The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:11 pm

Great episode.

* Jab, jab, knock out! *
How can you not root for these guys after watching that? Lot of them passionate about being BUCS. You love to see it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I love that they've adopted the philosophy as their TD celebration.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:34 pm I love that they've adopted the philosophy as their TD celebration.
The uppercut thing? Mike has been doing that for quite some time.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:01 am
Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:34 pm I love that they've adopted the philosophy as their TD celebration.
The uppercut thing? Mike has been doing that for quite some time.
Yep. Mike Evans has been doing that celebration for years. It’s even his TD celebration on Madden.

Random clip from 2 years ago
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Evans has had the duck duck uppercut thing because he's into boxing. But if you watch now when they connect on a big TD, they come together and do jab jab upper. Maybe I'm reading too much into it because it's been a phrase Canales had repeated. I just love watching them enjoy themselves when we hit those big punches.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Church better be in full session tonight. Here's what Canales is up again:

Matt Patricia took over the Eagles D in week 15. They got even worse, allowing over 28ppg & 360 yards+.

Reed Blankenship has a groin injury and might not play. Sydney Brown is out with a torn ACL. They are down to Kevin Byard and Zyon's twin brother Tristin who's on their PS.

Dave, nows the time for church to be in full praise and worship
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 pm Church better be in full session tonight. Here's what Canales is up again:

Matt Patricia took over the Eagles D in week 15. They got even worse, allowing over 28ppg & 360 yards+.

Reed Blankenship has a groin injury and might not play. Sydney Brown is out with a torn ACL. They are down to Kevin Byard and Zyon's twin brother Tristin who's on their PS.

Baker has to hit the open guys.

Put our foot on the gas and don’t let up. A ground and pound game does not favor us.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:38 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 pm Church better be in full session tonight. Here's what Canales is up again:

Put our foot on the gas and don’t let up. A ground and pound game does not favor us.
Nope. We need to exploit that secondary.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:40 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:38 pm

Say one thing about the Bucs over the years, say that we consistently don't attack weaknesses on opposing rosters.

The secondary could be made up four dudes from the stands, and if the Bucs' game plan is to run it, then by God we will.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:48 pm

Say one thing about the Bucs over the years, say that we consistently don't attack weaknesses on opposing rosters.

The secondary could be made up four dudes from the stands, and if the Bucs' game plan is to run it, then by God we will.
Unfortunately you are very right.

I will say that was not true in the 2020 playoffs. On defense at least. They definitely attacked the weaknesses of our opponents.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

But we won NFC South 2 years in a row with these coaches. Our coaches know what they are doing and what ever game plan thy come up with, you have to assume that was the best game plan for that situation. You need to go join Bowles coaching academy.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Short passing game needs to be our running game. Get White out in space, hit Otten over the middle. Pick your deep shots and be greedy when you do
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I agree. Especially since I expect their interior line to give ours fits all day. It's the one place they are still strong and our guys have been super weak lately. At times literally weak.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:32 pm

But we won NFC South 2 years in a row with these coaches. Our coaches know what they are doing and what ever game plan thy come up with, you have to assume that was the best game plan for that situation. You need to go join Bowles coaching academy.
Excellent call by you here, Jonny Chan. Our coaches definitely know what they are doing, the game plans on both sides of the ball were implemented and executed to a T. They truly were the best game plans for that situation. So you were definitely on to something about having Cheb join the Bowles coaching academy.

GREAT CALL, CHAN!!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

30 points. 476 yards. 6-14 on 3rd down. Damn near 35 minutes TOP.

The holy ghost was present TONIGHT, Dave!
HALLELUJAH!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Should we be distressed that already, someone is reaching out to take this guy away from us, after only the first year and just as he is getting this Offense clicking?
Push the damned button already!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

