The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:49 pm @CannonFire Please tell us what your plan at QB would have been for this team if it didn’t include Mayfield? Be specific. My guess is you won’t say what you’d have done differently.

If you aren’t capable of that please stop. It’s pointless. He’s the QB here until he isn’t. What’s the point of mocking people for appreciating his story and thinking he can win here?
What's it matter? Unless I say I'm going to force KC to give us Mahomes, you're going to poo poo any suggestion I make.
Just so we'd have some message board receipts. I didn't figure you'd plant a flag.

If Mayfield fails you'll say "I told you so," but without stating what you would have specifically done differently your stance doesn't have much credibility.

I wouldn't "poo poo" anything as long as it was realistic.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Looks like we lost David Moore to the Panthers.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 pm Looks like we lost David Moore to the Panthers.
Not a big loss.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

GreatTimes wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 pm Looks like we lost David Moore to the Panthers.
Not a big loss.
Not really, no. But it also doesn’t help with the WR depth either.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:39 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 pm
Not a big loss.
He had seven targets all last year. You really don't think anyone other than Kieft can't make that up?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:39 pm

He had seven targets all last year. You really don't think anyone other than Kieft can't make that up?
That’s not what I was implying. Some of yall just want to argue lol.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Our WR depth is a problem. Behind Evans & Godwin we have Palmer and that's about it. Thompkins is useless as a receiver. I can't name anyone else. Moore at least had a few highlights with long catch & run TDs and now he's gone. So like Miller said, it's not a huge loss but him leaving doesn't help our depth.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:06 am Our WR depth is a problem. Behind Evans & Godwin we have Palmer and that's about it. Thompkins is useless as a receiver. I can't name anyone else. Moore at least had a few highlights with long catch & run TDs and now he's gone. So like Miller said, it's not a huge loss but him leaving doesn't help our depth.
Good year to need one. Peg that 4th rounder for it.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:06 am Our WR depth is a problem. Behind Evans & Godwin we have Palmer and that's about it. Thompkins is useless as a receiver. I can't name anyone else. Moore at least had a few highlights with long catch & run TDs and now he's gone. So like Miller said, it's not a huge loss but him leaving doesn't help our depth.
Kade Warner is locked down for three years so let's not forget about that legend.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Finding a relatively inexpensive FA replacement for David Moore shouldn't be too difficult.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Four Verticals wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 pm Finding a relatively inexpensive FA replacement for David Moore shouldn't be too difficult.
Moore produced a couple electrifying plays that I havnt seen in Tampa for ?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:12 pm
Kade Warner is locked down for three years so let's not forget about that legend.
I'll leave the advice on random player X to @mdb1958 thank you :D :D :D
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Being in the back for rounds 1, 2, and 3 will be painful. 4, 5, 6, and 7 will be hard to watch for 3 players. I'll be miserable watching teams parade down main street - singing ahh yes come climb aboard our float..
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Being in the back for rounds 1, 2, and 3 will be painful. 4, 5, 6, and 7 will be hard to watch for 3 players. I'll be miserable watching teams parade down main street - singing ahh yes come climb aboard our float..
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

San Antonio Brahmas?

Coach: Wade Phillips
Quarterbacks: Quinten Dormady, Tom Flacco, Chase Garbers

Phillips moves to the Brahmas after a successful stint with the Roughnecks in the XFL last season in which he led them to a Western Division championship. The 76-year-old was an NFL fixture for nearly 50 years as a defensive coordinator and head coach, compiling a 90-73 record (including playoffs) in nine-plus seasons as a head coach.

The headliner among the QBs is Flacco, the younger brother of longtime NFL signal-caller Joe Flacco. Dormady was the primary starter for the XFL's Orlando Guardians last season, throwing for 1,507 yards and 10 touchdown passes. Garbers was on the Las Vegas Raiders' active roster for the final two games of the 2022 season.

