Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kona

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Kona »

Either way, it’s nice to have this conversation of keeping him vs trying to draft someone early for next season. Licht will find a way to keep Baker around, and I believe it will be somewhat team friendly to try and keep Evans and the others around.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:45 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:37 am He's kind of a unicorn. There's no real comp for him.

The majority of the big QB deals that have been signed have all been players in their early/mid-20s that are either with their original teams or were traded for (Watson).

Then there's the mid-tier guys like Carr (31) or Geno (32).

Mayfield will be 29. I think you can easily argue he's better than both of those guys. So, Carr's deal +. Something like 4 years and $175M. Spotrac has his estimated at 4 years and $100M+ but if I'm him I'd take that as an insult after the season he's had here playing for literally NFL QB peanuts.
There's almost an identical comparison available.
QB A: 64.3%, 4044 yards, 28TD/10INT
QB B: 69.8%, 4282 yards, 30TD/11 INT

QB B had a better season, there is no arguing that whatsoever. QB B (GENO SMITH) got 3/75, 40 guaranteed. I offer Baker a very similar deal, maybe 3/81/45, but if he doesn't like it, I'm tagging him to prove this year wasn't a fluke.
QB B was 32 years old. QB B didn't win his division. QB B didn't win a playoff game. QB B had a much longer history of being a backup and had never had the previous success that QB A previously had. Didn't come close.

These 2 are not in the same neighborhood.
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I think tagging Baker is the ideal situation for Bucs, even if he feels insulted by it. His down years are explainable. But being married to a QB in near long term when he has never produced back to back solid seasons is a big risk.

If the Bucs win the next game with the offense looking pretty good, I can totally see Canales landing a HC job with a situation that very few might have much of an interest in, such as Carolina or Tennessee. With that additional variable, there are no guarantees that Baker is the best QB in NFC South.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:20 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:51 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: This @Buc2 vs @Phantom beef is the funniest thing I've seen here. Mostly because it's so random & 1 sided
It's definitely one-sided because I have no beef with him. He just spouts random shit at me like an old man shouting at clouds. It is pretty damned funny, though.
To be fair, you are an old man shouting at clouds, lol

Several of us here are old men shouting at clouds
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:46 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:20 pm

It's definitely one-sided because I have no beef with him. He just spouts random shit at me like an old man shouting at clouds. It is pretty damned funny, though.

And some of us are none of the above :P
I said what I said

Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:51 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:46 pm

It's a message board, we're all shouting at the clouds, some of us just aren't old men, lol
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:45 am

There's almost an identical comparison available.
QB A: 64.3%, 4044 yards, 28TD/10INT
QB B: 69.8%, 4282 yards, 30TD/11 INT

QB B had a better season, there is no arguing that whatsoever. QB B (GENO SMITH) got 3/75, 40 guaranteed. I offer Baker a very similar deal, maybe 3/81/45, but if he doesn't like it, I'm tagging him to prove this year wasn't a fluke.
QB B was 32 years old. QB B didn't win his division. QB B didn't win a playoff game. QB B had a much longer history of being a backup and had never had the previous success that QB A previously had. Didn't come close.

32 these days means nothing. Also, before I give Baker a shitton of money, I make him prove he can do what he did this year again. In six seasons in the NFL, he's never put together two good seasons in a row. In his bad seasons, (3 of 6), he's completed less than 60% of his passes which is unacceptable in today's NFL. In his bad seasons, he's thrown a combined 49 TDs against 42 INTs. Again, he's never, not once, put back to back good seasons together. I don't know about you, but that's not a dude I give $100Mguaranteed to.

