Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 pm You're chasing your own tail.

Overpaying is always bad. Here's a secret, you don't have to overpay. No one is saying to make Baker the next Jalen. But you know this. In your eyes paying ANYTHING for guys that can't win it for you is overpaying. Round and round we go.

Also the whole rookie deal thing is way overblown. For starters a players peak is not 22. Second it usually takes awhile before things get going. Even when you have a rookie hit the road running on fire, they usually stumble some soon after, hence why the term sophomore slump is a thing.

It's always awesome when players have great years and don't cost you much. It's not some magic bullet.
Like I said, you read something, you have no response, so you create their argument to where you can debate it.

I never said anything about giving him Jalen Hurts money... I said "starter money". Let me ask you, as much backing you're giving Mayfield, do you think he'll want less than $30M AAV? Just as an f.y.i., Garoppolo's AAV is $24+M, which ranks 19th. He's the lowest paid "starter" in the NFL who's NOT on a rookie contact.

No, the rookie deal thing isn't overblown, it's misused more than anything. In this case, it's being used properly. The rookie deal thing is applicable when talking about players who are going to be paid more than what they're worth.

Agreed, it is "awesome when players have great years and don't cost you much." What's stupid is paying that person a lot of money to do the same and yield the same results (or worse, because you need to make cuts elsewhere because of that raise).
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

The playoffs aside right now- seems to me the biggest issue is can Baker meld more with the offense to take us into 11-6 + territory or beyond. That is only a two game swing. And seems possible to me.
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:58 pm The playoffs aside right now- seems to me the biggest issue is can Baker meld more with the offense to take us into 11-6 + territory or beyond. That is only a two game swing. And seems possible to me.
100% confident he can.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Think Mayfield earned himself a Geno contract with today's win.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:41 am Think Mayfield earned himself a Geno contract with today's win.
And then some.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 pm:j
LOL!

You must be feeling like a shit huh?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

At this point I hope we can sign him. We won't be the only team interested.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:55 am At this point I hope we can sign him. We won't be the only team interested.
If we offer Mayfield a legitimate contract he won’t go anywhere. He found a place that believed in him and an offense that fits him. If Canales is staying for another year mayfield will sign
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:01 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:55 am At this point I hope we can sign him. We won't be the only team interested.
If we offer Mayfield a legitimate contract he won’t go anywhere. He found a place that believed in him and an offense that fits him. If Canales is staying for another year mayfield will sign
I agree with this. Need to make he and Evans an equal priority. IMO.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:48 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:04 pm:j
LOL!

You must be feeling like a shit huh?
I'm not sure about you, but I feel great.
Capture.JPG
viewtopic.php?p=172513#p172513
Capture1.JPG
viewtopic.php?p=172298#p172298
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: This @Buc2 vs @Phantom beef is the funniest thing I've seen here. Mostly because it's so random & 1 sided
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:48 pm Ouch it’s true

Update to 2, please.

Man, the first few pages of this thread are a GREAT read.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:51 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: This @Buc2 vs @Phantom beef is the funniest thing I've seen here. Mostly because it's so random & 1 sided
It's definitely one-sided because I have no beef with him. He just spouts random shit at me like an old man shouting at clouds. It is pretty damned funny, though.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The Chargers paid Justin Herbert $262mil.....

You know the rest
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:20 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:51 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: This @Buc2 vs @Phantom beef is the funniest thing I've seen here. Mostly because it's so random & 1 sided
It's definitely one-sided because I have no beef with him. He just spouts random shit at me like an old man shouting at clouds. It is pretty damned funny, though.
This is my favorite
Phantom wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:16 am
Buc2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 am I see @Bootz and @13F11B must have made up last night. :D
Nosey little fucker, aren't you?' Get a new hobby old man
Like WTF :lol: :lol:
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

This.
I said what I said

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:13 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:20 pm

This is my favorite
Phantom wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:16 am

Nosey little fucker, aren't you?' Get a new hobby old man
Like WTF :lol: :lol:
It’s just weird as hell
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:04 am

I agree with this. Need to make he and Evans an equal priority. IMO.
Yep. Evans deserves a contract not only because of history, but honestly because he looks like he isn’t slowing down. He has earned another payday and either we give it to him or another contender will.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Canales really needs to stay. The whole O should be so much better.. and year 1 wasn't too shabby
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:24 pm Yep. Evans deserves a contract not only because of history, but honestly because he looks like he isn’t slowing down. He has earned another payday and either we give it to him or another contender will.
Not only has he earned it but there is also the fact that he has great chemistry with Baker. I assume we keep Baker so why not keep the guy is relying on so much, especially when said guy is a home grown, team first, Bucs who has been our best offensive player of all time. Do it Dom!
Noles1724 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:37 pm Canales really needs to stay. The whole O should be so much better.. and year 1 wasn't too shabby
We are fortunate that this is an epic class of head coaching candidates. There is virtually no way Canales leaves this offseason.

I assume like everyone else that we find a way to keep Baker. If so, we really need to bolster the middle of the line. Losing Marpet and Jensen really gutted our interior blocking. With Mayfield being on the short side, that inside pressure is a big problem. Not to mention that we might want to keep running the ball and we need the blocking.

