The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
real bucs fan

The Church of Canales

Post by real bucs fan »

Think we’ve found a special one.

Sing his praises here.
Snake

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by Snake »

What is preseason?
Snake

Post by Snake »

But anyone is an improvement over FatWich. Glad that era is over.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Loving the new modern wrinkles. Boots, waggles, shifting the pocket, constant play action.

It’s refreshing.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:40 am What is preseason?

Video tape.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Just imagine Tom Brady in Canales offense
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'm sorry, did I miss something? Have we played games already and I just missed them? What are we singing the praises of exactly, preseason games against backups?
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:21 pm I'm sorry, did I miss something? Have we played games already and I just missed them? What are we singing the praises of exactly, preseason games against backups?
Regardless of who they’re playing you can appreciate play design. Structure. Sequencing. Using motion. The play action. And not just traditional play action. RPOs. Moving the QB around. TE sweep.

It’s going to give the defense a lot more to think about when they play us.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:19 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:21 pm I'm sorry, did I miss something? Have we played games already and I just missed them? What are we singing the praises of exactly, preseason games against backups?
Regardless of who they’re playing you can appreciate play design. Structure. Sequencing. Using motion. The play action. And not just traditional play action. RPOs. Moving the QB around. TE sweep.

It’s going to give the defense a lot more to think about when they play us.
What I can appreciate is results. Production. If it leads to winning football, then his praises will be sung. Until then, not a note will be sung.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

We’ll see how good the offense is on week 1 vs Vikings

Vikings defense is not that great.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

One thing I’ve notice about this offense, it runs more play action pass. Leftwich/Bowies rarely run that play last season
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

We just wanted to post something positive to induce you to come in and shit all over it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:24 pm
We just wanted to post something positive to induce you to come in and shit all over it.
I'd love some positive news. This isn't positive. It's not even factual. He hasn't coached a game at OC yet in an NFL regular season game.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Still no need to be an asshole about it. If folks want to be positive and find positive things to say, so what.
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:46 pm Loving the new modern wrinkles. Boots, waggles, shifting the pocket, constant play action.

It’s refreshing.

It's what you do when your QB is 5'4", your OL is suspect, and your backs are not the best in pass pro.

But to your point, Lefty would have tried to force everyone to run the Brady offense. At least we have a guy adapting to his players.
Pelagic_and_Pewter

Post by Pelagic_and_Pewter »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:46 pm Loving the new modern wrinkles. Boots, waggles, shifting the pocket, constant play action.

It’s refreshing.
Yeah, the amount of playaction this preseason was a nice breath of fresh air (though I wouldn't expect us to run it at the rate we did in preseason).

Different routes, better separation of depth with the levels in the passing game, etc.

Hoping this translates to the regular season.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:24 pm

I'd love some positive news. This isn't positive. It's not even factual. He hasn't coached a game at OC yet in an NFL regular season game.
And after the Vikings, you will update your spew to say he has not even coached two games. So it will go. For you, he is not Leftwich and that alone is enough to forever question him. We understand Bootz.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:55 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:58 pm

And after the Vikings, you will update your spew to say he has not even coached two games. So it will go. For you, he is not Leftwich and that alone is enough to forever question him. We understand Bootz.
Leftwich? The same guy I said should’ve never been hired in the 1st place?? That guy? Try to keep up and stop trying to make this personal with me. You’re so hell bent on creating a personal argument you’re making shit up.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:59 pm
13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:55 pm

Leftwich? The same guy I said should’ve never been hired in the 1st place?? That guy? Try to keep up and stop trying to make this personal with me. You’re so hell bent on creating a personal argument you’re making shit up.
um...

Bootz wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:50 am So we’ll be worse than we were with Leftwich.

Doesn’t bode well for Canales or the narrative that Lefty was the problem.
or
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:19 pm Fools gold. People are lying to themselves. That high is gone and I'll tell you why. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been such a campaign for Leftwich, our SB winning OC, to be fired. People also wouldn't be putting Bowles on the hot seat.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:50 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:59 pm

um...

Bootz wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:50 am So we’ll be worse than we were with Leftwich.

Doesn’t bode well for Canales or the narrative that Lefty was the problem.
or
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:19 pm Fools gold. People are lying to themselves. That high is gone and I'll tell you why. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been such a campaign for Leftwich, our SB winning OC, to be fired. People also wouldn't be putting Bowles on the hot seat.
You do realize that's not voicing support for Leftwich, don't you? That had everything to do with narratives driven by people as well as a question about the high of a Superbowl.

Again, maybe if you didn't have an agenda to make it personal and focused on what was being discussed you'd see that. But by all means, continue down the rabbit hole.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I usually wait until someone has done literally anything before I canonize them.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

*laughs in caleb*
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is sort of like judging a player based on their combine:

* Looks great in underwear.

* Transferrable traits.

* Need more film.

EDIT: However, I do love 4 things:

* The base offense of Base offense predominate w/ formation/personnel variety + Outside/Mid Zone + Boots + Jet + Levels passing game + extremely high rate of PA-pass he’s shown in preseason and said would be a staple.

