Welcome Calijah Kancey

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
real bucs fan

Re: Welcome Calijah Kancey

Post by real bucs fan »

If Hall is already a bust and Kancey busts, that’s a brutal couple of years for Jason Licht
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:48 pm If Hall is already a bust and Kancey busts, that’s a brutal couple of years for Jason Licht
Look at that 2021 draft. It's already been rough.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Do some of you watch a different sport or something?

First, and I can't believe I need to say this, THIS IS WHY YOU DRAFT BPA. You don't pass on Warren Sapp because you have Chris Hovan. When you can land a player you think can be that for you, you get a player like that. Period.

Second, I get wanting every first rounder to be a all pro because "they were a first rounder" but it doesn't work that way. Do you think there are 32 all pros every draft? And not every player needs to be that. William Gholston was a great player for us for a long time. It's great he was a 4th round pick, but if he was a first round pick that wouldn't change that he was a great player for us for a really long time. To think some would actually hold it against him because of some wild standard of all pro or bust mixed with a weird obsession with "value" is insane to me.

There are a lot of packages and a lot of snaps that need to be played on this defense. Hall will have plenty of chances to make plenty of good plays for us. Are we really going to send him to walk the plank just because a Kancey fell on our laps? Let him get his sophomore year in for pete's sake.
Last edited by Doctor on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Def a boom/bust pick imo. He’s either gonna be a game changer or wash out of this league very quickly. Don’t see a 7 year jag here
Kona

Post by Kona »

Kancey and Hall have very different styles of game. Hall is supposed to be a rich man’s Gholston while Kancey is poor man’s Donald/Sapp . If we can get 75% Donald Sapp out of him and Hall can give us plus 25% Gholston those are some nice players to have on the DL next to Vea.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Not saying it’s a bad pick at all. But for the teams sake, he either better be amazing or Hall better step. Can’t strike out twice at the same position two years in a row and live to tell about it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Says all the right things you'd want to hear.
Nano

Post by Nano »

I really like this pick
MJW

Post by MJW »

5 of the last 6 Licht first rounders (if we cheat a little and count Logan Hall) have been front seven players.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:40 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 pm

The guy who started next to Donald in LA.
Got you
The guy who started next to Vea at Washington..
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:09 am

Says all the right things you'd want to hear.
He does say all the right things.

One thing he said (twice) is that he didn’t have a ton of conversation with the Bucs so he wasn’t expecting this…which makes sense. I really can’t believe he and Nolan Smith were both available at 19. I’m sure Licht et al weren’t expecting that and, while he doesn’t say it, I suspect Calijah didn’t expect it either.

And on that note, I can’t imagine the frustration of being a Detroit Lions fan this morning…
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Licht is gonna live and die by this one. Not gonna act like I heard of this guy. It's clear we keyed in on him and only him
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

These Are The Days wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am Licht is gonna live and die by this one. Not gonna act like I heard of this guy. It's clear we keyed in on him and only him
Curious why you would say the above?

The evidence (including the very limited contact between he and the Bucs that he cites in the interview) points in the opposite direction; that the Bucs were expecting him to go iDL2 to Seattle, Detroit, or Philly and the way the draft sorted itself out (because of Detroit’s dumbassery and Carter dropping primarily), he fell to the Bucs (who weren’t expecting him to be there).

Its pretty clear that Big Boards were all over the place this year, but there were absolutely informed people out there who had Kancey as the 2nd prospect at a premium position with 3-4 teams needing that position early.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Nobody wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:58 am
These Are The Days wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am Licht is gonna live and die by this one. Not gonna act like I heard of this guy. It's clear we keyed in on him and only him

The evidence (including the very limited contact between he and the Bucs that he cites in the interview) points in the opposite direction; that the Bucs were expecting him to go iDL2 to Seattle, Detroit, or Philly and the way the draft sorted itself out (because of Detroit’s dumbassery and Carter dropping primarily), he fell to the Bucs (who weren’t expecting him to be there).

Its pretty clear that Big Boards were all over the place this year, but there were absolutely informed people out there who had Kancey as the 2nd prospect at a premium position with 3-4 teams needing that position early.
How do you see us using him since he's pretty clearly a 3tech and a 3tech only?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

PFF liked our pick.
R1 (19) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: DI CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH

Pick Grade: Very Good

He might be undersized, but Kancey is a phenomenal pass-rusher on the interior. His first step is elite, and he’s coming off a season where he led all players at the position with a 92.4 PFF pass-rushing grade. The Pittsburgh product should make an immediate impact in Tampa Bay.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 am
Nobody wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:58 am

How do you see us using him since he's pretty clearly a 3tech and a 3tech only?
He looks like he could stand up and play edge if they wanted him to. I think Bowles will use him all over.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'm excited about the pick. He adds to the pass rush, which was complete shit last season. CK looks very dynamic and uses his hands very well. He'll help make us better on defense.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I did not know who this guy was when his name was called. After watching his tape from highlights, this is the first time I've felt Bucs have drafted an athletic maniac who is god level on one trait, probably the most important trait there is, rush the passer. He has all of that psycho energy, combined with some of the sickest pass rushing moves I've ever seen from an interior d-lineman I've ever seen in college or pros. I'm sure I'll get laughed at for my over optimism around here, but I feel like we may have drafted our perennial DPOY contender for the next decade, barring injuries.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I’ve warmed up to the pick. Still have some concerns, especially his run D/size, would have preferred Levi’s, Harrison or Nolan Smith, but I like his pass rushing ability and we are thin on DL. Hoping this works out.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

You know who his measurements are literally identical to?!?!?