IronDog wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:44 am Should we be distressed that already, someone is reaching out to take this guy away from us, after only the first year and just as he is getting this Offense clicking?
I don't know, but the way he got emotional in that press conference after the GB game I think when talking about Todd Bowles giving him his shot leads me to believe there's at least some level of loyalty there. Probably not "forever" loyalty, but at least another year or so as they try to build this program with Baker.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:46 am
IronDog wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:44 am Should we be distressed that already, someone is reaching out to take this guy away from us, after only the first year and just as he is getting this Offense clicking?
I don't know, but the way he got emotional in that press conference after the GB game I think when talking about Todd Bowles giving him his shot leads me to believe there's at least some level of loyalty there. Probably not "forever" loyalty, but at least another year or so as they try to build this program with Baker.
The only hope we have is that he doesn’t want to work for Tepper who appears to be the worst owner in the league. That being said there are only 32 NFL HC jobs in the world so if he does get a legitimate offer I don’t blame him for taking it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Tepper is interviewing a representative from every team it seems like. If Canales can get the HC job from that pool, he's earned it and applaud him. But I wouldn't expect it to happen. This is the only team that has requested an interview with Canales anyway. So more than likely he's back in Tampa next year.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Would be prettt rare for a guy with only 1 year coordinating to get a HC job so I’ll assume he’s back. Having continuity with him and Baker is very important going forward for this offence.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

The whispers of Canales leaving to Carolina are getting louder.

And that would be a full fledged disaster.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

real bucs fan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 pm The whispers of Canales leaving to Carolina are getting louder.

If Cannales does leave for Carolina, wish him the best, enjoy your comp picks, and reload with your next man up.

I like Canales and all, but I don't think he's a bonafide HC candidate after one year of producing an okay offense.

The sky hasn't fallen yet, and even if it does it'll be okay.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I really want Baker to have the same OC for 2 seasons in a row…for the first time in his career. This dude has learned a new offense every season. I want to see what he can do when he is allowed to grow in an offense instead of learning a new one.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:23 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 pm The whispers of Canales leaving to Carolina are getting louder.

If Cannales does leave for Carolina, wish him the best, enjoy your comp picks, and reload with your next man up.

I like Canales and all, but I don't think he's a bonafide HC candidate after one year of producing an okay offense.

The sky hasn't fallen yet, and even if it does it'll be okay.
Per Rick Stroud, Canales has all the intangibles of being a head coach. Good planner, good game day strategist, and good leader of men. Whether or not he's ready for that remains to be seen.

Are the Panthers really going to roll the dice with a young guy like him? That's been the trend lately. A lot of younger NFL head coaches. As I said in another thread, there is a lot of smoke with Canales to Carolina. I'm in a wait and see mode.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 pm I really want Baker to have the same OC for 2 seasons in a row…for the first time in his career. This dude has learned a new offense every season. I want to see what he can do when he is allowed to grow in an offense instead of learning a new one.
This. So much this.

I think there's a good chance he leaves. After Geno and Baker he's the hottest name in the QB whisperer game. And when you are both all in on your rookie savior while already on your second coaching regime, that's exactly the guy you go after.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'm confused. Is it the QB coach that gets credited with a QBs resurgence or the OC?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:06 am I'm confused. Is it the QB coach that gets credited with a QBs resurgence or the OC?
Well, he has been both. I'm sure he puts "coach of back to back Comeback Player of the Year QBs" on his resume. Making assumptions, but it should be Baker.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:06 am I'm confused. Is it the QB coach that gets credited with a QBs resurgence or the OC?
That depends on who is telling the story and who is listening.

Having listened to Canales speak for the last several months, I don’t doubt for a second that he can get a GM (especially one who knows him) and an owner to buy into how his tutelage/philosophy/system elevated both Geno and Baker.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:47 pm
Well, he has been both. I'm sure he puts "coach of back to back Comeback Player of the Year QBs" on his resume. Making assumptions, but it should be Baker.
Maybe if Hamlin didn’t literally come back from the dead. It’s about as big of a lock that could possibly exist.

But the rest of your point stands.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

Maybe if Hamlin didn’t literally come back from the dead. It’s about as big of a lock that could possibly exist.

Yes. Good chance he wins it just by being alive.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Point being if it's the former, we're in good shape and can just promote our QB coach. If it's the latter, then why are we crediting him with Geno..If it's both then we're on good shape anyway.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:04 pm

Point being if it's the former, we're in good shape and can just promote our QB coach. If it's the latter, then why are we crediting him with Geno..If it's both then we're on good shape anyway.
Who do you credit with the Eagles 2022 offensive success? Shane Steichen or Nick Sirianni?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

Adam Schein said his vote was 100% Baker, so not everyone cares about Hamlin's story. Besides, he played less snaps this year than last and only on special teams. No way he should win
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:04 pm

Bowles said he would have a complete search for OC if Canales is hired by Carolina (which sounds like Canales has said he would take it), and he did mention the QB coach as a possible replacement so you are spot on with that possibility