Your Best Case (Reasonable) Scenario Bucs Draft 2023

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Nobody

Your Best Case (Reasonable) Scenario Bucs Draft 2023

Post by Nobody »

Alright, got home late last night from abroad. Have some time to look at this stuff. Figured I'd throw something together and see what others are leaning towards:

DRAFT-NIGHT TRADE

* Devin White to Buffalo. I don't see us getting a 2nd in return here, but how about Buffalo's 3rd (91) and a 5th (137).

1ST ROUND

* Trade back with Pittsburgh (so they can have their pick of OT) to end of 1. Our 19 and 175 for their 32, 49, and 120.

* RD 1 (32): O’CYRUS TORRENCE (RG). Best iOL in the draft and we need help at Guard and Tackle. Steady as it gets everywhere. Dominant in the run game with plenty of Outside Zone (and Inside and Gap) on tape at Florida to feel comfortable that he'll be a capable (floor) rookie starter in an Outside Zone-heavy offense. Select him, plug him in at RG for half a decade, bounce Wirfs to LT and let Goedeke and Feiler battle it out for RT (where Goedeke had his best snaps and Feiler played solidly for Pittsburgh there in 2018 and 2019).

2ND ROUND

* Trade up 7 spots with Jets to ensure Atlanta or someone doesn't take our guy (our 49 and 181 for their 42).

* RD 2 (42): FELIX ANUDIKE-UZOMAH (EDGE). Seems that they really like the kid. Looked at his tape a little. Not the high-end, bursty Edge with absurd athleticism everywhere. However, enough snap-anticipation/processing and first step burst combines with being ridiculously bendy. Can corner at absurd angles with tackles leaning on him and has really good hand-usage and a toolkit/rush repertoire that helps him win up the arc. Won't win with Speed to Power either, but fantastic motor + bursty enough + ridiculous bend + great hand-usage and rush plan and toolbox. And that bend/mobility will absolutely be a big asset in the ample Stunt/Twist package that Bowles runs. Only 21, could surely add weight and strength (without harm to his rush/play profile) to develop Speed to Power game to go with the rest of his kit.

* RD 2 (50): SAM LAPORTA (TE). YAC-threat, Versatility (split him out or in-line), threatens Seam tree with speed. Iowa makes good TEs in Kittle, Hockenson, Fant. Doesn't need to dominate as an in-line blocker right now with what we have in-house. That can be worked on.

* Trade 82, 120, 153 and a 7th rounder in 2024 with Bills for 59.

* RD 2 (59): JULIUS BRENTS (CB). Absurd frame and very solid Press Zone skills and awareness in Off Coverage. The idea that we're a Press Man team just doesn't hold up. We play a ton of Zone variations and a huge, Press Corner who can play 2 Read, 2 Zone, Cloud, Match Quarters and still give you route disruption and coverage in Man in Redzone Tight due to Press skills and that ridonkulous frame...and being a guy that isn't a liability in the run game and can tackle? This is a guy that Bowles would probably love.

ROUND 3

* RD 3 (91): ANTHONY JOHNSON JR (S). Local kid, CB-just-turned-Safety. Team Captain. Versatile, heady player with ridiculous snap experience. Still plenty to learn at the Safety position, but odds are good that he can do it as he appears to love contact, is assignment sound, and apparently loves the game. He'll be asked to match 2s and 3s in this scheme now and again and may not have the foot speed to be great there, but he can fill in the run game from deep and rotate deep from box and read and react and be assignment sound (and menacing) while doing so.

ROUND 4

* Trade 137, 176 with Jets for 112.

* RD 4 (112): DORIAN WILLIAMS (ILB). Covered him elsewhere. Start him opposite LVD. Fantastic value. Easy mover and omnidirectionally so. Instinctive player and good processor in space, stacked, on-ball, moving backward, moving laterally. Great feel for both Hole and Flat Zone assignments. Physical and technically sound attacking both ball carriers and blowing up/disrupting catch points. Diagnoses Screens and beats climbing OP to the ball. He will struggle some in B to B fits with dealing with climbers and making plays, but that is the only weakness I’m seeing.