Sapp...so let's hold our horses on grading this kid for a couple of years.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lots of times teams don't have much contact with players because they know what they need to know. People tend to misuse meetings as a gage of interest, which in a way it is, but its more of an indication of interest WITH questions you want answered.

Only had one player ahead of Kancey and he's still on the board.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Kancey clearly was Bowles saying this is the defender I want. Think Licht had a list of offensive players that they’d take if they fell, but since they didn’t they let Bowles add the best “weapon” for the D. Licht in the presser said they had some creative ideas of how they were going to use him already. We’ll see how it works out. I’d have taken Nolan Smith myself.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If Kancey wasn't there Smith would've likely been the pick I think.

Kancey is like a defensive Young in that everything you want from talent to technique to polish is excellent, the only question is how much size will play a role.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:04 am If Kancey wasn't there Smith would've likely been the pick I think.

Kancey is like a defensive Young in that everything you want from talent to technique to polish is excellent, the only question is how much size will play a role.
Or like an opposite of Anthony Richardson

Doesn’t have the measurables but has shown he can play vs Richardson who has the measurables but hasn’t shown that he can
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:50 am Kancey clearly was Bowles saying this is the defender I want. Think Licht had a list of offensive players that they’d take if they fell, but since they didn’t they let Bowles add the best “weapon” for the D. Licht in the presser said they had some creative ideas of how they were going to use him already. We’ll see how it works out. I’d have taken Nolan Smith myself.
I'm high on Nolan Smith myself, but in many ways he was always much riskier a pick than Kancey and I don't believe his ceiling is high enough to justify to put him ahead of Kancey. I'd argue that Kancey has a higher floor and the same ceiling as Smith. Smith always looked like a guy that should be an insanely good pass rusher with that unbelievable get off and speed, but he was always a much more productive run stopper than a pass rusher, even in terms of simply applying pressures. There was no productivity in the pass rushing department at college level ever to make a safe assumption that he can take that next step in pros. Bowles' blitz and stunt heavy style may have gotten the best out of Smith. I was rooting for Nolan Smith to be our pick and feel much better about Kancey ending up a Buc.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

To be clear here Kancey is still 281lb, not 230lb. Is it historically on the smaller side, sure. Have players had absolutely HOF worthy success at that size, also yes.

And before anyone tries to jump down my throat for blind optimism go check the receipts, I had Kancy over Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy and Lukas Van Ness. Kancey (size) was behind only Carter (weight/off field) on my board, so this isn't hindsight. Kancey is a smash pick.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Nolan Smith would've been a great addition as well. But that's the nature of the draft. You can't take everyone so you have to make decisions. I think both Kancey and Smith have the tools to become great pros.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You know who else would be a great addition? Brian Branch. Do it Dom!
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’ll defer to Bowles obviously, he knows better than me, but seems we have massive holes still
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 am Nolan Smith would've been a great addition as well. But that's the nature of the draft. You can't take everyone so you have to make decisions. I think both Kancey and Smith have the tools to become great pros.
I'm confused about Smith, I guess people are thinking he will breakout now that he's a pro.

Three years of less than 21 tackles??
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:33 pm Great pick. He was on my short list.

But it just kills me we passed on Branch.
Kills me we passed on Harrison and Torrence (although Torrence is still on the board). There are gaping holes on the O-Line, but Licht went D-Line again. That tells me he either thinks Hall is a bust in the making or Bowles was dickriding him.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Vea and Kancey as thunder and lighting of an interior Dline?

Excited to see this kid. Hoping for the best.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Okay, clearly I need to say it again for those who just came in the room so I'll make it bigger...

THIS IS WHY YOU DRAFT BPA.

You don't pass on Warren Sapp because you have Chris Hovan.
When you can land a player you think can be that for you, you get a player like that. Period.

Kancey being a baller is completely independent of Hall. And to try to use it as a way of moving the needle on Hall after just one year insane.
Last edited by Doctor on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 am Okay, clearly I need to say it again for those who just came in the room so I'll make it bigger...

When you can land a player you think can be that for you, you get a player like that. Period.
aren't you a draft for needs guy? lol
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:25 am
Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 am Okay, clearly I need to say it again for those who just came in the room so I'll make it bigger...

aren't you a draft for needs guy? lol
I certainly am. And right now, the Bucs biggest need is on the other side of where they drafted. If Licht really has some balls, he'll trade into the top of tonight's round and grab Torrence