Welcome Calijah Kancey

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Welcome Calijah Kancey

Post by Bootz »

Undersized, one-gapping defensive tackle who is explosive and productive. He’s a strong and determined player, but Kancey is still going to be a hit-or-miss run defender due to his lack of mass and length. While he will get pushed around at times, his first-step quickness and short memory allow him to make tackles in the backfield. He’s a nightmare for offenses as a pass rusher. His twitchy feet can slide and reset points of attack. His leverage and motor are often too much for guards to handle alone. Kancey might be most effective as a rotational run defender and full-time, sub-package rusher, but his size will not define him in the NFL.

Welcome, CK
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Re: Welcome Calijah Klancey

Post by Snake »

Hall, Vea, Klancey

I call them Rainbow Six.
Doctor

Re: Welcome Calijah Kancey

Post by Doctor »

Great pick. He was on my short list.

But it just kills me we passed on Branch.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Remember that time when Jason Licht drafted all the corners until he had Davis, Dean, and Bunting?

Might be doing it with dline now
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

NFL.com

Pre-Draft Analysis
Kancey is a disruptive run defender and explosive pass-rusher with the unique skill set to overcome his lack of size and length. His initial quickness, low center of gravity and ability to shoot his hands make it tougher to move him in the run game. He locates the ball, gets off blocks and chases with great effort. He has violent hands, explosive power and closing speed -- he ran the fastest 40-yard dash for a defensive tackle at the NFL combine since 2006 -- to get to the quarterback. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's NFL comp: Grady Jarrett

Read: Kancey's record day at the NFL combine
Post-Draft Analysis
Kancey needed to go to a team that uses a heavy rotation along the interior and could pair him with an established player on the inside. He gets exactly that alongside Vita Vea. Kancey's electric first step should translate well in Todd Bowles' penetrating defense. He totaled 7.5 sacks last season, the most in the FBS by a defensive tackle. -- Jordan Reid

Projected Year 1 impact: High-impact Day 1 starter. Kancey is a fantastic pass-rusher with awesome take-off quickness, which could make him Tampa Bay's next Gerald McCoy-type 3-technique. He'll be a rookie starter with double-digit sack potential. -- Miller
Kona

Post by Kona »

I don’t love the system fit. But if he ends up being a baller who cares?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:36 pm NFL.com

Pre-Draft Analysis
Kancey is a disruptive run defender and explosive pass-rusher with the unique skill set to overcome his lack of size and length. His initial quickness, low center of gravity and ability to shoot his hands make it tougher to move him in the run game. He locates the ball, gets off blocks and chases with great effort. He has violent hands, explosive power and closing speed -- he ran the fastest 40-yard dash for a defensive tackle at the NFL combine since 2006 -- to get to the quarterback. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's NFL comp: Grady Jarrett

Read: Kancey's record day at the NFL combine
Post-Draft Analysis
Kancey needed to go to a team that uses a heavy rotation along the interior and could pair him with an established player on the inside. He gets exactly that alongside Vita Vea. Kancey's electric first step should translate well in Todd Bowles' penetrating defense. He totaled 7.5 sacks last season, the most in the FBS by a defensive tackle. -- Jordan Reid

Projected Year 1 impact: High-impact Day 1 starter. Kancey is a fantastic pass-rusher with awesome take-off quickness, which could make him Tampa Bay's next Gerald McCoy-type 3-technique. He'll be a rookie starter with double-digit sack potential. -- Miller
He compares to McCoy? Really?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I talked about it in the draft thread, but I'll repost the thought here. Us drafting Calijah Kancey is a direct indictment on Logan Hall.

But yeah, Kancey has some skills. First-team All-American as a defensive tackle, 7.5 sacks last year. On passrushing downs, he seems about as tricky to block as a 280lb bar of soap.

I said in the Draft Forum big board thread before the draft that he would be in the running for the best interior pass rusher on the team the minute we drafted him, and I stand by that. But he didn't fit the profile for how I thought Bowles liked his defensive linemen, and I don't know if I'd trust him as a base defense defender anytime soon. But even if all he does is make noise up the middle on third downs, that's not a bad thing.

Not the direction I woulda gone at that spot in the draft, but I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Welcome to Tampa, Calijah.
Last edited by Cheb on Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Cheb wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:41 pm Us drafting Calijah Kancey is a direct indictment on Logan Hall.
What.... how?
You know Vea has two other players next to him right?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

His highlight reel is great
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:44 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:41 pm Us drafting Calijah Kancey is a direct indictment on Logan Hall.
What.... how?
He’s gonna go great as a 5T huh?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:44 pm His highlight reel is great
I've really enjoyed watching his reel the past 15 minutes or so. I can't wait to see how we utilize him. He's gonna bring some spice to the pass rush.
Kona

Post by Kona »

He was probably best player available. You find ways to make that work if you’re a competent staff right?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:44 pm
What.... how?
When we drafted Logan Hall, Todd Bowles referred to him as "3-tech" in the first few sentences of talking with him on the phone. Logan Hall had a very underwhelming rookie season, and we just added a prototypical 3-tech defensive lineman in the first round of the draft.

Calijah Kancey just took Logan Hall's job at the position we drafted him to play. Looked at another way, this is a less dramatic version of Josh Rosen and Kyler Murray in Arizona.

