The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:57 am What does Trevor Lawrence is HIM, mean?
I believe it means that he is dat dood
Trevor Lawrence is not the QB in the clip.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:32 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 am

I believe it means that he is dat dood
But, other than that minor detail, TL is HIM!
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:40 pm We have no reason to believe Jordan Love will amount to anything. Time will tell.
To follow up on this, I’m really not seeing it with Jordan Love. I’d be very surprised if he’s still the guy in GB in 24 months.
Snake

Post by Snake »

JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

Snake wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 pm
Snake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:40 pm We have no reason to believe Jordan Love will amount to anything. Time will tell.
To follow up on this, I’m really not seeing it with Jordan Love. I’d be very surprised if he’s still the guy in GB in 24 months.
What did he go for? 7-10 and a TD? Not a bad performance for preseason (just looking at stat line).
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:45 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:32 pm

But, other than that minor detail, TL is HIM!

At first I thought TL's wife with would control his NFL experience in a shortened way but now I think she has tasted that money and he has more time..
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Saw this meme, lol, so I figured I'd share.

Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Ron Rivera named Sam Howell as Commanders’ starting QB for Week 1 vs the Arizona Cardinals.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:47 am
Ron Rivera named Sam Howell as Commanders’ starting QB for Week 1 vs the Arizona Cardinals.
Jesus
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Never heard of him.
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:56 pm
Never heard of him.
Ron Rivera coached the Panthers for years. How can you not know him? :D
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:03 am
Jesus
I'd rather have him than Mayfield. They're both going to be bad this year. One of them is still very young. And very inexpensive. And has upside.

We should have given the ball to our "Sam Howell" in Trask, but our future is being controlled by people who are focused on saving their jobs. And winning an extra game or two with Mayfield slightly increases their odds of doing that.

I wonder if Rivera would be doing the same thing, but nobody wanted to make a QB swing with an unsteady ownership situation. Or maybe Rivera cares more about evaluating and growing young talent for the future of his franchise more than his immediate future. One might even suggest such a mentality is why one guy coached a team to the Superbowl and the other one couldn't win a home playoff game with Tom Brady. Dunno.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

MJW wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Jesus
I'd rather have him than Mayfield. They're both going to be bad this year. One of them is still very young. And very inexpensive. And has upside.
Jesus?

Still very young? My man is over 2000 years old.

Very inexpensive? Tell that to Pontius Pilate and The Ottoman Empire.

Has upside? Where do you go after you walk on water and come back from the dead? All downhill.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

MJW wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Jesus

We should have given the ball to our "Sam Howell" in Trask, but our future is being controlled by people who are focused on saving their jobs. And winning an extra game or two with Mayfield slightly increases their odds of doing that.

I wonder if Rivera would be doing the same thing, but nobody wanted to make a QB swing with an unsteady ownership situation. Or maybe Rivera cares more about evaluating and growing young talent for the future of his franchise more than his immediate future. One might even suggest such a mentality is why one guy coached a team to the Superbowl and the other one couldn't win a home playoff game with Tom Brady. Dunno.
Great post
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Pfft I heard he can't even help with hitting a curveball
Snake

Post by Snake »

Showing a ton of situational awareness too.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

We’re highlighting incompletions now?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:52 pm We’re highlighting incompletions now?
If I’m looking at a single play, I’m watching for traits over production.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:46 pm

Showing a ton of situational awareness too.
His offensive line is going to do him no favors this season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He doesn't need an OL. He's a #1 pick and will lead the Panthers to multiple Super Bowls.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I really think some are underestimating Baker. This is his last shot and he knows it. But also if he plays above expectations he is still young enough to carry us the rest of the decade.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:06 pm He doesn't need an OL. He's a #1 pick and will lead the Panthers to multiple Super Bowls.
Would you rather have Bryce Young the next ten years, or Trasilisk?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Not my favorite band, but Mr Brightside is a bona fide party anthem and it's nice to have a rock band potentially booking the super bowl halftime show for the first time in years.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:37 pm I really think some are underestimating Baker. This is his last shot and he knows it. But also if he plays above expectations he is still young enough to carry us the rest of the decade.
Please stop.

He's been in the league almost as long as Patrick Mahomes. He is what he is. He could probably develop *slightly* more into a better version of what he is. But he's a bust as the #1 pick. He's been dumped by 3 teams in a little over a year. The absolute pinnacle of his career was a season that would be mediocre for Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr, who are themselves meh players.

