The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:24 pm
Jonny wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:12 pm

I was madly disappointed last season after firing Leftwich that we weren't promoting someone from within the organization among BA's huge army of Assistant Coaches. Thad Lewis coached the WRs in 22 and the QB in 23. We may have our guy already and he might be the most suited from a continuity perspective. I'm assuming that is where you are going with your post.
I'm just saying the offense will be better should be better in 2024.

We were 0-19 scoring TDs on opening drives. 32nd in run game efficiency. 27th in scoring TDs in the red zone. Even the passing game which was the strength of the offense was just 17th.

It honestly can only go up from here.
Baker Mayfield: "Hold my beer..."
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Canales will be a better head coach than offensive coordinator. He's built to be a HC. The continuity is my only concern. We had s great locker room this year, but we will find a better OC.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Clearly he was hired as a HC after 1 season because he was a terrible OC 😂
Hamboonies

Post by Hamboonies »

I believe his play calling can be replaced. It's his
Whole demeanor, positivity whatever yu want to call it that will be missed most. He made it fun to come to work. Bowels said it was like a college atmosphere with everyone playing for each other.
He'll I felt better after just listening to him. He's going to be a great coach. I knew as soon as Carolina interviewed him he was gone. How could yu not believe. He has the IT factor. Big loss
Hamboonies

Post by Hamboonies »

I believe his play calling can be replaced. It's his
Whole demeanor, positivity whatever yu want to call it that will be missed most. He made it fun to come to work. Bowels said it was like a college atmosphere with everyone playing for each other.
He'll I felt better after just listening to him. He's going to be a great coach. I knew as soon as Carolina interviewed him he was gone. How could yu not believe. He has the IT factor. Big loss
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

This is a bummer, but I’m not surprised.

I was really looking forward to seeing how things took shape in year 2. The continuity would have been awesome… but this is the price of doing well. Also sucks that it’s to a divisional foe.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Many of Panthers fans are not happy with Canales' hiring. What say you? @CamCam
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don't think it's a big loss that Canales is now with the Panthers, you guys are making it a big deal.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:02 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:51 pm

The O was really starting to click. If you can’t see how this is bad, I don’t know what to tell you.
You're treating Canales like he revolutionized offense in the NFL. It certainly wasn't something that we can't improve upon.
I think Canales was on his way to becoming an excellent OC, but you’re correct. Also the fact is that Bowles vetted Canales in the first place so he can do it again with the next OC.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm Clearly he was hired as a HC after 1 season because he was a terrible OC 😂
Terrible coaches are hired all the time so being hired is not proof of competency.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:07 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:02 pm

You're treating Canales like he revolutionized offense in the NFL. It certainly wasn't something that we can't improve upon.
I think Canales was on his way to becoming an excellent OC, but you’re correct. Also the fact is that Bowles vetted Canales in the first place so he can do it again with the next OC.
That's how I'm looking at this. This is basically Bowles 1st time having input on hiring an OC and in 1 seasoj hey went to the playoffs, won the division, a playoff game and that guy got hired as a HC. Logic tells me he can absolutely do it again.
Most hated man in America.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:10 pm

That's how I'm looking at this. This is basically Bowles 1st time having input on hiring an OC and in 1 seasoj hey went to the playoffs, won the division, a playoff game and that guy got hired as a HC. Logic tells me he can absolutely do it again.
Exactly. It speaks to the competency of his process which is impressive. Considering how long Bowles has been around I was surprised and impressed with the Canales hire because it wasn’t someone familiar to him. Generally coaches don’t hold true searches so much as hire known quantities. I hope Bowles takes that same approach even if the end result is a known quantity.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm Clearly he was hired as a HC after 1 season because he was a terrible OC 😂
Terrible coaches are hired all the time so being hired is not proof of competency.
Promotions don’t usually come to those who did a bad job…

And Canales was universally praised.

Not sure what the angle here is, but this is bad news to anyone looking at it straight on.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:53 pm
Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 pm

Promotions don’t usually come to those who did a bad job…

And Canales was universally praised.

Not sure what the angle here is, but this is bad news to anyone looking at it straight on.
My point is simple: promotion is not proof of competency. Raheem Morris was promoted. Rich Bissachia was not.

Promotion is not proof of competence.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:14 pm Brutal loss with the Bucs. Good hire by Carolina though. They finally made a good decision in their front office.
He might find out things may not go as smoothly without a Metcalf, Lockett, Godwin, Evans..

Very bitter on this
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

It was too soon to leave, Bitter taste to swallow

Hope he fails.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 pm
Navybuc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:14 pm Brutal loss with the Bucs. Good hire by Carolina though. They finally made a good decision in their front office.
He might find out things may not go as smoothly without a Metcalf, Lockett, Godwin, Evans..

Very bitter on this
I personally feel betrayed. And I feel betrayed for the locker room. I am sure they feel some abandonment as well. How could they not?
I said what I said

Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:33 pm

Very bitter on this
I personally feel betrayed. And I feel betrayed for the locker room. I am sure they feel some abandonment as well. How could they not?
It was an opportunity of a lifetime: the rare chance to attain the pinnacle of the profession he’s chosen to dedicate his life to; along with absolute life changing money for not just now, but money that could set his family up for generations.

