Ryan Jensen: Retired

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Ryan Jensen: Done??

Post by kaimaru »

Oh, it is certainly. This place is hot take city. Myself included from time to time. I mean it might have saved last year if we had
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Nobody wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:33 pm
kaimaru wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:40 pm

Coming off the Super Bowl with Jensen secured as the starter, I think this board would have had a meltdown like Trask if we did that. "We need someone to help us win now!"
If we drafted an enormously high ceiling iOL that would have (a) been better than Cappa (minimum) immediately, (b) while we had scant depth at iOL, (c) and while we were in a situation where both Cappa and Jensen were FAs in the coming year?

I mean, forget the Marpet Surprise, at the time it was by far the most sensible move that we could have possibly made. There isn’t even a 1b ceiling/floor/value move in the stellar neighborhood. So if you’re saying this board would have blown up…well, I’ll take your word for it. But that is an indictment of the board rather than that prospective move.
If we had moved up and drafted Creed, and Jensen had not been injured, Creed would have spent a lot of time sitting on the bench.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Nobody wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:35 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:14 am

We were all set to take him until the Chiefs did.
14 points of draft capital to have moved up 2 spots in front of the Chiefs who were 100 % going to draft Humphrey there, no questions asked.

14 points.

Trade GB our late 5th (the all-important KJ Britt!) for their 7th or something.
Exactly.

Then we would have had an elite center to help the next guy taking snaps after Brady goes out.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:08 pm

If we drafted an enormously high ceiling iOL that would have (a) been better than Cappa (minimum) immediately, (b) while we had scant depth at iOL, (c) and while we were in a situation where both Cappa and Jensen were FAs in the coming year?

I mean, forget the Marpet Surprise, at the time it was by far the most sensible move that we could have possibly made. There isn’t even a 1b ceiling/floor/value move in the stellar neighborhood. So if you’re saying this board would have blown up…well, I’ll take your word for it. But that is an indictment of the board rather than that prospective move.
If we had moved up and drafted Creed, and Jensen had not been injured, Creed would have spent a lot of time sitting on the bench.
If we move up for Creed, Jensen probably doesn't stay. Even if he did, it's not such a bad thing. Center is a very cerebral position and behind able to learn behind a vet like Jensen on a team with the GOAT is not a bad way to develop a guy. I don't believe in drafting a guy because you really need to plug him in that year. I am firmly in the camp of taking a guy with the idea of him being here 10 years.....or 3 years in the case of an RB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean if we're going to start venting about draft trades we didn't do I'm still salty about Calvin Johnson.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:16 am I mean if we're going to start venting about draft trades we didn't do I'm still salty about Calvin Johnson.
I knew we wouldn't get Megatron. I was hoping for Joe Thomas, I never expected the Browns to make the smart pick
Snake

Post by Snake »

Terry Tate wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:45 am
Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:16 am I mean if we're going to start venting about draft trades we didn't do I'm still salty about Calvin Johnson.
I knew we wouldn't get Megatron. I was hoping for Joe Thomas, I never expected the Browns to make the smart pick
Damn coin flip…
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I would venture to say he would have been slid over to guard and done much better than who we did have there last year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:37 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:18 pm We should've traded up a couple spots for Vilma. Or stayed put and taken Steven Jackson.
Or traded up for Tommie Harris, the platonic ideal of the Tampa Two three tech.

Or just taken DJ Williams. People forget how talented he was. He was so good that the feeling was he could have played in the NFL out of high school.

Now I'm getting irritated about a 20 year old draft.
Cadillac over Aaron Rodgers.