We have plenty of film and moments with Mayfield at this point to evaluate him accurately. Not doing so is a choice to embrace imagination over information. And I get it. I'm a draft nerd. I'm not going to pretend his draft status or the earlier appraisals of his potential aren't appealing. But dude...there are dudes in the NFL right now who were in middle school the last time Baker was in college.

We know what he is.
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:52 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:37 pm I really think some are underestimating Baker. This is his last shot and he knows it. But also if he plays above expectations he is still young enough to carry us the rest of the decade.
Please stop.

He's been in the league almost as long as Patrick Mahomes. He is what he is. He could probably develop *slightly* more into a better version of what he is. But he's a bust as the #1 pick. He's been dumped by 3 teams in a little over a year. The absolute pinnacle of his career was a season that would be mediocre for Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr, who are themselves meh players.

We have plenty of film and moments with Mayfield at this point to evaluate him accurately. Not doing so is a choice to embrace imagination over information. And I get it. I'm a draft nerd. I'm not going to pretend his draft status or the earlier appraisals of his potential aren't appealing. But dude...there are dudes in the NFL right now who were in middle school the last time Baker was in college.

We know what he is.
Do you one better. He's in the same draft class as Lamar Jackson, a former leage MVP & All-Pro, and Josh Allen, an All-Pro himself. What they've accomplished should be the bar for a former #1 overall pick. And you know what you have with both of them. The light ain't coming on all of a sudden with his 4th team in 6 seasons.
Most hated man in America.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Please stop.

We know what he is.
Do you one better. He's in the same draft class as Lamar Jackson, a former leage MVP & All-Pro, and Josh Allen, an All-Pro himself. What they've accomplished should be the bar for a former #1 overall pick. And you know what you have with both of them. The light ain't coming on all of a sudden with his 4th team in 6 seasons.
Fair enough! Yeah, dude, I dunno. I'm guilty of draft bias sometimes. I think most draft nerds are. But we've clearly reached a point with Mayfield where every argument relies on his draft status, his perceived talent in college (back when Obama was President), and ten minutes where he played roughly as well as a poor man's Ryan Tannehill but it was such a great story that we're pretending he flashed brilliance.

The bottom line is this - if Baker Mayfield had been the exact same player, but he'd gone undrafted for whatever reason, he'd be viewed roughly the way guys like Gardner Minshew and Jacoby Brissett are. He's an amazing backup and you love to have him for that. If he's your starter by design, your mock draft for next year will feature a quarterback in the first round.
Let's roll another joint
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Please stop.

Do I like the idea of drafting high enough to take Williams or Maye next year? Sure.

But I'm not going to stand here at this time, actively rooting against either Baker or Trask to have a bad season (or for Baker not to find success here).

If they start 0-4 or 0-5 and Baker looks like **** then ok..I'll change my stance and be on the Caleb wagon.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Good start by Trask. No help from the run game and one drop.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW just called Baker an nfl mud blood.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Isn't Baker the first QB since Bernie Kosar to lead the Browns past the wild card round. Only to be thrown to the curb the following year.

Edit: Forgot about Testeverde in 94.

If we label "he is what he is" he is definitely someone that accomplished what no QB has been able to accomplish for that organization in almost 30 years. Or one could look at it and say he's the 1st QB in new Browns history, the old Browns being in Baltimore.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:05 am Isn't Baker the first QB since Bernie Kosar to lead the Browns past the wild card round. Only to be thrown to the curb the following year.

If we label "he is what he is" he is definitely someone that accomplished what no QB has been able to accomplish for that organization in almost 30 years. Or one could look at it and say he's the 1st QB in new Browns history, the old Browns being in Baltimore.
That says nothing about Baker, and everything about Cleveland as a franchise.

That’s like saying, “did you know that Winston is the all time leading passer for Tampa, accomplishing what no other qb accomplished in Nearly 50 years?!?”

BARF
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Will the Bears keep PJ Walker or Tyson Bagent?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:36 am
Central_Buc wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:05 am Isn't Baker the first QB since Bernie Kosar to lead the Browns past the wild card round. Only to be thrown to the curb the following year.

That’s like saying, “did you know that Winston is the all time leading passer for Tampa, accomplishing what no other qb accomplished in Nearly 50 years?!?”

BARF
Fair enough. Guess I'm just not as pessimistic about this year as some are.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Central_Buc wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:10 am
acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:36 am

BARF
Fair enough. Guess I'm just not as pessimistic about this year as some are.

So far the main thing that has all our receivers looking good is accuracy and now it will just have to produce when meshed with our front liners.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Watching the Balt. v Wash preseason game and the refs are not calling penalties just yet.

Josh Johnson looking good for the Ravens opening series