Other players to watch: Donald De La Haye, K (UCF, YouTube account (@Deestroying) has 5.77 million subscribers); Teez Tabor, DB (Florida, second-round draft pick of Detroit Lions in 2017); Kade Warner, WR (Kansas State, son of NFL Hall of Famer Kurt Warner)
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Lots of NFL bloodlines there
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bingo. I would honestly like at least one veteran behind those guys. I also don’t like that Trey Palmer might just get handed the 3rd WR job. I’m not overly impressed with him to just be comfortable letting him have that job with no competition. Maybe a mid round pick gets added, but I would like a cheap vet around too.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:48 pm
Bingo. I would honestly like at least one veteran behind those guys. I also don’t like that Trey Palmer might just get handed the 3rd WR job. I’m not overly impressed with him to just be comfortable letting him have that job with no competition. Maybe a mid round pick gets added, but I would like a cheap vet around too.
I expect him to take a big step. Gamer.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Draft, UDFAs, and post draft cuts is where you fill out the bottom of WR chart.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

I’d still love to see what Bowles could do with Isaiah Simmons.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The real Dave Moore retired.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:46 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 pm

What's it matter? Unless I say I'm going to force KC to give us Mahomes, you're going to poo poo any suggestion I make.
Just so we'd have some message board receipts. I didn't figure you'd plant a flag.

If Mayfield fails you'll say "I told you so," but without stating what you would have specifically done differently your stance doesn't have much credibility.

Don't give me that crap, I've made tons of alternative suggestions in the Mayfield thread, and you know it.

Here's another one. I mentioned in the Fields thread that the Bears would probably get a 5th for him, maybe a 4th, and despite a few people (don't remember who honestly), saying someone would give up a 2nd or more, that's exactly what the Bears got. Here's a kicker, they're not even getting that pick this year. I'd have given up a 5th (this year), for him which is equivalent to a 4th next year. He has 3 years in, which means he can be extended.

Here's the deal I offer him: so I tell him... A 3 yr contract where the signing bonus brings him up to $10M this year (sound familiar?), then 2 more years where he makes $15M in base pay only, and his 5th year option in May is not picked up. Now, I'm still drafting a QB this year. I think Bo Nix (yeah, I don't care if you don't like him), at #26 and I'm letting him sit in 2024. If Fields stinks, it only cost me $10M and I'm out (and no dead cap number like I would with Mayfield), and I have 4 more years with Nix. If Fields is good enough get another year, it costs me just another $15M (at this point, he cost me HALF of what Mayfield does in these 2 seasons), and I can either trade him and get a better ROI than my 5th rounder from this year, or I extend him because I have a franchise QB and I trade Nix and get my 1st rounder back.

Why does Fields take that deal? Because it guarantees him $10M instead of $1.6M is he's going to make this year. It also gives him a chance to still earn the $25M (in the 2 years), that he could've made next year, that he currently has a 0% chance of making otherwise. He also has a chance to prove he's worth a long term deal... meaning, he has a chance to bet on himself. If he doesn't take the deal, he's going to have to bet against someone else, because I still draft Bo Nix and I name Nix the starter Day 1 and Fields rides the pine and will have to take a Baker Mayfield $5M semi-prove-it deal... and even if he does, he'll still need to sign ANOTHER prove-it deal (like Mayfield just did).

Now, you're going to say something like "why go through all of that when we already have that?" Well, it's because I'm guaranteed $25M of flexibility with no dead cap potential AND I know I still have a ceiling to be reached. The fact is, Mayfield is a bottom tier starter in the NFL.... that's what he is and all he'll ever be. He's the worst kind of QB because you need to pay him a lot of money to be below average and it reduces the teams ability to build around him. With a guy like Fields, there's still upside. If it doesn't pan out, I'm still ahead financially and still have a backup plan (a 1st rd QB), on the roster. Odds are, when we win 7 or 8 games this year (if we're lucky), we're stuck with Mayfield again next year (at the very least, a cap hit), and will be forced to look to the draft to upgrade.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:35 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:48 pm

I expect him to take a big step. Gamer.
Maybe? Fact remains though we are short of experience at WR beyond Evans & Godwin. The result wasn't ideal but I get the idea behind signing Russell Gage. Our WRs are all inexperienced. A grand total of 0 starts between the guys 3rd & lower on the depth chart. That can't be the plan.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

First thing I think when I look at the remaining WR free agents is meh, give a new guy a chance.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:49 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:46 pm

Don't give me that crap, I've made tons of alternative suggestions in the Mayfield thread, and you know it.