It’s also an opportunity that could be fleeting. Look what happened to Lefty — potential HC candidate to out of the league in the matter of one season.

Timing sucks for us, and it really blows it’s to a rival, but I can’t begrudge him. Maybe if he was here for a long time (like McKay)… and/or it was to the Saints haha
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Very bitter on this
I am sure the players are fine and likely happy for him. They’re all in this for business so they understand Canales taking the opportunity of a lifetime.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 am

I am sure the players are fine and likely happy for him. They’re all in this for business so they understand Canales taking the opportunity of a lifetime.
Agreed. You can't realistically expect an assistant coach to turn down a HC gig. I don't know what his contract will be it's probably a big step up from whatever we were paying him as OC. Plus, there is a certain amount of prestige in earning a shot at the big office, even if it is under Tepper.

I just think he he took a job that is a losing proposition. That team is in a bad, bad place and it's going to take some miraculous work on befalf of Canales and his Gm to turn it around any time soon.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Very bitter on this
Not to be a negative nancy, but there's nothing stopping Mike Evans from signing with the Panthers to play for Canales next season.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 am

Very bitter on this
Not to be a negative nancy, but there's nothing stopping Mike Evans from signing with the Panthers to play for Canales next season.
True but I'd think if Evans leaves there are many better spots than that dumpster fire to go to.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 am

Very bitter on this
If he did that, he just hates Tampa.. and he clearly doesn't so I'm good assuming he doesn't go to Car
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Let me get this straight. People were saying before why would Mike wanna stay in Tampa who has minimal chance at a championship with Baker. Now they think he'd go to Carolina with no chance of one??

This is rich. Carolina has less cap space than we do going into 2024. They also are without a 1st round pick as well. If Evans decided to go to Carolina it would ONLY be to play for Canales because it damn sure wouldn't be for the money or to win.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Yeah, Evans isn’t going there. If he leaves it’ll be for Buffalo or KC.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 am

I disagree they all they feel is happy for him. You don’t have a group of humans as connected as they were and feel nothing but joy when one leaves. They can be supportive of him and still feel some abandonment. Both can exist at the same time.
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So grown men should be upset that someone they have love and respect for took a better opportunity for himself and his family?

Any player upset about that needs to be let go. Without question. That type of jealousy has no business in any professional setting.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:25 am So grown men should be upset that someone they have love and respect for took a better opportunity for himself and his family?

Any player upset about that needs to be let go. Without question. That type of jealousy has no business in any professional setting.
wholeheartedly agree. If one of your close colleagues let you know someone reached out to him to headhunt him, not the other way around, and wanted to provide him a fully guaranteed salary for 2-3-4-5 times what he's currently making on a non-guaranteed salary and you were like, "well I guess you never really liked us, did you?" you need to take a hike.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 pm I don't think it's a big loss that Canales is now with the Panthers, you guys are making it a big deal.
Curious, if Dave Canales isn't the kind of man and coach worth being upset about losing then who is?
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:25 am So grown men should be upset that someone they have love and respect for took a better opportunity for himself and his family?

Big time opportunity and financial security for him and his family. A six year contract, and we all know that coaching contracts are fully guaranteed unless the team can show cause.

I'm disappointed but not upset to the point where I'm letting it affect me. And the players shouldn't be either. This is a business. You work to get ahead in a business.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:42 am

wholeheartedly agree. If one of your close colleagues let you know someone reached out to him to headhunt him, not the other way around, and wanted to provide him a fully guaranteed salary for 2-3-4-5 times what he's currently making on a non-guaranteed salary and you were like, "well I guess you never really liked us, did you?" you need to take a hike.
Exactly this. They aren’t feeling abandoned because someone they like just got his dream job. They’re happy for him and focused on moving forward.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:10 pm

You are forgetting that he hired an OC in NY.

"Currently, the position remains vacant, as Bowles looks to hire his third coordinator in four years."

Right now, I think Bowles is 1-4 in the picking an OC.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:25 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 pm I don't think it's a big loss that Canales is now with the Panthers, you guys are making it a big deal.
Curious, if Dave Canales isn't the kind of man and coach worth being upset about losing then who is?
You can be sad to see someone go but happy for their opportunity at the same time
CamCam

Post by CamCam »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:16 pm Many of Panthers fans are not happy with Canales' hiring. What say you? @CamCam
I've learned not to be happy with anything until we start winning :lol:
But he is an exciting hire after what happened with Geno and Baker also a hit to the Bucs is a plus

Edit: Also with big names out there Canales isn't what people expected considering wasn't this his first year as OC? a lot of us wanted Harbaugh with some people I know wanting Belichick.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

CamCam wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:21 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:16 pm Many of Panthers fans are not happy with Canales' hiring. What say you? @CamCam
I've learned not to be happy with anything until we start winning :lol:
But he is an exciting hire after what happened with Geno and Baker also a hit to the Bucs is a plus
I think he’s going to be a great hire… unfortunately.
Edit: Also with big names out there Canales isn't what people expected considering wasn't this his first year as OC? a lot of us wanted Harbaugh with some people I know wanting Belichick.
That’s adorable.