Brady Retiring

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Max

Re: Brady Retiring

Post by Max »

It's a controversial take but I don't think Belichick had much to do with the Patriots dynasty. He hasn't done shit before he got Brady and hasn't done shit since he left. 10 seasons as a head coach, losing record, only one playoff win.

Whatever people think he does well, it hasn't helped him win many games when he didn't have Brady at QB.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Max wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:27 pm It's a controversial take but I don't think Belichick had much to do with the Patriots dynasty. He hasn't done shit before he got Brady and hasn't done shit since he left. 10 seasons as a head coach, losing record, only one playoff win.

Whatever people think he does well, it hasn't helped him win many games when he didn't have Brady at QB.
If you're confused about what Belichick does well, you're too young to remember Superbowl XXV. I could go down how many great defenses, gameplans, and personnel decisions he's made over his career, but Superbowl XXV was the greatest coaching job I've ever seen, and it wasn't because of Parcells (who didn't win a thing once Belichick left him.)

Or, if you just want to talk about as a HC, try Superbowl XXXVI, against the unstoppable Rams. Brady had the winning drive at the end. A lesser coach and he never gets that shot, because the Rams were incredible on offense that year.

Two, Tom Brady was not That Guy until 2007. Icewater in his veins, always. Accurate, smart as hell, bigger than the moment, all that. But in terms of raw production? From 2001-2006, the Patriots won three Superbowls. Brady averaged 24 TDs and 13 INTs a year. They were carried by defense, running, and great gameplans. He was the modern day Troy Aikman, making clutch throws but generally asked to compliment what was in place. Belichick deserves the lionshare of the credit for those wins.

Have the Patriots underachieved since he left? Maybe? Wasting a year with Cam Newton was a mistake. Wasting a year with Matt Patricia was another mistake. But I'll make you a deal - we'll see what happens this year, with a healthy Mac Jones and Bill O'Brien calling the plays.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Max

Post by Max »

MJW wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:50 pm
Max wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:27 pm It's a controversial take but I don't think Belichick had much to do with the Patriots dynasty. He hasn't done shit before he got Brady and hasn't done shit since he left. 10 seasons as a head coach, losing record, only one playoff win.

If you're confused about what Belichick does well, you're too young to remember Superbowl XXV. I could go down how many great defenses, gameplans, and personnel decisions he's made over his career, but Superbowl XXV was the greatest coaching job I've ever seen, and it wasn't because of Parcells (who didn't win a thing once Belichick left him.)

Or, if you just want to talk about as a HC, try Superbowl XXXVI, against the unstoppable Rams. Brady had the winning drive at the end. A lesser coach and he never gets that shot, because the Rams were incredible on offense that year.

Two, Tom Brady was not That Guy until 2007. Icewater in his veins, always. Accurate, smart as hell, bigger than the moment, all that. But in terms of raw production? From 2001-2006, the Patriots won three Superbowls. Brady averaged 24 TDs and 13 INTs a year. They were carried by defense, running, and great gameplans. He was the modern day Troy Aikman, making clutch throws but generally asked to compliment what was in place. Belichick deserves the lionshare of the credit for those wins.

Have the Patriots underachieved since he left? Maybe? Wasting a year with Cam Newton was a mistake. Wasting a year with Matt Patricia was another mistake. But I'll make you a deal - we'll see what happens this year, with a healthy Mac Jones and Bill O'Brien calling the plays.
6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
5-11
11-5
7-9
10-7
8-9

That's 3 winning seasons out of 10. I really don't care about the media narrative stuff when he's been a poor man's Jeff Fisher without Brady at QB.

10 seasons is a meaningful sample size.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It goes both ways. Very few quarterbacks are winning anything without a good coach. Almost no coaches are winning multiple Super Bowls without a great quarterback.