Here's another one. I mentioned in the Fields thread that the Bears would probably get a 5th for him, maybe a 4th, and despite a few people (don't remember who honestly), saying someone would give up a 2nd or more, that's exactly what the Bears got. Here's a kicker, they're not even getting that pick this year. I'd have given up a 5th (this year), for him which is equivalent to a 4th next year. He has 3 years in, which means he can be extended.

Here's the deal I offer him: so I tell him... A 3 yr contract where the signing bonus brings him up to $10M this year (sound familiar?), then 2 more years where he makes $15M in base pay only, and his 5th year option in May is not picked up. Now, I'm still drafting a QB this year. I think Bo Nix (yeah, I don't care if you don't like him), at #26 and I'm letting him sit in 2024. If Fields stinks, it only cost me $10M and I'm out (and no dead cap number like I would with Mayfield), and I have 4 more years with Nix. If Fields is good enough get another year, it costs me just another $15M (at this point, he cost me HALF of what Mayfield does in these 2 seasons), and I can either trade him and get a better ROI than my 5th rounder from this year, or I extend him because I have a franchise QB and I trade Nix and get my 1st rounder back.

Why does Fields take that deal? Because it guarantees him $10M instead of $1.6M is he's going to make this year. It also gives him a chance to still earn the $25M (in the 2 years), that he could've made next year, that he currently has a 0% chance of making otherwise. He also has a chance to prove he's worth a long term deal... meaning, he has a chance to bet on himself. If he doesn't take the deal, he's going to have to bet against someone else, because I still draft Bo Nix and I name Nix the starter Day 1 and Fields rides the pine and will have to take a Baker Mayfield $5M semi-prove-it deal... and even if he does, he'll still need to sign ANOTHER prove-it deal (like Mayfield just did).

Now, you're going to say something like "why go through all of that when we already have that?" Well, it's because I'm guaranteed $25M of flexibility with no dead cap potential AND I know I still have a ceiling to be reached. The fact is, Mayfield is a bottom tier starter in the NFL.... that's what he is and all he'll ever be. He's the worst kind of QB because you need to pay him a lot of money to be below average and it reduces the teams ability to build around him. With a guy like Fields, there's still upside. If it doesn't pan out, I'm still ahead financially and still have a backup plan (a 1st rd QB), on the roster. Odds are, when we win 7 or 8 games this year (if we're lucky), we're stuck with Mayfield again next year (at the very least, a cap hit), and will be forced to look to the draft to upgrade.
Why when we have glaring needs at edge and iOL are you wasting our #1 on a potential bust of a QB in a draft with little edge beyond the top 4 and needing probably two iOL? We have seen what Fields looks like with a shitty OLine (see Chicago) and you want to put Nix in the same position?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 pm

Why when we have glaring needs at edge and iOL are you wasting our #1 on a potential bust of a QB in a draft with little edge beyond the top 4 and needing probably two iOL? We have seen what Fields looks like with a shitty OLine (see Chicago) and you want to put Nix in the same position?
Agreed. Much as I am a fan of Kyle Trask, drafting a QB in the first round this year would be a similar mistake.

We were one quarter away from the NFC championship, and using our offseason resources to get us there and beyond should be the priority imo, not adding another young blood to the QB when we are due to pay Baker for the foreseeable future.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:46 pm

Agreed. Much as I am a fan of Kyle Trask, drafting a QB in the first round this year would be a similar mistake.

