Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by acmillis »

acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:56 pm

See what I mean? Goal posts moving like butter. Leave this to the grown ups.
Wtf are you talking about? You ask a question, I respond, you retreat with no coherent thought. Feel free to respond with something thoughtful.
@Bootz Would yo like to respond?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:23 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:31 pm

Wtf are you talking about? You ask a question, I respond, you retreat with no coherent thought. Feel free to respond with something thoughtful.
@Bootz Would yo like to respond?
Dude, don't expect a response.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Some of you guys love arguing just as much as Bootz does. lmao
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:39 am
Noles1724 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm

AWJ, ME, LVD.. all priority..Baker you riding with us? this is what's left over..lmk thanks

That's how it should go down. If he's truly happy and "found his place to be Baker", he'll understand/ accept the $ situation and path chosen by the GM
You legit are going to say to a QB. Fuck you take scraps or we will take a 1 in 40 chance very late in the first round a QB instead of a stud who may help our offense or defense?

You a) do not know how to manipulate the cap and b) want someone who is worse than Jeff Garcia or a rookie bc QB is the LEAST important position in the NFL. Were you dropped at birth? If so than you and @acmillis needs to find a jerk circle
I don't think he's suggesting scraps, he's just suggesting if we need to risk upsetting someone to the point of losing them but hopefully not, Baker hurts least.

Not sure I entirely agree with that. Obviously so much depends on the replacement. But anyone telling themselves he's average and finding an upgrade shouldn't be hard is kidding themselves.

I think if you can "take advantage" of anyone's love for this situation and his teammates its Baker. If low balling a great guy and player means keeping the best possible squad....
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Baker isn’t dumb. He knows Mike Evans makes him better. Hold out for $45M+ you know Mike probably can’t get his and moves on. We’ll see how much they want to win as Bucs.

The same way Tom Brady knew taking a little less and deferring helped him retain weapons everywhere to win as a Buc.

That being said we all know you can get cute with the cap hits.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:43 am Baker isn’t dumb. He knows Mike Evans makes him better. Hold out for $45M+ you know Mike probably can’t get his and moves on. We’ll see how much they want to win as Bucs.

The same way Tom Brady knew taking a little less and deferring helped him retain weapons everywhere to win as a Buc.

That being said we all know you can get cute with the cap hits.

This guy gets it. Listen to the doctor.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Baker has been awesome and I would like to bring him back. If he wants a Dak level contract that prevents us from re-signing other guys though? Pass.

But I really don't think it will be like that, I think we can get everyone back at fair but reasonable value. That is what I am expecting and hoping happens.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Where would he go to be a starting QB?

And if that happened then it's Trask time as I would think he is much more ready than late QB draft picks. Shoot even Wilford, because of additions we would get from the draft, which are much needed.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I think anyone saying they dont want Baker back if we sign him to a deal that prevents us from signing others simply either doesn't want Baker back OR they aren't being realistic.

Let's take a trip down contract lane. In the NFL this season, 3 players had cap numbers north of $30mil. 3. Patrick Mahomes ($37mil), Jared Goff ($32mil) Ryan Tannehill($30mil). This offseason alone, 4 QBs signed contracts worth $50mil+ AAV. And of those 3 cap hits north of $30mil, none were in that group of 4.

Now how can that be? *GASP* SALARY CAP MANIPULATION!! Teams structure and restructure cap hits in a way that allows them to keep them as low as possible so they can sign other players.

Justin Herbert signed a 5 year/$262.5mil deal. What was his cap hit this season? A little more than $8mil.

So if you truly believe that if we signed Baker to a deal for say $35mil AAV that his cap hit would be $35mil, get a new sport to follow, kiddo.
Most hated man in America.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:51 am Where would he go to be a starting QB?

And if that happened then it's Trask time as I would think he is much more ready than late QB draft picks. Shoot even Wilford, because of additions we would get from the draft, which are much needed.
Atlanta, Washington, Minnesota, Denver, Pittsburgh, Vegas...
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:00 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:51 am Where would he go to be a starting QB?

