Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:33 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:08 pm
Wasn't he a middling coach for the Lions when he was their OC?

I wanted the Bucs to swing for the fences. This is a bunt.
Thing is, someone has to want to take the job.

Put aside the personnel/cap issues, picture this: you're a rising offensive coach. Perhaps a QB coach with a good team. You get a call from the Bucs. They're offering you a promotion. Except, here's the rub: their coach is on a red-hot seat, and frankly, he's not very good. So you might get to be an OC, on a team with no QB and a bad line...for a year. Then it's almost certain you'll be fired when Toilet Bowles is. Your star dimmed. You'll probably end up begging for your old job back from before you left.

We're either going to have to go under the radar with someone rebuilding his stock, like Cooter, or hire young and hope we get a star a year or two before the league discovers him. This is not a good situation for an ascending assistant coach.

(One more reason we should have cleaned house, but I digress.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Excellent points all around.

I'd also add in the fact that the teams #1 hope for the 2023 season is that a now 46 year old QB coming off a bad season returns. Any OC has to realize that if the 46 year old QB and the offense does not perform well, the blame will fall in your lap.
Nano

Post by Nano »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:11 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:11 pm

oh god NO!
He was the Lions OC for a while, right
I believe so. It's hard to tell as most Lions fans just refer to his title as "Football Terrorist"
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

McDardell is a Rooney interview. He has no chance. Pep Hamilton declined to interview for the job.

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:33 pm

Wasn't he a middling coach for the Lions when he was their OC?

I wanted the Bucs to swing for the fences. This is a bunt.

Put aside the personnel/cap issues, picture this: you're a rising offensive coach. Perhaps a QB coach with a good team. You get a call from the Bucs. They're offering you a promotion. Except, here's the rub: their coach is on a red-hot seat, and frankly, he's not very good. So you might get to be an OC, on a team with no QB and a bad line...for a year. Then it's almost certain you'll be fired when Toilet Bowles is. Your star dimmed. You'll probably end up begging for your old job back from before you left.

We're either going to have to go under the radar with someone rebuilding his stock, like Cooter, or hire young and hope we get a star a year or two before the league discovers him. This is not a good situation for an ascending assistant coach.

“I’ll give you (at least) a million dollar/year salary increase and guarantee it for 3 (maybe 4-5) years”

OC candidate: “nah, I’m not interested.”

I don’t think that’s how that convo would go
MJW

Post by MJW »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 pm

“I’ll give you (at least) a million dollar/year salary increase and guarantee it for 3 (maybe 4-5) years”

OC candidate: “nah, I’m not interested.”

I don’t think that’s how that convo would go
I didn't think assistant coach salaries were guaranteed?

Okay, think of it like this. Let's take Brian Johnson, the Eagles QB Coach and a very popular name here. Let's say we call and offer him a job. He has two choices:

One, leave Philly for Tampa. He has no idea who his quarterback will be. He has no idea how much of a shadow Bruce Arians will cast over the offense. He has no idea how much longer Todd Bowles will be here. He has a pretty good idea what'll happen to him when Bowles gets fired, though.

Two, stay in Philly. Ascend to OC in the very near future when Shane Steichen gets a head coaching job. Continue working with Jalen Hurts, AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, etc. Instantly move to the top of everyone's head coaching radar simply by not regressing. And in the meantime, work for a guy who is at zero risk of being fired any time in the near future.

You really think Johnson is picking Tampa? He'd have to be insane. He'd be in a position where he could be GREAT at his job and still get fired at the end of the year.

The time to hire Brian Johnson as our OC was when we hired Steichen to be our Head Coach. We went another direction. In the meantime, nobody whose star is on the rise is going to hitch their wagon to this situation. Bowles is on the hot seat. Licht is on the hot seat. We don't have a quarterback. Our line is in shambles. There will be no money for the new OC to go shopping. It's frankly a bad gig right now if a coach has options.

Best thing we can do? Make David Shaw the highest paid OC in the league. If he can help elevate this turd, he'll get a HC job next year. If the team falls apart, he has the chops to ascend from Bowles's ashes.

