Bucs vs Falcons discussions

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dread

Re: Bucs vs Falcons discussions

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:20 am Atlanta played like pure trash in all facets. I'm not worried about Patterson anymore. He apparently put on 15-20 pounds to play RB and looks much slower and less agile.

That was not a close game against Philly. When Atlanta scored their 2nd FG very early in the 2nd Quarter, that was the last time their offense passed the 50 yard line. That was the last time they sustained a drive more than 6 plays. That was the last time they scored. From that point they convert 1 3rd down in 11 attempts. To put it in perspective, they had 29 plays over their 1st 2 drives. Over their last 10, they had 37 plays.
I agree the Falcons didn't look good. They got pushed around on both lines of scrimmage which took it's affect as the game went on.

But both of the Falcons first two drives were 70+ yds and got inside the 5yd line. At the end of the 1st qtr the Falcons had over 140yds of offense and despite being down 6-7 on the scoreboard it was far from the blowout in became late.

Once the 1st quarter was over the rest of the game was tough to watch, essentially a stalemate of inept and sloppy football from both teams. The Eagles were able to move the ball in their 2min offense right before the half to get the TD (+ 2pt conversion) to go up 15-6, but other than that the game consisted of each team punting the ball to one another or turning it over on downs. Lots of drive killing pre-snap penalties neither offense was equipped to overcome.

My point was more that Philly didn't look all that great either for much of that game, but their defensive line was too much for the Falcons Oline to handle. It's not like they got out to some huge lead and coasted like the 32-6 final score might indicate.
Dread

Post by Dread »

13F11B wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 am Long-time Buccaneers fans worry about every game. Short-time Buccaneers fans do not know that heartbreak feeling that was put on repeat for far too long.

I worry about every game. Some just have more realistic worry and some are just old Buccaneers fan worry.
Yeah, as Bucs fans we have that battered wife syndrome a bit unfortunately. The scars of our past are hard to forget.

But that is the past. Not to say we won't suck again in the future, but this current team with Brady leading it is about as a polar opposite from the Yucks teams of old as it gets.

Now we're the smart team that is well coached who lets our opponents beat themselves.

That Dallas game week 1 is perfect example. The Bucs never, ever win games like that (where we are -3 in turnovers and commit alot of penalties). But Brady wins those types of game almost every time he's involved in one (which is rare).

Enjoy this time as a Bucs fan. We deserve it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:23 am
13F11B wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 am Long-time Buccaneers fans worry about every game. Short-time Buccaneers fans do not know that heartbreak feeling that was put on repeat for far too long.

I worry about every game. Some just have more realistic worry and some are just old Buccaneers fan worry.
Yeah, as Bucs fans we have that battered wife syndrome a bit unfortunately. The scars of our past are hard to forget.

But that is the past. Not to say we won't suck again in the future, but this current team with Brady leading it is about as a polar opposite from the Yucks teams of old as it gets.

Now we're the smart team that is well coached who lets our opponents beat themselves.

That Dallas game week 1 is perfect example. The Bucs never, ever win games like that (where we are -3 in turnovers and commit alot of penalties). But Brady wins those types of game almost every time he's involved in one (which is rare).

Enjoy this time as a Bucs fan. We deserve it.
Completely agree here. The last thing I'll worry about is a Tom Brady led team melting down in tough situations. Week 1, our mistakes simply weren't as bad as Dallas' mistakes. We had turnovers, penalties, dropped passes. Their kicker left points on the field. That's why it was a 2 point game. I don't worry about that becoming the norm.
Kona

Post by Kona »

I fully expect the Bucs to win this game. Falcons looked awful last week and now they come to Ray Jay to face the defending champs. I think we clean up our mistakes and win soundly. Go Bucs!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The Falcons looked entirely beatable against the Eagles.

If the Eagles game said anything, it's that the Falcons defense has problems tackling in space and on the perimeter, which given the strength of our receiving core makes for easy matchups just about everywhere you look. As I would say for just about every secondary we will play this year, I don't see how they can matchup against our receivers in the passing game. Sure they have AJ Terrell who isn't horrible, but behind him they have nothing to write home about. They don't have the horses to line up in man and Brady and friends should be able to dissect any zone the Falcons dream up. Assuming we can protect Brady (which isn't a far-reaching assumption), we should be fine in our passing game versus their pass defense.

I would give the battle of our running game versus their run defense as a tossup; I don't think we blow them up on the ground unless we're blowing them out, and I don't think they bottle us up. While Deion Jones is still Deion Jones and Grady Jarrett can sneak up on you at times, they don't have much help around them. Should be an average day there.