The biggest stain on Belichick is the uneven general managing record that has titled towards bad
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The only QB with multiple rings right now is Jimmy G.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:28 pm The only QB with multiple rings right now is Jimmy G.
His shouldnt be as highly polished.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Wow, they hate each other frfr…lol

Snake

Post by Snake »

Tom is funny. He had a long interview with Colin cowherd. Cowherd asks him if there’s any chance at all that he could come back in the future… Tom totally deflects the question and doesn’t answer it lol.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm Tom is funny. He had a long interview with Colin cowherd. Cowherd asks him if there’s any chance at all that he could come back in the future… Tom totally deflects the question and doesn’t answer it lol.
Wait, Cowherd got an interview with Brady?? And Skip Bayless has never so much as met him?! HA! Even more validation as to how pathetic Bayless is.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:19 pm Tom is funny. He had a long interview with Colin cowherd. Cowherd asks him if there’s any chance at all that he could come back in the future… Tom totally deflects the question and doesn’t answer it lol.
His decision wasnt an easy one - he may need to go to the dog park and just talk to some old people.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Personally, I think a winning Brady was not good for the NFL. It showed how far behind all these scrubs were in winning. So, bad for the NFL equates to bad for the broadcasters, wouldnt surprise me if others are helping with that huge FOX contract.

I think Mike Evans three banger was something that could have been much more frequent - instead they turned it into a magic moment.
If we kill it in the draft, I will be even more convinced of what I'm saying.
Puss in Boots

Post by Puss in Boots »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:48 pm So, bad for the NFL equates to bad for the broadcasters, wouldnt surprise me if others are helping with that huge FOX contract.
Does anything happen that you do not think is directly attributable to some dipshit conspiracy theory?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Puss in Boots wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:13 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:48 pm So, bad for the NFL equates to bad for the broadcasters, wouldnt surprise me if others are helping with that huge FOX contract.
Does anything happen that you do not think is directly attributable to some dipshit conspiracy theory?
Well he does think the 2020 election was rigged so……(no, I’m not making this about politics).
MJW

Post by MJW »

You ever think about what a "conspiracy" actually is? It's two or more people deciding to lie to the world because it's in their best interests to do so. Basically every time Roger Goodell talks publicly, FWIW.

That said, I have no idea what MDB is saying here.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:29 pm

You ever think about what a "conspiracy" actually is? It's two or more people deciding to lie to the world because it's in their best interests to do so. Basically every time Roger Goodell talks publicly, FWIW.
That’s some funny shit right there.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Al Bundy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am Just like that, the Buccaneers are 1PM getting the worst announcers unless they play a winning team and are picking top 5 with hopefully a new coaching staff and new GM.
If that is the case, here is hoping for Caleb Williams or whoever else is high up there coming out QBs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady is so awesome

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If I missed it posted elsewhere, my apologies.
Tom Brady agrees to deal for ownership stake in Las Vegas Raiders
MAY 23, 2023 PETER SBLENDORIO - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tom Brady has reached a deal to become a minority owner of the Las Vegas Raiders, according to reports.

The seven-time Super Bowl champion’s agreement with Raiders owner Mark Davis is now pending approval by the NFL, CBS Sports reported Monday.

Brady, 45, retired from the NFL in February after 23 seasons with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The following month, the former quarterback became a minority owner of the Las Vegas Aces, the WNBA team owned by Davis.

Brady’s discussions to join the Raiders as a limited partner began weeks before they were first reported by ESPN this month. He reportedly received approval to pursue the venture from Fox Sports, where he’s set to become a football analyst during the 2024 season on a 10-year, $375 million contract.

Brady isn’t expected to have any operational control of the Raiders, according to ESPN.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Pretty sure this will make him ineligible to return to play no?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 am Pretty sure this will make him ineligible to return to play no?
I have no idea about that. There have been player/owners in other sports, IIRC. Not sure about the NFL, though.
Don't tread on me
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:34 am Pretty sure this will make him ineligible to return to play no?
There are no rules stating this according to Peter King when Brady wanted part ownership of the Dolphins.

We've seen it in the NBA with Jordan.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

NFL owners or part owners cannot play in games. They'd have to retire 1st.
Most hated man in America.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Even if owners approved it, and I think it unlikely because it opens a door for other senior elite QBs to start demanding ownerships too, and then senior less-eite QBs, and then more junior elite QBs, and then senior elite players from other positions...

Even then, how many games per season would Brady not be able to broadcast for conflict of interest with Raiders' team needs, playoff standings, etc.?