ROUND 6

* RD 6 (196): CLAYTON TUNE (QB). Covered him elsewhere so I'll just link that http://www.itsabucslife.com/viewtopic.php?t=1266 . Make Trask earn it. Outside-zone, boot-heavy offense toolkit. Shades of Gardner Minshew and Taylor Heinicke

ROUND 7

* RD 7 (252): KEATON MITCHELL (RB). Tiny, small school, gadget RB falls due to his frame and his nicheness. I highly doubt he falls all the way to here, but scoop him if he does. Can be a Jet and Slide player for this offense and a space-and-shake player that will absolutely force missed tackles in space at the next level. Not a polished receiver at all, but he has so much juice that he can just be a problem on Screens and an extremely limited route tree.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

So...anyway, that looks alright. Would have liked to have gotten iDL help (Mazi Smith for instance), but couldn't quite make it fit. Jordan Battle for slot/box would have been a good get, but couldn't quite make that work. I had to go Edge because I'm skeptical of Shaq coming back with juice after an achilles to be honest. Yes, I know Miller just did and I know its becoming more common to bounce back, but achilles are such volatile injuries depending upon grade of tear, location of tear and the rest of your body/movement dynamics. So I prioritized Edge at 42 rather than rejiggering things for iDL or S (and then going Edge later in a deep Edge draft).

Cornerstone at RG + huge IQ/instincts/omnidirectional mover/coverage ILB to replace White in Williams + depth and playmaking and the ability to challenge for starter snaps year 1 at Edge, TE, CB, S + "make Trask earn his roster spot, fits-this-system QB" + Gadget/Jet-package juice player.
Selmon Rules

Re: Your Best Case (Reasonable) Scenario Bucs Draft 2023

Post by Selmon Rules »

I have neither the time nor knowledge of players to do what you have done. I simply want to improve our lines to begin rebuilding a solid foundation.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:08 am I have neither the time nor knowledge of players to do what you have done. I simply want to improve our lines to begin rebuilding a solid foundation.
I used to love watching fim and crunching data on the draft. It ended up being too big a time eater and getting back up to speed seems more futile by the day.

I got faith in Licht for drafting overall so long as he doesn't get too cute.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Not to mention so much of what you put it goes to guys you never hear from again. Then they get are floating around in FA one day and you're like "Hey, I remember him. I liked him, what happen?"

If we're going interior I'd rather go Peter and kick him inside. Torrence, to me, is like guard version Mekhi Becton. I think a lot is there, and could be the best in his class, but I have weight and conditioning concerns. One injury could send him down a spiral he never recovers from. I do like that you traded back for him. I have him as an early 2nd. With all that said he's a total Licht guy, plays through the whistle, and the upside is there.

Dorian would be the one I'm most excited for in this. I'd love to see your big board Nobody.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don't think they'll trade DW, but I'd be fine with that value in a rebuilding period.

Who is available at 19 with that trade back? You mentioned Pittsburgh moving up to take their tackle. Why wouldn't we want to sit tight and do the same?

Does feel like a more well rounded haul filling multiple needs with higher end picks.

Thanks for the effort as always.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

@Doctor , I don't have a Big Board to offer up I'm afraid. Haven't watched any NCAA Football in the last few years and haven't put in the work to develop my thoughts on most of these prospects. I've looked into like 30 prospects sprinkled throughout the late 1st and onward that might be targets for us and my efforts aren't remotely as rigorous as in the past so the thoughts that I have are not tremendously developed.

@Grahamburn , the OTs that might be available to us are Wright, Jones, Harrison. If we were still running Arians Gap-heavy scheme, I would say draft Wright. Jones is probably the best fit or the Outside Zone-heavy scheme we're going to be looking at with Canales. But, would I rather have Dawand Jones and only two of those three guys in the 2nd round or Torrence at RG and all three of those 2nd rounders? I opted for the latter, but I case can be made for Jones and not taking the luxury pick of Laporta at TE, for sure.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Well throw our some names you'd be thrilled to land.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:49 pm Well throw our some names you'd be thrilled to land.
There aren’t a lot of guys early I feel that way about to be honest. Those three guys in the second round I list above? I wouldn’t put any of them under the “thrilled” category. I think they all have fit/upside in them and seem to be guys we’re attached to a bit.

Brents is a high ceiling/low floor CB. I don’t love that type. If he’s used roght where he can mask his few (important for the position) weaknesses, he can flourish. But the bust potential is absolutely there.

