The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:23 pm 28 days out?? What's the point? This is just doing shut just for the sake of doing shit.
I was thinking the same thing. 4 weeks notice? That's just stupid. Lots can change over 4 weeks in a 17 game schedule.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:21 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:23 pm 28 days out?? What's the point? This is just doing shut just for the sake of doing shit.
I was thinking the same thing. 4 weeks notice? That's just stupid. Lots can change over 4 weeks in a 17 game schedule.
They'll flex a week 14 game in week 9 and one of those teams will lose 3 straight and have a lot of key injuries along the way. It's inevitable.
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:21 pm

They'll flex a week 14 game in week 9 and one of those teams will lose 3 straight and have a lot of key injuries along the way. It's inevitable.
Here's a pretty good article that brings up a lot of the issues these flex schedules can and do cause.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... 20out%20of.

Oh, and their flex scheduling can now include MNF games and Sunday afternoon games (moving from 1 PM to 4 PM).
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Next the NFL will flex games played in Europe. On a few days' notice the Bucs and their opponent will be instructed to travel to Germany to play the game instead of teams originally scheduled to play there.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I found this very interesting.

Kinda explains a lot for all 4 in reference to why they haven't taken that next step.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I wonder what would be the most turnovers in 1 score losses.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:56 am I wonder what would be the most turnovers in 1 score losses.
More interesting is most turnovers in a win. In the super bowl era, it's the Packers in 1967 with 8!

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/game/9-24- ... -@-gb-4010

More modern is the Titans with 7 in 2000

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/game/11-19 ... -ten-11381
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Washington Commanders could undergo third name change in four years

Bring back Redskins!!

But seriously, I think Redtails sound better. What do you think?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Wow Deandre Hopkins a free man. Let the bidding begin. Gotta think KC the favorite. They need a WR to replace Smith-Schuster and he could play for Mahomes.

Also trying to figure out how he wasn’t traded.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty crazy that they released him. Says a lot about him as a player and a teammate.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

They wanted him gone so badly, they didn't even wait until June 1 to do so. Ate the entire $22.6mil dead cap hit.

Tell me you're rebuilding without telling me you're rebuilding.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:44 pm They wanted him gone so badly, they didn't even wait until June 1 to do so. Ate the entire $22.6mil dead cap hit.

Maybe they want to eat his whole cap hit this year instead of spreading it over the next two seasons? I don't know though, I'm no capologist.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:07 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:44 pm They wanted him gone so badly, they didn't even wait until June 1 to do so. Ate the entire $22.6mil dead cap hit.

Maybe they want to eat his whole cap hit this year instead of spreading it over the next two seasons? I don't know though, I'm no capologist.
Possibly. Be done for good after 2023.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Says something about him that one franchise gave him away for basically nothing and another now gives him away for literally nothing.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Well we know BOB was trying to get fired...

Cards are just the cards.
Kona

Post by Kona »

They absolutely wanted to eat the dead cap this year, In What will likely be running for the number 1 pick anyways.

I wonder if they decide to rest Kyler the whole year to keep his stock higher for a potential trade if they end up in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes? Keep in mind the current GM/coach did not sign him to that extension. If they DO decide to trade him, I can absolutely see Licht going after Kyler if we’re picking say 5-10 and out of the top QB range. I don’t think it’ll take a first either given his cap numbers.

I do like the Paris Johnson pick this year for them, no matter who is the QBOTF. They could every well have the 1-2 picks next year (Houston’s 1st) and go Williams/Marvin Harrison Jr. Or if they decide to roll with Kyler they can get a larger Haul than the Bears got.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm not a Kyler fan. With that said, depending on how much the cards eat off that deal, I'll take a Canales rework project of Murray at the $25M rate. But you usually don't want to be banking on future maturity.
Snake

Post by Snake »

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/28/las-v ... clause-cut
This past week, The Athletic reported that Raiders quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo underwent surgery on his injured left foot after signing with the team in March. It appears as though the team knew about the foot issue before agreeing to sign the quarterback and addressed the situation in his contract.

The clause regarding the injury was necessary because Garoppolo did not pass his physical exam. Additionally, by signing the contract, Garoppolo agreed that he understands he is at a higher risk of increased injury to his left foot.

The clause means that he waives any responsibility the team or league would have relating to issues over his foot injury. The Raiders also have the ability to cut Garoppolo outright “for any reason related to the Waiver and Release attached as Addendum G,” according to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.

However, if Garoppolo is on the team’s roster two days after the team’s final game of the 2023 season, the clause becomes null and void.

Garoppolo’s injury is the same one that ended his 2022 season for the 49ers, as he broke his left foot against the Dolphins in Week 13.
“The #Raiders converted all 11.25M of Garropolo’s signing bonus to a 23M guaranteed 2023 salary post failed physical

The team can cut Garoppolo with no losses till he
- passes a physical
- plays at least 1 game
- doesn’t suffer any injury to his left foot during the 2023 season.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This makes the Raiders look foolish in signing him as their Plan A in the 1st place.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Snake wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:53 pm

“The #Raiders converted all 11.25M of Garropolo’s signing bonus to a 23M guaranteed 2023 salary post failed physical

The team can cut Garoppolo with no losses till he
- passes a physical
- plays at least 1 game
- doesn’t suffer any injury to his left foot during the 2023 season.
Such a wild clause. Dude could stub his toe walking into a Del Taco and lose 23 million fucking dollars. Huh What?
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

The Bucs probably aren't going to be that great but there's no way they're out-tanking the Cards. Holy shit did they ever mess up good. This might be a worse situation than Schiano/Freeman because I am not 100% convinced Murray has the maturity necessary for the next step and Kingsbury (although he's gone) was not that great either