But, we won't do that. It'll be JB Cooter, or someone similar who needs to revive (or begin) their career. That's what happens when you don't clear out a rotten foundation.
Let's roll another joint
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:08 pm
Looney Rule interview. Bucs are required to interview at least two candidates to make Bucs fans go ape shit.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We should replace Tom Moore with Larry Kehres.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

As I understand it, coordinator gigs are not subject to the Rooney rule.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bowles has been HC for all of one season and he's already the rotten foundation, okay...
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 am Bowles has been HC for all of one season and he's already the rotten foundation, okay...
You don't think that's long enough for a mediocre, loser coach to erode a team? Do you know who Ray Handley was? Barry Switzer?
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:14 am
Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 am Bowles has been HC for all of one season and he's already the rotten foundation, okay...
You don't think that's long enough for a mediocre, loser coach to erode a team? Do you know who Ray Handley was? Barry Switzer?
Urban Meyer. Chip Kelly. Hue Jackson. Les Steckel. It's a long list of first-year HC firings.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

How bad was Hue Jackson?

Watch this master class of awful leadership.

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Erode a team?? We knew this break up was coming! Its been long in the making. Why are we acting like there was a crime committed?
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

I really blame the Glazers and Arians.

If I am reading the potential OC hires, I would call in Bowles into the office and fire him ASAP. I thought he would take a better approach to the coaching staff.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:43 am Erode a team?? We knew this break up was coming! Its been long in the making. Why are we acting like there was a crime committed?
We had one more viable year with Brady and a veteran team. We wasted it on Todd Bowles. It isn't more complicated than that.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Seriously? It was more of a text from your ex saying she's in town than a true viable year.

If anything someone could argue the opposite, that Bradys returned wasted our Arians-Trask year we'll never get to see now.

The crime against Bowles is having not magically fixed OC mid-season. Like come on.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:00 pm Seriously? It was more of a text from your ex saying she's in town than a true viable year.

If anything someone could argue the opposite, that Bradys returned wasted our Arians-Trask year we'll never get to see now.

The crime against Bowles is having not magically fixed OC mid-season. Like come on.
Correct. He was not in position to select an OC due to Arians March 10 retirement. Bowles was stuck with the staff Arians handed to him.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I didn’t even know McCardell was coaching now. Would be something if we replaced a former Buc player OC with another.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:19 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:00 pm Seriously? It was more of a text from your ex saying she's in town than a true viable year.

Correct. He was not in position to select an OC due to Arians March 10 retirement. Bowles was stuck with the staff Arians handed to him.
There wasn't even time to select another DC.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:45 pm
Primeminister wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:19 pm

There wasn't even time to select another DC.
This is why I can support giving him another year with the opportunity to run his own ship.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Why
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

The Broncos were awesome on Offense this Year......at this point let's get a USFL coach
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Heisenberg wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:43 pmWhy
See that last name? That's why. The only reason why.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Buccabeer wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:55 pm The Broncos were awesome on Offense this Year......at this point let's get a USFL coach
I mean...I'd take Todd Haley.
Nano

Post by Nano »

This was actually his 2nd interview with us. He'd probably be considered the favorite right now.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I sworn I’ve seen him somewhere? Was he the OC for the Vikings? Pass!!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Who cares that he comes from the #32 offense from a year ago. Who cares that he coordinated the #19 passing game that he was in charge of. Who cares that the Vikings offense he coordinated in 2021 was middle of the pack. He's a Kubiak, guys!!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Let the tank begin.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 pm Who cares that he comes from the #32 offense from a year ago. Who cares that he coordinated the #19 passing game that he was in charge of. Who cares that the Vikings offense he coordinated in 2021 was middle of the pack. He's a Kubiak, guys!!
We get it, you like him. WE DO NOT…

Deal with it
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 pm
Let the tank begin.
My thought exactly.

Why not Mike Kafka, Bobby Slowik, or Duce Staley?? Tons of better candidates out there.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:45 pm Who cares that he comes from the #32 offense from a year ago. Who cares that he coordinated the #19 passing game that he was in charge of. Who cares that the Vikings offense he coordinated in 2021 was middle of the pack. He's a Kubiak, guys!!
We get it, you like him. WE DO NOT…

Deal with it
So robots can't detect sarcasm after all.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Nano wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:22 pm This was actually his 2nd interview with us. He'd probably be considered the favorite right now.
Tank confirmed! I like it!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I mean, does it really matter? Bowles is likely gonna be fired after next season. The coaching staff usually then changes with the new HC. This team is about to get gutted and we are gonna have to rebuild like the Jags did. Ask Jacksonville fans…it was painful what they went through before Doug Pederson got there and they had all those #1s. We are about to experience that same kind of pain.

Buckle up boys and girls…the next few years are gonna be rlvery rocky.