Anudike-Uzomah isn’t as explosive up the arc as you’d like nor does he have a great Speed to Power game. Those two are kind of the staples for most success at the next level. But what he’s got works as well (see Shaq).

Laporta? Not a dominant in-line blocker nor catch point dominator.

All three of those guys have weaknesses that could absolutely signal “bavk away slowly.” But they’ve got tools to like as well. Then there are players I’d really like if we were playing in Arians Duo-heavy/Gap run game offense like Darnell Wright and Steve Avila. Outside Zone-heavy offense that requires light feet, balance, positioning, getting off the ball laterally? Not enough there to feel confident in those guys for that system.

Let me just throw some OTs out there:

* Matthew Bergeron and Blake Freeland (LT): Balance, control, processing, feet. Not much in the way of ugly snaps on tape; absolutely looks the part of a finesse LT for Outside Zone offense. If we went Mazi Smith with pick one instead of Torrence, you go Bergeron rd 2 early or Freeland rd 2 late, let that guy play LT, keep Wirfs at RT, let the guys battle it out for RG.

* Dawand Jones (RT): Already mentioned him above. Mammoth RT in an Outside Zone-heavy offense with a lot of good snaps on tape. Maybe he falls to my first 2nd round pick above. I could see Mazi Smith at 1 and Jones at RD2 PICK 1 above if he falls there.

* Anton Harrison (LT): Easy, fluid-mover, but, unlike days of yore, OKL isn’t an Outside Zone-heavy offense anymore. Given his traits, I could see Harrison becoming a good LT in this new offense….but do I feel better about him than Bergeron/Freeland who could be had with later picks? No, I don’t because its a heavy dose of projection-by-proxy.

* Jaelyn Duncan (LT): Later round version of Bergeron/Freeland because of possible lower floor/ceiling due to technical issues in his sets/hands, but man does he have the feet/balance.

+++++++++++++

Alright, here are a few more Safeties (besides Anthony Johnson Sr listed in lead post):

* Jordan Battle (S): Good value for a mid-round player. Bowles-type of player with versatility. He can play at the LoS, as an overhang defender or Slot/Box, and solid 2 Deep defender. Doesn't have all the athletic traits (burst and long speed) you want, but he's got the instincts/IQ, physicality, snap consistency, sufficient change of direction and fluidity, and versatility to be an effective player (particularly in this defense).

* Sydney Brown (S): Again, good value for a mid-round player. Explosive, fluid athlete who overwhelmingly played as a Box/Overhang/Slot player, but given his movement skills, he can absolutely rotate to Single High and 2 Deep. Absolutely capable coverage player and play-maker. His biggest issue is tackling. Hugely inconsistent. That will play you right out of a role in a Bowles defense. If you don't tackle in the open field and fail to make the plays schemed up for you because you can't get your man to the ground? You won't play.

* JL Skinner (S/NCB): Later pick (maybe 5thish?). We need a Nickel/Sub-package Safety and Skinner could possibly be that guy. Huge frame and radius with short-area-burst. Made plays with that short area quickness, willingness to attack ball carriers with aggression and the frame to get them to the ground. Enough instincts to be a Hook/Seam/Buzz/Quarters defender on the inside or to play around the LoS just like what you want for that role in this defense. Can get away with a little Man Coverage there so long as he's not tasked with turning and burning (deep speed and hips aren't there). Effective niche or inside/sub player might be his ceiling, but he can probably do that and be a good special teamer as well.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Here is an alternative where Calijah Kancey is there at 19 and Dawand Jones is there at 39. This one is a bit mote preferable than the lead post though much less probable imo.

++++++++++

DRAFT-NIGHT TRADE

* Devin White to Buffalo. I don't see us getting a 2nd in return here, but how about Buffalo's 3rd (91) and a 5th (137).

ROUND 1

* RD 1 (19): CALIJAH KANCEY (IDL). Absolute freakish in terms of explosiveness, motor, and the leverage he plays with. Pash Rush suite and playing with a rush plan is there. Because of how quick he gets off the ball, the target area for him is tiny and gives iOL fits. Should generate a ton of penetration, disruption, and holding calls at the next level. The major issue I see is that this doesn't solve our "light box" problem unless Bowles just goes with "eff it, he generates so much penetration and disruption that we can deal with the reality that when a double team finds him he's toast." But that almost surely isn't happening, so he doesn't give us that 2 x iDL light box versatility (which is why a player later like Mazi Smith might be the way to go). But he gives this scheme something its never had and he would be a massive asset in the Stunt/Twist game with his explosiveness and flexibility. He would absolutely draw iOL away from blitzing 2nd level players because of his suddenness and his threat to get up the arc even if his first step/move is lateral.

