The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by BucsNBills »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Fuuuuuuuuck
This fucking sucks. Baker simply can't win when it comes to keeping OC continuity.

Wonder if this will have a chain reaction on Baker and Evans signing here? If Baker has to learn a brand new offense regardless, then he may as well explore his options elsewhere.

edit: And we don't even get the racist diversity comp picks. What a terrible series of events.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:51 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:21 pm Are we really believing that we can't replace the OC of the 20th best offense in football?
The O was really starting to click. If you can’t see how this is bad, I don’t know what to tell you.
You're treating Canales like he revolutionized offense in the NFL. It certainly wasn't something that we can't improve upon.
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 pm And the excuses for why Baker Mayfield ends up sucking next year are already lined up....you can't script this shit.
Jalen Hurts on line 1
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

A downstream effect that we shouldn't discount is that Cannales might raid our staff to fill out his own, which if he takes enough folks with him could be detrimental to say the least.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:08 pm
acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 pm And the excuses for why Baker Mayfield ends up sucking next year are already lined up....you can't script this shit.
Jalen Hurts on line 1
Lamar Jackson on line 2.

@acmillis is right. People are gonna use this as an excuse. They already are.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Downside of this fanbase: They aren't use to this happening.
Spoiler alert: It happens every single year. Teams get coaches poached. It doesn't mean you bitch and cry about it. Just means you find somebody better.

I expect us to with ease.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. I imagine he's going to take Brad with him to be his OC.

I'm all for hopium, but copium less so. This is a big blow. I know people think "Well if the players are good enough they'll just ball" but we've seen example after example that that just isn't so. FIT is king. It's a TEAM sport, and yes, that includes the coaches. Just look at the Eagles if you don't believe me. Hell the Chiefs still had Andy Reid at the helm but the loss of Eric B was definitely felt.

This sucks. Plain and simple. My expectations for next year just took a major hit.

And yes, poor fucking Baker can't catch a god damn break.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Brutal loss with the Bucs. Good hire by Carolina though. They finally made a good decision in their front office.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This time last year not 1 person had heard of Dave Canales. Now he's a HC after an okay year as OC and it's a "huge loss"??

:lol: :lol: :lol: I so wish you guy were fans of teams outside of the Bucs just so you'd understand how routine this is.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Canales is a minority?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:18 pm This time last year not 1 person had heard of Dave Canales. Now he's a HC after an okay year as OC and it's a "huge loss"??

:lol: :lol: :lol: I so wish you guy were fans of teams outside of the Bucs just so you'd understand how routine this is.
Yes.

Because the fact that no one had heard of him before last year has exactly.............. zero weight on what he is and what he meant to us.

And you know this.

You know you're making a stupid point because if someone said "Bucs should fire Canales. He had a lucky year. No one knew him before now" you'd tell the fool to take a hike,
Last edited by Doctor on Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:37 pm Canales is a minority?
Si.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:18 pm This time last year not 1 person had heard of Dave Canales. Now he's a HC after an okay year as OC and it's a "huge loss"??

The QB and offense overall improved throughout the year and played well down the stretch. Building on positive momentum.

But, maybe it’s just a huge nothingburger and it doesn’t matter in the least? Ask the Eagles and their fans what they think though.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Lies.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:40 pm
Si.
I’ll be damned. I guess we’re getting somewhere.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm

The QB and offense overall improved throughout the year and played well down the stretch. Building on positive momentum.

But, maybe it’s just a huge nothingburger and it doesn’t matter in the least? Ask the Eagles and their fans what they think though.
I'd rather ask the Ravens, thank you.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

A cambiar Canales
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:41 pm

I’d feel better if we had John Harbaugh.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:43 pm

There go those goal posts, on the move again.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:44 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:43 pm

There go those goal posts, on the move again.
What goal posts? What’s the goal? Where did I move it to?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Maybe we can just hire him back after the inevitable Tepper meltdown following an 0-6 start.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:53 pm Maybe we can just hire him back after the inevitable Tepper meltdown following an 0-6 start.
Not gonna lie, I'm not counting that out.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:32 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Fuuuuuuuuck
Pretty much my take.