Yes, Logan will still get his snaps presumably, but us drafting Kancey just put his ass on notice.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hall won’t be here in 12 months prob.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Snake wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:00 pm Hall won’t be here in 12 months prob.
We need a rotation at dt. Nacho is gone so we could use another dt this weekend.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Love it
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

From draft thread:
Deja Entendu wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:49 pm PR tweeted about Kancey awhile back, and a pretty savvy Bucs fan pointed out how he compares favorably to Donald… besides in Alma Mater and measurables.

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Good breakdown from Simms. He had Kancy as his #2 DT and believes in the Aaron Donald comp.

real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Kona wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:39 pm I don’t love the system fit. But if he ends up being a baller who cares?
Gotta think Bowles hand chose him. Guess that gives me hope.

But man, sucks after taking Hall last year to basically be giving up on him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:23 pm
Kona wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:39 pm I don’t love the system fit. But if he ends up being a baller who cares?

Why do people keep saying this?

If we took the field Sunday, our starting DL would be CK, Vita, and Hall. We needed bodies.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:16 pm Good breakdown from Simms. He had Kancy as his #2 DT and believes in the Aaron Donald comp.

Great… I was all excited, but a Simms endorsement worries me.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 pm

If we took the field Sunday, our starting DL would be CK, Vita, and Hall. We needed bodies.
Agreed. Gives us a Dl talent we don’t currently have. I think Gaines starts at first but Kancey goes in on passing downs
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Kancey + Vea is a scary front and elevates the entire D around it.

Need JTS to really step up and hopefully Shaq comes back strong
Last edited by Sdbucs on Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Hall ain’t seeing the field over Gaines lol
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 pm

Who is Gaines?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:35 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 pm

Who is Gaines?
The guy who started next to Donald in LA.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Internet opinions:

“I have him firmly in the 3rd tier of DTs. His size can’t just be brushed off. He is VERY small for a DT, and it shows up on tape. Both in terms of length and weight. If a decent OL gets their hands into him, that ends the rep the majority of the time.

He lacks the power to stand his ground against decent competition, and he gets washed completely out on double teams. He makes the occasional highlight play based on his pure athleticism, but he disappears for long stretches of the game at a time.

He may have a niche role as a rotational pure pass rusher, or MAYBE a power DE, but he’s not an every down DT in the NFL.“

“He has an excellent first step, great hand usage, good reactive athleticism, and production across the d-line including occasional 0T, 5T, and everything in between. That being said, his size can't just be brushed off as a "in spite of" situation.

Looking through every 1st or 2nd string iDL in the NFL, here's a list of guys listed at 6'0" or shorter:

Poona Ford
DJ Jones
Khalen Saunders

All 3 of those guys are 310+ pounds. At 270-275 pounds he's just gonna get swallowed up too often. Plenty of productive college guys enter the draft at 6'0" 275 each year, and they rarely draw much NFL interest unless a team wants to go the small nose guard route.

Even if you push it up to 6'1", you only get four more names. All of these guys are either 310+ pounds (Benito Jones, Greg Gaines), or have generational athleticism (Aaron Donald, Ed Oliver).”
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

1) We should trust Bowles’ defensive mind to properly deploy our DL personnel.

2) If Hall is a bust then I’m glad we moved on quickly.

3) Kancy looks unblockable sometimes. If he can play anything like that in the NFL we won’t care what happens to Hall. If Hall can play he will find his way on the field.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

The more I look at this pick the more I like it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:35 pm

Who is Gaines?
The guy who started next to Donald in LA.
Got you
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 pm

1) We should trust Bowles’ defensive mind to properly deploy our DL personnel.

2) If Hall is a bust then I’m glad we moved on quickly.

3) Kancy looks unblockable sometimes. If he can play anything like that in the NFL we won’t care what happens to Hall. If Hall can play he will find his way on the field.
You can be glad to move on quickly, but you gotta be able to admit it’s disappointing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“I’m sorry, but I can’t live with the outlier that Kancey has with his arms. This isn’t just something where you’re like, “oh yeah, it’ll be fine because he was good and has trait ABC.” It is absolutely unprecedented for an IDL to have success with his arm length. Maybe he breaks the mold, but I don’t wanna be the team on the hook for trying.”

“DTs with arms 31 inches or shorter since 2000:

David Parry, Antwaun Woods, Dan Klecko, Elijah Qualls, Tenny Palepoi, Colby Whitlock

Calijah Kancey -- 30 5/8"

For reference:

Aaron Donald - 32 5/8”

Ed Oliver - 31 3/4”

Geno Atkins - 32”

I’ll pass.”

“I think Kancey is the epitome of drafting Jimmer Fredette in hopes that he becomes Steph Curry, or Aaron Donald in this case. I’m all for swinging for the fences but if you completely ignore physical thresholds that’s how you can end up drafting Jimmer ahead of Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard.”

More positive….

“Kancey to me is a 3T DT purely because his extreme lack of length. While many are going to be turned off by this, I refuse to believe someone with Kancey athleticism and impeccable hand fighting at the line will not have an impact in the NFL”
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:39 pm The more I look at this pick the more I like it.
I’m in the opposite boat. Him being that small is making me nervous. Maybe he can thrive with Vita eating double teams, but Vita also isn’t always healthy and he may be easily gameplanned out of the game without him there.