Welcome Cody Mauch

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Welcome Cody Mauch

Post by Bootz »

@13F11B Straight from PFF.
The PFF grading system isolates the role of each run blocker on every running play. Blockers can earn positives for creating movement or winning their gap, while negative grades are assigned for poor blocks, with varying levels of downgrades within the system. There are many blocks that fall into the “expected” category and will receive a neutral grade, as both the run blocker and run defender end up in either a stalemate or a situation where the play calls for both players to achieve a similar result.
Most hated man in America.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:13 pm
Backside wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:12 pm

So you are not making the statement that he is bad at drafting Olineman, because it is not true. Thanks.
You dodged the entirety of the post there for a reason. You're saying being dead last in run blocking isn't bad?
Bro, you dodged the question first. It is incredibly obvious what you are trying to do right now, as you always are. And I won't take it any further. Make the definitive statement that can easily be proven incorrect. Or just keep trying to argue, but not actually saying anything. You won't get anything more out of me going that route.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:19 pm @13F11B Straight from PFF.
The PFF grading system isolates the role of each run blocker on every running play. Blockers can earn positives for creating movement or winning their gap, while negative grades are assigned for poor blocks, with varying levels of downgrades within the system. There are many blocks that fall into the “expected” category and will receive a neutral grade, as both the run blocker and run defender end up in either a stalemate or a situation where the play calls for both players to achieve a similar result.
Cool. I wonder how they know what the correct gap was.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If it's a gimmick to stroke his genius I'm here for it. He has hit multiple home runs drafting with this strategy. I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt on Mauch at this point and expect (hope) he improves some next year.

I wouldn't mind a day 2 pick on a true guard though. But, I won't hold my breath.
Snake

Post by Snake »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 pm How has the LG graded out whether it be Stinnie or Feiler?
How has Hainsey graded out?
Stinnie, 55.6 overall. He's consistently been the same below average player for 4 straight seasons.
Hainsey, 52 overall. better in pass pro than run blocking. Close to league worst in run blocking.

which, by the way, the team directs the vast majority of their rushing plays directly behind Hainsey.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Snake wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:19 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 pm How has the LG graded out whether it be Stinnie or Feiler?
How has Hainsey graded out?
Stinnie, 55.6 overall. He's consistently been the same below average player for 4 straight seasons.
Hainsey, 52 overall. better in pass pro than run blocking. Close to league worst in run blocking.

which, by the way, the team directs the vast majority of their rushing plays directly behind Hainsey.
Looks like trying to improve the IOL is a great need for the Bucs. Whether it be FA or the draft.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz ain't wrong. Licht has habitually drafted tackles and put them inside, thinking he's cracked the DaVinci code of offensive line play. And throughout his tenure, we consistently suck at running on the inside if Ali Marpet isn't directly involved.

If Licht exclusively drafted big wide receivers and put them at tight end instead of drafting guys who ya know, actually played the position, who among us would be surprised if they got consistently bodied by defensive ends in the blocking game? This is a similar move, with similar results.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm Bootz ain't wrong. Licht has habitually drafted tackles and put them inside, thinking he's cracked the DaVinci code of offensive line play. And throughout his tenure, we consistently suck at running on the inside if Ali Marpet isn't directly involved.

If Licht exclusively drafted big wide receivers and put them at tight end instead of drafting guys who ya know, actually played the position, who among us would be surprised if they got consistently bodied by defensive ends in the blocking game? This is a similar move, with similar results.
Kinda the definition of insanity. Worked with Marpet. Didn't work that well with Cappa. He got a little better but he's been pretty bad in Cincinnati and will probably be released. Didn't work with Goedeke or Mauch much. Not even really working well with Hainsey, who went to Notre Dame but he's another tackle turned IOL.

My thing is I don't get the need to try. It's not as if there haven't been quality IOL to come out recently.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hainsey ending up at center is just fucking weird. I gotta be honest.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Wasn't plan A. Or B. More like a quick fix that holds with enough duct tape.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:09 pm Wasn't plan A. Or B. More like a quick fix that holds with enough duct tape.
Someone forgot duct tape only holds up so long in the elements
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:09 pm Wasn't plan A. Or B. More like a quick fix that holds with enough duct tape.
If we're being honest it's more so scotch tape.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

While all true you can't fix everything at once and the race comes. Gotta ride.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:00 pm While all true you can't fix everything at once and the race comes. Gotta ride.
But you gotta fix some of the things and improve the team every year. Wirfs, Godwin and Winfield seem to be the only player over the last 5 drafts that are playing to a high standard. Vea seems to have been physically worn down this season. The Bucs do have a few good players, but as a team they are 8-8 in the weakest division in the NFL.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:15 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:00 pm While all true you can't fix everything at once and the race comes. Gotta ride.
But you gotta fix some of the things and improve the team every year.
We're scoring more points, allowing fewer points, and winning more games than last year. And we have only begun to find ourselves.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

After watching him against Philly, I gotta say, this guy is a mauler. His run blocking is well above average. It's his pass blocking that needs work. I'm sure he can work on that.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

After watching him against Philly, I gotta say, this guy is a mauler. His run blocking is well above average. It's his pass blocking that needs work. I'm sure he can work on that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Licht's small school guys have typically grown immensely in year 2.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I hope so. He did not have a good year.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:15 pm
But you gotta fix some of the things and improve the team every year. Wirfs, Godwin and Winfield seem to be the only player over the last 5 drafts that are playing to a high standard. Vea seems to have been physically worn down this season. The Bucs do have a few good players, but as a team they are 8-8 in the weakest division in the NFL.
I’ll have two of whatever this guy had.

Diaby would’ve led all rookies in sacks if Bowles weren’t so stubborn. Kancey is a bona fide stud. Rachaad White balled the fuck out this year. Camarda kicks the skin off the ball 16/17 games.

There’s more, but I’m tired and I think the point is made.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Fuck rookies!
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm Bootz ain't wrong. Licht has habitually drafted tackles and put them inside, thinking he's cracked the DaVinci code of offensive line play. And throughout his tenure, we consistently suck at running on the inside if Ali Marpet isn't directly involved.

Ah crap, I've been over here looking at Washington OT Fautanu and wondering if he could play inside.

On a related note, does anyone know anything about Jensen? He didn't retire and at the time he did talk about extending his career? Anyone want to give odds on him coming back, playing here and being close to what he was? He's still under contract. IIRC we have an out on his contract this year but I've never claimed to fully understand contract structuring.

Otherwise, I view OG and C to be the biggest needs on the team. It's why we can't run and with a shorter QB, inside pressure is hell.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Licht had decided in the past that OTs with OG measurables would be plug and play at guard by the end of the season. The problem is not all OTs are gifted or smart enough to do that. See Goedeke. He tried it again with Mauch. Not only moved from T to G but L to R. Jesus! And here we are. We have a college T at C for two years who sucks and a RG who sucks. So no. No more experiments. Also small school Ts need to bulk up over big name programs. If he does it 3 drafts in a row, I may break something electronic (phone/tv/tablet)