The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:58 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:55 pm

No, more like, "what can I expect you to do for me going forward." I don't believe in "lifetime achievement" job security. I want to win more rings.
You lost me a little. You said the 49ers fans don't have any reason to complain about the way their organization is being run. They're 29-21 the last 3 years in the regular season. The Bucs are 33-18 the last 3 years. The 49ers are 4-2 in the playoffs. The Bucs are 5-2 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl win. Yet, you complain constantly about how this organization is being run when they're literally outperforming the 49ers.

That doesn't earn these guys job security in your eyes?
Re-read the post you're quoting.

A rocket ship heading to the moon passes a dog turd that was thrown off a rooftop. For a moment, they're at the same altitude. But it's not going to end well for the falling turd.

Last year, they were on their way to their 3rd AFCCG in 4 years. We were on our way to a fraudulent division title and an embarrassing exit. Their roster improved significantly. Ours got worse. And when the rocket ship and the turd made contact in the air, the result was 35-7. And that was with Tom Brady.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:01 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:23 am

It's not what it seems. I saw the video clip. Sherman had just stated that CB was a much tougher position to play than WR and Keyshawn and Irvin went ballistic. It was a pretty funny moment.
So what is the harder position to play?
The WR knows what the play is. The CB has to react. The CB also has to provide run support and tackle.
It's much harder to play CB than it is to be a WR. Not even close.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:01 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:23 am

It's not what it seems. I saw the video clip. Sherman had just stated that CB was a much tougher position to play than WR and Keyshawn and Irvin went ballistic. It was a pretty funny moment.
So what is the harder position to play?
The WR knows what the play is. The CB has to react. The CB also has to provide run support and tackle.
Well, I’m certainly not qualified to say. I’ve never played either. lol
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:06 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:58 pm

You lost me a little. You said the 49ers fans don't have any reason to complain about the way their organization is being run. They're 29-21 the last 3 years in the regular season. The Bucs are 33-18 the last 3 years. The 49ers are 4-2 in the playoffs. The Bucs are 5-2 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl win. Yet, you complain constantly about how this organization is being run when they're literally outperforming the 49ers.

That doesn't earn these guys job security in your eyes?

A rocket ship heading to the moon passes a dog turd that was thrown off a rooftop. For a moment, they're at the same altitude. But it's not going to end well for the falling turd.

Last year, they were on their way to their 3rd AFCCG in 4 years. We were on our way to a fraudulent division title and an embarrassing exit. Their roster improved significantly. Ours got worse. And when the rocket ship and the turd made contact in the air, the result was 35-7. And that was with Tom Brady.
Call me crazy, but I’ll take the dog turd for the SB win.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:25 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:06 pm

Not arguing otherwise. But I have zero faith OBP, as currently constituted, will ever get close to those heights again. And frankly, besides Licht, it's already a different group of people.

I have no interest in playing, "You won us a Superbowl in the past, so the future doesn't matter." The future matters, and it's as bright as an Arizona State general studies major.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

"I have no faith in people who have repeatedly been to the mountain top getting us to the mountain top." Okay pal.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

We blow up the whole thing immediately after winning the Superbowl next time. You ain't catching lightning in a bottle twice with uppity players.

Next man up. You don't deserve to win unless you've suffered first. The football gods demand it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:55 pm "I have no faith in people who have repeatedly been to the mountain top getting us to the mountain top." Okay pal.
You mean Licht, right? Because the coach is different, the culture is different, the locker room is different, etc. Licht is still here. The idea that wanting to do better is disloyal to the "mountain top people" is misleading. Arians is gone. Brady is gone. About half the roster is turned over and has been replaced by nothing.

As for Licht, he ain't getting another 7 years to take us back. And with as bad as the post-title drafts have been, it wouldn't be enough anyway.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

From Licht to Spytek, from Bowles to Moore to Canales.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:34 pm From Licht to Spytek, from Bowles to Moore to Canales.
It was BA's and Brady's show. That era is over. Bowles's track record of failure is well documented. As is Mayfield's. Licht? Generously, 6 awful drafts out of 9, 2023 TBD.

Again, it's over. The next Bucs team to win a chip will have very few of the people involved with the last chip. We can bloviate all we want. We're in 2006 right now. 2002 wasn't coming through that door again. Nor is 2020 now.
Let's roll another joint
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Idk, it's so unenjoyable to look at everything negative all the time. It just depends how well our drafts go moving forward. If it doesn't pan out, no where to go but up.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:29 pm Idk, it's so unenjoyable to look at everything negative all the time. It just depends how well our drafts go moving forward. If it doesn't pan out, no where to go but up.
I don't consider it negative though. It's part of a cycle. Almost every team in the league is subject to it. Even the ones that seem like they aren't (Steelers, Pats, Pack, etc) go through periods of mediocrity. I don't begrudge anyone their optimism either way. But when you ask me to pretend Todd Bowles deserves his job, or Baker Mayfield is some undiscovered gem, I'm not inclined to play along with the delusion. I can't remember if it was George Carlin, Jon Stewart, or Bill Maher (I think Maher?) but one of them had a great bit about how we don't need less cynicism, we need less stupid. Telling me Bowles is going to learn how to coach in Year 7 and Dave Canales is the next Bill Walsh and Baker Mayfield just needed more time is stupid.
Let's roll another joint
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:41 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:29 pm Idk, it's so unenjoyable to look at everything negative all the time. It just depends how well our drafts go moving forward. If it doesn't pan out, no where to go but up.
I don't consider it negative though. It's part of a cycle. Almost every team in the league is subject to it. Even the ones that seem like they aren't (Steelers, Pats, Pack, etc) go through periods of mediocrity. I don't begrudge anyone their optimism either way. But when you ask me to pretend Todd Bowles deserves his job, or Baker Mayfield is some undiscovered gem, I'm not inclined to play along with the delusion. I can't remember if it was George Carlin, Jon Stewart, or Bill Maher (I think Maher?) but one of them had a great bit about how we don't need less cynicism, we need less stupid. Telling me Bowles is going to learn how to coach in Year 7 and Dave Canales is the next Bill Walsh and Baker Mayfield just needed more time is stupid.
Fair enough and yeah everyone, everything goes through cycles. I don't think Bowels is HC material but I don't think hes stupid either. I do think this team can in spite of Bowles.

Im also just generally pumped up for a new season. Its the best time of year.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Jax needs a nose tackle - we couldnt trade Deadrin Senat for a 7th?

Never mind they just signed Angelo Blackson
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Leave it to mdb to get things back on track.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:50 pm
Buc2 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:25 pm
Not arguing otherwise. But I have zero faith OBP, as currently constituted, will ever get close to those heights again. And frankly, besides Licht, it's already a different group of people.

I have no interest in playing, "You won us a Superbowl in the past, so the future doesn't matter." The future matters, and it's as bright as an Arizona State general studies major.
Hey...I probably won't be alive for our next run, so I ain't gonna complain about what it cost the future of this team in order to get that last one. :D

And, yes, I will still bitch about crap coaches, crap QBs, crap rosters, and crap ownership for as long as they are crap.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bengals rookie WR Andrei Iosivas reveals how to pronounce his last name

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/benga ... 3F,Iosivas.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Oof

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

All of which will be made up once he signs a new deal
Most hated man in America.