Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by kaimaru »

Rocker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:00 pm I know he can do work from the slot, but I’d really like to see him get more snaps outside. He kills on the intermediate crossing routes.
Canales has already mentioned him playing more outside or on the boundary. I'm excited
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I haven't forgotten how great this offense was in 20-21, but I'm so excited to see something different after it crashed and burned in 2022.

Boots/roll-outs/waggles, new emphasis on and wrinkles in the run game, Godwin outside. These are exciting changes for the better.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's a completely new offense. People make it seem like because many of the "pieces" are the same it means the same menu, but it doesn't work like that at all.

You give 5 different chefs the exact same kitchen you'll get 5 different meals. This is so much more than "going from Brady to Baker/Trask".
Snake

Post by Snake »

Right. We have a new (unknown) chef, and worse ingredients.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:32 pm It's a completely new offense. People make it seem like because many of the "pieces" are the same it means the same menu, but it doesn't work like that at all.

You give 5 different chefs the exact same kitchen you'll get 5 different meals. This is so much more than "going from Brady to Baker/Trask".
"It was all Leftwich's fault" is the new "He just needs more time."
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:32 pm It's a completely new offense. People make it seem like because many of the "pieces" are the same it means the same menu, but it doesn't work like that at all.

Leftwich’s firing has @Doctor in some sort of purgatory. The Bucs don’t make mistakes! But, who else do we blame for the offensive struggles last season? Or do we twist a bunch of incompatible thoughts together and saw everyone was great and no mistakes were made!
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Play calling was horrible last year, not hard to see

Saying that does not mean no fault is on the players
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

This year we have expectations for new players.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s a combination of not having Jensen, Marpet, Gronk, AB, or a healthy Godwin, having a distracted Brady and then Leftwich not being able to adjust to those already crippling factors.

Not to mention flat out ignoring analytics. Refusing to run play action. Calling the most first down runs in neutral situations in the NFL. Refusing to run in the red zone. And just being generally predictable all around.

Cluster-eff.

Sadly for the tankathon crew our offense is likely to be much improved over last year.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:09 pm

It’s a combination of not having Jensen, Marpet, Gronk, AB, or a healthy Godwin, having a distracted Brady and then Leftwich not being able to adjust to those already crippling factors.

Not to mention flat out ignoring analytics. Refusing to run play action. Calling the most first down runs in neutral situations in the NFL. Refusing to run in the red zone. And just being generally predictable all around.

Cluster-eff.

Sadly for the tankathon crew our offense is likely to be much improved over last year.
Truth.

Also, Smith’s spiral, the complete lack of being able to run the ball effectively, plus our new #3 Gage being hurt and a non-factor most of the year and no one else stepping up as a reliable target.

That’s just on offense, and I’m sure there were more to list before getting to the defensive issues.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 pm Play calling was horrible last year, not hard to see

Saying that does not mean no fault is on the players
This is a rational take.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Not going to read through 50 pages of content, but am I the only one who thinks Canales was brought in to replace Bowles?

This supposition is entirely based on if his offense can be at least mid-tier given who we will be trotting out behind center.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Except OBP and fans in general truly believe it was all Leftwich's fault and his firing would solve and and all issues....Are people backing away from this now?
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Rocker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:48 pm Not going to read through 50 pages of content, but am I the only one who thinks Canales was brought in to replace Bowles?

This supposition is entirely based on if his offense can be at least mid-tier given who we will be trotting out behind center.
So Dirk Koetter 2.0 then?

Tell me this franchise isn't that predictable. There's also no indication a guy who's in his 1st year as an NFL OC & playcaller is ready or even capable of taking the helm at HC.
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

No one thinks that Canales is going to be the next HC. Leftwich just historically sucked as an OC. His play calling and designs were from a different era. It is hard to adequately describe how the Bucs offense was incredibly poor in every single aspect. Leftwich could not gameplay for our weaknesses or for the opposing teams possible inefficient area’s. Definitely addition by subtraction!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

njdungeoneer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:37 pm No one thinks that Canales is going to be the next HC. Leftwich just historically sucked as an OC. His play calling and designs were from a different era. It is hard to adequately describe how the Bucs offense was incredibly poor in every single aspect. Leftwich could not gameplay for our weaknesses or for the opposing teams possible inefficient area’s. Definitely addition by subtraction!
It's worse than that.

Leftwich probably could gameplan effectively if he wanted to, but he said at MULTIPLE press conferences that he didn't gameplan at all. "We are just going to run our offense" and "you can't change what you do week-to-week" and so on.

Dude had the coaching acumen of a burrito.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ironic, given all I heard last year was how much it was Leftwhichs fault...
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:17 pm

Except OBP and fans in general truly believe it was all Leftwich's fault and his firing would solve and and all issues....Are people backing away from this now?
If we had the same team as last year, yeah, it would have solved a lot of issues short of the damage done by all the injuries. We wasted Brady's last year with Fatwich being among the worst OC's in Bucs history.