You know who was up and down there first few years, but had a good contract year? Blake fucking Bortles. You know what JAX did? They paid him. You know what Bortles did? He Bortles'd.
Last edited by acmillis on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Buccaneers fans are turning into Cowboys fans when they were begging to bring Dak back at $40M AAV. What they got was a pretender, never a contender. The rest of the football world has been laughing at them because of it. Now, Bucs fans want the same thing because Mayfield had a "meh" year on a good team... that only went 9-7, but because of a weak division and a first round playoff win against a team who quit on their coach 4 or 5 weeks ago. Why do you people want mediocrity so bad? Why don't you want a contender? Is it because you don't care because it's 72 degrees all year long down there and you can always do something nice outside in the winter?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:10 pm 32 these days means nothing. Also, before I give Baker a shitton of money, I make him prove he can do what he did this year again. In six seasons in the NFL, he's never put together two good seasons in a row. In his bad seasons, (3 of 6), he's completed less than 60% of his passes which is unacceptable in today's NFL. Again, he's never, not once, put back to back good seasons together. I don't know about you, but that's not a dude I give $100Mguaranteed to.
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:17 pm Buccaneers fans are turning into Cowboys fans when they were begging to bring Dak back at $40M AAV. What they got was a pretender, never a contender. The rest of the football world has been laughing at them because of it. Now, Bucs fans want the same thing because Mayfield had a "meh" year on a good team... that only went 9-7, but because of a weak division and a first round playoff win against a team who quit on their coach 4 or 5 weeks ago. Why do you people want mediocrity so bad? Why don't you want a contender? Is it because you don't care because it's 72 degrees all year long down there and you can always do something nice outside in the winter?
Y'all have got a point. He didn't look good early on. I think he needs a prove it type deal where he can cash in if he meets certain performance benchmarks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:10 pm

32 these days means nothing. Also, before I give Baker a shitton of money, I make him prove he can do what he did this year again. In six seasons in the NFL, he's never put together two good seasons in a row. In his bad seasons, (3 of 6), he's completed less than 60% of his passes which is unacceptable in today's NFL. Again, he's never, not once, put back to back good seasons together. I don't know about you, but that's not a dude I give $100Mguaranteed to.
You don't do it because it's a cherry picked criteria you created to fit your agenda. Once that specific criteria is met, the goal posts will move. So we know what you won't do because you've made your feelings clear. It's okay to sit this one out, the grownups will take it from here ;)
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:22 pm

32 these days means nothing. Also, before I give Baker a shitton of money, I make him prove he can do what he did this year again. In six seasons in the NFL, he's never put together two good seasons in a row. In his bad seasons, (3 of 6), he's completed less than 60% of his passes which is unacceptable in today's NFL. Again, he's never, not once, put back to back good seasons together. I don't know about you, but that's not a dude I give $100Mguaranteed to.
You don't do it because it's a cherry picked criteria you created to fit your agenda. Once that specific criteria is met, the goal posts will move. So we know what you won't do because you've made your feelings clear. It's okay to sit this one out, the grownups will take it from here ;)
If by "cherry picking" you mean "taken in to account his entire body of work throughout his entire career" than yeah, I cherry picked. I guess you're saying we should just ignore 2019, 2021, and 2022 where he was, objectively, one of the worst QBs in the league, and only pay attention to the really nice year he had in 2023?

You're basically saying that JAX was right to pay Bortles, that JAX was right to pay Foles, you get that, right?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:26 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:22 pm

If by "cherry picking" you mean "taken in to account his entire body of work throughout his entire career" than yeah, I cherry picked. I guess you're saying we should just ignore 2019, 2021, and 2022 where he was, objectively, one of the worst QBs in the league, and only pay attention to the really nice year he had in 2023?

You're basically saying that JAX was right to pay Bortles, that JAX was right to pay Foles, you get that, right?
Gonna have you prove my point for me.

What about Jameis Winston? He threw for more than 60% 4 straight years. Had more TDs than turnovers each year as well. Why didn't we sign him to a contract?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 pm
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:26 pm

What about Jameis Winston? He threw for more than 60% 4 straight years. Had more TDs than turnovers each year as well. Why didn't we sign him to a contract?
Off the field reasons: He was a terrible "leader" was accused of sexual assault, was the epitome of immature, was suspended for off-field behavior.
On field reasons: He was literally a TO machine. If you're definition of, "pay that man his money" is "he had more TDs than Turnovers each year, back up the truck for Mark Sanchez, Mitchell Trubisky, Daniel Jones, and other, "more TD than TO" QBs. I'm not getting your point, do explain, sir.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Last edited by Backside on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Dak and the Cowboys have won 12 games a year for the past few seasons, that isn’t good enough? We are going to carryover Dallas playoff disappointments and apply them to the Bucs, why exactly?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 pm