Edit: I posted that and realized that Jensen never actually retired. What are the odds he comes back for us and plays close to his old level?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If he plays well again in Detroit it’s going to start creeping into top 10 QB money. Justifiably.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm
Right now I think a 3 year 100 mil(with like 70 guaranteed). Puts him between the transition/franchise tag amount and doesn’t marry us long term should things go sideways. Also sets up him for a nice extension should he continue to play well into his 30s.

Would he take that? Who knows.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kona wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:59 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:23 pm
Right now I think a 3 year 100 mil(with like 70 guaranteed). Puts him between the transition/franchise tag amount and doesn’t marry us long term should things go sideways. Also sets up him for a nice extension should he continue to play well into his 30s.

Would he take that? Who knows.
I don’t think he takes that and he would be able to get more elsewhere. We could tag him, but that is going to send the wrong message overall and likely will hurt the Evans negotiations as well. I think we sign him to a real deal or we don’t. If we beat the Lions Baker will absolutely NOT take that deal
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Baker will be closer to what Justin Herbert got than he will a 3 year/$100mil contract. I'm thinking $45mil+/year.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:00 am Baker will be closer to what Justin Herbert got than he will a 3 year/$100mil contract. I'm thinking $45mil+/year.
That’s what I’m thinking as well
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Baker has proven that he’s a good to great QB when healthy. The big issue with him is he’s constantly banged up due to his toughness.

Is he perfect? No. Sometimes he’ll get a little too aggressive, which can lead to turnovers, sacks and injuries. He also has an unusual amount of batted balls at the line due to his height for a pocket passer.

But the good far outweighs the bad. He’s got a great arm, is a good athlete with surprising strength, and top flight intangibles as a competitor.

In terms of contract, we shall see. Think the Derek Carr contract is a good comp but since he’s a FA we might have to overpay as I’m sure a lot of QB needy teams will have interest. But do think Baker wants to stay and has a home. He’s spoken of lacking continuity regarding his offensive system so far in his career and doubt he’d want to restart again. He also seems to fit into this locker room like a glove and has won the team over. It’s clear when you hear guys like Wirfs and Otton make a point to give Mayfield credit even if he’s not the subject the question. Even defensive guys are giving him love when given a chance in an interview.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:00 am Baker will be closer to what Justin Herbert got than he will a 3 year/$100mil contract. I'm thinking $45mil+/year.
Ooof. If it comes to that I’d personally Transition or Franchise tag him. If we have the same success then we can talk 45+ a year.

Guess we’ll see. Not a lot of money to bring back Winfield, Evans, Lavonte, not to mention Wirfs looming extension.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:31 am
Ooof. If it comes to that I’d personally Transition or Franchise tag him. If we have the same success then we can talk 45+ a year.

Guess we’ll see. Not a lot of money to bring back Winfield, Evans, Lavonte, not to mention Wirfs looming extension.
We can't afford a $30mil+ cap hit. No team can honestly. A long term deal allows way more flexibility. 4/180 can be altered for cap purposes. Signing bonus, voidable years, restructures for the future if need be. All of these players with large contracts, look at their cap numbers. They don't touch the AAV of the contract because of how teams have divide them up.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He's kind of a unicorn. There's no real comp for him.

The majority of the big QB deals that have been signed have all been players in their early/mid-20s that are either with their original teams or were traded for (Watson).

Then there's the mid-tier guys like Carr (31) or Geno (32).

Mayfield will be 29. I think you can easily argue he's better than both of those guys. So, Carr's deal +. Something like 4 years and $175M. Spotrac has his estimated at 4 years and $100M+ but if I'm him I'd take that as an insult after the season he's had here playing for literally NFL QB peanuts.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:37 am He's kind of a unicorn. There's no real comp for him.

The majority of the big QB deals that have been signed have all been players in their early/mid-20s that are either with their original teams or were traded for (Watson).

Mayfield will be 29. I think you can easily argue he's better than both of those guys. So, Carr's deal +. Something like 4 years and $175M. Spotrac has his estimated at 4 years and $100M+ but if I'm him I'd take that as an insult after the season he's had here playing for literally NFL QB peanuts.
There's almost an identical comparison available.
QB A: 64.3%, 4044 yards, 28TD/10INT
QB B: 69.8%, 4282 yards, 30TD/11 INT

QB B had a better season, there is no arguing that whatsoever. QB B (GENO SMITH) got 3/75, 40 guaranteed. I offer Baker a very similar deal, maybe 3/81/45, but if he doesn't like it, I'm tagging him to prove this year wasn't a fluke.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:45 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:37 am He's kind of a unicorn. There's no real comp for him.

There's almost an identical comparison available.
QB A: 64.3%, 4044 yards, 28TD/10INT
QB B: 69.8%, 4282 yards, 30TD/11 INT

QB B had a better season, there is no arguing that whatsoever. QB B (GENO SMITH) got 3/75, 40 guaranteed. I offer Baker a very similar deal, maybe 3/81/45, but if he doesn't like it, I'm tagging him to prove this year wasn't a fluke.
Their ages matter. You're getting Baker's prime years. Baker has consistently been a starter. Geno wasn't. Baker has now also won his second playoff game while throwing for 300+ yards and 3 TDs.

And like @Bootz said we can't really afford to tag him. The cap hit is too high. And we might need to use it on AWJR.

Obviously you don't like him and probably don't care if we don't keep him, but there's no way he's signing the same deal Geno did. He'll get much better offers elsewhere.