ROUND 2

* Trade up 11 spots with Panthers to get ahead of the Saints (our 50, 153 and 181 for their 39).

* RD 2 (39): DAWAND JONES (RT): Mammoth RT in an Outside Zone-heavy offense with a large number of very capable Outside Zone snaps on tape. Even when his footwork is a bit ploddy and his balance isn't perfect, its good enough to combine with his just absurd size, length, and strength in his hands that it gets the job done. He also gives you the option to mix in Duo and Gap runs because his size, punch, length, and strength will have him just mauling people on singles and embarrassing folks on doubles with Otton. Just keep him out of 1v1 Vertical Sets against talent Speed Rushers on 3rd and long and you should be alright.

ROUND 3

* RD 3 (82): TRE’VIUS HODGES-TOMLINSON (CB). Tiny CB but fantastic movement skills, efficient footwork, explosive change-of-direction, and click-and-close from Off Coverage is elite. Despite his size, attacks the catch point and forces a gang of incompletions by working through hands of receivers with physicality and timing. We need another CB and he can play both inside and out. Will get manhandled in Press against big WRs on the outside...so just keep him out of that situation (which, again, we aren't in nearly that much).

* RD 3 (91): ANTHONY JOHNSON JR (S). Local kid, CB-just-turned-Safety. Team Captain. Versatile, heady player with ridiculous snap experience. Still plenty to learn at the Safety position, but odds are good that he can do it as he appears to love contact, is assignment sound, and apparently loves the game. He'll be asked to match 2s and 3s in this scheme now and again and may not have the foot speed to be great there, but he can fill in the run game from deep and rotate deep from box and read and react and be assignment sound (and menacing) while doing so.

ROUND 4

* Trade 137, 179 with Jets for 112.

* RD 4 (112): DORIAN WILLIAMS (ILB). Covered him elsewhere. Start him opposite LVD. Fantastic value. Easy mover and omnidirectionally so. Instinctive player and good processor in space, stacked, on-ball, moving backward, moving laterally. Great feel for both Hole and Flat Zone assignments. Physical and technically sound attacking both ball carriers and blowing up/disrupting catch points. Diagnoses Screens and beats climbing OP to the ball. He will struggle some in B to B fits with dealing with climbers and making plays, but that is the only weakness I’m seeing.

ROUND 5

* RD 5 (175): BRENTON STRANGE (TE). Capable in the typical demands of the H-back, move role in terms of blocking, receiving, and working after the catch. Athletic but not freaky. Not a catch-point dominator, not a point-of-attack dominator, not a run-by-you nor shake-you-with-slick-routerunning type, not a stiff-arm-you-into-oblivion after catch type. But has enough of everything for a role and a Special Teams contributor.

ROUND 6

* RD 6 (196): CLAYTON TUNE (QB). Covered him elsewhere so I'll just link that http://www.itsabucslife.com/viewtopic.php?t=1266 . Make Trask earn it. Outside-zone, boot-heavy offense toolkit. Shades of Gardner Minshew and Taylor Heinicke

ROUND 7

* RD 7 (252): KEATON MITCHELL (RB). Tiny, small school, gadget RB falls due to his frame and his nicheness. I highly doubt he falls all the way to here, but scoop him if he does. Can be a Jet and Slide player for this offense and a space-and-shake player that will absolutely force missed tackles in space at the next level. Not a polished receiver at all, but he has so much juice that he can just be a problem on Screens and an extremely limited route tree.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MUCH prefer the second one as well! Love the Kancey pick. A name we have not said nearly as much as he deserves. Actually, the entire iDL class is really underspoken for having guys who have some nice traits.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

19. Nolan Smith, LB. Think he can do a lot of things in Bowles D, could be a rusher off the edge for us or even an eventual Devin White replacement. He’s a tweener but dude is a baller and a specimen and I’ll take the chance here assuming the top 4 OTs are gone.