I know it's damned hard to turn down a head coaching job but....damn did he take a shit one. He might be able to make something out of young but it's going to be like moving heaven and earth trying to build a team around him. If he can't get Young playing at a very high level, they may well be picking #1 overall again. Hey, at least they'd get to keep it this time.
I think he will bring Russell Wilson to Carolina.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:54 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:32 pm

Pretty much my take.

I know it's damned hard to turn down a head coaching job but....damn did he take a shit one. He might be able to make something out of young but it's going to be like moving heaven and earth trying to build a team around him. If he can't get Young playing at a very high level, they may well be picking #1 overall again. Hey, at least they'd get to keep it this time.
I think he will bring Russell Wilson to Carolina.
Think Wilson has fallen to back up duties already? I don't know about that.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Lies.
As much a minority as Tom Flores or Wayne Fontes.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Jonny wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:24 pm Panthers have to go for guys like Canales even if Bucs offense is so so, because I just can't see who else would sign up for a couple of years of Teper. It will also be a good decision for Canales to go for this opening if Panthers are serious because one season Leftwich was a hot commodity and the next off season nobody wanted him to even lead their offense. Being tied to Baker as an OC for multiple seasons is a double edged sword. Todd Monken somehow recovered from Jameis and Baker experience, thanks to his time in UGA, but that is an anomaly.
Called it.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I think Canales will be a good head coach. What he did with Baker is no joke. His play sequencing and blind commitment to run in some games was head scratching. But the guy generally has some good ideas on how to get his receivers open and does not simply rely on athleticism of his players to dictate his offense. I think another year would have made him deadly, but you can never count on it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:53 pm Maybe we can just hire him back after the inevitable Tepper meltdown following an 0-6 start.
Maybe we won't need to.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Unfortunately I agree that Canales will be a great HC. Hopefully the rest of organization remains a shitshow so it matters not.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Lies.
Nope, truth. His mexican heritage means he could have garnered us two third round comp picks in consecutive years if he'd been with the team two full seasons.
Backside

Post by Backside »

You’ve come a long way in 24 hours from being certain that no one would offer him a HC gig.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:07 pm

You’ve come a long way in 24 hours from being certain that no one would offer him a HC gig.
The odds and resumé made it unlikely IMO.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Canales moving on hurts in the sense that he has to be replaced which always carries some risk. However Bowles picked Canales so, if we assume he's a big loss, then Bowles must have some ability to pick an OC.

Secondly, while the Bucs offense was better towards the end of the year (in spots considering that 9 point run through of Carolina), I never looked at him as some offensive savant who couldn't be replaced. Thad Lewis is being looked at by the Raiders to be their OC and he's likely the immediate choice of the Bucs as well.

Thirdly, good luck Coach Canales in Carolina. I agree that he may have been the choice because no one else wanted it but he's also seemed to have helped two QBs who were on the downturn the last two years. A very tough job he's undertaking.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:06 pm
Maybe we won't need to.
I was madly disappointed last season after firing Leftwich that we weren't promoting someone from within the organization among BA's huge army of Assistant Coaches. Thad Lewis coached the WRs in 22 and the QB in 23. We may have our guy already and he might be the most suited from a continuity perspective. I'm assuming that is where you are going with your post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:06 pm

Maybe we won't need to.
I was madly disappointed last season after firing Leftwich that we weren't promoting someone from within the organization among BA's huge army of Assistant Coaches. Thad Lewis coached the WRs in 22 and the QB in 23. We may have our guy already and he might be the most suited from a continuity perspective. I'm assuming that is where you are going with your post.
I'm just saying the offense will be better should be better in 2024.

We were 0-19 scoring TDs on opening drives. 32nd in run game efficiency. 27th in scoring TDs in the red zone. Even the passing game which was the strength of the offense was just 17th.

It honestly can only go up from here.