Caleb Williams

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
MJW

Caleb Williams

Post by MJW »

Is this level of hype legit?

I've literally ready (anonymous) scouts claim this kid will be why the NFL institutes a draft lottery. Talking heads and decision makers saying he's generational. Comparisons to Mahomes that seem reasonable. We're talking Elway hype, perhaps higher than Peyton, Luck, or Lawrence enjoyed.

What say you? Punt the 2023 season (it's going to happen either way) and go Winless for Williams?

"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
acmillis

Re: Caleb Williams

Post by acmillis »

Nah, this franchise has a solid track record of getting the qb position right, so I’m not tanking.
/blue
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

In the soft ass PAC 12?
Heisman winner still has to pass the NFL test.
Many don’t… in any Conference
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Caleb Williams may be a generational talent. He certainly looked like one playing at USC this year.

HOWEVER, it deserves to be said that Lincoln Riley has had a quarterback be either Heisman winner or finalist in five of the last 7 years:

- 2016 - Baker Mayfield is a finalist
- 2017 - Baker Mayfield won the Heisman
- 2018 - Kyler Murray won the Heisman
- 2019 - Jalen Hurts is a finalist
- 2020 and 2021 - No Lincoln Riley QB are winners or finalists
- 2022 - Caleb Williams won the Heisman

And let's not forget that there was Heisman buzz for Spencer Rattler at Oklahoma before he imploded.

I'm not saying that Caleb Williams is a system quarterback and he's no good. I'm saying that he's benefiting from a system that makes him look like a worldbeater, as the men before him seemed.

That makes me want to be cautious.

Just saying.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

IF Caleb Williams goes to the right team with the right coach like Sean McVay or Andy Reid like system. He’s gonna be special.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Oh another generational type QB? That moniker is going to have to be amended soon. Use to be once in a decade they would come around. Now it seems like it’s every other year a “once in a generation” QB comes along.

I don’t see it with him. I think he’ll be very good. But when I think once in a generation I think a guy who’s ceiling is best QB in the league. Don’t see that with Williams. He’ll need the right situation.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:14 am Oh another generational type QB? That moniker is going to have to be amended soon. Use to be once in a decade they would come around. Now it seems like it’s every other year a “once in a generation” QB comes along.

I don’t see it with him. I think he’ll be very good. But when I think once in a generation I think a guy who’s ceiling is best QB in the league. Don’t see that with Williams. He’ll need the right situation.

This. Both parts of it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s a mega douche so I really don’t care if he’s good, or not.

After the collective football industry got duped on Trevor Lawrence being Andrew luck 2.0, you think this sort of shit would stop.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I thought that UGA QB might have won it. I mean, what a story. From a walk-on to a starter to a National Championship and, maybe, another NC.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:14 am Oh another generational type QB? That moniker is going to have to be amended soon. Use to be once in a decade they would come around. Now it seems like it’s every other year a “once in a generation” QB comes along.

There have only been 4 QB prospects I've considered "generational" in my lifetime - Elway ('83), Manning ('98), Luck ('12), Lawrence ('21.) This seems reasonable to me. Though I agree the term gets used too much. And frankly, it's flawed anyway. If Lawrence and Williams are three drafts apart, then neither one is technically "generational," no matter how good they are as prospects. It's a silly way to view the topic.

On the second point, I like Williams a lot. I think he's got an ideal skill-set for this era. He's pocket sense and lateral/pocket movement skills are elite. He's accurate. He has a quick release and he's decisive. I can't think of a perfect comp for him, though he reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am He’s a mega douche so I really don’t care if he’s good, or not.

After the collective football industry got duped on Trevor Lawrence being Andrew luck 2.0, you think this sort of shit would stop.
Is he? I don't know much about him.

I think the light is coming on for Lawrence. It just took a year longer than most expected. 11 TDs, 0 INTs over his last 5 games, which includes upsets against the Ravens and Titans. If the Jags focus on improving their line and getting him a legit #1 receiver this offseason, look out.
Let's roll another joint
Kress

Post by Kress »

MJW wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:53 am
Snake wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am He’s a mega douche so I really don’t care if he’s good, or not.

I think the light is coming on for Lawrence. It just took a year longer than most expected.

Somebody merge these for me. Thanks in advance.

Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:53 am

Is he? I don't know much about him.

I think the light is coming on for Lawrence. It just took a year longer than most expected. 11 TDs, 0 INTs over his last 5 games, which includes upsets against the Ravens and Titans. If the Jags focus on improving their line and getting him a legit #1 receiver this offseason, look out.
Funny thing is, Joe Burrow had an awful rookie season and look what's happened to him last season. A lot of super talented QBs take about a year to get their feet wet and get used to the speed of the NFL.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

So you want this man? :ugeek:

Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

He plays like Pat Maholmes with his ability to keep plays alive. Ducking and dodging defenders. Isn't dependent on his legs like Fields, etc. and actually makes throws/reads. The guy could bust, like every prospect, but he sure does look good in college.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

As much as I'm against Street Ball and I'd prefer my QBs to play like Manning and Brady, kids like Caleb Williams are the future.

He appears to have "it" and could be truly special. He's got a rocket for an arm and has +mobility while also possessing the ability to throw off platform.

We should absolutely be tanking for him if we want a chance at not becoming irrelevant again and the laughing stock of the league.

But he will require a good support system that's willing to build the offense around his strengths. Throw him in the mix with the two unqualified coaches we have now, and he's going to become an instant bust.

Let Bowles get us to 1-16 next year and then bring in someone with a good offensive mind that's willing to mold the team around Williams.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:59 pm He plays like Pat Maholmes with his ability to keep plays alive. Ducking and dodging defenders. Isn't dependent on his legs like Fields, etc. and actually makes throws/reads. The guy could bust, like every prospect, but he sure does look good in college.
This.

The single most underrated aspect of a QB's game in the modern NFL is lateral/pocket movement skills. Not Lamar scrambling/designed runs. But simply the ability to escape the pocket and buy an extra second. Or even just to shuffle the feet and buy an extra split second.

Williams can do this really, really well. Throw in field sense and a compact motion/accurate arm, and the guy is built for today's game. I don't know about the "generational" stuff, but I would bet on the kid being a very good NFL quarterback. I see more Rodgers than Mahomes, but whatever.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hell I’m all in for Caleb Williams
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Remember when Spencer Rattler was going to be a god..and he didn't develop. We have at least 1 more season to observe Williams, but I'd guess he'll have competition for the top overall pick.

Anyway, we have our savior in Trask.
/blue (maybe, we don't know yet because he hasn't played and may be good...or terrible)
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm going to laugh when someone else goes #1.
Backside

Post by Backside »

He's got all the tools for sure. It's between the ears that will mostly dictate his career.

People in this thread saying his ceiling still isn't top QB in the league I definitely don't understand though. What tools does he not have?
Snake

Post by Snake »

It comes down to the ability to process and go through reads at nfl speeds. It’s almost always the deciding factor of success. guys who aren’t good at that, like Jimmy G, reveal their limitations when they are forced to work off script and in suboptimal situations.

Mobility, arm strength, throwing a catchable ball, you need those to get in the NFL door anymore. There is way too much talent at quarterback these days to be bad in any of those. Tom Brady was the last of a dying breed.