They all pick before us right? Plus. Mayfield would be just one of thirty free agent QB's.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

In addition to the larger contracts many on this roster are looking for their bump and it should be done.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:06 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:00 pm

They all pick before us right? Plus. Mayfield would be just one of thirty free agent QB's.
How many first round QBs do you think are in the draft? How many other holes do the other teams need to fix? For example, in Washington do you go with a QB or maybe get one of the tackles to help protect the QB considering how many sacks they gave up and grab a 'bridge' QB in free agency? And then of the QBs in free agency are you going to pick Tannehill or Mariota over Mayfield at this point? Hell, do you think the Saints would go back and change signing Carr over Mayfield right now if they could?

It's one thing to draft a QB in the first round, it's another to put them in a position to succeed (see Bryce vs CJ this year).
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I should tell you my concerns are only with Tampa Bay. Myself, I'd go with the QB's we have on the roster. Why did we protect Wolford?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm I should tell you my concerns are only with Tampa Bay. Myself, I'd go with the QB's we have on the roster. Why did we protect Wolford?
Then don't worry about what other teams might do. Wolford wasn't protected as much as he turned down the opportunity to go to the Rams. Bucs promoted him to the active roster for a game or so, gets him some game checks. By all accounts, he's very good as a scout team QB and in the QB room.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Wolford - Oct31 to present. 10 games
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:28 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:53 pm

It's a message board, we're all shouting at the clouds, some of us just aren't old men, lol
Speak for yourself. I'm ancient! In fact, I am so old I am living my second childhood.
Don't get me wrong, I'm old too

And yes, shouting at the clouds on an obscure message board

Now, get off my lawn!!
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:12 pm Wolford - Oct31 to present. 10 games
Emergency 3rd string QB rule:
The addition of Wolford will give the Buccaneers the ability to make use of the NFL's new "inactive third quarterback rule." A third quarterback can now be included among however many inactive players a team has to add on game day and still be eligible to play if the team's first two quarterbacks exit the game due to injury or ejection.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Good 17 minute Baker vs Eagles breakdown by Kurt Warner.

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

With where we are now this is a fascinating read

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/baker-may ... cff99fdcf6
I said what I said

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:07 am With where we are now this is a fascinating read

Thanks for digging that up. Pretty bang-on scouting report, I'd say.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:43 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:07 am With where we are now this is a fascinating read

Thanks for digging that up. Pretty bang-on scouting report, I'd say.
What I found most interesting is he has build on and made progress even all the positives and gotten rid of lots of the negatives. However, he still struggles at some of the negatvies that he had back then i.e hanging onto the ball too long. I think he is often looking so hard for the perfect read that he cannot throw it away. Reminds me of when I was single
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Y’all’s thoughts on this:

This is extremely interesting regarding Bakers career thus far.
- Bakers rookie year, in Cleveland -
He had TWO different head coaches. Both have not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 2nd year, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH… He has not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 3rd & 4th season, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH. He is still currently coaching. To this day, Baker led him to his most coaching victories in a season, including the Browns playoff run this year.
- Bakers 5th season, in Carolina & LA -
He played for a total of THREE head coaches. He started the season with Carolina and played for two different head coaches while there, both have not had a head coaching job since…(also notable: this organization also got rid of Christian McCaffrey this same year). They went 2-15 this year, last in the league.
He ended his 5th season with the LA Rams for one head coach. The Rams were tied for the worst record in the NFC and were last in their division at 3-9 when they brought Baker in to close out their season.