Off the field reasons: He was a terrible "leader" was accused of sexual assault, was the epitome of immature, was suspended for off-field behavior.
On field reasons: He was literally a TO machine. If you're definition of, "pay that man his money" is "he had more TDs than Turnovers each year, back up the truck for Mark Sanchez, Mitchell Trubisky, Daniel Jones, and other, "more TD than TO" QBs. I'm not getting your point, do explain, sir.
See what I mean? Goal posts moving like butter. Leave this to the grown ups.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I really only care what Baker has done on THIS team for THIS organization, and as far as I'm concerned he has been great all things considered.

The Browns have proven time and again that they are morons. They fired their RBs and TEs coaches after losing Chubb for the season, getting a career year out of Njoku, and having an offense capable of moving the ball with Joe freaking Flacco. It's no wonder why Baker wasn't successful there, EXCEPT HE WAS. He won their only playoff game in like the last 30 years. That organization is truly dysfunctional.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:56 pm
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:37 pm

See what I mean? Goal posts moving like butter. Leave this to the grown ups.
Wtf are you talking about? You ask a question, I respond, you retreat with no coherent thought. Feel free to respond with something thoughtful.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:10 pm I really only care what Baker has done on THIS team for THIS organization, and as far as I'm concerned he has been great all things considered.

The Browns have proven time and again that they are morons. They fired their RBs and TEs coaches after losing Chubb for the season, getting a career year out of Njoku, and having an offense capable of moving the ball with Joe freaking Flacco. It's no wonder why Baker wasn't successful there, EXCEPT HE WAS. He won their only playoff game in like the last 30 years. That organization is truly dysfunctional.
So….sign Flacco to an extension if your Cleveland then, is that what you’re saying?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:32 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:10 pm I really only care what Baker has done on THIS team for THIS organization, and as far as I'm concerned he has been great all things considered.

So….sign Flacco to an extension if your Cleveland then, is that what you’re saying?
Are you bootzing me? I said nothing close to that.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:37 pm

Unless you're someone using a different SN from the old boards, you're too new to know what Bootzing is. And this ain't it.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

My bad, that was a whole lotta bootzing, I apologize. I will say that, “baker won their only playoff…” is an indictment on that organization, and should not be praise for Baker.
That’s like us praising Winston for being our all time passing lead in every category. Again, that just shows what a shit organization we have been.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:39 pm

Unless you're someone using a different SN from the old boards, you're too new to know what Bootzing is. And this ain't it.
Eh. I've been around pewter report and buc zone for a long time. You haven't changed much. You actually bring a lot of great content when you aren't trying to antagonize though.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:39 pm

Eh. I've been around pewter report and buc zone for a long time. You haven't changed much. You actually bring a lot of great content when you aren't trying to antagonize though.
You kidding? I've changed a lot. I don't remember you though so my apologies.

At any rate, I understand your point about Flacco/Browns.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Jonny wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am I think tagging Baker is the ideal situation for Bucs, even if he feels insulted by it. His down years are explainable. But being married to a QB in near long term when he has never produced back to back solid seasons is a big risk.

If the Bucs win the next game with the offense looking pretty good, I can totally see Canales landing a HC job with a situation that very few might have much of an interest in, such as Carolina or Tennessee. With that additional variable, there are no guarantees that Baker is the best QB in NFC South.
The problem is that if you want to keep Evans and AWJ then you aren't tagging him. Telling Baker to test the market and come back with the best off is the smart choice like we did with CD3. If that is a kings ransom so be it. We don't want AWJ testing the market at all not to mention the cap hit is straight up on your cap. You people are asking to have an immovable $36.367 million for Baker over $16.258 for AWJ. Do you really want 75% of our cap space on Baker so he would have to prove it a second time? Might as well have the $80 million in dead cap again. Bye AWJ. Bye Evans. Bye LVD
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

32 these days means nothing. Also, before I give Baker a shitton of money, I make him prove he can do what he did this year again. In six seasons in the NFL, he's never put together two good seasons in a row. In his bad seasons, (3 of 6), he's completed less than 60% of his passes which is unacceptable in today's NFL. In his bad seasons, he's thrown a combined 49 TDs against 42 INTs. Again, he's never, not once, put back to back good seasons together. I don't know about you, but that's not a dude I give $100Mguaranteed to.

