Welcome Yaya Diaby

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Welcome Yaya Diaby

Post by MJW »

Been kinda thinking he was drafted to spell/replace Shaq. Looking at his physique I wonder if they're going to slot him in as the new Gholston.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:51 pm Been kinda thinking he was drafted to spell/replace Shaq. Looking at his physique I wonder if they're going to slot him in as the new Gholston.
He’s a big edge, but I definitely think he’s here to play as one. Using Diaby as a lunch pail lineman would be going against what makes him an interesting prospect. The hope is he can be more JPP than Gholston.

Bowles seems to like bigger edges so think he’s definitely here to play that role.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am
MJW wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:51 pm Been kinda thinking he was drafted to spell/replace Shaq. Looking at his physique I wonder if they're going to slot him in as the new Gholston.
He’s a big edge, but I definitely think he’s here to play as one. Using Diaby as a lunch pail lineman would be going against what makes him an interesting prospect. The hope is he can be more JPP than Gholston.

Bowles seems to like bigger edges so think he’s definitely here to play that role.
He does seem like a JPP type at first glance of the tape.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This is a fantastic injection of front 7 talent. We have great DBs to press and buy time. This is a nice recipe for Bowles and co.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:44 am
real bucs fan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:28 am

I was thinking JTS was the JPP. I just have no idea who the Gholston is, or if there'll be one.

One of the things that makes Bowles a great DC is how he doesn't seem married to one vision for his personnel. If you'd told me we'd be using our first round pick on a 6'1 280 interior rusher, I'd have been shocked because he's never really employed a guy like that before.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hall.

You're right on that. He doesn't ask people to do things they can't or fit into something they aren't, he finds what you do best and how to get you to do that in different combinations with other players doubt their best. I fully expect him to use Kancey to destroy Ed Ingram week 1 because it's such a good play.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:56 pm Hall.

You're right on that. He doesn't ask people to do things they can't or fit into something they aren't, he finds what you do best and how to get you to do that in different combinations with other players doubt their best. I fully expect him to use Kancey to destroy Ed Ingram week 1 because it's such a good play.
I was thinking Hall was drafted to grow into the Suh role. He's got the frame. But honestly, yeah, it's probably not as simple as "finding the next 3 Tech to replace Sapp" or "finding the next speedy weakside backer to replace Brooks."
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

It's not. The comparisons are there, but we aren't running a Tampa 2, this is Dungy, Kiffin, or Lovie. We have players that look like players but they will be used in their ways by this coach. If anything, if it works out, you could use them as kind of "what ifs".
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I have no clue how to really judge DE talent outside of those early first round picks.

I feel like every year I hear about a handful of guys with the “physical traits” but who dropped to the 3rd/4th round. Do these guys ever actually pan out? If they have the physical traits, why did they drop so far? And can that Why be coached out of them?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:41 pm I have no clue how to really judge DE talent outside of those early first round picks.

I feel like every year I hear about a handful of guys with the “physical traits” but who dropped to the 3rd/4th round. Do these guys ever actually pan out? If they have the physical traits, why did they drop so far? And can that Why be coached out of them?
8/25 of these guys were 3rd/4th rounders, 2 2nd rounders, 2 undrafted, and every else was a 1st rounder.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022 ... r-rankings

So based off this very limited sample it appears that the best odds of hitting on a DE are 1st, 3rd/4th, 2nd/undrafted in that order
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:48 pm
_MB_ wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:44 am
I was thinking JTS was the JPP. I just have no idea who the Gholston is, or if there'll be one.

One of the things that makes Bowles a great DC is how he doesn't seem married to one vision for his personnel. If you'd told me we'd be using our first round pick on a 6'1 280 interior rusher, I'd have been shocked because he's never really employed a guy like that before.
Think Gaines was brought in to be that guy, plus not sure we won’t see Gholston back either. Also, always liked what I saw from Patty McIrish I mean Patrick O’Connor.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:41 pm I have no clue how to really judge DE talent outside of those early first round picks.

Usually the complete combo is only found in those early first round picks, but generally you’re looking for a combo of length, strength, burst, bend, technique/coachability, and compete/toughness. Both the edges we drafted seem to have alot of these qualities, hopefully we hit on one of them.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:09 pm

Usually the complete combo is only found in those early first round picks, but generally you’re looking for a combo of length, strength, burst, bend, technique/coachability, and compete/toughness. Both the edges we drafted seem to have alot of these qualities, hopefully we hit on one of them.
Yeah, I like that they're both dogs. You watch either of them play, they play fast, physical football. Guys like that may or may not ever be stars, but if deployed correctly they can give you quality snaps when called upon and do work on special teams.
Let's roll another joint
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

You're correct they rarely work out when you factor in how many of these athletic edges are drafted each year. If a pass rusher isn't a good pass rusher in college odds are no matter how much they're coached in the NFL, they won't be a good pass rusher in the NFL.

It's like picking a WR from college who can't route routes, has no game awareness but tests fast. Some can learn but a lot don't.

That is the story for Diaby right now. Has the athletic traits but zero pass rush moves. He tries to bull rush every play. That is why he was a third rounder (concesus 4th) and not a first rounder.

Every time coaches see a super athletic raw pass rusher now they think they can coach them up to be the next Danielle Hunter. A guy who sucked in college and was so much better in the NFL. But that is the exception to the rule.

I'm not hating on the pick at all. But I've seen a lot of high expectations on Diaby. He's a project. Bucs didn't really have that type of edge on the roster. Big, strong and crazy fast. That's worth a shot at that point.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Barnzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:33 am Every time coaches see a super athletic raw pass rusher now they think they can coach them up to be the next Danielle Hunter. A guy who sucked in college and was so much better in the NFL. But that is the exception to the rule.

