I feel a lot better about 2022.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

13F11B wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:35 pm I think Bisaccia deserves a shot, but Doug Pederson? How the heck does that guy get another shot?

That's how. A ring buys you are lot of credibility.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doug is one of the best left, I like the hire. Rich deserves a shot somewhere else too. Heck he should've stayed the Raiders HC.
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

Good hire by the Jags - the last thing Jacksonville needed was another experiment this time with a relatively untested coordinator - that Rick Stroud and others used the "he's a great fit, being a one-time number one draft choice at JAX" argument (as Stroud has) is just dumb. This reminds me of the Bucs carousel with coordinators, college coach, ex-SB coach, more coordinators - then Arians.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:41 pm Baalke is trash but it works in our favor.

I feel a lot better about 2022.
I feel the opposite, Leftwich isn’t a good play caller and we miss out on extra draft picks from him being hired. I feel worse about 2022 and beyond since I’m worried about this organization letting Arians’ people (especially Leftwich) run the show after he leaves.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor is a Leftwich and Co slurper. You won’t find middle ground on this.

I’m at the point where I’ve reasoned myself into being okay with him returning. What’s the alternative? He will be replaced with another Arians disciple who will have less experience and just do want Bruce wants anyways. At least this is continuity for Trask.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I swear some fans have some deep-seeded PTSD. Maybe it's muscle memory at this point. This urge to clean house, change coaching staffs, reset at QB, rebuild rebuild rebuild.

We have a two time Coach of the Year winner who has been to the promised land with three different franchises.
A OC who has had a top 3 scoring offense the last three years.
A DC who has more finishes with top 10 scoring defenses in his career than he does without, who held Mahomes and Reid to 9 points.

And some Buc fans can't wait to turn the page on all of them.

I don't get it. I don't.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Doctor PTSD and memory muscle. That works. When you have suffered with this team as long as many of us have there are uncontrolled twitching that can happen. To be honest, my worry about rebuilding is partially that and partially because I also doubt Arians will be here beyond one more season. With a new coach usually comes a new 'style' and new player needs. The only team that I can think of that really did well on its coaching transition is Pittsburgh. Hell, they did well under Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin.

That being said, I do not want to turn the page on them. I am worried they are turning the page on us. Arians retires and his assistants get HC jobs.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Brady could have a top-three offense with Mike Greenberg as coordinator. Leftwich held him back way more than he helped him. As noted by others, Lefty doesn't exactly have a track record of brilliance apart from the GOAT.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Held him back from what?? Two more spots up the rankings?

You have interview after interview of them talking about each other, how good of a game lefty called, how in sync they are, all these great things and people here still need drama.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm Held him back from what?? Two more spots up the rankings?

You have interview after interview of them talking about each other, how good of a game lefty called, how in sync they are, all these great things and people here still need drama.
This is one of those things that fans refuse to believe. I got frustrated with our coaches just like any fan, but when you end the last 2 years the way we did I can’t cry that coaching is crap. Bowles dealt with injuries all year and still fielded a good defense. Leftwich calls a game that annoys TF out of fans yet puts up top 3 numbers. I can’t see how we are better off losing coordinators.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady hides a lot of deficiencies of game planning and playcalling.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:36 pm Brady hides a lot of deficiencies of game planning and playcalling.
Without Brady

2019: 23rd DVOA offense

With Brady

2020: 3rd DVOA offense
2021: 1st DVOA offense

This is historically a high risk, high return offense that (a) piles up Sacks against QB, (b) struggles in the RZ, (c) creates big plays in the passing game, (d) creates turnover-worthy-plays.

Brady subverts (a)
Brady inverts (b)
Brady exploits (c)
Brady minimizes (d)

Leftwich absolutely got better. But let’s not pretend that Brady wasn’t the overwhelming influence on the success of this offense (and the bailing out of this defense which had its share of 4th Q struggles that will lead to losses without elite QB play).

The odds we don’t struggle significantly on offense next year is very low. If we crack top 15 DVOA offense I’d be very surprised.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

What was Bruce Arians DVOA with Arizona and Indianapolis? I tried to find it, but I can’t.

@Nobody