Looking at their offense versus our defense, Matt Ryan barely passed for over 150 yards and got sacked three times against the Falcons, and neither of his primary weapons in Ridley and Pitts made much noise. Their center is a second year player who redshirted last year, and their rookie left guard (Michigan alum Jalen Mayfield) got embarrassed last game. I imagine that they may shuffle their line a bit, which should hurt their consistency. Their running game was solid versus Philly but it wasn't world-beating, so I doubt it will be enough to win in the box against our really good front seven, particularly given that they had multiple blown assignments and penalties on that offensive line.

Not to jinx us by saying this should be a cakewalk, but I would be surprised if we didn't win by double digits.

Go Bucs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 pm
Dread wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:50 pm
The Buccaneers had 11 wins scoring 30+ points in Jaboo's 70 starts in Tampa.

The Buccaneers have 13 wins scoring 30+ point in Brady's 21 starts in Tampa.
In this outdated, archaic offense? That can't be right.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Odd stat: Brady and Winston are the only 2 QB's yet to be sacked.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:08 am Odd stat: Brady and Winston are the only 2 QB's yet to be sacked.
That is a random as hell stat. Kudos to both OLs.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:52 am
MJW wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 pm

The Buccaneers had 11 wins scoring 30+ points in Jaboo's 70 starts in Tampa.

The Buccaneers have 13 wins scoring 30+ point in Brady's 21 starts in Tampa.
In this outdated, archaic offense? That can't be right.
Nobody could possibly succeed in an offense crafted by (squints) one of the best offensive coaches in the game, two times NFL Coach Of The Year, and reigning Superbowl Champion Bruce Arians.

And with only two Pro Bowl receivers, not much help for Jameis there, either.

I'm very excited for the Saints to realize what they already should know, being how Winston threw about 17 INTs to their team while he was here. But you know what they say about hope springing...
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Don't make me get the receipts MJW. Buczone still exists.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Is Russell Gage a problem Sunday?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

From Matt Matera:

Bowles: Bucs Tackling “Looked Like A Preseason Game”

While I was watching I couldnt help thinking where are the smashing hits on our defense? I'll be looking for that against Atl.
Roach On My Pizza

Post by Roach On My Pizza »

This team is going to experience some losses this year, but it'll be a damn shame if one of them were to this Falcons team. I've zero doubt that Pees is going to run some cover 2 shell the majority of the game and Tom's going to have to nickel and dime them between the 20's. Their offensive staff is committed to an outside zone/off tackle run scheme. Never thought I'd see cordarrelle patterson running those sweeps and outside zones in 21, but anyway, if ya like watching corners and safeties forced to make a shlt-ton of tackles, this'll be the game for you.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 am
Phantom wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 am

Last I heard, it might be season ending.. I hope not
I must be on the short list of Bucs fans not panicking about this.

Davis is an outstanding corner.
Dean will probably never be an outstanding corner, but the league is filled with worse guys starting games for good teams.
Cockrell is a rock-solid third corner who has risen to every challenge in Tampa.
And Dee Delaney had an outstanding camp/preseason. He'd already be getting reps most places.

I also have modest optimism about Herb Miller, if he gets on the field.

If our pass rush can get home more effectively than they did against Dallas (and their excellent tackles), the corners will be fine.

If they can't, we're going to get picked apart by any decent passing attack with or without SMB.
You lose a corner that's better than our other corners it's a problemo.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Roach On My Pizza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm This team is going to experience some losses this year, but it'll be a damn shame if one of them were to this Falcons team. I've zero doubt that Pees is going to run some cover 2 shell the majority of the game and Tom's going to have to nickel and dime them between the 20's. Their offensive staff is committed to an outside zone/off tackle run scheme. Never thought I'd see cordarrelle patterson running those sweeps and outside zones in 21, but anyway, if ya like watching corners and safeties forced to make a shlt-ton of tackles, this'll be the game for you.
And that's when it will become Miller Time.

Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:07 pm
Roach On My Pizza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm This team is going to experience some losses this year, but it'll be a damn shame if one of them were to this Falcons team. I've zero doubt that Pees is going to run some cover 2 shell the majority of the game and Tom's going to have to nickel and dime them between the 20's. Their offensive staff is committed to an outside zone/off tackle run scheme. Never thought I'd see cordarrelle patterson running those sweeps and outside zones in 21, but anyway, if ya like watching corners and safeties forced to make a shlt-ton of tackles, this'll be the game for you.

