Top Ten Bucs Of All Time?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Top Ten Bucs Of All Time?

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:41 pm
MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 pm

LOL, those are good ones.

The most prolific receiver through our first 25 years of existence was Mark Carrier, aka, "I thought he was a safety with the Bears?" Mark Carrier.

Wait Mark Carrier from Nichols St, no way he could move up into the Supreme talent of the NFL.

I think Kevin House was slightly better - the guy from Southern Illinois.
House was probably better, but I'm pretty sure Carrier held all the records until maybe Keyshawn?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:45 pm

Wait Mark Carrier from Nichols St, no way he could move up into the Supreme talent of the NFL.

House was probably better, but I'm pretty sure Carrier held all the records until maybe Keyshawn?
ME is the only one who has passed them.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Godwin should do it this year.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It was players like them that convinced me I should never accept that smaller colleges couldnt produce good talent. They did their stuff in 6 years.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

1. Derrick Brooks. One of the best off-ball backers to ever do it, the soul of our first Superbowl win, and the definition of what it means to be a Buc imo.
2. Lee Roy Selmon. A beast in his day and the first Buc in the Hall, sad that most outside this fan base don't even know who he is.
3. Mike Evans. Best offensive weapon in team history, owns every franchise receiving record by a country mile, and a good dude.
4. Tom Brady. The GOAT, three straight playoffs, a Lombardi, second most career passing TDs in team history, third in QB wins, and the best QB win percentage, a hell of a job for only being here 3 years.
5. Warren Sapp. An abrasive man but certainly full of personality, earned his gold jacket and then some, was for a time the standard against which interior passrushers were measuring until Aaron Donald came into the scene.
6. Lavonte David. Right up there with Brooks as far as professionalism and how you want an off-ball backer to play the game. Smart, fast, good teammate, labored in obscurity but finally got his ring, may not make it to Canton but I hope he retires a Buc.
7. Ronde Barber. An ironman who rewrote the book on the nickel position, proof positive that a big heart and brain are more important than a big body and measurables.
8. John Lynch. The last of a dying breed of enforcers at safety, he was fun to watch and another key cog in our Superbowl, among many here. Also in Canton.
9. Mike Alstott. All-time rushing TD leader on the team and second in total offensive TDs behind Evans, one of the most powerful runners I've ever seen. A joy to watch.
10. Gerald McCoy. Deal with it.

That seems about right.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:56 am 1. Derrick Brooks. One of the best off-ball backers to ever do it, the soul of our first Superbowl win, and the definition of what it means to be a Buc imo.
2. Lee Roy Selmon. A beast in his day and the first Buc in the Hall, sad that most outside this fan base don't even know who he is.
3. Mike Evans. Best offensive weapon in team history, owns every franchise receiving record by a country mile, and a good dude.
4. Tom Brady. The GOAT, three straight playoffs, a Lombardi, second most career passing TDs in team history, third in QB wins, and the best QB win percentage, a hell of a job for only being here 3 years.
5. Warren Sapp. An abrasive man but certainly full of personality, earned his gold jacket and then some, was for a time the standard against which interior passrushers were measuring until Aaron Donald came into the scene.
6. Lavonte David. Right up there with Brooks as far as professionalism and how you want an off-ball backer to play the game. Smart, fast, good teammate, labored in obscurity but finally got his ring, may not make it to Canton but I hope he retires a Buc.
7. Ronde Barber. An ironman who rewrote the book on the nickel position, proof positive that a big heart and brain are more important than a big body and measurables.
8. John Lynch. The last of a dying breed of enforcers at safety, he was fun to watch and another key cog in our Superbowl, among many here. Also in Canton.
9. Mike Alstott. All-time rushing TD leader on the team and second in total offensive TDs behind Evans, one of the most powerful runners I've ever seen. A joy to watch.

That seems about right.
Another good list by Cheb.

@MJW makes a good point, too. There weren't a lot of Bucs worthy of Top Ten mention before 1995 during the black hole years after Lee Roy Selmon retired (end of the '84 season) to when Brooks was drafted (1995). In fact, only 2 players drafted by the Bucs during 1985-1994 are on any of these lists. Paul Gruber (1988) and John Lynch (1994). Doug Williams was before (1978) and the rest, not counting Lynch, were all after 1994.
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 pm

LOL, those are good ones.

The most prolific receiver through our first 25 years of existence was Mark Carrier, aka, "I thought he was a safety with the Bears?" Mark Carrier.

I remember them both....

Yeah, I'm old
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:12 am
Cheb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:56 am 1. Derrick Brooks. One of the best off-ball backers to ever do it, the soul of our first Superbowl win, and the definition of what it means to be a Buc imo.

That seems about right.

@MJW makes a good point, too. There weren't a lot of Bucs worthy of Top Ten mention before 1995 during the black hole years after Lee Roy Selmon retired (end of the '84 season) to when Brooks was drafted (1995). In fact, only 2 players drafted by the Bucs during 1985-1994 are on any of these lists. Paul Gruber (1988) and John Lynch (1994). Doug Williams was before (1978) and the rest, not counting Lynch, were all after 1994.

Lee Roy didnt get the Bucs in the playoffs all by himself.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm

What did you tell me earlier today? Oh yeah... re-read.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:21 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm

What did you tell me earlier today? Oh yeah... re-read.
Wrong.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

That seems about right.

I slipped Wilder in there. A good player in a bad era.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

That seems about right.

I slipped Wilder in there. A good player in a bad era. But I'm only a casual fan, just a guess from me, I wasn't a Bucs fan at the time he played.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Xandtar wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 pm

I think he belongs in there as well, but he was drafted in 1981 which was before Selmon retired, so I didn't list him.
Don't tread on me
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Buc2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:46 am
Xandtar wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:09 pm

I think he belongs in there as well, but he was drafted in 1981 which was before Selmon retired, so I didn't list him.
I thought he was a little later than that, okay.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Surprised no one has snuck Simeon Rice, Hardy Nickerson, or Warwick Dunn on the list. If coaches are part of the equation Dungy, Monte, Gruden, and Arians should be considered.
Last edited by Redrum on Sat May 06, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Redrum wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 am Hardy Dickerson, or Warwick Dunn
Mark Allstate too
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

All the other teams have to do a top 100, our minds can't get past top ten.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Until recently we had the honor of being the losingist franchise in all sports.
Hard to have a top 100 when you have a title like that.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Obsolete wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:49 pm Until recently we had the honor of being the losingist franchise in all sports.
The Bucs made more of the highlight films than any other team, albeit as the team being victimized in those highlights.
MJW

Post by MJW »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:25 pm
Obsolete wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:49 pm Until recently we had the honor of being the losingist franchise in all sports.
The Bucs made more of the highlight films than any other team, albeit as the team being victimized in those highlights.
Yeah, you watch Barry Sanders or Walter Payton highlight reels, it looks like they only play us.
Let's roll another joint
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

MJW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:12 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:25 pm
Yeah, you watch Barry Sanders or Walter Payton highlight reels, it looks like they only play us.
The early Bucs were also the team that was shown the most on the NFL Bloopers films.
MJW

Post by MJW »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:40 pm
MJW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:12 pm

The early Bucs were also the team that was shown the most on the NFL Bloopers films.
I love that one clip of the kid in the creamsickle giving the thumb up, and then very slowly turning the thumb down. It's the most IABL moment ever.
Let's roll another joint
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Obsolete wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:42 pm
Redrum wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 am Hardy Dickerson, or Warwick Dunn
Mark Allstate too
Nobody can touch Rhonde though