I'm not hating on the pick at all. But I've seen a lot of high expectations on Diaby. He's a project. Bucs didn't really have that type of edge on the roster. Big, strong and crazy fast. That's worth a shot at that point.
I am with you on this. If a dude played at a lower tier college with lower tier coaching perhaps they can be coached up. If a dude played at a top 5 college with top 5 coaching I tend to think what you see is what you get.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He lined up down and inside quite a bit.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We needed Yasir too.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:32 am He lined up down and inside quite a bit.
Sounds like another logan hall?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What other teams were looking at Logan Hall? I remember thinking he didnt seem to excited about us picking him - but maybe I got it wrong.

Maybe it will click for him that he has a paying job now.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Why I don't know, but we don't build our roster like most teams. They do a big pick and they have to wait for their other big pick to fizzle out.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hall was always a developmental pick. While he had great size for a 21 year old, it was still not NFL ready. The goal was always to get him to a good, strong 300lbs, which seems to be coming to be as Kacy said he was at 296 the other day. In addition to his body he needed to develop more consistent technique. Not the sexy home run everyone demands from their "first" rounder, but he seems to be coming along just fine. I'm not expecting to really grade this project pick until year 3... you know...like a reasonable person. He is going to get plenty of chances this upcoming season though so we'll get a nice front-row seat to how it's progressing.

According to ESPN's Todd McShay, the following teams were rumored to be targeting Logan Hall during the 2022 NFL Draft:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cincinnati Bengals
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Eagles
Detroit Lions
Minnesota Vikings
Tennessee Titans
New York Jets
New York Giants
Houston Texans
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Imagine taking a "developmental" 3-4 DE pick with the 33rd pick in the draft. That along with the idea that 2021's 2nd round pick, Trask, was also a developmental pick is next level incompetence.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:26 pm Imagine taking a "developmental" 3-4 DE pick with the 33rd pick in the draft. That along with the idea that 2021's 2nd round pick, Trask, was also a developmental pick is next level incompetence.
Aren’t they all developmental? God I’d love to see some of you message board gurus run drafts. Show off your next level incompetence for us.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:26 pm Imagine taking a "developmental" 3-4 DE pick with the 33rd pick in the draft. That along with the idea that 2021's 2nd round pick, Trask, was also a developmental pick is next level incompetence.
According to Doctor the last couple weeks, JTS/Hall/Trask are all "developmental" players. Probably more I can't remember.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:37 pm
Aren’t they all developmental? God I’d love to see some of you message board gurus run drafts. Show off your next level incompetence for us.
Developmental - to me - can mean a few things. Guys who started their football careers late, guys who played at schools with questionable coaching, guys who changed positions, guys who left college really early, etc.

Logan Hall played four seasons at Houston, at Big 12 program, primarily under HC Dana Holgorsen. He put up 25 reps at the combine.

Pretending that he's the DL equivalent of Zyon McCollum is kinda nuts imo.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

In the context of the way NFL scouts, GMs, teams, organizations, analysts use the word absolutely not.

Developmental has always been attributed to draft prospects who aren't ready to contribute any time soon. In college they call it "red shirting". In the pros, it's the Kyle Trask timeline. Usually Developmental players don't play much, if at all because they are DEVELOPING. I mean imagine saying Joe Burrow or Tristian Wirfs were "Developmental" players coming into this league.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:44 pm

Developmental - to me - can mean a few things. Guys who started their football careers late, guys who played at schools with questionable coaching, guys who changed positions, guys who left college really early, etc.

Logan Hall played four seasons at Houston, at Big 12 program, primarily under HC Dana Holgorsen. He put up 25 reps at the combine.

And to piggyback off of this, look at where Zyon & Hall were selected. Zyon was a 5th round pick. That's absolutely where you take a guy who needs a lot more seasoning. You don't take a "developmental" player with the 33rd pick in the draft. That guy more often than not is contributing from day 1.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:47 pm
Snake wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:44 pm

And to piggyback off of this, look at where Zyon & Hall were selected. Zyon was a 5th round pick. That's absolutely where you take a guy who needs a lot more seasoning. You don't take a "developmental" player with the 33rd pick in the draft. That guy more often than not is contributing from day 1.
This right here. Your first and second round picks should be day one starters, or at least capable of being day one starters. You don't take projects with high picks. If you play your cards right, your third rounder should be as well.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Day one starters? LMAO
This Madden/Instagram generation is too much.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:17 pm Day one starters? LMAO
You're the guy talking about Hayes (a 5th round rookie) playing tons of snaps at NB right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:47 pm

This right here. Your first and second round picks should be day one starters, or at least capable of being day one starters. You don't take projects with high picks. If you play your cards right, your third rounder should be as well.
Obviously it depends who you take. You can take guys because you need to fill the spot and they need to play right away or you can take guys with measurables and intangibles you like you sit behind Tom Brady or Vea/Gholston/Hicks. I'm not going to defend those picks, but I can see what they're trying to do. The surplus value of hitting on Trask would be enormous. Having Hall with a year under his belt where now he can step into a more prominent role is advantageous because we had no money to sign replacements.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yaya going to wear 0 Sweet
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:36 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:17 pm Day one starters? LMAO
You're the guy talking about Hayes (a 5th round rookie) playing tons of snaps at NB right?
I was talking about what the rotation plan may be for our 3rd and 4th string DBs but sure, go off king.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Yaya has 5 sacks in the last 6 games. He is also a half sack away from the rookie lead. Way to go Yaya. An upgrade from JTS

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/rookie ... e-nfl-2023