50. Dawand Jones, RT. Move Wirfs to LT as he’ll get paid as one. Jones was surprisingly good in pass protection and is a people mover in the run game.

82. Kyu Blu Kelly, CB. Brian Kelly’s son!

Rd 4. Tank Bigsby, RB. Probably would have to trade up for him, but he’d be a great complement to White and is the physical runner Bowles wants. Can be the guy who takes the beating in short yardage to keep White fresh.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Love Nolan Smith's tape and those combine results are absolutely legit because those underwear traits he showed clearly translate to the field. And he does not play like a 230-whatever lb Edge vs the run. You can find grown-man snaps of shocking tackles > easily controlling the outside arm and quarter to contain Zone runs or bounces and you can find him reading and taking on mammoth pulling Guards and ending that pull in the backfield.

Would love that pick.

I just don't see Smith reaching us at 19 after that combine, unfortunately.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:12 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:08 am I have neither the time nor knowledge of players to do what you have done. I simply want to improve our lines to begin rebuilding a solid foundation.
I used to love watching fim and crunching data on the draft. It ended up being too big a time eater and getting back up to speed seems more futile by the day.

He will get cute. He always does. I recall him trading up one year to grab Roberto Aguayo who turned out to be a major bust. Last year, he traded out of the first round and drafted someone who clearly wasn't ready to start day one. And we all know he values the skill positions over the trenches. This is his tenth year as GM and I can recall him drafting only two O-Linemen really high. Fat Smitty and Wirfs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am
_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:12 pm

He will get cute. He always does. I recall him trading up one year to grab Roberto Aguayo who turned out to be a major bust. Last year, he traded out of the first round and drafted someone who clearly wasn't ready to start day one. And we all know he values the skill positions over the trenches. This is his tenth year as GM and I can recall him drafting only two O-Linemen really high. Fat Smitty and Wirfs.
Sigh. Ali Marpet. Alex Cappa. Stalwarts of a Super Bowl Championship offensive line.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Nobody wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:54 am Love Nolan Smith's tape and those combine results are absolutely legit because those underwear traits he showed clearly translate to the field. And he does not play like a 230-whatever lb Edge vs the run. You can find grown-man snaps of shocking tackles > easily controlling the outside arm and quarter to contain Zone runs or bounces and you can find him reading and taking on mammoth pulling Guards and ending that pull in the backfield.

Would love that pick.

I just don't see Smith reaching us at 19 after that combine, unfortunately.
I could be wrong but according to my draft math (lol) either Smith or one of the 4 top OTs will make it to 19. I think the 4 OTs go though and that would leave us with Smith. Obviously this is making many assumptions including that no one jumps ahead of us for him, but I think his size causes him to fall into our laps and think we are the perfect landing spot.

Seems Bowles is being given the year to show his vision so wouldn’t be shocked if we go defence at 19- especially if the top OTs are gone.

Smith just seems like the type of chess piece Bowles dreams of and like you said, he isn’t just an athlete he’s got the toughness and play strength of a bigger man.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am

Sigh. Ali Marpet. Alex Cappa. Stalwarts of a Super Bowl Championship offensive line.

Who couldnt block good enough for a decent running game.. (28th best)
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It's definitely a stain on that trophy. I don't know how they'll ever get over it.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

You got me on Marpet but Cappa was round 3. I wouldn't call that high (2nd round or higher is high for me).

Back to the OP. I like your mentality, but this team would be better off standing pat or trading down just a couple spots and drafting one of the four tackles projected in the late teens/early 20s. Left tackle is a premium position and you can't afford to go soft on it, especially if you plan on trying to get a franchise QB next year. You can always manufacture guards as some high round tackle busts end up becoming serviceable guards.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am Last year, he traded out of the first round and drafted someone who clearly wasn't ready to start day one.
You know what's allowed right?

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am And we all know he values the skill positions over the trenches. This is his tenth year as GM and I can recall him drafting only two O-Linemen really high. Fat Smitty and Wirfs.
When did you start watching, last year? Jason Licht played in the trenches, made his bones scouting the trenches, and spends more time on trenches than anywhere else.

Four of our SB OL were drafted by Licht the other a great FA pick up. The recent "splurge on WR" stuff was a from "giving Tom what he wants" which would obviously be more targets and not so much OL depth who may or may not play. Guess what, they had to play. It wasn't great.