If it were going to be standard, Kraft could have given Tom a one-day contract with part ownership of 0.01 percent of the Patriots, but no.

My final comment on this before finishing lunch is, Tom didn't give away a signed Bucs jersey earlier this month. He's back to being a Patriot for life, and he'll be honored at their first home game. And despite our appreciating his time here, that's probably for the best.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:25 am NFL owners or part owners cannot play in games. They'd have to retire 1st.
Where is that stated?

This is the closest thing I could find.
The NFL doesn’t have a rule forbidding players from owning a team. In fact, George Halas owned the Chicago Staleys, renamed it the Chicago Bears, and played end while coaching. However, current salary cap rules would make it nearly impossible to do that in today’s NFL.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Buc2 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:01 pm If I missed it posted elsewhere, my apologies.
Tom Brady agrees to deal for ownership stake in Las Vegas Raiders
MAY 23, 2023 PETER SBLENDORIO - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tom Brady has reached a deal to become a minority owner of the Las Vegas Raiders, according to reports.

The seven-time Super Bowl champion’s agreement with Raiders owner Mark Davis is now pending approval by the NFL, CBS Sports reported Monday.

Brady, 45, retired from the NFL in February after 23 seasons with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The following month, the former quarterback became a minority owner of the Las Vegas Aces, the WNBA team owned by Davis.

Brady’s discussions to join the Raiders as a limited partner began weeks before they were first reported by ESPN this month. He reportedly received approval to pursue the venture from Fox Sports, where he’s set to become a football analyst during the 2024 season on a 10-year, $375 million contract.

Brady isn’t expected to have any operational control of the Raiders, according to ESPN.
The Glazers should have never let Tom Brady out of One Buc without an offer like this.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

_MB_ wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:01 pm If I missed it posted elsewhere, my apologies.

The Glazers should have never let Tom Brady out of One Buc without an offer like this.
I agree. But we all know they're greedy bastards, so I'm not surprised they didn't.
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:25 am NFL owners or part owners cannot play in games. They'd have to retire 1st.
Where is that stated?

This is the closest thing I could find.
The NFL doesn’t have a rule forbidding players from owning a team. In fact, George Halas owned the Chicago Staleys, renamed it the Chicago Bears, and played end while coaching. However, current salary cap rules would make it nearly impossible to do that in today’s NFL.
No, NFL players cannot own a team because the league’s constitution forbids owners from playing on the field.

So, an NFL player having interest in becoming an owner or co-owner would first have to retire.
https://sportsscouters.com/can-an-nfl-p ... o%20retire.

It was the second link that came up
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Much as I love Tom Brady and appreciate his time here, I as a fan don't need him to be a minority owner in Tampa. And if the Glazers don't want to sell a portion of their team, they shouldn't feel compelled to do so for Brady or anybody else.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Cheb wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:11 pm
Much as I love Tom Brady and appreciate his time here, I as a fan don't need him to be a minority owner in Tampa. And if the Glazers don't want to sell a portion of their team, they shouldn't feel compelled to do so for Brady or anybody else.
You keep that man in the building for the same reason the raiders are.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Right. Why would they sell anything to him?

Mark Davis is doing it because he needs the money.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:14 pm

And what reason is that exactly? He's a minority owner. The Glazers are already sharing the wealth amongst the 5 or 6 siblings and their families. Why bring in someone else when you don't need to? The Glazers have no reason to help Brady build his portfolio.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:41 am
_MB_ wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:14 pm
And what reason is that exactly? He's a minority owner. The Glazers are already sharing the wealth amongst the 5 or 6 siblings and their families. Why bring in someone else when you don't need to? The Glazers have no reason to help Brady build his portfolio.
Yes, why on earth would an NFL franchise want to have that guy in the building?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:19 am
Bootz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:41 am

You've had 2 opportunities to provide an answer and have yet to do so. Still waiting on why they would want to make him a minority owner.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:20 am
_MB_ wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:19 am
You've had 2 opportunities to provide an answer and have yet to do so. Still waiting on why they would want to make him a minority owner.
Keep waiting.