Nothing would make me happier than to have him make me eat shit and be wrong here
MJW

Post by MJW »

wiThe Bucs probably aren't going to be that great but there's no way they're out-tanking the Cards. Holy shit did they ever mess up good. This might be a worse situation than Schiano/Freeman because I am not 100% convinced Murray has the maturity necessary for the next step and Kingsbury (although he's gone) was not that great either

Nothing would make me happier than to have him make me eat shit and be wrong here
[/quote]

They have rightly figured out they're not going to be a contender either way, so they're clearing cap space, acquiring picks, etc. It's smart.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If they aren't going to be a contender, or are just outright tanking, why not trade Murray as well? It'll be a fun experiment to see if they're able to turn it around quicker than the Bucs with this strategy as we seem to be going at it with a different approach.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm If they aren't going to be a contender, or are just outright tanking, why not trade Murray as well? It'll be a fun experiment to see if they're able to turn it around quicker than the Bucs with this strategy as we seem to be going at it with a different approach.
If by "turn it around" you mean "legitimately be a threat to win the Conference," we're a year behind them because we're still pretending this season matters and they know better. We'll be doing what they're doing now in a year.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I would just love to hear what bs hindsight one would use to deem who was a "legit contender" any given year and who wasn't. Is it as simple as who made it to the Conference Championship? Bills haven't made it to one the last two years, they've just been pretenders this whole time? Vikings? 9ers?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

By the logic used by @MJW for the past 15 years, ultimately the "real" contender is only the team who wins the SB each year. Why should the Vikings season be considered any more of a failure than the Eagles? Both teams failed to get a Lombardi. That's how twisted her logic has been all these years. She pretends a team should know they'll suck BEFORE they actually do.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:15 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:48 pm If they aren't going to be a contender, or are just outright tanking, why not trade Murray as well? It'll be a fun experiment to see if they're able to turn it around quicker than the Bucs with this strategy as we seem to be going at it with a different approach.
If by "turn it around" you mean "legitimately be a threat to win the Conference," we're a year behind them because we're still pretending this season matters and they know better. We'll be doing what they're doing now in a year.
What do you mean by "doing what they're doing?" Tampa has released their high dollar under-performing players. They didn't spend big in free agency. They're doing the same things and they don't have a $35M QB cramping their style, which I'm answering my own question looking at his cap numbers. Ouch. $81M dead cap hit in 2024. Not remotely tradeable this year or next.

The Bucs weren't able to trade their 1st for additional draft capital, but the 19th pick doesn't really have the same value as the 3rd overall, and honestly I think the Cardinals made a terrible mistake passing on Will Anderson.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:42 pm By the logic used by @MJW for the past 15 years, ultimately the "real" contender is only the team who wins the SB each year. Why should the Vikings season be considered any more of a failure than the Eagles? Both teams failed to get a Lombardi. That's how twisted her logic has been all these years. She pretends a team should know they'll suck BEFORE they actually do.
Worse still the team shouldn't actually try to get better by developing its players, building chemistry in a scheme, or re-inventing themselves. No, the only way to get better is new blood: cut your good players so you don't have to pay them, clear up cap space to pay other peoples players, and most importantly try to get the highest pick possible "by any means". Because that's how you fix a team.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:31 am
Bootz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:42 pm By the logic used by @MJW for the past 15 years, ultimately the "real" contender is only the team who wins the SB each year. Why should the Vikings season be considered any more of a failure than the Eagles? Both teams failed to get a Lombardi. That's how twisted her logic has been all these years. She pretends a team should know they'll suck BEFORE they actually do.
Worse still the team shouldn't actually try to get better by developing its players, building chemistry in a scheme, or re-inventing themselves. No, the only way to get better is new blood: cut your good players so you don't have to pay them, clear up cap space to pay other peoples players, and most importantly try to get the highest pick possible "by any means". Because that's how you fix a team.
Yea it worked so well for the Patriots...No wait, I mean the Chiefs. Worked well for them...No? The Rams maybe? Bucs? Hmmmm..
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:52 pm
MJW wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:15 pm

What do you mean by "doing what they're doing?" Tampa has released their high dollar under-performing players. They didn't spend big in free agency. They're doing the same things and they don't have a $35M QB cramping their style, which I'm answering my own question looking at his cap numbers. Ouch. $81M dead cap hit in 2024. Not remotely tradeable this year or next.

The Bucs weren't able to trade their 1st for additional draft capital, but the 19th pick doesn't really have the same value as the 3rd overall, and honestly I think the Cardinals made a terrible mistake passing on Will Anderson.
They've done the only thing they can do, except they should have fired the coach and given the QB reps to someone with actual upside. People are acting like OBP chose not to spend a bunch of money this offseason.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:31 am
Worse still the team shouldn't actually try to get better by developing its players, building chemistry in a scheme, or re-inventing themselves.
Which do you think better describes the 2023 Buccaneers?

"We're developing players, building chemistry, and re-inventing ourselves!"

Or

"We're trying to eek out a few wins to save a doomed regime, wasting a season in the process?"
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Yeah...I think the vast majority of teams have a pretty good idea if they're legit contenders for a ring or not. Once a generation a team might shock everyone - at most. But the other thousand times, the teams that look like they have no ability to win a title look that way because they don't. Of course, this involves critical thinking, not absurd blanket statemetns.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Based Slater!

MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:51 pm Based Slater!

Honestly at this point, just do away with the middleman. Be done with kickoffs. That's what they want to do anyway. Offense gets the ball on the 25. And instead of the Onside Kick, just do that "One Play, 4th and 15" thing that's been discussed for years. It'd be 10x more exciting than onside kicks anyway.
Let's roll another joint