But this notion of "you have to draft the position in the first or you don't care about it" is just nonsense. So because he drafted Ali in the bottom of the 2nd instead of the first round.... what? He cares less? He values him less? Our starting CBs and probowl safety were all Day 2 picks, does that mean he "doesn't care about the secondary"?

Not to mention the whole notion falls flat given he's literally only ever drafted two WRs in the top 3 in his ten years. Smash hits too.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 am

You got me on Marpet but Cappa was round 3. I wouldn't call that high (2nd round or higher is high for me).

Back to the OP. I like your mentality, but this team would be better off standing pat or trading down just a couple spots and drafting one of the four tackles projected in the late teens/early 20s. Left tackle is a premium position and you can't afford to go soft on it, especially if you plan on trying to get a franchise QB next year. You can always manufacture guards as some high round tackle busts end up becoming serviceable guards.
I agree that Offensive Tackle is a premium position, but I'm not of the opinion that (a) you can just "manufacture (good) Guard play" nor (b) that Guard play isn't also a premium position. I think the league has born that out over the last 10-12 years or so with a lot of rules-changes regarding Roughing (that have mostly affected speed rush up the C arc players), offense changes (the huge usage rate of The Quick Game + ZRO/RPO and Split Zone and Jet Action to cognitively tangle up Edge rushers + the boots and moving pockets), and defensive changes (stressing interior pressure with iDL personnel and the athletes playing that position + the huge usage rate of Stunts and Twists combined with 2nd level blitzes) that iOL is absolutely a premium position. And those attempts to "manufacture (good) Guard play" fails at a very high rate (to the serious detriment of the offenses that suffer them; I give you Tampa Bay last year).

Regarding the Offensive Tackles in this draft and our team specifically, if we were still running the Arians system which stresses verticality and a lot of Post/Seam + Dig or Dagger Concepts and a lot of Duo/Inside Zone and Gap in the running game, I would feel differently about this early OT class. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the Seattle Seahawks system has run more Outside Zone than anyone in the league in the least 7 years and its only increased with time. You combine that with all of the x-action + boots/pocket movement, and the OTs that you want playing the position in this offense (and the demands upon them) are VERY different than what we've had in Arians and Koetter's offenses of the last 8 years. So here is how I look at them for this offense in particular:

* PARIS JOHNSON: In one of the most Outside Zone-heavy offenses in the NCAA and he has both (a) shown the suite of traits and the tools to perform Outside Zone OT-work and (b) put the actual tape out there in such an offense to make a relatively easy projection. If Johnson is there, yes, you absolutely take him and put at him at LT for this team. But the odds that Johnson makes it to 19 are remote. It would require a significant trade up and loss of premium asset(s). Can this team afford to do that with all of the holes (starters and depth it has)?

* ANTON HARRISON: While OKL used to have an enormously high Outside Zone usage rate, they are almost exclusively an Inside Zone/Gap offense now. Draft him for Arians offense? Sure. This one? Well...he isn't an explosive mover, but he's a very fluid mover with a lot of traits (except the ability to generate game-changing power through his posterior chain/core to anchor against brutal Speed to Power and be a people-mover in the run game). So can he become an Outside Zone-heavy OT that with all of the technical, movement, balance (upper and lower half) demands of that system? Maybe? But we don't have tape of him doing it at a rate that we can do anything more than look at those traits, look at an extremely small sample size, project & hope. This guy is the most likely to be there at 19...but I don't love projecting via proxies and small sample sizes & hoping as a strategy at 19 in the draft. That doesn't work out a LOT.

* BRODERICK JONES: Similar to Harrison above as he is there just aren't enough Outside Zone snaps on tape in that offense he is in. And he doesn't possess the toolkit that Harrison has for Outside Zone. He's got some of it, but he doesn't have Harrison's enormous length and consistent work with his hands/striking. Outside Zone is enormously demanding both on footwork/balance/lateral movement and technical, consistent hand-usage. That latter is a problem for Jones. Put him in an Inside Zone, Gap-heavy offense, and feel confident enough. I just don't know about him moving laterally and winning with feet and hands at the rate he would have to do in this offense.