With a healthier season and nearly anyone else alive as OC, we are still contenders. Maybe not Champs, we weren't as talented as the title winning team, but contenders.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Damn these two guys look like shit. For most any other NFL team this would be a battle for 3rd string qb.

https://clutchpoints.com/buccaneers-new ... b-williams
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 pm Tell me this franchise isn't that predictable. There's also no indication a guy who's in his 1st year as an NFL OC & playcaller is ready or even capable of taking the helm at HC.
Yeah, that would be like promoting a 1st year DB Coach to HC. No team would ever do that - again.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

JackBootedThug wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 am
Bootz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 pm Tell me this franchise isn't that predictable. There's also no indication a guy who's in his 1st year as an NFL OC & playcaller is ready or even capable of taking the helm at HC.
Yeah, that would be like promoting a 1st year DB Coach to HC. No team would ever do that - again.
Shit, him too. The Bucs love repeating the same mistakes over and over and hoping for different results.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Navybuc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 am Damn these two guys look like shit. For most any other NFL team this would be a battle for 3rd string qb.

If they were both hitting every pass perfectly, people would say..."muhhh...it's just practice" No reason we shouldn't say that when they look bad, too.

That being said, any realistic fan's expectations are about as tall as a grasshopper, so none of this should be surprising.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It's not all that difficult to edit a 1-2 minute clip of video to make a QB look bad, or good. I've watched a few of them indicating how woefully inaccurate they both are and after an initial miss there are multiple throws on the numbers.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

• Trask took reps with the second-string offense again on Tuesday, but head coach Todd Bowles said that both Trask and Baker Mayfield were alternating days as the starter. The third-year quarterback had a strong finish to practice, throwing a touchdown to undrafted free agent receiver Kade Warner in the end zone, and launching a low strike to undrafted free agent receiver Ryan Miller, who made a great diving catch.

• Mayfield took starting reps once again and overcame a somewhat slow start to catch fire at the end of practice. He showed great anticipation hitting Warner on a quick slant and following that up with a dart to sixth-round pick Trey Palmer on a skinny post. Mayfield also showed great patience in allowing routes to develop just outside the red zone before finding a wide open Rakim Jarrett for a score. Once inside the red zone, Mayfield showed off his scrambling ability on a designed QB keeper end-around for a rushing touchdown.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Brady wasted his own year and probably should've stayed retired. We'd be a full season into the Trask experiment and had avoided some less than stellar resignings.

Of course you welcome him back in, but it really threw a wrench in a lot of the planning. But what's done is done, we pivot. And I think we've done about the best darn job we could in the pivot to give ourselves the best chance to 3peat the division but still hedge our bets for next season.

In the very likely event we need to pivot at QB next offseason we'll at least have a year in our new offense for our WRs and our revamped OL, a (hopefully) established run game with White and Tucker, and a top 5 defense. Pretty much the ideal situation you'd want for a new QB.
In the unlikely event a QB emerges. Well by golly we'll have all that plus a QB.

So while Brady may have knocked us off the Arians Trask transition plan, the majority of the reload is still in play.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:49 am Brady wasted his own year and probably should've stayed retired. We'd be a full season into the Trask experiment and had avoided some less than stellar resignings.

Of course you welcome him back in, but it really threw a wrench in a lot of the planning. But what's done is done, we pivot. And I think we've done about the best darn job we could in the pivot to give ourselves the best chance to 3peat the division but still hedge our bets for next season.

In the very likely event we need to pivot at QB next offseason we'll at least have a year in our new offense for our WRs and our revamped OL, a (hopefully) established run game with White and Tucker, and a top 5 defense. Pretty much the ideal situation you'd want for a new QB.
In the unlikely event a QB emerges. Well by golly we'll have all that plus a QB.

So while Brady may have knocked us off the Arians Trask transition plan, the majority of the reload is still in play.
This completely ignores the QB search the Bucs went on prior to Brady coming back, but sure...we can pretend that they planned on Trask being the starter last season.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 am
Navybuc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 am Damn these two guys look like shit. For most any other NFL team this would be a battle for 3rd string qb.

If they were both hitting every pass perfectly, people would say..."muhhh...it's just practice" No reason we shouldn't say that when they look bad, too.

That being said, any realistic fan's expectations are about as tall as a grasshopper, so none of this should be surprising.
I get that…but damn… a couple of those were really bad. There’s a video circulating with them and clown music. Brings back memories of ‘76. Just can’t believe these are our two options.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Navybuc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:58 am
acmillis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 am

I get that…but damn… a couple of those were really bad. There’s a video circulating with them and clown music. Brings back memories of ‘76. Just can’t believe these are our two options.
You can't be let down if your expectations are non-existant
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
Navybuc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:58 am

You can't be let down if your expectations are non-existant
I keep playing that song “All I need is a miracle” as I look at the Bucs poster in my room. Hey, if Nike can sign Michael Jordan, maybe Baker Mayfield can become Tom Brady.

“All I need is a miracle.”
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Cluster-eff.

I don't know that we will be improved but we will be different on offense
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

@MJW getting her wish

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I watched those clips earlier. There's another couple minutes in that video where the ball never touches the ground. :shrug:
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:01 pm

Cluster-eff.

I don't know that we will be improved but we will be different on offense
I think they can improve on 25th in points.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:07 pm @MJW getting her wish

That first throw by Baker 🤦‍♂️
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trask probably has 30 rubber ducks in his bathtub.