* His practice-field demeanor.

* His ability and willingness to articulate conceptually without getting gameplan-specific.

* In a recent press conference he stated unequivocally something to the effect of “yes, on 3rd and short its about winning one-on-ones, but as a coaching staff we do a disservice to our players and our team if we don’t give the edge defenders (in particular) something they have to think about and honor so they can’t just pin their ears back (which, without those things, you give defenders the “beat the man in front of you” advantage).

But we’ll see. Its all just talk and affectation until it shows up and produces results in the regular season.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:41 am
13F11B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:50 pm

um...

or

You do realize that's not voicing support for Leftwich, don't you? That had everything to do with narratives driven by people as well as a question about the high of a Superbowl.

Again, maybe if you didn't have an agenda to make it personal and focused on what was being discussed you'd see that. But by all means, continue down the rabbit hole.
Unlike you, I will take your word for what you meant.
Unlike you, I am not trying to make it personal.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Snake wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:45 am But anyone is an improvement over LeftBITCH. Glad that era is over.
FIFY
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:33 am
Snake wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:45 am But anyone is an improvement over LeftBITCH. Glad that era is over.
FIFY
No. It's Leftwich. No need to disparage the man just because he didn't work out the way it was hoped he would.
Don't tread on me
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:45 am I usually wait until someone has done literally anything before I canonize them.
Tom Brady is a pretty good quarterback!

Am I doing it right?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:47 am *laughs in caleb*
If Dave Canales was one of the most celebrated OCs in recent college football history, that'd be different. He's a guy who was seen as unfit to be his own team's coordinator.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:45 am

FIFY
No. It's Leftwich. No need to disparage the man just because he didn't work out the way it was hoped he would.
For real.
Like it or not he may be the best OC in franchise history.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Church of Canales is a bit hyperbolic, but why can't we celebrate the little things? All we have to go on so far is a few pre-season games. Two of which went pretty damn well for the martyr Mayfield. Trask looked good operating the offense as well.

What's so wrong with pointing that out?

I swear some of you just want this season to be an epic failure so much that you're not even entertaining the chance that it could be more.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:07 am Church of Canales is a bit hyperbolic, but why can't we celebrate the little things? All we have to go on so far is a few pre-season games. Two of which went pretty damn well for the martyr Mayfield. Trask looked good operating the offense as well.

What's so wrong with pointing that out?

I swear some of you just want this season to be an epic failure so much that you're not even entertaining the chance that it could be more.
In the spirit of optimism, I think Canales might end up a good OC (for the reasons I mentioned), but I’ll wait until reality supports that.

In the spirit of optimism, I’m confident that Jensen’s injury (while sucking for him) is a bit of a boon because (a) Hainsey needs to play and (b) this offense is made for him (contra Jensen).

In the spirit of optimism, Coach Bowles is smiling more. That can’t be a bad thing (for both him and for the people he’s around all the time).

In the spirit of optimism, I’m looking forward to seeing White and Tucker in this scheme. Patience/discipline > vision > burst and balance-through-contact pays off here.

In the spirit of optimism, AWJ moving back to his best position should help him and help the D.

In the spirit of optimism, we have more pass rush weapons for depth/subpackage than I recall in awhile and Shaq’s burst/bend doesn’t seem wrecked.

In the spirit of optimism, Godwin seems to have his explosivity/aggression fully returned and Mike might flourish in what this offense asks from him.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

FIFY
Especially when you look back and realize that in three of his four years on the job the offense scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. Obviously that’s not because of him by any means, but no reason to be this petty about the guy anymore. He rightfully got replaced, let’s just move on.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Even that is unfairly cheating him out. Lefty played his role during that run. A huge role.

It's insane to be how some fans will just convince themselves every player and staffer who praised Leftwich during the that stretch was just lying and he wasn't actually contributing anything the entire time. Like, why? You need to sports-hate someone that bad?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:16 pm

Especially when you look back and realize that in three of his four years on the job the offense scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. Obviously that’s not because of him by any means, but no reason to be this petty about the guy anymore. He rightfully got replaced, let’s just move on.
Correction: Bruce Arians' offenses scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. When Arians handed him the keys to the bus, Leftwich promptly drove it off a cliff.

I ain't mad at Leftwich as a human being and would gladly buy him a beer and talk ball, but let's not pretend that last year under his watch wasn't a total offensive shitshow of his own devising.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:51 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:16 pm

Correction: Bruce Arians' offenses scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. When Arians handed him the keys to the bus, Leftwich promptly drove it off a cliff.

I ain't mad at Leftwich as a human being and would gladly buy him a beer and talk ball, but let's not pretend that last year under his watch wasn't a total offensive shitshow of his own devising.
Right. People shouldn't mistake my saying his name should not be disparaged as Buccanole did earlier in this thread with me praising Leftwich's tenure as OC after BA stepped away as HC. He needed to go and he's gone. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.
Don't tread on me