The inevitable Devin White holdout?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

The inevitable Devin White holdout?

Post by Snake »

Snake

Re: The inevitable Devin White holdout?

Post by Snake »

If you get can a 2nd, you take it and run.

I don’t see a team offering that.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

We're gonna suck this season. We can suck and save the $11M with him holding out! I have no interest in resigning him for the money he wants. Thanks, but no thanks!
Kona

Post by Kona »

The fact he wasn’t traded during the draft has me thinking teams don’t value him that high.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kona wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:17 pm The fact he wasn’t traded during the draft has me thinking teams don’t value him that high.
They’d rather abuse him than be abused with him, I suppose.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Some of y'all gonna be big mad when they finally agree on an extension.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:25 pm Some of y'all gonna be big mad when they finally agree on an extension.
Imagine being upset about your team making a bad decision that hinders their ability to be successful. Ignoramuses!
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You thought drafting him was a bad decision, yet it was a vital part of bringing a second Lombardi to Tampa.
Yeah, I'm going to trust the FO with 9 combined rings over you, sorry.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:30 pm You thought drafting him was a bad decision, yet it was a vital part of bringing a second Lombardi to Tampa.
So you’ll be jumping for joy if they trade/let him walk?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:30 pm You thought drafting him was a bad decision, yet it was a vital part of bringing a second Lombardi to Tampa.
How many rings were involved in not even calling us to try to trade for him? Hundreds?
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm
So you’ll be jumping for joy if they trade/let him walk?
Apparently, by virtue of having a combined 9 rings at OBP, it's unreasonable to criticize them. Leftwich? Great hire. 9 combined rings. Jaelen Darden? Brilliant draft pick. 9 combined rings. Hell, we might as well be retroactive. Anthony Collins, Michael Johnson, Evan Dietrich-Smith? 9 combined rings says that was an awesome free agent haul.

The "appeal to authority" fallacy is one of my favorites because it's incredibly easy to mock.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

How many combined rings does the Patriots front office have? Belichick, Bill O' Brien, Joe Judge, Jerod Mayo? Hell, I think Belichick's 2 kids have about 10 rings combined. That number is probably in the 30s!

This of course means that a stupid fan criticizing N'Keal Harry or Sony Michel should check themselves.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Also, he can't hold out. If he sits out the season then he doesn't get credit for the year and he'll still owe the bucs a 5th year. It's not like the Franchise Tag.

Hence why this is all sound and fury signifying nothing. He either plays out the final year, signs an extension, or retires. That's it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

To be clear, you aren't stupid for criticizing.
Your recent criticisms have just been stupid.

There's a difference.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:17 pm The fact he wasn’t traded during the draft has me thinking teams don’t value him that high.
Or it means the Bucs value him and don't want to lose him but also don't want to pay what he wants.
Most hated man in America.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:27 pm To be clear, you aren't stupid for criticizing.

There's a difference.
What criticisms are you referring to? Because if you're suggesting he doesn't struggle to read gaps, he doesn't get washed out way too often, he isn't a liability in coverage, and he doesn't take plays off, you're talking about criticisms that have come from a lot of other people too.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:20 pm Also, he can't hold out. If he sits out the season then he doesn't get credit for the year and he'll still owe the bucs a 5th year. It's not like the Franchise Tag.

Hence why this is all sound and fury signifying nothing. He either plays out the final year, signs an extension, or retires. That's it.
DW45 and his agent are aware of his deficiencies. They know his value around the league has gone down every year since the Super Bowl and will probably do the same this season. Because his deficiencies are really glaring and he’s not getting better in coverage.

Gotta secure the bag now before he’s offered $7 million next year by Houston.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:20 pm Also, he can't hold out. If he sits out the season then he doesn't get credit for the year and he'll still owe the bucs a 5th year. It's not like the Franchise Tag.

Sitting out with $11M on the line seems so very dumb. And quite unlikely.

They called his bluff. Devin will blink first. The Bucs hold all the cards.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm

Bowles is doing a great job with the ol' bargaining position by constantly talking about White like he's Ray Lewis crossed with Lawrence Taylor. Think that stuff isn't going to come up at the negotiating table?
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:40 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm

Bowles is doing a great job with the ol' bargaining position by constantly talking about White like he's Ray Lewis crossed with Lawrence Taylor. Think that stuff isn't going to come up at the negotiating table?
I mean, no. I don’t think so. If it did they’d have already extended him and he wouldn’t be whining on Twitter.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:50 pm
MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:40 pm

I mean, no. I don’t think so. If it did they’d have already extended him and he wouldn’t be whining on Twitter.
Yea....Because NFL FOs ALWAYS extend only players who deserve to be extended....
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:21 pm

Yea....Because NFL FOs ALWAYS extend only players who deserve to be extended....
Deserve has nothing to do with it.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

He doesn't deserve to be extended and furthermore no teams called about him except for some that were offering a conditional late day 3 pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:33 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:27 pm To be clear, you aren't stupid for criticizing.