We were one quarter away from the NFC championship, and using our offseason resources to get us there and beyond should be the priority imo, not adding another young blood to the QB when we are due to pay Baker for the foreseeable future.
That's right... every qb in the draft is a bust, until WE reclaim them. Every other guy is a choke artist, except for our QB with 2 mins left, when he threw a pick.

:lol:

Thought you were better than that Cheb. You always come off as a very realistic person, and not a blind homer. :D
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

You're right, lets just wait until 2028 after whomever takes Nix... cuts him, and we can get him for $5M and he can all of a sudden be worth a $50M deal then!!
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Arguing over Mayfield, who is our QB for the next two years at least, is simply retarded.

There were no better options than Mayfield available to us either through FA or the draft. Mayfield won with this team, the lock room and leadership loves him, and quite frankly he earned the contract he received.

Fuck, just look at the Patriots to see what a dogshit franchise looks like after Brady left. We not only didn't skip a bear, but we were better in 2023 than we were with Brady the season prior.

Baker is a baller and he's here to stay. Get used to it.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:43 pm Arguing over Mayfield, who is our QB for the next two years at least, is simply retarded.

There were no better options than Mayfield available to us either through FA or the draft. Mayfield won with this team, the lock room and leadership loves him, and quite frankly he earned the contract he received.

Fuck, just look at the Patriots to see what a dogshit franchise looks like after Brady left. We not only didn't skip a bear, but we were better in 2023 than we were with Brady the season prior.

???????????????????????????????????????????

The only change that made us "better" was Canales
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:43 pm Arguing over Mayfield, who is our QB for the next two years at least, is simply retarded.

Unless Baker reverts back to the QB he has been most of his career. We already saw glimpses of that with the last 2 games against New Orleans and the pitiful Carolina Panthers. The Bucs barely made it into the playoffs while playing the 5th easiest schedule in the NFL. Baker in his career best year had the 18th best QBR in the NFL. Baker will need to improve over last season if the Bucs are going to make it to the playoffs next season.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:14 pm

Unless Baker reverts back to the QB he has been most of his career. We already saw glimpses of that with the last 2 games against New Orleans and the pitiful Carolina Panthers. The Bucs barely made it into the playoffs while playing the 5th easiest schedule in the NFL. Baker in his career best year had the 18th best QBR in the NFL. Baker will need to improve over last season if the Bucs are going to make it to the playoffs next season.
Which year? His rookie season where he won roty? Or his third season where he played great, and got the Browns to the playoffs for the first time since the Internet existed while beating Pittsburgh on the road? Or do you mean the Freddie Kitchens season, one of the worst HC hires of all time? Or maybe year 4 when he got injured and made the mistake of trying to play through it?

So far Baker has 5 full seasons that can be judged. Three of those seasons he played great while also winning playoff games in two of them. You'll need to specify which seasons you're afraid of him reverting back to.

I mean, Baker isn't a top 5 QB. Everyone knows that. But we can win with Baker and there will have to be MANY improvements to the roster before Mayfield becomes the weak point that's holding the team back and needs to be replaced.

I'm certainly feeling much better about having Baker with his contract than I do any other QB in our division.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That was a lot of words just to say you'd way over pay for a real bust QB because you misjudge both QBs and the bust is a little younger.

But hey, you named an alternative you would have done. Good post.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Charles Sims is applying for NFL disability.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:14 pm

The Bucs barely made it into the playoffs while playing the 5th easiest schedule in the NFL.
I posted this multiple times. Bucs SOS was .481 Twelve teams had the same SOS or easier. We are official tied with three other teams at 9. I am not saying it's much better because we were tied with teams like KC, Detroit, and Philly who all had better records than we did, but stop with this top 5 crap. But 100% was not top 5. Top 5 would be Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, and Miami. Notice 2 of them were in our division? Because they played the Panthers twice last year and we still wasn't top 5