- Bakers 6th season, in Tampa -
This is the very first season in Bakers entire NFL career where he has not played for either a ROOKIE HEAD COACH or multiple head coaches in a season. Baker set numerous career records this season.
- Not counting current Bowles, 5 of the 7 head coaches Baker previously played for are no longer head coaches.
-
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

But, like, he caused all those ruined coaching careers with his suckage or something. Bowles has only narrowly managed to escape this fate because he is like the luckiest HC in history or whatever.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I believe the Bucs will give Mayfield 23-25m per year, Evans 20-23m per year.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:18 pm But, like, he caused all those ruined coaching careers with his suckage or something. Bowles has only narrowly managed to escape this fate because he is like the luckiest HC in history or whatever.
Yeah that's way more plausible lol
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I know the game ended with Baker throwing an INT. But this playoff series made me realize that you can win a Superbowl with Baker Mayfield. I would love for him to come back. The age of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers is over. Almost every QB is a roller coaster ride of sorts now and Baker can ball with the best of them.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Jonny wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:17 pm I know the game ended with Baker throwing an INT. But this playoff series made me realize that you can win a Superbowl with Baker Mayfield. I would love for him to come back. The age of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers is over. Almost every QB is a roller coaster ride of sorts now and Baker can ball with the best of them.

You cannot win a superbowl with him because he does things like throw that int.

His bad decisions and bad plays will always limit him and prevent him from taking a team the distance.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Jonny wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:17 pm I know the game ended with Baker throwing an INT. But this playoff series made me realize that you can win a Superbowl with Baker Mayfield. I would love for him to come back. The age of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers is over. Almost every QB is a roller coaster ride of sorts now and Baker can ball with the best of them.
That's pretty funny, good one. LOL
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 pm Y’all’s thoughts on this:

This is extremely interesting regarding Bakers career thus far.
- Bakers rookie year, in Cleveland -
He had TWO different head coaches. Both have not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 2nd year, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH… He has not had a head coaching job since.
- Bakers 3rd & 4th season, in Cleveland -
He had a completely new ROOKIE HEAD COACH. He is still currently coaching. To this day, Baker led him to his most coaching victories in a season, including the Browns playoff run this year.
- Bakers 5th season, in Carolina & LA -
He played for a total of THREE head coaches. He started the season with Carolina and played for two different head coaches while there, both have not had a head coaching job since…(also notable: this organization also got rid of Christian McCaffrey this same year). They went 2-15 this year, last in the league.
He ended his 5th season with the LA Rams for one head coach. The Rams were tied for the worst record in the NFC and were last in their division at 3-9 when they brought Baker in to close out their season.

- Bakers 6th season, in Tampa -
This is the very first season in Bakers entire NFL career where he has not played for either a ROOKIE HEAD COACH or multiple head coaches in a season. Baker set numerous career records this season.
- Not counting current Bowles, 5 of the 7 head coaches Baker previously played for are no longer head coaches.
-
It's a lot like Alex Smith. Neither Smith nor Mayfield were the reason for the coaching carousels, and neither benefited. But, like Alex Smith, even with a great offensive coach, Mayfield isn't good enough for your team to win with. The year after Alex Smith was replaced, the Chiefs went to the conference championship and champions the year after. It's not a coincidence. The Chiefs didn't have to tank either... they were 12-4, and traded up to replace him.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The interception to end the season was a bad look, but that's just the frosting on the cake. Taking bad sacks vs both the Eagles and Lions, and being completely unable to either see or compensate for a blitz are the real killers for me.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm
The interception to end the season was a bad look, but that's just the frosting on the cake. Taking bad sacks vs both the Eagles and Lions, and being completely unable to either see or compensate for a blitz are the real killers for me.
Totally understand and agree. I just don't know the probability of finding a QB with great arm talent and not having Baker's deficiencies is going to be easy to find. He needs to be managed the same way 24-28 other QBs need to be managed in certain scenarios.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm
In the Eagles game, yes, he created sacks by holding on to the football too long. On two sacks, the defenders were untouched and Rachaad didn't wait to see if he needed to stay in or not on one and fell on his fact on the other. How were they on Baker? On Hutchinson, did you want him to intentionally ground it?