The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
GreatTimes

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by GreatTimes »

The Carolina Panthers has to be the worst team for a HC to go to. They traded away draft choices to get Bryce Young who has been a total flop. The Panthers need to sign a FA QB (Russell Wilson?) Defense is solid though.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:55 am The Carolina Panthers has to be the worst team for a HC to go to. They traded away draft choices to get Bryce Young who has been a total flop. The Panthers need to sign a FA QB (Russell Wilson?) Defense is solid though.
So the logic states that they hire a guy like Canales to work with Young. Baker Mayfield improved in leaps and bounds as the season went on for the Bucs.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:23 am
GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:55 am The Carolina Panthers has to be the worst team for a HC to go to. They traded away draft choices to get Bryce Young who has been a total flop. The Panthers need to sign a FA QB (Russell Wilson?) Defense is solid though.
So the logic states that they hire a guy like Canales to work with Young. Baker Mayfield improved in leaps and bounds as the season went on for the Bucs.
Logic also states that you don't label a guy as a bust after a poor rookie year. Otherwise Peyton Manning, Josh Allen, Matthew Stafford never make it in this league.
Most hated man in America.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:25 am

Logic also states that you don't label a guy as a bust after a poor rookie year. Otherwise Peyton Manning, Josh Allen, Matthew Stafford never make it in this league.
Agreed. Even Mahomes and Goff didn't exactly meet the hype they have now in their rookie years.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:28 am

Agreed. Even Mahomes and Goff didn't exactly meet the hype they have now in their rookie years.
Yea Goff was pretty awful his rookie year. Mahomes didn't even start, Alex Smith was still there.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I wouldn't say Bryce Young's a bust, but his first year was a definite disappointment. One of the worst first years by a top pick in recent memory, though to be fair he had very little help on either side of the ball.

If I were the Panthers, hiring a guy who coached the last two Comeback Players of the Year (assuming Baker wins it) would be an appealing move to aid in Young's development.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

For all we know, Canales might even turn down the Carolina job if offered. No reason to count chickens just yet.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:35 am

I wouldn't say Bryce Young's a bust, but his first year was a definite disappointment. One of the worst first years by a top pick in recent memory, though to be fair he had very little help on either side of the ball.

If I were the Panthers, hiring a guy who coached the last two Comeback Players of the Year (assuming Baker wins it) would be an appealing move to aid in Young's development.
Not sure about that.

QB A: 10 TDS/12 INTs 67.1 QB rating
QB B: 12 TDs/17 INTs 71.9 QB rating
QB C: 11 TDs/10 INTs 73.7 QB rating
QB D: 9 TDs/11 INTs 69.7 QB rating

All of these are in the last 6 years
Kona

Post by Kona »

Canales to Carolina confirmed

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·

A surprise! The #Panthers are closing in on a deal to hire #Bucs OC Dave Canales as their new head coach, sources say. A first-time coordinator, his work in Tampa this year — especially with Baker Mayfield — stood out.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:32 am
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:28 am

Yea Goff was pretty awful his rookie year. Mahomes didn't even start, Alex Smith was still there.
Which was shocking to see that the Chiefs jettisoned Smith after 2017 and made Mahomes the full time starter. Football tv personalities were saying how Andy Reid must've seen something in Mahomes he really liked. They had no idea how prophetic they could've been.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:07 pm Canales to Carolina confirmed

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·

A surprise! The #Panthers are closing in on a deal to hire #Bucs OC Dave Canales as their new head coach, sources say. A first-time coordinator, his work in Tampa this year — especially with Baker Mayfield — stood out.
That's shocking
Backside

Post by Backside »

Bummer
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Guy was too good

This is honestly a disaster. Would have rather fired Bowles after the timeout debacle than let Canales walk to a division rival.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Burn the church!!
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Worst case scenario this causes a chain reaction. Baker leaves so Evans leaves so David retires.
ImYourHuckleBerry831

Post by ImYourHuckleBerry831 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:28 pm Worst case scenario this causes a chain reaction. Baker leaves so Evans leaves so David retires.
What I was thinking, it’s a Bucs life. Why can’t we have anything good, this dramatically changes the outlook of the team imo.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This IMO reads like an attempt by Tepper to weaken us. Don't know how Canales is as a HC honestly. As an OC, there were times people wanted to fire him.

Silver lining, this is Todd Bowles 1st time having a hand in picking his OC and he picked a guy that became a HC in his 1st year. To me that means Bowles knows what he's doing and he can do it again.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:24 pm Guy was too good

This is honestly a disaster. Would have rather fired Bowles after the timeout debacle than let Canales walk to a division rival.
Same! oh well
Last edited by Phantom on Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I honestly don’t see the big deal. I thought Canales did fine for his first year on the job, but not so good to be worried about him leaving.

I would wish Canales luck, but he went to Carolina so hopefully he fails instead. Not personal, just is how it is.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Another OC for Baker, unless Baker opts for Carolina…
….Kinda….Lol
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:28 pm Worst case scenario this causes a chain reaction. Baker leaves so Evans leaves so David retires.
That is my fear. At that point blow it up lol
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I hope he doesn't mind being a one and done HC if he doesn't immediately turn that team around. We've seen that's how Tepper rolls. I think he would have been smarter to wait for the next opportunity. If he's as good as people think, that wouldn't haven't taken too long. If he's one and done, he may be waiting a long time for another opportunity.
Don't tread on me
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Looks like it is done https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/393 ... aking%20it. Makes me nauseous
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Fuuuuuuuuck
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

And the excuses for why Baker Mayfield ends up sucking next year are already lined up....you can't script this shit.
Backside

Post by Backside »

This is the argument for giving the offensive guy the HC gig. They just get poached and continuity is disrupted. If Bowles was the DC I promise no one is poaching him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Are we really believing that we can't replace the OC of the 20th best offense in football?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:21 pm Are we really believing that we can't replace the OC of the 20th best offense in football?
Right?!?! That’s like dying on the “we HAVE to give Baker 100m guaranteed” hill.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Fuuuuuuuuck
Pretty much my take.

I know it's damned hard to turn down a head coaching job but....damn did he take a shit one. He might be able to make something out of young but it's going to be like moving heaven and earth trying to build a team around him. If he can't get Young playing at a very high level, they may well be picking #1 overall again. Hey, at least they'd get to keep it this time.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This hiring and the response shows how ingrained in futility this fanbase is.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

The guy on the radio here was basically saying that no one else would take this job (Panthers) and fans should be excited they got someone. He said he doesn't want to hear anyone mentioning the 20th ranked offense or 1 year as an OC. He said yes...he's young...seems to do well with QBs...and he said YES. He said he'd hang up on anyone who said otherwise, lol.
Kona

Post by Kona »

I liked Canales. Offense started to gel more the last quarter of the season and post season. He’s a charismatic up and coming OC with ties to their new GM. Personally I think he’ll do well there. But let’s see who we get as OC before we go all doom and gloom.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

disappointing.. was really looking forward to year 2 with the unit/OC
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Seems like a good guy. I'd wish him luck, but he's with the Panthers so no. And this is the insult to the injury:

The deepest hurt.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:21 pm Are we really believing that we can't replace the OC of the 20th best offense in football?
The O was really starting to click. If you can’t see how this is bad, I don’t know what to tell you.