* PETER SKORONSKI: No chance to make it to 19 so pointless to even entertain the conversation.

+++++++++++++++++

So you're (well I am at least) looking at Johnson + a trade-up (likely a hefty one) or heavily projecting Harrison or Jones at 19 (one of them isn't making it there) and only one of them shows the total suite of traits and technical toolkit for an Outside Zone offense; Harrison. But...you haven't seen it so you're hoping he can "upload the Outside Zone software patch" and be that player at the NFL level against NFL talent. I don't love that at 19. Trade back and take Harrison in the mid-20s? Ok, that works (that was one I pondered when I went about this exercise) + there is a real possibility (with that frame + his traits) that Johnson becomes a better pro than Dawand Jones, at least by late year 2 or 3 (Jones would likely be a better pro early in an Outside Zone offense because of his significant experience + that EZMode-Making Frame he has to work with. But Jones floor is pretty high imo because of all of that experience and because of his kit.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Warren McClendon ?
John Ojukwu ?
Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu ?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I was looking at what a reasonable draft where we traded up for Paris Johnson would look like and it would take a lot to move up to get him:

* We'd have to move up to 8 (ATL) in front of Chicago OT2 will be taken off the board most likely.

* In order to do that, it would look something like this (most likely):

TB

RD1: 19
RD2: 50
RD3: 82

ATL

RD1: 8
RD4: 113

"Ouch."

Given that haul given up for Paris Johnson, the best draft that includes him would look like this:

RD1: 8 - PARIS JOHNSON (LT)

and with trade-ups perhaps:

TRE’VIUS HODGES-TOMLINSON (CB)
ANTHONY JOHNSON SR (S)
KARL BROOKS (IDL/EDGE Sub)
DORIAN WILLIAMS(ILB)
CLAYTON TUNE (QB)
KEATON MITCHELL (RB)
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Trade back, pick up a 4th. All selections will be deemed *Jason Licht Special Project WIP*

C’mon LFG!
Let the healing begin!
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

O/U on OL selected?

JL knows 8-)
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some of those were awful takes.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

My best case scenario:

- We draft an offensive lineman who can at least compete for a starting tackle spot if not win it outright.
- Ditto for a corner to compete for the nickel gig.
- A pass rusher with juice is added, either inside or outside.
- We get a running back who we can trust with #2 snaps behind White.

If we hit those four marks, I'd be pretty pleased.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

My best case scenario is that the Bucs somehow draft Anthony Richardson without giving up 2024 draft assets or punt on this draft to acquire 2024 draft picks.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Naismith wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:54 pm My best case scenario is that the Bucs somehow draft Anthony Richardson without giving up 2024 draft assets or punt on this draft to acquire 2024 draft picks.
I wouldn’t even be mad at this point. Just keep swinging for the fences.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Richardson reminds me of Vick a lot but not in the way you'd think. It's his nice deep ball but mind-boggling awful short range accuracy. But hey, Vick managed to make a not too shabby career out of it.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:30 pm Richardson reminds me of Vick a lot but not in the way you'd think. It's his nice deep ball but mind-boggling awful short range accuracy. But hey, Vick managed to make a not too shabby career out of it.
The years lost from that dogfighting shit are going to keep him out of the hall.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

The floor is so high with Richardson, but his ceiling is the appealing part. If he actually does develop to his full potential, you suddenly can compete with Mahomes and Allen, and you're doing it from the NFC which is a big advantage.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:34 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:30 pm Richardson reminds me of Vick a lot but not in the way you'd think. It's his nice deep ball but mind-boggling awful short range accuracy. But hey, Vick managed to make a not too shabby career out of it.
The years lost from that dogfighting shit are going to keep him out of the hall.
That.

And his actual playing career.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:50 pm
_MB_ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:34 pm
That.

And his actual playing career.
I'm not that tough on him, but that's just me.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Tons of Edge talent in R1, same with OT. I'm happy with one or the other.
I am neutral if we go DT/TE/IOL in R1. Washington/Meyer/Kimcaid wouldn't be horrible... some DT with upside... O'Cyrus a great OG.
I am disappointed if we go WR/DB in R1. Especially sad if we go DB.
I am irrationally optimistic if we go Bijan/QB in R1. Exciting potential but not the "right" pick strategically...

I think Nolan Smith is my favorite realistic pick.