You know who was up and down there first few years, but had a good contract year? Blake fucking Bortles. You know what JAX did? They paid him. You know what Bortles did? He Bortles'd.
Bortles was also a drunk who never studied film
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:13 pm

What does that have to do with JAX paying him when they knew he was mediocre on the field?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Link?
I said what I said

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:10 pm

What does that have to do with JAX paying him when they knew he was mediocre on the field?
Because that alone should have told them not to, not him being a mediocre quarterback. That was a stupid choice all around, Garappolo is a mediocre QB and SF couldn't wait to pay him. Cardinals are paying Murray. Isn't he a mediocre QB with some legs? Isn't Goff? I could name more than half the teams in the league with mediocre quarterbacks. Your contention and only one is not on my team, when let's be honest, this team other than two years with Brady has had horrible to mediocre QBs. Or are you going to put Brad Johnson in the Josh Allen/Mahommes category?
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:53 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:51 pm

It's a message board, we're all shouting at the clouds, some of us just aren't old men, lol
Speak for yourself. I'm ancient! In fact, I am so old I am living my second childhood.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm
Jonny wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am I think tagging Baker is the ideal situation for Bucs, even if he feels insulted by it. His down years are explainable. But being married to a QB in near long term when he has never produced back to back solid seasons is a big risk.

The problem is that if you want to keep Evans and AWJ then you aren't tagging him. Telling Baker to test the market and come back with the best off is the smart choice like we did with CD3. If that is a kings ransom so be it. We don't want AWJ testing the market at all not to mention the cap hit is straight up on your cap. You people are asking to have an immovable $36.367 million for Baker over $16.258 for AWJ. Do you really want 75% of our cap space on Baker so he would have to prove it a second time? Might as well have the $80 million in dead cap again. Bye AWJ. Bye Evans. Bye LVD
AWJ, ME, LVD.. all priority..Baker you riding with us? this is what's left over..lmk thanks

That's how it should go down. If he's truly happy and "found his place to be Baker", he'll understand/ accept the $ situation and path chosen by the GM
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Noles1724 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm
kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm

AWJ, ME, LVD.. all priority..Baker you riding with us? this is what's left over..lmk thanks

That's how it should go down. If he's truly happy and "found his place to be Baker", he'll understand/ accept the $ situation and path chosen by the GM
You legit are going to say to a QB. Fuck you take scraps or we will take a 1 in 40 chance very late in the first round a QB instead of a stud who may help our offense or defense?

You a) do not know how to manipulate the cap and b) want someone who is worse than Jeff Garcia or a rookie bc QB is the LEAST important position in the NFL. Were you dropped at birth? If so than you and @acmillis needs to find a jerk circle
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

WOW

I said what I said

acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 pm
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:10 pm

Because that alone should have told them not to, not him being a mediocre quarterback. That was a stupid choice all around, Garappolo is a mediocre QB and SF couldn't wait to pay him. Cardinals are paying Murray. Isn't he a mediocre QB with some legs? Isn't Goff? I could name more than half the teams in the league with mediocre quarterbacks. Your contention and only one is not on my team, when let's be honest, this team other than two years with Brady has had horrible to mediocre QBs. Or are you going to put Brad Johnson in the Josh Allen/Mahommes category?
So because other teams have overpaid for mediocre qbs, and we have a history of not having a franchise qb, that’s the reason we should pay Baker?
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:39 am
Noles1724 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm

You legit are going to say to a QB. Fuck you take scraps or we will take a 1 in 40 chance very late in the first round a QB instead of a stud who may help our offense or defense?

You a) do not know how to manipulate the cap and b) want someone who is worse than Jeff Garcia or a rookie bc QB is the LEAST important position in the NFL. Were you dropped at birth? If so than you and @acmillis needs to find a jerk circle
a) relax, this is a conversation. It's not that serious.

b) no Evans, Baker's not nearly as efficient.

c) I'm not a GM, so no, I don't know how to manipulate the cap. I'm sure those not in a message board do though.

d) comes after c but before e