Or the Gaines Adams landmine in a draft littered with HOFers.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

But we NEEDED a DE to replace Rice
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Selmon Rules wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:52 pm
I would venture to say he would have been slid over to guard and done much better than who we did have there last year.
Yep. You don't trade up for a guy in the 2nd round and bench him for 2 years.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:32 pm But we NEEDED a DE to replace Rice
Need = gay
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Licht during in game interview tonight said that yes, indeed, Jensen is done; he’ll be out in IR.
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

acmillis wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:49 pm Licht during in game interview tonight said that yes, indeed, Jensen is done; he’ll be out in IR.
That sucks.
Max

Post by Max »

acmillis wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:49 pm Licht during in game interview tonight said that yes, indeed, Jensen is done; he’ll be out in IR.
Put on IR now or put on IR after roster cut down?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I understand the rationale, but him avoiding surgery and playing in the playoffs against the Cowboys has proven to be a complete disaster.
Snake

Post by Snake »

real bucs fan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:55 pm I understand the rationale, but him avoiding surgery and playing in the playoffs against the Cowboys has proven to be a complete disaster.
No kidding. Players pushing off surgery almost always seems like a mistake.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

@Max It seems they've already placed him on I.R.

MJW

Re: Ryan Jensen: Out for the season

Post by MJW »

Seems almost certain that's the end of his Bucs tenure, if not his career.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

FWIW, I know this is not how the dude would want it to end, but he went from a 6th Round pick from the 8th best football program in Colorado to about $60 Mil in career earnings, making him one of financially successful centers in NFL history. He also won a Ring and got to snap the ball to Tom Brady. It was a hell of a career if it's over.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:07 pm @Max It seems they've already placed him on I.R.

Did the league revert the 3 week IR thing that's been in place since covid?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:07 pm @Max It seems they've already placed him on I.R.

I believe there's still a 4 week I.R designation that can be used.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:32 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:31 pm

Ah, then they must not be using that. Sad. Not sure what happened but this is a sad end to his tenure here.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:34 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:32 pm

Ah, then they must not be using that. Sad. Not sure what happened but this is a sad end to his tenure here.
He's probably going to have the surgery he should have had last year. I don't think the Bucs ever truly expected him to play this year.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

MJW wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:15 pm FWIW, I know this is not how the dude would want it to end, but he went from a 6th Round pick from the 8th best football program in Colorado to about $60 Mil in career earnings, making him one of financially successful centers in NFL history. He also won a Ring and got to snap the ball to Tom Brady. It was a hell of a career if it's over.
Aside from being a higher pick, it sounds a lot like Ali Marpet too. If you're a lineman, it's never going to get better than blocking for and winning a ring with Tom Brady.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Joe Thomas is probably envious of Jensens career.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Obsolete wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:34 am Joe Thomas is probably envious of Jensens career.
Joe Thomas doesn't feel envy. He doesn't have to anymore.
Bootz

Re: Ryan Jensen: Retired

Post by Bootz »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Thanks for the ring big red. Wonder how his cap hit works out now.

Also, wouldn't mind going back to the FA well for our center again.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I think he made a wise decision here. Thanks for everything, Ryan.

Future OL coach? We have an opening and he knows our guys very well obviously.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:09 pm Wonder how his cap hit works out now.
Just like with Brady when he retired, all money owed comes due this coming season, so a $16.5M cap hit.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We had/have the option to push it back I think by making it a post june 1st. We ate it all last time. I don't know if we want to again this time.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:59 pm
Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:09 pm Wonder how his cap hit works out now.
Just like with Brady when he retired, all money owed comes due this coming season, so a $16.5M cap hit.
As far as I understand it, we have the option of either eating all his contract (16.5 million) this season, or if we designated him a post June-1 move we split that into $4.8 million this season and $11.8 million next season.

Given that we need to pay for some combination of Evans, LVD, AWJ, and most expensively Baker, I'd elect for option 2. But they don't pay me for my opinions.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If we can get Shaq and Gage off the books too that will be the end of contracts from that era. Good times, but good moving on.

I'm really excited for this upcoming group of guys. Land a guy like Zach Frazier in the draft as well. That's a hell of a roll with your most the OL on rookie deals. Money in your WRs/QB until that gets flipped around in 3 years when it's Trey Palmer and some rookies.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:21 pm
CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:59 pm

As far as I understand it, we have the option of either eating all his contract (16.5 million) this season, or if we designated him a post June-1 move we split that into $4.8 million this season and $11.8 million next season.

Given that we need to pay for some combination of Evans, LVD, AWJ, and most expensively Baker, I'd elect for option 2. But they don't pay me for my opinions.
Yeah, it's like every other player who got cut or traded. It's just a matter of how the team wants to take the hit.