We should be able to run the ball effectively Sunday. Gronk should also feast. Maybe Brate or OJ step up as well
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm

We should be able to run the ball effectively Sunday. Gronk should also feast. Maybe Brate or OJ step up as well
My post above was for humor. Most likely, as you said, our backfield and TE involvement will be key which negates that coverage Roach spoke of. Then, when the defense is forced to play closer to the LOS, it's lights out. But, as I've said, any given Sunday and all that. So we'll see how it plays out. But I trust Brady & Leftwich to get it done.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm

My post above was for humor. Most likely, as you said, our backfield and TE involvement will be key which negates that coverage Roach spoke of. Then, when the defense is forced to play closer to the LOS, it's lights out. But, as I've said, any given Sunday and all that. So we'll see how it plays out. But I trust Brady & Leftwich to get it done.
Oh I know it was funny. Scotty should also get a few looks.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm

It would be nice to see Miller stretch the field with a couple big ones.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

I'm glad we found a way to win week one, but I'm still firmly of the opinion that game shouldn't have even been close if we are the team we and most others think. Sloppy play and a couple of critical mistakes in one game won't change my opinion on our team, but if we don't kick some Falcon ass this week I might rethink where we are.

It's important for us to really blow them out, and not just because I'll sleep better. The Falcons chose not to rebuild and suffered a humiliating loss against what people generally consider a bottom feeder. Getting their assesz handed to them in week two will go a long way towards damaging their team psyche. Make them doubt their new coach and start fighting among themselves.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Might also make Ryan ponder retirement.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CD3 on the injury report with a hamstring issue and is questionable for the game.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 pm CD3 on the injury report with a hamstring issue and is questionable for the game.
Not that's definitely concerning. Dean on Ridley? No thank you.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 pm CD3 on the injury report with a hamstring issue and is questionable for the game.
To soon to call up Pierre Desir, I expect Herb Miller to be called up.
Roach On My Pizza

:) During the off-season, I was certain Brady would have Miller put on 20 lbs and work him to slot.
Roach On My Pizza

Caradoc wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm I'm glad we found a way to win week one, but I'm still firmly of the opinion that game shouldn't have even been close if we are the team we and most others think. Sloppy play and a couple of critical mistakes in one game won't change my opinion on our team, but if we don't kick some Falcon ass this week I might rethink where we are.

It's important for us to really blow them out, and not just because I'll sleep better. The Falcons chose not to rebuild and suffered a humiliating loss against what people generally consider a bottom feeder. Getting their assesz handed to them in week two will go a long way towards damaging their team psyche. Make them doubt their new coach and start fighting among themselves.
I'd not worry either way, the team's going to have some losses during the season. I will say, should the Bucs drop a division game to either the Panthers or Falcons, they'll most likely have to sweep the Saints.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Roach On My Pizza wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:52 pm

:) During the off-season, I was certain Brady would have Miller put on 20 lbs and work him to slot.
Adding 20lbs would likely rob him of his greatest asset, that speed.

I'm glad he's still skinny as hell, and still fast as hell. Let him run those clearouts all day, toss him a few bombs if/when the secondary ignores him, a la Green Bay in the playoffs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think we all know it's any given sunday. It just takes one sack or ill timed penalty to kill a drive and leave points on the field. You have enough of those we can lose any game.

This is another good test of our discipline. If we play our best game we should be the best team. Lots of good match up to watch in this one, I'll be paying particular attention to Ridley vs Davis.
vivalaReagan

Post by vivalaReagan »

• regarding a post-win letdown or trap game, brady won’t allow it. previous buc teams? absolutely. almost a certainty (especially if the opponent was starting a backup QB or TE). the thomas edward patrick brady jr. led buccaneers? no chance. he’s talked all week about how much work needed to be done after such a sloppy win. i bet he was a lot of fun at practice this past week.
  • the shortcomings in our defensive backfield will be nicely masked by their o-line; barrett, jpp, vea, and suh feast.
  • matt is looking old and has finally lost a step; his o-line might be the real culprit but i think father time has caught up to mr. ryan.
  • offensively, it will be dealer’s choice. brady will decide who has a big game, not the atl defense. i also expect BA and byron to focus on getting the run game on track, which will lead to a really nice bounce-back game from rojo.
  • to complete mjw’s analogy, the entire atl team is a “fake-ass john randle.”
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Yeah, this is a mite concerning.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Backside

Post by Backside »

I think Oline play will be the biggest determining factor for us week to week. Brady will pick apart any team if kept clean. Falcons have one good defensive player and he goes right up the middle, where Brady is vulnerable. Need a great showing from our iOL this week. Especially heading into a showdown with Aaron Donald.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LUGZ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm Oi, our injury report is getting larger by the day. Sadly I think we're going to make the falcons look much better than they really are.
Oh come on, think positive
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Lugz is easily frightened
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Ok without Carlton Davis I’m officially worried. They Falcons can pick apart our backup secondary. Brady needs to Geovanny in prepared to score 40.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I know he’s questionable, but unless someone has a source saying CDIII is out, please stop being Chicken Littles