There's a difference.
What criticisms are you referring to? Because if you're suggesting he doesn't struggle to read gaps, he doesn't get washed out way too often, he isn't a liability in coverage, and he doesn't take plays off, you're talking about criticisms that have come from a lot of other people too.
All of those are fine. In fact, to varying degrees, I agree with a lot of them. It's why I'm all for JL squeezing him on his 5th year and even Franchise Tagging him afterwards. OBP holds all the cards right now.

The stupid ones are "he didn't get traded = no one wants him = he sucks = he has no market value and he knows it". Half of the "criticisms" on the board as of late have had nothing to do with gameplay and have just been leaps and inferences. "Trask didn't beat out Gabbert = Trask sucks" or "Pete never promoted Canales = he sucks" or "We took our time with in the OC search = no one wants to work here", etc.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Al Bundy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:43 pm

He doesn't deserve to be extended and furthermore no teams called about him except for some that were offering a conditional late day 3 pick.
Link?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 pm
MJW wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:33 pm

All of those are fine. In fact, to varying degrees, I agree with a lot of them. It's why I'm all for JL squeezing him on his 5th year and even Franchise Tagging him afterwards. OBP holds all the cards right now.

The stupid ones are "he didn't get traded = no one wants him = he sucks = he has no market value and he knows it". Half of the "criticisms" on the board as of late have had nothing to do with gameplay and have just been leaps and inferences. "Trask didn't beat out Gabbert = Trask sucks" or "Pete never promoted Canales = he sucks" or "We took our time with in the OC search = no one wants to work here", etc.
The $11 mil he's making this year is overpaying him. That's the part you're not getting. He's not a good football player. He's sometimes an exciting player. But over the timeline of a game, much less a season, he takes more off the table than he puts on.

We probably could have squeezed some value out of the situation all the same. Failing to do so is just that - failure. There were better uses for that $11 mil, not to mention what we could have gotten in exchange from an arrogant defensive coach. Now the idea we're going to reward him for a season where he was a glaring liability, because of 2 or 3 highlights 3 years ago? Incompetent.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It's the stick ponies fault.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yeah, you've had it out for White since he was drafted breaking your precious "you don't take ___ positon that high" rules.

This is just something we're not going to agree on.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:30 pm
Or it means the Bucs value him and don't want to lose him but also don't want to pay what he wants.
I predict a compromise. Devin signs for less than his demands and more than what the Bucs want to pay him. Something like happened with Lamar Jackson.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 am

I predict a compromise. Devin signs for less than his demands and more than what the Bucs want to pay him. Something like happened with Lamar Jackson.
I hope not. Bowles makes him somewhat valuable with his scheme. If Bowles isn't here for the long term (likely), I don't like Devin's chances to live up to a top 10 LB contract if he's asked to do standard LB things.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 am

*with every player to sign a contract
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Trade him. Literally any average linebacker would be better than him.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Frankly, I don't like this from White. He's stated that he wants to be the top paid linebacker in the league, which would be north of $20 million a year, which he hasn't earned. And if he doesn't get that money, he wants to be traded someplace else.

That's me-first behavior, top to bottom, and more than a little unreasonable. If Devin wants to hold out indefinitely because he thinks his $11 million this season ain't enough, that's fine. Let him.

As far as trades, if I were the Bucs brass I would answer the phone if a team called asking about Devin but I wouldn't make calls myself. It's well known he wants out, let the buyers come to me.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I prefer my ILBs to be sure tacklers, reliable on fundamentals and inexpensive, even if there are no splash plays to be had. White is too damn inconsistent and all he has going for him is hype around the league because of where he was drafted and the splash plays he sometimes makes. We are not going to win a Superbowl anytime soon, not with the QBs we have. I would be more excited for this season if Devin White sat out and I get to watch some of our rookie ILBs get his snaps, go through the growing pains right away.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:43 pm Frankly, I don't like this from White. He's stated that he wants to be the top paid linebacker in the league, which would be north of $20 million a year, which he hasn't earned. And if he doesn't get that money, he wants to be traded someplace else.

That's me-first behavior, top to bottom, and more than a little unreasonable. If Devin wants to hold out indefinitely because he thinks his $11 million this season ain't enough, that's fine. Let him.

As far as trades, if I were the Bucs brass I would answer the phone if a team called asking about Devin but I wouldn't make calls myself. It's well known he wants out, let the buyers come to me.
Don't kid yourself, Cheb. This is a me-first league and you know it. Players better be me-first because the organization damn sure isn't gonna look out for them.

I'll never fault a player for wanting to get as much as they can while they can. Bowles' comments about his value sends a different message also. Gives White ammo at the negotiating table.